

Open Source Committee (Intersect) (2024-06-21 10:05 GMT-5) - Transcript

Attendees

Adam Dean, Alex Seregin, Bogdan Coman, Christian Taylor, Christian Taylor's Presentation, Ep Ep, Micah Kendall, Nicholas Clarke, Peter Van Garderen, Philip DiSarro, Ronald Span, Sandip Pandey, Silona Bonewald, Terence McCutcheon, Terence McCutcheon's Presentation

Transcript

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.

Terence McCutcheon: All right, welcome everybody to the meeting here for the open source Of course today's date here June the 21st. Let me go ahead and get started by sharing what we have as our agenda is quite busy. One of the things that we're gonna look at, I guess transition to, since we want to do introductions at the beginning of every meeting. We're just gonna go ahead and put those in the chat transcript and then if it ever comes up for question or needs to be publicly shared I can make sure to just add that in with a regular transcript and meeting minutes, but If you are not familiar with this, I encourage you to get familiar with it, We've had this up for a while and I want to make sure it's showing the right thing here.

Terence McCutcheon: OK, Basically in ClickUp we renamed one of these tabs to agenda. And so what we'll do is we'll have a current constant running log here in Click up of the agenda. This is actually kind of similar to how Intersect does it for a Monday team meetings. a little bit different in that particular space but it looks like this will help us keep it a little bit more organized. If I ever need to add specific notes to anything here that you'd rather have included in our meeting minutes and I can do that as well.

Terence McCutcheon: That being said looks like it's still not sharing properly or is it updating for you all?

Christian Taylor: I think it's still on the same screen. And can you share the link when you get a chance just so they can see it from their end at least.

Terence McCutcheon: right

Terence McCutcheon: I think it was sharing the wrong tab. That's right. That's my issue. Here we go.

Terence McCutcheon: But yeah, let me show that link as well actually.

Christian Taylor: Yep, just to clarify this is that ClickUp space, like Jira, fill-in that Intersect adopted for the committee space.

Christian Taylor: Tex and I are gonna start operating out of this and being more diligent about keeping it up the pace.

Christian Taylor: Mostly with all the things that have been going on. I think we're now getting to a manageable life balance

Christian Taylor: So we'll be diligent on this for the committee

Terence McCutcheon: So getting right to business here first up is Policy working group updates.

Terence McCutcheon: What do you got for us Adam?

Adam Dean: Yeah, so the biggest thing with the Policy WG is apparently Discord sucks and...

Adam Dean: hasn't been giving people proper notifications because Silona just got a tag that I had given her weeks ago a few days ago. So I still have not been able to corral all of my policy working group fellows to get a doodle or something going on to schedule up the time for proper meetings, but an important thing that I'm going to be probably putting into the Discord chat for some async discussion is we need to get the ball rolling on figuring out our election process for this group.

Adam Dean: Even if intersect is not quite at a stage that's ready. So Christian and I had some early first discussion about how we could potentially go about achieving a simple vote via the intersect membership on time for everybody's Expiration of the initial commitments to be a part of a sitting member of this committee. And then we're gonna probably along with that look for some new members because we currently have three open seats with the people that have left to move on and then see if there's anybody that is willing to sit on for six months or 12 more months so that we can get into a partial committee rotation so that we never have to deal with whole cloth replacing the entire body of the committee at any given point. So that's going to be probably our next big deliverable focus from the Policy working group...

Adam Dean: picking something in terms of election policy and at least giving it a shot so we might be playing a little bit of Spaghetti and throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks but yeah, we've got to start somewhere. So we're gonna pick up a shovel and get going.

Terence McCutcheon: So I can follow up on that with you Adam here. Would love to get a meeting. I think probably with you Christian, Lloyd, and possibly Matthew Capps. Let me ask though. Do you have flexibility as far as the MCC meeting? I think it's weekly on Tuesdays. It's 10 Central. So I think that's 8am for you.

00:05:00

Adam Dean: Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: Okay, I would definitely suggest hopping into the next MCC meeting and if need be reach out to Matthew Capps (IOG), see what you can do to get on that agenda to ask them because What I know from the back end is that Lloyd had something that they used for the Community Advisory Board. Just had a look over it this morning. I found myself to be lost. There was another document that was shared from that same direction and that was brought to MCC. But I've had some questions as far as their deliverables and overall creation, related to what's going on with Intersect. So I definitely encourage you to go that way and we'll kind of try to work that two-handed if you will so we can get this to a better place. and do know that what we would create policy wise that would follow back or I would collect that and

Terence McCutcheon: basically get that to be in place for every Committee here at Intersect. So we'd lead from the front and I've built things to continue to do it that way. That's for voting anyway.

Terence McCutcheon: Up next Christian you want to talk anymore about the Security policy and basically what that's looking like here from a review perspective.

Christian Taylor: Yep, so we had the pleasure Tex and I to be with Nigel and Lawrence in Colorado this week up until Wednesday. We did clarify that we don't need the governing board to review it at this point in time. They have more urgent matters. So we've been given the go ahead to go ahead and set up the OSC oversight and just make sure that we're in touch with the TSC as we go through it. So that'll be coming up and we did just do the repo permission changes. So projects can now have private repositories to store security issues and stuff like that, which I think the Plutus working group is wanting to do so really it's gonna move, go ahead, Nick.

Nicholas Clarke: It's you that broke my access to cardano-ledger then.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I can add it back.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, so if anyone has access issues to any repos, please let me or Tex know and we'll get you sorted. if you remember at any level you had write access to everything and we need to make sure that private repos could stay private. So that's all we change the base permission level. And I'll be wrangling up the team structure. So it makes sense. But if you venmo me 20 bucks Nick, I'll get you that access.

Terence McCutcheon: I'll take a step back before we move to the next topic there If you need help getting anything set up as far as meeting wise or once you do get that Cadence definitely let me know because we do have an Open Source Committee calendar specific in the Google calendar so I can make sure that meeting is emulated there. I don't know if this is something that's going to be opened up or that you want opened up on the Discord channels, but just let me know about that as well. And I think that goes just based on the working group. I don't remember if there's a mandate on that yet, but I will double check.

Terence McCutcheon: Alright, next thing is over to Alex for Project Incubation.

Alex Seregin: How's my sound? Can you hear me? All right, so we had a couple meetings we discussed.

Terence McCutcheon: Sounds good.

Alex Seregin: So this current Incubation group merges the outputs from the previous Group, which is Project Lifecycle, which was developed by myself, Silona and Bogdan together, we have inputs from Daniel and the project evaluation which was developed by Terence, Christian and inputs from Michael and other folks. The idea is that we have been able to validate projects as to where they are in the path or life cycle, And what we can recommend to the projects like protections they can take and what criteria they have to satisfy.

Alex Seregin: So current work is on studying and choosing metric models from the case community. We've looked at Bitergia and I looked at grimoire lab and other software which provides the metrics but the difficult thing is to interpret them. And in the last meeting we were discussing how this process will take place so far. My understanding is that we want to so we cannot really fully automate this. You cannot decide how things should be from how they are. So somewhere in the middle, there have to be some people that review and make decisions and say for example, all right, this metric doesn't shine on this project, but this project doesn't really need this metric because this is the type of project.

00:10:00

Alex Seregin: Such type of project and so in my philosophical view that you will never be able to automate this. This is just how things are. So at present our last meeting Christian said that would like to review the project incubation/evaluation draft, which is now in the chat and I don't know, Do you want to have a vote on it or just if there are objections and for the people to really?

Christian Taylor: Yeah, so just briefly I'm gonna share my screen real fast text.

Christian Taylor: So all this does is build off that incubation draft that we had prior. It's gonna serve as a compliment to the framework and it only touches the first three categories for the incubation process and it's to establish a checklist category areas. So that way it allows you to determine the appropriate level for where a project should be in those categories. And then as to what Alex was talking about we are gonna add in metrics to this in deliberate that once this has been approved by the committee and then we'll come back with the metrics that we wish to adopt and we do have a slide deck on that but basically high level incubation. This one's gonna be your least stringent category. This is just making sure that there's basic things in place before the project would come to Intersect. If it goes to that process or is built within Intersect as an initiative.

Christian Taylor: Simple things that I'm trying to make sure are mandatory is having a Contributing.MD, license, identify who the core maintainers are, code of conduct, and then making sure there's a description and a readme and then some recommendations to include. But this is to get the Baseline so that you can start open source adoption and start incubating your project The Next Step, the growth area. This is where we would start looking at usage and contributor Dynamics. And the idea behind this is this is the stage-gate to differentiate between when a project in the incubation stage can now be in the growth phase and to be in the gross phase. You should have something towards these areas and a more active use case for the project.

Christian Taylor: It's a lot healthier. It actually has some Security measures, public reference implementation, it's more open and transparent, may even be aligned with the public working group and has some user adoption and recognition. I think a good use case for this one is kind of like lsm-tree. It's not fully mature, but it has a few people on it and it's growing with that project at least to my current knowledge of it. Then you do have the mature phase where you have technical optimizations, stability, and ecosystem integration. I would think cardano-node is kind of the example for this, things that align with the three general purpose categories.

Christian Taylor: Then from this, this is the Strategic pillars to actually build out acceptance criteria and through that criteria, the next step within we know of the next two phases are of the framework and the acceptance criteria there. So I'm putting that up for a vote, a community vote.

Christian Taylor: Any questions? It's very generic.

Christian Taylor: Okay, I guess we can do a round of voting, if there are no objections or does anyone want more time to review it?

00:15:00

Terence McCutcheon: Christian for my purpose, just to clarify what we're getting consent for here.

Christian Taylor: We're getting consent that we can add this as the incubation.

Christian Taylor: So you have the framework doc.

Christian Taylor: It gives you five categories of how projects are classified. This document adds criteria for the first three phases, which is incubation, growth and maturity and then once this is approved, if it is, we can then take this to define the other two categories and metrics associated with the incubation.

Christian Taylor: But this actually gives you the definition of what those phases are.

Christian Taylor: That's what the votes for.

Silona Bonewald: So in a way, we're basically voting on the vocabulary and the qualifications of that vocabulary.

Christian Taylor: Yes.

Terence McCutcheon: Okay, Anything else for Project Incubation?

Christian Taylor: I think we got a majority vote.

Terence McCutcheon: Now we will move on to the Maintainer Pilot

Adam Dean: Yeah, we've made some progress which is progress in itself because when we first started pilot, I wasn't sure how much progress we have actually been able to make. I think we're pushing ahead trying to see if we can get a new release actually out the door prior to the Hard Fork.

Adam Dean: And we're not quite there yet. But essentially we've managed to get the repo kind of restructured to where it's got a more clean management and approval structure. We've started opening up communications and collaboration and kind of repository governance discussions because this is managed in conjunction between Cardano Foundation, Intersect, and I believe it's IOI staff that sometimes still contributes.

Adam Dean: If I'm not mistaken Christian. So we've got three different entities that we're all trying to coordinate and collaborate together on so it's definitely presented some unique challenges. But I feel like we've made good progress and so we should be, I believe, wrapping that up and putting a bow on it at least for this pilot project so we can roll it out to the wider group of projects and repositories that we have in the near future. And if anybody has any questions, Christian and Bogdan can probably provide a bit more context.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I appreciate your insights on that Adam. Silona?

Silona Bonewald: Is there a write-up somewhere on some of this stuff Adam so that I can go and check it out? Have y'all done any basic docs like, what the maintainers agreement should have in it or what? The maintainers qualifications are going to be or things like that or is this or am I misunderstanding?

Adam Dean: I believe that Christian has some of that at a high level really rough around the edges first drafts put together. But yeah, less about the maintainer role itself and more about how the maintainer role operates from at least my perspective and experience with it so far.

