Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
07.20.15 at 6:30 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved 08.24.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 6:42 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Julie Bell, Member; Chad Fish, Member; Kathy Stemmler, Member; Josh Warinner, ED (via phone); Susan Likes, BM
Community Members: None
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Julie Bell
Next Montessori Moment: Tamia
- Approval of the June 15, 2015 and June 19, 2015 (Special Meeting) Minutes: Kathy moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Julie B. moved to approve the agenda as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: no discussion
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – June 15, 2015”
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Retreat Committee: meet ASAP
- Retreat Committee: meet regularly and file a board report at the next board meeting.
- Josh: review the Performance Management Plan in the Evaluation and Hiring folder.
- Nominations and Board Development Committee: set up the nominations schedule for the 2015-2016 year (August)
- Julie S and Josh: meet to fill out the board assessment and then sent it out to the board for comments.
- Nominations Committee: review a succession plan, create a list of “needs” that our boards have and focus more attention on filling committee member seats. Re-review the nominations process with perhaps reconsidering the approach to align more with a typical “job interviewing process”… (1st attend a BOD mtg., 2nd apply, and 3rd set up an interview with the board).
- All BOD members: review the bylaws (found in Google docs).
- Everyone: review the following document in Google: Kiva Shared Documents/Additional Documents/Board, Committees, and Organizations. Be prepared to review this document at the August BOD meeting.
- Tamia: review the board reporting processes to reflect the agenda being set by the Executive Director for the August BOD meeting.
- Consent Agenda – not applicable
- BOD President – Julie
- Executive Committee Report – no report
- BOD Agreement Letter
- Read aloud and signed by all board members.
- We all need to be well versed in our bylaws! Available in Google.
- Committees & Organizations
- Action Item – Julie will contact Anna regarding contacts for Kathy for the Curriculum Committee.
- Julie went through each committee and discussed needs. Everyone needs to review this list and be prepared to discuss it at our next board meeting.
- Review/add to the nominations list for someone who might be able to assist with the Development & Fundraising Committee and/or Finances.
- Swear in all members – postponed until the next board meeting.
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- Report – no report due to end of fiscal year
- Action Item – Tamia will include separate CH and E/M S folders for BOD reports from the Budget & Finance Committee.
- Executive Director – Josh
- CCSP – Julie mentioned that we need to review the trainings with staff and get a schedule set. Susan mentioned that the schedule is not available yet. As soon as the schedule becomes available Josh will need to set these trainings with board and staff.
- Action Item – Josh will set the CCSP training schedule with board and staff once it becomes available.
- Student and Parent Handbook
- Action Item – Josh will complete the handbook and have it available for board review next week.
- Special BOD Meeting – August 3rd at 6:30 pm via Go To Meeting
- Meeting Agenda Items: Handbook and Building Updates
- Action Item – Julie will set up the Go To Meeting and inform the board via email with the logistics of the meeting.
- Business Manager – Susan
- Approval of bids for a copier
- Nate moved to approve the bid for the Canon Color Copier from ImageNet Consulting as set forth in their proposal. Motion seconded, all in favor. Motion carried.
- Approval of Fire Extinguishers
- Nate moved to approve the proposal and bid from ABC Fire & Safety to include the purchase of five (5), five (5) lb. fire extinguishers. Motion seconded, all in favor. Motion carried.
- Dolores State Bank Resolution
- Nate moved to approve the resolution for Susan to speak to Dolores State Bank regarding all finances. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Tamia signed the resolution and gave it to Susan.
- The signed resolution, as implied within the resolution, only applies to Susan as the Business Manager.
- Action Item – Tamia will create a “Resolutions” folder within the “Shared Kiva Documents” on Google.
- Additional Committee Reports (uploaded to Google)
- Building & Locations
- Nate presented a list of everything that needs to be done at 18 N. and 25 N. Beech. The majority of the renovations need to be completed prior to the start of school.
- Nate moved that we contract Jeff Booton as a General Contractor to oversee the renovations of 18 N. and 25 N. Beech St. at the rate of $1,500 per week for a maximum of 4 weeks. Motion seconded, all in favor. Motion carried.
- Nate moved to approve a total budget of $50,000 to cover all renovations of 18 N. and 25 N. Beech St. and for the renovations to be managed by the General Contractor. Motion seconded, all in favor. Motion carried.
- Nominations – Recruitment and Nominations timelines – tabled
- New Business
- Action Item – Tamia will create a “School History” folder in Google.
- Shared Board Information
- The E/M S BOD meeting has been changed to August 24th due to the 17th being the first day of school. Does the CH BOD want to consider changing their date as well or keeping it the same?
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- July 17-23 – ED in New York for Montessori Training
- Office opens July 29th (Admin Assistant starts Aug. 3rd)
- Enrollment Meeting – August 6th at 12:30 pm
- Registration – August 10th from 8 am to 5 pm and August 11th from 1 to 7 pm
- Teachers report Aug 10th
- School Starts Aug 17th
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, August 3, 2015 at 6:30 pm
- Action Item – Josh will note this special meeting on the website.
- Monday, August 24, 2015 at 6:30 pm
- Action Item – Josh will note this change on the website.
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- Board Retreat – TBD
- Retreat Committee Report – August
- CDE CCSP Grant Required Training Schedule – postponed until dates are available
- BOD updates to Josh for the newsletter; this was previously completed by Anna – August
- Curriculum Committee/Board: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Nominations of officers – August
- Review Boards, Committees, Organizations document in Google – August (perhaps joint meeting)
- Susan will present the Personal Time policy – August
- Nominations and Board Development Committee: set up the nominations schedule for the 2015-16 year - August
- Swear in all BOD members - August
- Adjournment: Nate moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:53 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary