1 T. bacon fat (or less) or oil/shortening
3-5 lb. bone-in pork butt (can use boneless, too - I use what’s on sale)
1 T. adobo (I like Penzey’s)
1 T. ancho chile powder
1 t. chipotle (or more, for spicier pork)
1 T. kosher salt
1 jalapeno, small dice
1 onion, small dice
1 c. orange juice
2 t. liquid smoke
1-2 T. vegetable oil
- Rub bacon fat on the inside of the slow cooker to coat.
- Mix all ground spices and rub on the meat to coat.
- Place meat in slow cooker fat side up.
- Sprinkle diced jalapeno and onion over meat.
- Add orange juice and liquid smoke.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours until meat shreds easily.
- Remove pork and shred. Skim fat and reserve 1 c. juices.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Scatter shredded pork in skillet and brown one side.
- Return browned pork to reserved juices and serve in tacos, burritos, or other dishes, as desired.