The Aurasma (“Augmented Reality”) App allows you to scan a hard copy of an image or poster, and a video will pop up. Similar to QR codes but way cooler (try it, you’ll see).
NOTE: These instructions are how to use Aurasma on the iPad. Creating auras online at studio.aurasma.com/ is different.
A) How to read an Aurasma-fied image:
1. Download the Aurasma app (FREE!)
2. Open it. The app will open automatically to the scanner to begin with. (Try scanning this Robbie Burns image on the Aurasma website: it’s great! Use your computer to go to the link, then your iOS device to scan the image.)
3. To see my students’ Aura’s (after you viewed the Robbie Burns Aura above, just move your ipad away from your computer to re-load the scanner, then) click the “A” at the bottom of the screen (looks like a tent).
4. Click on the “Search” icon at the bottom:
5. Search for me:
6. Scroll down and click on me:
7. Click on “Follow”. THIS IS CRITICAL!!! You can only view the Auras of people you are following.
8. Now click on the “Scan” icon at the middle bottom of your screen:
9. Scan the poster/image that has been Aurasma-fied (this is called the “Trigger image”). The creator should have put the Aurasma icon on it somewhere, like this (but it is possible that they didn’t):
10. Try scanning this image now. A video should pop up! (made with Pic Collage)
11. Note: you need to scan a trigger image before you can see the video. Therefore, you will not be able to see the videos on someone’s Aurasma channel unless you have the trigger image that goes with it (which, unfortunately, are not included on peoples’ channels.) Thus, it does not make sense to follow peoples’ channels if you don’t have the trigger images to go with them.
B) How to create an Aurasma
1. You should have a video in your iPad camera roll ready to go (called an “Overlay”), and an image/poster that you want to Aurasma-fy (a “Trigger Image”.) You can print the image out or keep it on your computer for now (not on your iPad).
2. Open the Aurasma app. The app will open automatically to the scanner to begin with.
3. Click the “A” at the bottom of the screen (looks like a tent).
4. Click on the Plus sign at the bottom:
5. Click on “Device” at the bottom:
6. Click on the Plus sign, top right hand corner (This app is a bit glitchy. You may need to click on the Plus sign several times):
7. Click on “Photo Album”.
7. Find your video, and click “Use”:
8. Give your video (“Overlay”) a name and click “Finish”:
9. Click on the video, then “Select”:
10. Now you need to scan your trigger image/poster. You can scan it from a hard copy if you have printed it out, or you can scan it from your computer. Remember to include the “Aurasma Scan me” image in your image/poster. Click here for a pre-made icon that you can use (do a screenshot of it and add to your image).
(Note: I used Pic Collage to make this poster)
11. Notice the bar at the bottom of your screen. The circle should be as far right as possible (on the green). This signifies that the image is a good one ie. it will work.
12. Now click the camera icon, bottom right hand corner.
13. The video will start playing. Click the arrow, bottom right hand corner:
14. Give the video/Overlay a name, and click on “Public”.
15. You might get an Alert here asking you “Join to unlock this feature”. Click “Join”. Fill out boxes and click “Join”.
16. You will see this again. Make sure you have clicked on “Public”.
17. Add to a Channel? Switch to “Yes”:
18. Now you will be asked to create your channel. You need to do this if you want to share your Auras.
19. I would recommend uploading your image here (“Tap to add thumbnail”) to make it easier to find your channel. Click “Finish” when done, and “Finish” again.
20. Eventually you will see this:
21. From this screen, scan your Trigger Image and see if it works.
22. Please let me know if you create some cool Auras with your students; I would love to see them!