Community Networking Group - Steering Committee
Meeting Notes: April 6, 2016
Present: Beal, Ferson, Kiscaden, Lun, Sobol, Stormer
Community Indicators Project:
- CNG has a general oral agreement with DMC, J2G to use Minnesota Compass as a common data source and Wilder Research as the contractor. There has been a verbal agreement with DMC and J2G to work toward using a common set of indicators for broad measures of community economic and social vitality and well-being.
- In addition, Wilder Research is developing a contract with DMC for the specific indicators that DMC will require.
- It is anticipated that Journey to Growth will contract with Wilder Research to assist it with the county profiles that it anticipates developing.
CNG Community Indicators Project:
Suggested Name: Olmsted Compass Points (Note: Name not part of our discussion to date, will need to be confirmed.)
- CNG should launch the project as soon as possible, with the goal of having the first Olmsted Compass Points 2016 available by September, 2016.
- The indicators report will focus on county level data, using the current Minnesota Compass key measures in 13 topic areas current used in the Compass Points 2016 report.
- The benchmarks for comparison for trends will be national ranks (not a comparison to Minnesota or SE MN Counties.)
- It is anticipated in future years, there be discussion of expanding topic areas and/or changing some key measures to reflect community needs and preferences. Note: Minnesota Compass is in the process of developing the Arts topic area, which has a concern by CNG members. CNG members were also concerned about the adequacy of the mental health indicator (psychiatric admissions.)
- The Olmsted Compass Points 2016 Report will use the 13 topic areas/categories of key measures currently used in the Minnesota Compass 2016 report.
CNG Sponsors Secured: It was reported that the $10,000 funding target has been met, with some requests still pending. At this point, the full list of current sponsors and pending sponsors include:
- Olmsted County and City of Rochester: $3,000 each
- Rochester Area Foundation and United Way: $1, 000 each
- Mayo: $1,500
- Chamber of Commerce ???
- Pending: Rochester Downtown Alliance
Rochester Public Schools
- Rochester Area Foundation has agreed to be the fiscal agent for 2016 and will contract with Wilder Research.
- It had previously been agreed to community organizations could be listed as a sponsor if they made financial contribution or as a supporter, without making a financial contribution.
- Wilder staff have suggested that working with a small group of local stakeholders would facilitate the development of the project. As part of their contract, Wilder Research is willing to provide some facilitation/convening for that group which will be used to develop the specifics of the community indicators.
- The Community Networking Group will establish a Committee to provide project oversight and to interface with Wilder Research. Members of the Committee will be limited to representatives of the groups that are financial contributors to the project.
- Members identified to date:
- JoAnn Stormer
- Pete Giesen
- Sheila Kiscaden
- Al Lun
- United Way
- Audrey Betcher
- Mayo---- perhaps the researcher from Population Research who attended our first meeting with Wilder Research last summer?
- City: Jeff Ellerbusch was suggested by Mitzi Baker
Charge to the Olmsted Compass Points Committee: The specific charge to the Compass Points Committee will need to be developed. At this point, it has been agreed that the Committee will:
- Review the contract and agreement with Wilder.
- Determine the formats of the 2016 report: printed, website, etc.
- Determine which trends/narrative will be reflected in the narrative on the front and back cover of the Olmsted Compass Points 2016 report.
- Determine which agencies will be listed as sponsors/supporters
- Recommend how the report will be disseminated
- Determine the interval for future reports….annual, biannual, other?4
- Begin identifying what modifications for future reports would be determined
- Discuss the potential for coordination of future reports with other community organizations such as Public Health, DMC, and J2G
Schedule of CNG Upcoming Meetings:
April 28: Updates on CNG Projects
- Launching the Community Indicators Project
- Status Report: Funding and Sponsors
- Proposed Governance/Committee: confirm structure, name, membership
- Target Date for Publication
- Distribute Compass Points 2016
- Status of the Healthy Community Framework
- Update on City’s Comprehensive Plan
- Update on Improving Transit for Access to the Service Sector
May 26: Affordable Housing Plans (proposed speakers…JoAnn Stormer to Coordinate)
Steve Borchardt, Rochester Area Foundation
Cheryl Jacobson, Housing and Redevelopment Authority
June 23: Labor Force Shortage Impacts on Services Sector (proposed speakers…Jerome Ferson to coordinate.)
Jenny Retmann- Workforce Development, Inc.
Julie Nigon-- Hawthorne Education Center
Business and Workforce Education
DEED: Labor Force Trends – Mark Schultz