Christian Taylor: Silona in the chat is the trial program that we did in conjunction with the TSC before we brought on Adam for it. And that was to highlight the qualification criteria to evaluate a community person

in the trial program. And we do have basic maintainer documentation that George prepared before he left. And we want to push that off to the policy working group to help coordinate for Q3 and build the contribution ladder. So that all this ties into each other. The main thing for the pilot was just testing bringing in someone outside of core devs and to see how that interaction goes all together.

Silona Bonewald: Gotcha. Thank you.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, no problem.

Terence McCutcheon: Let's pull that up to make sure that there's additional participation there. I would hate to come back and have any type of comment or concern that Adam is writing his own review on that. So we definitely want to make sure when that transfers to Policy that there's other contributors.

Christian Taylor: Yeah and that's the thing that I was gonna say to complement Adam's piece. So this week is concluding the trial program but me and Bogdan will be writing the assessment reports in conjunction with the TSC to review the whole interaction process. Adam did get two PRS pushed. And without that there is nothing done in the last six months on the repository. So it is a step forward and then we did connect it in a governance structure with the Wallets WG. It actually went through an escalation path and some other things.

Silona Bonewald: That then Adam needs a special t-shirt.

Christian Taylor: Yeah.

Silona Bonewald: Okay, those two pull requests there. He should get some kind of recognition. He needs a sticker or a t-shirt.

Christian Taylor: We'll have the results live before the end of the month, so...

Terence McCutcheon: Now correct me from wrong, but from a general perspective with the assessment completed. I believe the next step in this transition here or a pilot process would be to actually get this on to a larger core repository and that may also accompany or be accompanied with a larger focus on clearing out some of the issue backlog because we do have a number of core repositories with hundreds of issues the date back. A couple of different years. So there'll be another kind of avenue to building that maintainership if you will.

00:20:00

Christian Taylor: Yep.

Adam Dean: And we have the same with cardano addresses this repo that we started with. I believe the oldest issue is from 2020 or 2021 right now that's still out there based on a version that's 9 or 10 versions back, but it was just never closed out. So yeah, that's one of our next phases is just to do some kind of cleanup now that we finally have greased the wheels enough to have Motion in the repository now it's time to go through and do some cleanup and identify what is still an issue and what can go ahead and be safely closed out.

Silona Bonewald: So for that, I would suggest doing a code-a thon type of deal where you get a bunch of people together. You spend a weekend and we all get together. We just clean stuff up. It's so much fun. And we got so much done with Hyperledger when we did that. I know sometimes it's hard to clean up when you're by yourself because you're worried that a bunch of people are gonna go. Yeah, you get mad at you in regards to those stale ones, but if you do it as a group and everyone can sit there and see that, it was all participatory. It's Community Code cleanup, actually the way that I've done them they're kind of fun. I have fun food and things like that and we crank on it and it's a lot of fun. So I would highly suggest doing something along those lines to help with something like that because it's easier to do as a group I think than it is as a singleton.

Christian Taylor: Let me see what we can do. Yeah, that would be fun.

Terence McCutcheon: It's good. Same thing. There might be some event opportunities there. So.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, me and Tex will be limited to wearing cowboy hats and have poms cheering everyone on but,

Silona Bonewald: I won't say anything more.

Adam Dean: That's definitely redefining the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders a little bit.

Christian Taylor: and I can't promise I'll bring any tips but

Silona Bonewald: So here we go. My aunt was actually a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader and was on The Love Boat. I got my Texas cred.

Christian Taylor: Okay, we'll note that. I'll investigate getting Intersect sponsorship on it and then bring it back to the Committee. That's a good idea. Thanks Silona.

Terence McCutcheon: Any other questions from the group?

Silona Bonewald: Have them on the regular, by the way, it's good that everyone knows that once or twice a year that you're gonna have one of these. People just love it, and they look forward to it, they'll make jokes about procrastinating for it. It becomes a thing, it's a bonding thing.

