#171 - Into the Nexus: “Mid-Season Fallout”
• Garrett • Kyle • Jeff
Our Patrons support Into the Nexus at Patreon.com/ITN. If you enjoy the show consider supporting it with 25 cents, a dollar, or however you would like! We thank all our Patrons for their support!
Intro: Welcome to Into the Nexus! The Heroes of the Storm podcast!
Throw to Jeff to see how his Heroes experience has been lately.
- He’s hit no.1 on HotSlogs
Reminder, you can go to ITNcast.reddit.com to submit stories or upvote submissions for the next episode.
Finals (BOTH OF THEM) Fnatic VS Dignitas
If there’s one true proclamation of the Mid-Season Brawl it’s that both Fnatic and Dignitas completely deserved the finals. They were so evenly matched. It seemed like either of them could walk away with the trophy.
Fnatic went into the Grand Finals with a 1 Game lead because they never fell into the loser’s bracket.
The first pick/ban story for this series
Anub’arak, Genji, Uther, Abathur, Greymane
Mad Heroes Money
- Stitches stock way way up in Hero League
- Uther’s Level 7 Guardian of Ancient Kings is madness
- Valla seems to be official Monster Hunter
- Tassadar and Tyrande is viable
- Leaping Strike is in!
- Brightwing hate is flowing
G1 - Towers of Doom
- Brightwing pick at the end by Fnatic. While Polymorph is worth mentioning for it's counter potential against Zeratul, it's the level 4 pick of Peakaboo that made the pick come into full focus.
- Speaking of Brightwing: Fnatic_SmX’s godlike Cleanses
- Extremely close game. Constant back and forth with Fnatic initiating Core health leads multiple times with Dignitas evening the score shortly after each time and then pulling ahead big time in the final moments.
- It was the tie up I wanted. Get rid of that one point lead Fnatic had going into the series and let’s get a true finals rolling.
- SmX made Brightwing shine here for sure, but Bakery’s healing (and armor) on Uther was just too much to contend with by comparison.
G2 - Cursed Hollow
- Much better place to be picking Brightwing.
- They got Anub to soak Li-Ming shots. Both Illidan and Greymane are huge Polymorph targets. Emerald Wind to turn off the dive.
- The Muradin pick was suspect on the side of Dignitas. But can escape after the Stitches hook.
- Schwimpi going Hungering Arrow Valla
- Schwimpi’s Valla helping speed-burn the Boss is a good example of her DPS prowess we mentioned last week during our BoE Strat talk.
- The Greymane delete was sick on the Stitches hook + Gorge + Poly. Dig turning it around following was even sicker.
G3 - Infernal Shrines
- Loved Dignitas’s multi-push/multi-global draft with Zelia’s Dehaka and Mene’s Falstad.
- Also worth noting here is the Stitches team jumping.
- Dear Genji players, please watch Schwimpi around 10:30 disengage after ZERO Dragonblade value because it was a bad time to push for kills.
- Watching the back and forth in this game leaves me at a loss for intelligent discourse. This was Goku VS Vegeta.
- At 20 minutes Dig turned the tide in the scariest way possible: they started team fighting better than Fnatic who was more teamfight oriented but it was short lived.
- 21:00 Dirtiest fight ever. All kill in favor of Fnatic. SmX’s CLEANSE AGAIN!
- Tychus died 3 seconds off of Odin. Had he survived 3 more seconds. This could have been completely different.
G4 - Tomb of the Spider Queen
- We live in a world with a first-ban Stitches. Where Fnatic willingly gives Dignitas a first-pick Anub’arak.
- Medivh is so interesting here. Large monkey wrench, but with a Greymane, an undefeated Illidan (Dig had yet to lose a game where they drafted Illi up to this point), and Mene’s ace sniper Chromie, who do you protect against if they split targets wisely?
- This was the most one-sided looking game in the series to this point. Fnatic got a 7-2 lv.16-lv.14 lead by the 13 minute mark with complete map control.
- Nail biting beautiful ending. Lunara barely escaping a cocoon in time to help save Malf, and barely poisoning Illidan enough to kill him before stepping into the altar.
G5 - Battlefield of Eternity
- Tassadar/Tracer snap-pick by Dignitas
- So cool seeing decision-making like Fnatic pulling back even though they have the level 10 lead to defend the Punisher push.
- Dig made the sickest defensive call, knowing that they had a weak comp for Immortal defense. Zaelia hid in the smoke as Arthas and initiated a sick flank.
G6 - Sky Temple
- Was so happy to see a Kael’thas finally picked in this game.
