Association of Rural Community Halls Annual Meeting
July 25th, 2016 Milton Community Hall
Shari MacDonald, Milton Community Hall, ARCH President
Jeannette Blaquière, Village musical acadien
Zita Gallant, Coopérative de développement culturel et patrimonial de Mont-Carmel
Edmond Gallant, Coopérative de développement culturel et patrimonial de Mont-Carmel
Stephanie Sampson, St Peter’s Courthouse Theatre
Dylan Sampson, St Peter’s Courthouse Theatre
Francis Gallant, Cymbria Lions Club
Cara Stevenson, ARCH Summer Student
Regrets: Haley Zavo, Kings Playhouse; Hal Parker; Tanya Gallant, Cameleon Productions
- Call to Order and Introductions: Shari MacDonald called the meeting to order at 6:48 pm and welcomed those present, who had previously introduced themselves at the meal which preceded the meeting.
- Minutes of 2015 Annual Meeting: It was moved by Francis Gallant, and seconded by Edmond Gallant that the minutes of the May 25th, 2015 Annual Meeting be approved as circulated. Motion carried.
- Financial Statement: The financial statement for the 2015-2016 membership year was circulated. Opening Balance (March 31st, 2015) $1029.12 Revenue: Memberships (11 @ $50) $550.00 (New London Community Complex, Bonshaw Hall Co-Op, St Peter’s Courthouse, Murray River, Milton Community Hall, Tracadie Community Centre, King’s Playhouse, Souris Showhall, Centre Expo, Coopérative de développement culturel et patrimonial de Mont-Carmel, Linkletter) Government of Canada Cheque $441.55 Total Revenue: $991.55 Expenses: Payment to Minister of Finance $60.00 (Annual Returns 2014-2015) Credit Union Service Charge $12.57 Total Expenses: $72.57 Balance (March 31st, 2016) $1948.10 Moved by Stephanie Sampson, seconded by Jeannette Blaquière that the financial statement for 2015-2016 be approved as presented. Motion carried.
- Annual Reports:
- President: Shari MacDonald spoke of how efforts were focused on the Presenter’s Network, a project funded by the Department of Canadian Heritage and managed through the Atlantic Presenter’s Association. Tanya Gallant of Cameleon Productions has been working with the APA and has held several meetings to discuss the Network and provide professional development to the halls, regarding presenting shows. Throughout the year Shari sent sporadic emails to the halls to share information, especially regarding funding opportunities or other deadlines. She also made application for a summer student to provide services to members over the summer.
- Summer Student: Cara Stevenson was hired on as ARCH’s summer student for a period of eight weeks. She spoke of what she had accomplished during the first half of those eight weeks. Some of those things include website updates, creating a new ARCH email address, organization of ARCH documents, and research of funding opportunities.
Guest Speaker: Marcel Arsenault of Cooke’s Insurance spoke about Risk Management, Liquor Liability, and Directors and Officers’ Liability Insurance. He suggested that risk management can benefit your halls by reducing a hall’s risk of claims and helping maintain lower insurance premiums. Regarding liquor liability, it is imperative that if you serve liquor, your servers must participate in a responsible servers training course. Staff members should be taught how to identify signs of intoxication, monitor consumption, offer continued service, deny service in a manner designated by your hall, and fill out an incident report if an incident occurs, in order to reduce your liability. He spoke of employee consequences with regards to both civil and criminal liability. He noted that directors and officers must exercise the duty of diligence, duty of loyalty, and duty of obedience to the bylaws.
- Old Business:
- Presenter’s Network: The ARCH/APA Presenter’s Network tour, facilitated by Tanya Gallant of Cameleon Productions, has been providing participating ARCH Members with professional development on presenting shows, covering topics such as branding, budgeting, booking shows, riders, ticketing, and sponsorships. Some of the halls that showed an initial interest hesitating due to financial risk. Risk funding is available, and it is hoped that if the pilot project is successful, future (most likely, increased) funding build on the success and make bringing more “big name” acts to local halls.
- New Business:
- Summer Student: Suggestions for things the summer student would be able to accomplish during the rest of her time were welcomed. It was suggested that the focus be on increasing membership.
- Project: Unofficial positive word was received regarding a possible exchange with Quebec performers. More details will be forthcoming as soon as possible.
- Website: The Association of Rural Community Halls website is not working properly. The two options are the website designer who fixed it last time has offered to rebuild the website for $500, as opposed to the regular cost of $1000, which would include a year’s worth of help with the website. The other option is to have this same website designer tinker with the website and see if he can get to the root of the problem, for a fee of $50/hour for an unknown number of hours. With the latter option, the $500 may end up getting spent with no results. Francis Gallant moved to rebuild the website for the $500 fee, and it was seconded by Jeannette Blaquière. Motion carried.
- Budget: The proposed budget for the 2016-2017 membership year was presented by Shari MacDonald. Balance Forward (April 1st, 2016) $1948.10 Income: Memberships (10 @ $50) $500 Summer Job Funding $3225 Total Income: $3725 Expenses: Summer Job Salary and MERCS $3825 WCB $50 Website $500 Annual Return $20 Bank Fees $20 Total Expenses: $4415 Projected Balance 2017 $1258.10
- It was moved by Dylan Sampson and seconded by Edmond Gallant that Jeannette Blaquière and Shari MacDonald be approved as officers for ARCH PEI for the 2016-2017 membership year. Motion carried. There is still a need for at least four more board members. The board has the ability to add board members through the year. The halls represented will check with their membership to see if anyone is interested in serving on the board.
- Signing Authority: It was moved by Francis Gallant and seconded by Zita Gallant that Jeannette Blaquière and Shari MacDonald be approved as signing officers for ARCH PEI. Motion carried.
- Adjournment: As there was no further business to be discussed, Stephanie Sampson moved that the meeting be adjourned and President Shari MacDonald declared it so at 8:23 pm.