Quiz Chapter 9 Sections 1 & 2 10 Easy Questions
1) How did Congress finally agree to address George Washington, the first president?
A. His Highness
B. Mr. President
C. His Excellency
2) To whom did Washington turn for help in solving the challenges facing the new nation?
A. the members of his party in the House of Representatives
B. the United States Senate
C. his cabinet
D. the British
3) Which document set up the federal court system?
A. the Constitution of the United States
B. the Articles of the Confederation
C. the Federal Judiciary Act of 1789
D. the Alien and Sedition Acts
4) Why did Hamilton want to place tariffs (taxes) on foreign goods?
A. to ensure a steady flow of income
B. to encourage Americans to buy American goods
C. to encourage the growth of American industry
D. All of the above
5) Who was the first vice-president and the second president?
A. Alexander Hamilton
B. Henry Knox
C. John Adams
D. Thomas Jefferson
6) How did Alexander Hamilton deal with the nation's financial problems?
A. He asked the states to pay off the nation's huge war debts.
B. He asked Congress to put a tax on imported foreign goods. (Tarif)
C. He borrowed money from foreign countries.
D. He decided not to repay U.S. loans from other nations.
7) Why did Alexander Hamilton believe the nation needed to pay its debts?
A. Nations that had made loans threatened to invade the United States.
B. Other countries would not do business with the United States.
C. Paying the debts would make the nation stronger.
D. All of the above
8) Who of the following set important precedents for the executive branch of government?
(a) George Washington
(b) Alexander Hamilton
(c) Edmund Randolph
(d) Thomas Jefferson
9) Under Hamilton’s financial plan, the main source of government revenue was
(a) income taxes
(d) interest from loans.
10) The Cabinet member in charge of handling relations between the United States and other nations is the
(a) Secretary of the Treasury
(b) Secretary of War
(c) Secretary of State
(d) Attorney General.