- Wubby’s hook dodging is stupid on point
- Fnatic made amazing use of their globals versus that of Dignitas on Infernal Shrines.
- Fnatic owned that final game.
Tempo Storm Infographic
Tempo Storm Infographic
- Pretty clean top 3 Regions considering the results: EU > Korea > NA
Top Hero Picks: Are they good for solo-queueing at our ranks?
Top 3 Warriors
- Bronze - Silver: Yes
- Gold - Plat: Yes
- Diamond and above: Yes
Top 3 Assassins
Top 3 Supports
- Tassadar tied w/ Rehg
Top 3 Specialists
- 2 Assassin
- 2 Warrior
- 1 Support
2nd Most Common
- 1 Assassin
- 2 Warrior
- 2 Support
Highest Actual Win Rate
- 3 Assassin
- 1 Warrior
- 1 Support
2nd Highest Actual Win Rate
- 1 Assassin
- 2 Warrior
- 1 Support
- 1 Specialist
Patreon Mention: Patreon.com/ITN
Thanks to our Patreon producers Declan H, CheezyBob, and Mythdol.
- Guillaume Bérubé
- Nick Podrebarac
Hey ITN crew!
Love the show and wanted to throw out a strategy section idea because I've had some times recently in Hero League where I was unsure how to best draft in response to some weird shenanigans that have happened in draft. I'm currently high silver/low gold and have lost a couple of games in the following scenarios:
1. I'm last pick on my team and my teammates have gone all assassins/specialists. Would a support or warrior give us the best chance to win? Should we go ham and go with no support or warriors?
2. The other team has 4 assassins and a tank, and we have solo support Li Li. What's best way to punish a team without a support? Go double support with lots of sustain? Take an assassin to spread around damage?
3. On a map like Towers of Doom or Hanamura, if the other team goes all specialists what is the best way to punish that decision? Should we draft a gank squad or try to respond to their push with lots of lane clear and globals?
Any information you could provide to help us lower Hero League players avoid losing games like these would be awesome to hear!
Keep up the good work!
Long time listener and recent Patreon of the show. Listening to your strategy and news sections gives me an edge in the game that I appreciate a lot. I would have needed to play twice as many games a week to get up to speed. I wish I had that time on my hands.
I’ve been putting off writing this email for a while but when I heard that Kyle shares my birthday I had to wish you a happy (belated) one! Welcome to the 30’s club.
I would love for you to make a strategy section about countering certain heroes and their annoyances.
Things like what to do when:
- zagara is jumping lanes using her Nydus worm
- Sticky, Stealths and Globals
- D.Va’s constant Mech/pilot switches then following with a bunny hop
- Stay calm, target her down
- Malthael’s reaper’s mark healing
- Shouldnt have happened in the first place. Dodge the Death Shroud
- Samuro/Sonya’s constant camp steals
- Take them faster. Thats their whole plan.
- Kael’thas Burnt Flesh, Lane Clear
- Dehaka’s Solo lane and adaptation
- Sustain damage or Silence
- Dehaka has 4 lives
- The 1st
- Dig + Essense
- Hearth and Dig Back
The list goes on. A lot of that can be countered in the draft I’m sure but tips like what heroes counter these situations or how to make the best out of a QM with what you’ve got.
Thank you guys for the great work and keep it up!
You mentioned some (probably justified) hatred toward Raynor on Immortals... I'm wondering if his W would change your mind. That's +15% attack speed to allies for 6 seconds with a 10 second cooldown. May not amount to much unless paired with a Sylvanas or Gazlowe... but may be enough to make a huge difference w/ 5 heroes DPS.
Patreon Shout Out
ITN is supported by our badass Patrons. You can become a ITN Patron by going to Patreon.com/itn.
Thanks to our Patreon producers Declan H, CheezyBob, and Mythdol. ITN coffee mugs and glasses are over at bit.ly/amovestore.
Catch the live show Thursday nights at 8pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/Amovetv. Mobile live stream provided by Alpha Geek Radio. Go to mobile.alphageekradio.com.
Follow the show on Twitter @ITNcast, Facebook.com/Amovetv, And ITNpodcast.reddit.com.
Thanks to Brian Griffith, the musician responsible for our intro music. He can be found at briangriffithmusic.com or @briangriffith on twitter..
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
The Angry Chicken: A Hearthstone Podcast
The Angry Nerd
Just because we aren’t running ads at the top doesn’t mean these codes are any less awesome!
Our code, ITN, will get you a free 120gb SSD added to your already amazing Doghouse gaming PC.
The same code, ITN, will get you 30% off and free shipping on your entire order of noise-reducing earbuds from Tweaked Audio!