Banneker Elementary School —
Uniform Clothing Guidelines 2016-17
- Colors – White, Light Blue, Navy, Black, Khaki
- Shirts must have sleeves ranging from short to full length
- Shirt types may include – polo, turtleneck, dress, or plain collard.
- Shirts may not have – lettering, pictures, logos, labels, or designs
- Shirts must fit students and be tucked in at all times
- Students may wear – sweaters, crewnecks, v-necks, cardigan vests, or sweatshirts in Light Blue, Navy, Burgundy, or Black with a collared shirt underneath. ***All long sleeve undershirts must be solid (plain) white, navy, black, grey.
- No hoodies or jackets will be allowed in the building.
Pants, Shorts and Skirts
- Colors- Navy, Khaki, Black (No denim jeans, sweatpants, sport pants, or cargo pants with side pockets).
- Pant Styles- Slacks, Shorts, Skirts, Skorts, Jumpers
- Styles must fit at the waist or a belt must be worn. Sagging will not be allowed.
- Hems of slacks must not drag on the ground.
- Hems of shorts, skirts, skorts, and jumpers must be no shorter than mid-thigh. (When the student is standing up straight with their hands at their side)
- Leggings and tights need to be solid (plain) white, black, gray or navy blue.
- Students may wear tennis shoes, boots and dress shoes. No sandals, open toed shoes, or flip flops.
Additional Uniform Requirements for all students
- All styles must fit the student.
- Headwear may be worn only if approved for religious reasons.
- Articles related to gangs or gang activities such jewelry, emblems, symbols, or other related items will be prohibited.
Rational for School Uniform Policy
- A uniform will allow students to be less immersed in following fashion trends and more focused on learning and achieving.
- Uniforms encourage students to develop their personal attributes in ways other than dress such as, personality, Intellect, effort, and skills.
- Evidence shows that enforced uniform policies bring a level of safety to a school, a decline in truancy and an increase in attendance.
- Uniforms bring an image of success to a school.
Special Situations When Dress Code May Change
- Spirit days will specified on school calendar.
- Banneker spirit wear may be worn in place of school uniform shirt at any time.
- Dress down days will occur the last day of each month…dates will be listed in the school calendar. No more jeans on Fridays!