Stop Just Talking About 21st Century Skills,
It Is Time to be Doing!
A dozen things educators need to do for today’s students
http://tinyurl.com/21stSkillOES or http://tinyurl.com/21stSkillDoc
- Stop “teaching from the textbook”- previously textbooks were the only practical means of bringing together all of the information for teaching a class. Recent 1:1 & BYOD provide students 24/7 access to an immense store of knowledge. Now there is no good reason to be restrained by the "one size fits all" aggregation of knowledge we call textbooks.
- Ditch the “turn in the assignment product & get a final grade” model and move to a “continuous collaborative, editing, improving process” model.
- It’s not cheating it’s collaboration; almost everywhere, except schools, will expect them to work with others- to solve problems, brainstorm, create opportunities, edit and proofread, share and instruct & learn from one another.
- Informational Literacy- teach 5 simple ways to quickly improve almost any web search; follow-up by teaching detailed advanced searching skills.
- Media Literacy- teach them to critically evaluate information from all sources.
- In a world of brimming with video, images and audio, YouTube and Photo-Shop-- Media and Visual Literacy are essential skills rivaling traditional textual literacy.
- Flip, Blend and/or Hybrid your class.
- “Teach above your head”- if you feel completely comfortable and in control-- You are preparing your students for your past and not their futures.
- Do Not Teach the Trivia-- What is the Trivia? Any question that can be answered by your phone in seconds.
- Move Up Bloom Scale-- When you do- students become interactive and self learners, plagiarism plummets & future lessons benefit from the skills built.
- Differentiate & Deviate-- Students Learn Differently-Teach to everyone. Even though most teachers are Verbal/Linguistic learners not all of the students are. Give all of the different learning styles a turn to excel.
- Share your resources with other teachers & borrow their ideas for your lessons.
The views expressed here do necessary represent the views of SPARCC,
Conferences and/or session sponsors where I am presenting and/or the attendees.
This is meant to encourage all educators and not to offend them.
Resources & Contact Information
#1 Stop “Teaching from the Textbook” Resources
#2 Ditch “turn in the assignment product & get a final grade” Resources
#3 It’s not Cheating it’s Collaboration Resources
#4 Informational Literacy- The must have Tool for Today’s Students!- Resources
- Recursive Web Searching Flowchart
- Climbing Up & Down the Tree
- Hunters & Gatherers Searching Poster
- Never Search with a Single Word. (you probably will not find what you want and you may be shocked by what you find!)
- Find the Best Words for the Search. (One great place to find best word is a quick Wikipedia Search)
- Remember the first few searches are to find the best words to search with. (that’s why its called REsearch)
- Learn how to quickly review the search results page for best possibilities
- To find a specific word within a page you have found use command Ctrl-F
#5 & #6 Media & Visual Literacy
#8. “Teach Above Your Head”- Resources
Independent Learning- LTDSNT: Learn To Do Something New Today!-
#9 & #10 Do Not Teach the Trivia & Move Up Bloom Scale- Resources
#11. Differentiate & Deviate-- Students Learn Differently-Teach to everyone. - Resources
I DISAGREE with most of the author’s conclusions and don’t think they are myths!)
#12. Share your resources
- Consider joining one of Anthony’s Edmodo Groups--
- 12 Things You Should Know to be Computer/Tech Literate-
- Advanced Web Searching Skills-
- One:One Computer Strategies, Tips & Tricks- http://tinyurl.com/OneOneComputer
- Stop Just Talking About 21st Century Skills, It Time To Be Doing! A Dozen Things Educators Need To Do For Today’s Students -