Steps We Can Take Right Now
(Adapted from Steps for White Allies by Paul Kivel)
- Assume that social injustice exists and is everywhere- Assume it impacts your daily life and be aware of the patterns that exist around it.
- In everyday life take notice of who has the power in any given situation and examine why that may be true.
- Notice how social injustice is denied, minimized and justified.
- Learn about the history of injustice in this country and how it impacts our current lives.
- Recognize the interconnectedness of injustice, see how racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia and income inequality all impact each other.
- Take a stand against injustice- Take risks. It is scary, difficult, and may bring up feelings of inadequacy, lack of self-confidence, indecision, or fear of making mistakes, but ultimately it is the only healthy and moral human thing to do.
- Be strategic- Decide what is important to challenge and what is not.
- Don’t call names or be personally abusive.
- Support people who are impacted by social injustice in their fight for equality.
- Talk with your children and other young people about social injustice.