Be a Part of the CampHERO Mentor Network!
The CampHERO Mentor Network is a group of women that work or volunteer in protective services who are committed to connecting with girls/young women to help them discover themselves and their values; connect with others; and take action to make the world a better place. Mentors will offer guidance in reaching the goal of becoming a police officer, firefighter, EMT/paramedic or dispatcher.
The CampHERO Mentor Network is a Girl Scout group, designed as such to assure high quality programming and to protect volunteers and girls. All members agree to abide by Girl Scout policies and procedures, Safety Checkpoints and the CampHERO Mentor Network guidelines, in order to assure the safety of all members.
Mentors and mentees may connect with each other in a formal (meetings, classes, etc.) and/or informal (facebook, skype, email, etc.) manner.
To become a member of the CampHERO Mentor Network and maintain membership
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request participation.
- Be or become a Girl Scout member by completing the membership registration form and paying the membership fee. (renewed on an annual basis: October 1st-September 30th). Those who attended CampHERO are already registered through September 30th of the same year.
- Must have a current volunteer application and background check on file with Girl Scouts of WI – Badgerland Council (renewed on an annual basis)
- Must complete the CampHERO Mentor Network training and orientation
- Must be in the 9th-12th grade.
- Must have written parental consent to participate.
Resigning from CampHERO Mentor Network
- Members may resign from the CampHERO Mentor Network at anytime by emailing CampHERO@charter.net
- If Girl Scout membership is not renewed (September 30th of each year), membership will be dropped.
CampHERO Mentor Network Guidelines
The CampHERO Mentor Network is a new group and as such may
change these proposed guidelines as appropriate.
- All Girl Scout of Wisconsin-Badgerland Council Volunteer Policies shall be followed.
- Personal information is not to be shared with anyone other than CampHERO Mentor Network members for any reason.
- Communication between members shall remain friendly, professional and appropriate.
- One-on-one communication between adults and girls is strongly discouraged. At least two mentors, or a mentor and a parent, should be privy to communication at all times.
- Emails and messages (Facebook, Twitter, text, etc) between adults and girls should be cc’d to a second adult mentor or parent.
- Phone/Skype conversations should be a conference call with more than one adult mentor when possible and should be summarized in writing and sent to a second adult mentor when conference calling is not possible.
- In face-to-face meetings two council-approved adults must be present at all times and at least one of those volunteers must be female and not related to the other adult. At no time is a girl to be alone with only one volunteer.
- Members will communicate regularly with parents.
- The following are recommendations for members who wish to communicate via on-line social media including, but not limited to websites, Facebook, Linked In, Twitter, etc.
- Set all the security settings to private/restricted/etc.
- Remember that everything you post is being viewed by girls as young as 13.
- Use girls’ first names only.
- Never post girls’ addresses, phone numbers, or e-mail addresses.
- Never, ever, ever post addresses of group meeting places or dates and times of meetings, events, or trips. (An adult volunteer who wishes to communicate upcoming events with families of girls should use e-mail)
- Any use of online video sharing sites (such as YouTube), where the video is representing Girl Scouts or Girl Scout products, must follow specific requirements for that site, as well as council guidelines. Girl Scout photo/video/Internet/Web release forms must also be signed by parents/guardians and any adults pictured.