Christian Taylor: Completely

Terence McCutcheon: All right, any other questions for the maintainer pilots or any of the working groups so far?

Terence McCutcheon: Okay, let's go over some OSO updates, then. We'll take a quick look at the Hard Fork and give everyone a quick few minutes of silence on that one. And then we will hear from Micah who's just recently joined us. But as far as OSO updates, at the same time that we are finishing the maintainer pilot here, we are also gonna be looking at the Open Source pilot, the 14 points. Christian you want to expand on that at all?

Christian Taylor: Yep, so obviously Adam's experience is gonna be feeding into that. But we're also going to look at past PRS and things and evaluate the projects by those use cases for all 20. I think it's the 27 core repos at this time. So me and Bogdan have a long week ahead of us, but we'll get those results out and get a letter grade, if we get a C I'll be happy.

Terence McCutcheon: Next, we've been in communication with those that are currently building or formulating TSC. They are also aware of Hydra build and Haskell.nix and it was a good conversation starter to look at bringing those over so I'm still gonna classify that under internal review for now but more to come.

Christian Taylor: I do have a brief update on that...

00:25:00

Christian Taylor: So with the Hydra build piece, there's a massive; for us to Port that over. It's a massive addition to the current contract and it's porting over eight people. So that's a conversation that TSC is not looking to differentiate that now, maybe in the future, but I'm still trying to see how far we can go at least for Intersect's coordination of it. And then I believe the nix site might also be a serious commitment.

Christian Taylor: So we just kind of need to see how far the TSC is willing to go but I'm all for intersect branded things.

Christian Taylor: So maybe we at least get a logo on a page.

Terence McCutcheon: Alright next. I'm just gonna start by putting this up for thought. I don't want to put you guys right on the horn for making a decision here.

Terence McCutcheon: But as we are going through the changes as far as working groups and special interest groups. Wanted to think about some guardrails, What's going to be an acceptable level of work for us to accept, right, with how our meetings go and how much we talked about that is, general or even slightly technical here. How much do we actually have capacity for because I would hate to pick up a working group and then not have the time to come back and share and Report what they're doing so

Terence McCutcheon: Just think about for now what types of working groups were willing to accept or foster from that open source perspective. How many would be appropriate? We wouldn't hear from special interest groups that often until they have a body of work and they say "we want to present this to move up the ladder". But I'm hoping that's pretty clear. If you guys have more questions on that you can ping me separately, but just think about that and I'll bring that back in three or four weeks here for us to kind of get an idea of what you're looking for or how many you're comfortable with. Okay?

Terence McCutcheon: The last one, is our Open Source YouTube. I want to say we blasted that in our open source committee channels here. If we didn't it is, Open Source Office at Intersect @OSOIntersect on YouTube there. If you just search open source Intersect, it should pop right up. We actually got our first release of the podcast, we're calling ourselves the Open Source Cowboys as you've probably heard. So there'll be more things to come in the podcast but we're actually also assisting on a little bit more like an interview format. That's gonna start building up the Intersect proper YouTube channel there as well. But keep it relevant to open source if there is anyone that would like to have their moment in the spotlight here. Feel free to reach out to us and we're happy to set up a session to record with you or should it align where we're in person. We do like those opportunities as well.

Christian Taylor: And if no one has liked and subscribed we will accept that as your resignation.

Terence McCutcheon: Okay, any questions for the open source office?

Terence McCutcheon: Alex?

Alex Seregin: Yeah with the question of working groups and relating to open source.

Alex Seregin: I want to just voice, raise awareness, of the certification working group, which has been doing some work since a couple years ago and recently, we've been discussing in the discussions, Silona mentioned the importance of certification and the security audits, as certification working group was doing exactly that.

Alex Seregin: The final standards for what is certification. So that we can have credit to Auditors in ecosystem and they can issue and change certificates which integrate with a double discovery Services, which I'm still not sure which kind of committee fits. But it looks like the open source committee, maybe in the future alignment with the working group.

