Macedon Public Library Board of Trustees
Minutes of the May 22, 2017 Meeting
Youth section of Macedon Public Library
Macedon New York
Present: Helen Darrow (President), Stacey Wicksall (Director), Gary Crane (Financial Officer), Carol Deys, Nancy Simpson (Secretary), Chris Harris (Treasurer), and June Hamell (Scribe) and Kathy Koehler (Scribe in Training).
Visitor(s): Barb Tiberio, Judy Longyear, Amy Balcerek and Karen Yatteau.
Absent: Steve Hanrahan (Vice President), Christina Henley, Halin Perera and Sandy Pagano (Town Board Liaison)
H. Darrow, President, called the regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Macedon Public Library to order at 6:40 p.m.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA, APRIL MINUTES, DIRECTOR’S REPORT (PREREAD), BULLIS REPORT (PREREAD), ABSTRACT REVIEW: RESOLVED, on motion by N. Simpson to approve the above named reports with a second from C. Deys. Motion carried. Friends/CRUMPL report was not available.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: The Director’s report was sent to all trustees prior to the meeting for review. The Director reported that she attended National Advocacy in Washington, DC; Wayne Co. Business Council meeting; Grand Opening of Tri-R floors as part of the Chamber of Commerce. The Director presented at PLS regarding fine structures; at the Entrepreneurial Workshop regarding resources the library has; offered Memory Lane for those with dementia. She also submitted grant to the Friends and received NASA eclipse glasses as a mini-grant. The Director also ordered materials for circulation.
.APPROVAL OF EXPENDITURES: RESOLVED, that payment be made of claims 56-71 of Abstract 4-2017 inclusive in the amount of $7,517.18 on a motion by N. Simpson and with a second by C. Deys. Motion carried.
There was discussion of the following old business but because there was no quorum no action could be taken.
1. The Collection Development section will be the next to be reviewed in the Policy Manual.
There was discussion of the following new business items but because there was no quorum no action could be taken.
1. Increasing Julia’s hours from 35 to 38 hours per week.
2. Adding another wheeled platform in the children’s area.
3. It was suggested that Stacey and staff make up a list of wanted repairs of the library, in priority order, as documentation. This list would then be presented to the Town Supervisor.
4. Stacey would like more relevant artwork hanging in the library, such as Marshall Handfield’s photo of Lock 30. Since this would amount to less than $250 it would not be necessary for Board action to be taken.
5. Since the 259 referendum was voted down C. Deys presented alternative fundraising ideas. Advertising for a new Board member with grant writing skills was discussed, as well as exploring the possibility of changing the by-laws to include representatives on the Board from other local communities.
READING FROM THE TRUSTEE HANDBOOK: The Section entitled “Library Board Organization” was read by President H. Darrow.
ADJOURNMENT: RESOLVED, that the meeting adjourn at 8:05 p.m., on motion by G. Crane and second by H. Darrow. Motion carried. The next meeting will be June 26, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the Library.
June Hamell (Kathy Koehler)