Science/Scientific Method Notes
- Science is the knowledge obtained by observing natural events and conditions in order to discover facts and formulate laws or principles that can be verified or tested.
Science is a process, not just a set of facts.
Science is the process of gathering knowledge about the natural world.
- scientific method – the way in which scientists answer questions
- purpose – a question you are trying to answer
- hypothesis – a scientific guess or prediction
- experiment (lab) – testing the hypothesis and
collecting data (pieces of information)
- analysis – organizing the data into charts and
7. conclusion – a summary of what you have learn - guides what you do next – an answer to your question
- communicate – sharing your work with others
who will reproduce it and verify your results –
provides research material
- control- Standard used for comparison in experiment
- independent variable- Factor changed in an experiment
- dependent variable- Factor measured or observed in experiment
- constant- variable that stays the same in an experiment