Terence McCutcheon: Who's leading that working group?

Alex Seregin: At the moment the group's chair left. It's Simon Thompson from IOG. He's really on the Marlowe project and we are selecting a new chair in the process now. But Romain from the high Assurance team at IOG is a member of the group, probably he will chair the group I will. Or someone else. I don't know so, Borgia from MLabs. And we are selecting the chair at the moment.

Christian Taylor: What was the working group name of the certification?

Terence McCutcheon: certification.

Alex Seregin: certification yeah Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: We can take that offline. We'll set up something with Romain and get an update and then bring that up next time for discussion if it's aligned.

00:30:00

Christian Taylor: I'll ask in our open, I'll ask a question in the open forum section for you Alex.

Alex Seregin: Yeah, I informed the group of this process a while ago.

Terence McCutcheon: Silona, the potential discussion is for that to come here. I think Alex was saying that it's currently unassigned.

Terence McCutcheon: Which defines it as a special interest group for the time being so if I would say, Alex, just so you're aware that comes the end of the month and that's defined separately. That's not to downgrade what the group is trying to do. It's just a matter of us trying to get all on the same page.

Alex Seregin: I informed the group of this process a while ago and they didn't have any objections and...

Alex Seregin: Just the concern is that there's been some work done actually by members of quite a few organizations like Tweag, MLabs, IOG for example the list of vulnerabilities, which is important and...

Alex Seregin: They come like Auditors discover vulnerabilities to the person.

Alex Seregin: It's important for the security policy rights and security body. So yeah, just keeping you guys informed on existence of the group,

Christian Taylor: I do have interest in that especially with the Developer Advocate Program because one of those things is defining certification and merits for onboarding coming into cardano and education and stuff. So it is tied to an open source Initiative for Q3.

Alex Seregin: Yeah. Thanks.

Terence McCutcheon: So next I am posting a link, this is a poll. It's a Google form. It is anonymous...

Terence McCutcheon: This is regarding the Chang Hard Fork. I've had a request from I guess you called the Parameters secretary.

Terence McCutcheon: A member of our technical operations team to present this to you all, see if you have any questions or just in general, and have you provide a response as well. We've heard that there's some pretty good feedback where everyone is feeling, I guess pretty close to ready. But if you have some concerns, this is definitely your opportunity to share those accordingly. So I'll give everyone a few minutes here and let's say 1038 will pick this up.

Terence McCutcheon: Probably not. Good question. Hang on just a second.

Christian Taylor: That's funny.

Terence McCutcheon: Apologies try this one.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah Micah, tear it apart.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, just put Rick Astley on there.

Christian Taylor: Do a Rick Roll?

Terence McCutcheon: We'll give it one more minute based on the faux pas.

Adam Dean: I don't know if this is Micah making changes or not,

Adam Dean: But my only choice is yes, I feel ready for the Chang hard Fork option. There is no "no I don't feel ready option.

Terence McCutcheon: Is it not letting you move forward beyond there? It's required.

Adam Dean: I can but it's like a terms and conditions. I can only say I'm ready for the hard Fork whether I actually feel that way or not. What are we trying to survey?

Nicholas Clarke: The volume a few in school of how to run a poll successfully, make sure the people can make the correct answer.

Adam Dean: Right, you can lead a horse to water and then force them to check the box unless they don't want to move forward.

Christian Taylor: Try it now and see if that changed anything.

Christian Taylor: I just put a simple no. That's simple.

Silona Bonewald: That's just funny.

Adam Dean: Might be slightly better pulling samples now, so

Silona Bonewald: It just reminds me of the surveys I used to do and I ran political campaigns. When did you stop beating your wife?

Adam Dean: especially

Silona Bonewald: It's inside. Okay.

Adam Dean: This is why peer review matters Christian right here. This is

Silona Bonewald: Okay. vicious.

Christian Taylor: All right. Should totally put an unrelated option on there.

Silona Bonewald: Maybe how much you're gonna give me.

