MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting

07.18.16 at 6:30 pm – 18 N. Beech

BOD Approved on 08.15.16

  1. Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 6:39 pm.

  1. Roll Call: Nate Seeley, President; Julie Suckla, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Kathy Stemmler, Member (via phone); JenniLynn Lawrence, Member (via phone)

Absent from BOD: Chad Fish, Treasurer; Kathy Clark, Member

Staff: Susan Likes, HOS; Aaron Knox, FD

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

Montessori Moment –

Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – Chad

  1. Approval of the Previous Minutes
  1. 06.20.16 - Regular Meeting
  2. 06.29.16 - Special Meeting

Julie moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

  1. Approval of Agenda: JenniLynn moved to approve the agenda as presented, seconded, no discussion, all approved.  Motion carried.

  1. Community Member Forum
  1. n/a

  1. Staff Comments
  1. n/a

  1. Consent Agenda
  1. n/a

  1. Reports:

  1. BOD President
  1. Proposed brewery in Harp buildings - see Regulation 47-326 of the Colorado Liquor Rules - 500 foot rule.  Does the Board want to take a position?
  1. We feel that is it the obligation and responsibility of the incoming business and the City to follow regulations.  We have no desire to take a stance and wish the new business well.
  1. The board welcomes Aaron Knox as our FD.

  1. Budget & Financial Oversight Committee (Chad)
  1. Report

  1. Head of School (Susan)
  1. Report
  2. Approval of Student / Parent Handbook
  1. JenniLynn moved to approve the Student/Parent Handbook as presented, seconded, no discussion, all approved.  Motion carried.
  1. Discussion regarding Board training credits for grant requirements
  1. Kathy Clark and JenniLynn need to have modules completed by September 30, 2016.
  2. All other obligation met.
  1. Handout: Three Big Goals of 2016-2017 school year (Susan)
  1. Susan will prepare a PowerPoint presentation to share with families at our Back to School BBQ.  Our goal is to increase academic rigor!
  2. Susan asked for the blessing of the board to enforce attendance.  Given.  We can not get to a higher level of academic excellence if we don’t strongly enforce attendance.

  1. Finance Director (Susan)
  1. Report
  2. Review and Approve June 30 Financials
  1. No approval needed at this time.
  1. Ideally we need to get to 111 days/$245k of cash flow for a capital campaign.
  2. We are paying our current note back (renovations on current buildings) very aggressively in the hopes to have it paid off prior to moving out.

  1. Fundraising Committee (Julie)
  1. Review proposed fundraising policy.  First Reading - for information only (See RE-1 policy BG - School Board Policy Process)
  1. Regarding the wording to “review bi-annually”: Nate suggested that, that be changed to “as needed”.
  1. Discussion of procedure and form

  1. New Business
  1. JenniLynn will look into the possibility of getting an exemption and/or grant on upgrading to Energy Standards in an existing building.

  1. Shared Board Information
  1. N/A

  1. Calendaring – BOD President
  1. Upcoming events
  1. School Registration, August 8 & 9
  2. Back to School BBQ, August 18
  3. First Day of School, August 24
  4. Montessori Philosophy Night, September 27
  1. Next BOD meeting
  1. 08.15.16 at 6:30 pm

  1. Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
  1. Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending… “Financial Summit

  1. Review all Action Items – Tamia
  1. Next Montessori Moment - Chad
  2. Kathy Clark and JenniLynn need to have modules completed by September 30, 2016.
  3. JenniLynn will look into the possibility of getting an exemption and/or grant on upgrading to Energy Standards in an existing building.

  1. Items for Future Agenda(s)
  1. Fundraising Policy, second review - next BOD meeting
  2. Fundraising Policy, final approval - subsequent BOD meeting
  3. Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2017-18 school year.  Talk with Karleen Walton. – August 2015
  4. Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
  5. Approval of Community Goals and Expectations – TBD

  1. Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 7:44 pm.

Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of