Covenant Bay Bible Camp
Head Cook - Job Description
March 20, 2015
Responsible to: Director of Ministries (MD)
The Head Cook will meet weekly with the MD for mentoring, accountability and encouragement. The MD will check in daily with the Head Cook for troubleshooting, assistance and accountability.
The Head Cook will be prepared for all camps, programs and rental groups requiring food services. He or she will be responsible for food planning, preparation and delivery; will supervise and support kitchen staff and volunteers; will ensure that the kitchen facility and food preparation meets or exceeds health standards; and will ensure the kitchen and all equipment is clean and in safe working order daily. Experience cooking for large groups and a heart for ministry is necessary.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Food Planning, Preparation and Delivery
- Meets regularly with the MD to determine food requirements
- Create healthy menu’s
- Order food based on food budget
- Prepare food for each meal
- Serve meals as per camp schedules
- Purchase needed kitchen equipment as per budget parameters
Supervise kitchen staff and volunteers
- Work with MD to staff kitchen with paid and volunteer workers
- Assign kitchen staff and volunteer tasks and responsibilities and ‘on-the-job’ training as required
- Ensure kitchen staff and volunteers are meeting or exceeding job requirements
Meet or exceed Health Standards
- Ensure all members of the kitchen staff and volunteers follow safe food handling procedures
- Ensure the kitchen, ,kitchen equipment and food preparation meets or exceeds Public Health and Health Inspection requirements.
- Cooking experience and/or training
- Experience as a head cook preferred
- Experience with budgets and ability to provide food services within budget parameters
- Certificate of Food Handling Course
- The head cook will work long days preparing up to three meals per day plus snack(s)
- The head cook will have a cabin or trailer to live in through the summer months.
The Head Cook will receive 1 day of staff training which will include facility orientation, staff introductions, Covenant Bay’s policy and procedure review, review of compensation and workplace health and safety requirements.