Changes in Intervention
Each of these changes constitutes a new intervention, and is decided upon by the team. These are the options available for academic and behavioral intervention changes.
1. Add 15 or more minutes per intervention session (e.g., extra time could be used to pre-teach vocabulary or core content). Reduce group size by 2-3 students.
2. Add a behavior plan and/or attendance intervention to increase instructional time, motivation, and/or attention.
3. Change curriculum according to protocol if the current intervention is not addressing the student’s needs. This change should be based on additional assessment (phonics screener, core program assessment, intervention placement test, etc.).
4. Add curriculum according to protocol based on additional assessment (phonics screener, core program assessment, intervention placement test, etc.) to provide additional practice on targeted skills.
5. The team may decide that the student needs more time in the current intervention along with a refinement in the instructional delivery based on the needs of the student by increasing the intensity of the intervention.
RTIi Handbook – Resources – Changes in Intervention