00:35:00

Silona Bonewald: This is being recorded. I should shut up now. It might be quoted somewhere inappropriately.

Christian Taylor: No worries. We won't definitely do a sound bite.

Silona Bonewald: Likely, I'm laughing the entire time I'm saying it.

Terence McCutcheon: Sorry, I guess silent looking at that for a second. I'll do better next time for I'm not really sure what happened there, but

Terence McCutcheon: Next, Micah joined us here, and is gonna give us an update on Oracle's working group. And this one is something that we're gonna look for, either A VOTE OF yay nay or just consent to bring this under OSC for the time being.

Micah Kendall: Okay, thanks for having me. We also have Peter who's from Orcfax. He came to the sync last week. So I think oracles make a lot of sense under the working group because what is really needed for them under the committee as a working group, What's really needed for Oracles at the moment. We came to this conclusion in the sync last week, like the eight of us, that we really need standards and best practices and reference implementations to guide the Oracle path because that's been really...

Micah Kendall: on Cardano I suppose, it's really necessary. I guess to kind of convey the need for oracles. Recently, my company lost roughly \$200,000 from an oracle issue. I mean us and Land-fi. So yeah, I think there's definitely a need from that perspective. It makes a lot of sense under open source .

Micah Kendall: It's all about, it really is about standards and implementations So yeah, that's what I'd say we need.

Peter Van Garderen: And I say I support Micah's request.

Nicholas Clarke: What are the goals of the Oracle working group? Are you actually building oracles?

Nicholas Clarke: You're trying to set standards for how they should work?

Peter Van Garderen: Micah just said the latter, That's what I heard him say, so yes, our goal is to build an open specification of protocol. Keep dialogue going between consumers of Cardano Oracle feeds and Oracle providers. That's just a dialogue to begin with, but I think the one output that Micah just paraphrased, as a group we identified as key and I saw Adam nodding as well and every dev that I talk to will nod is that we need an open spec on how to do some local data, and that might mean more than one way of doing it. There's just lots of open questions, leading an Oracle project myself over the last year, of course, we've got lots of knowledge Micah has been working on. So anyway, there's lots of knowledge to share every other initiative in the Cardano space. We shouldn't be wasting effort, right? We shouldn't be double spending anywhere, and we should be reusing and repurposing as much of our brain power as we can which means open specs, and we shouldn't be doing it as a standalone Community. We really appreciate the support we can get from exactly. Thank you.

Peter Van Garderen: And it's critical from Cardano, you want Cardano to succeed. We need our Oracles working soon, now, this summer. Otherwise it's done, we can pack it up.

Micah Kendall: We also have a problem that Intersect and this Committee can potentially solve is that we're all competing. So we need to turn this competition into collaboration so...

Micah Kendall: because we all want to collaborate on something open. That's the definition of Open Source. And we are only able to do this with a neutral vehicle, so we need somewhere to do this.

Terence McCutcheon: Adam

Adam Dean: Yeah, I mean I think on the surface the idea sounds good and I would be in favor of making this an official working group underneath the OSC.

Adam Dean: Particularly if we can get a clear cut list of what are at least, our short-term deliverables, what's the plan for this group for the next six to 12 months and then kind of reassess so that we don't like you were saying Tex, take on and just adopt everybody and then we're a crazy cat lady of different working groups that aren't actually producing any outputs. So yeah, I think a working group cleanup is going to be important downstream, to say is this still a necessary working group or can we go ahead and retire that one but for the time if we have a clear mandate to develop some standards and open collaboration software and tools then that seems right up our alley so it's a yes for me dawg.

00:40:00

Christian Taylor: Also to highlight I met Damon at consensus and he also reiterated the situation for Oracles across the board in Cardano and adoptions kind of getting hard and y'all are kind of one of the core text acts that we need to make sure stay so I'm all for it myself.

Terence McCutcheon: All right, I would also I guess I'll help the committee out here. I've been asked to help more directly support this working group as of right now, so I will be, I wouldn't say participating but joining in their meetings as far as from a general overview...

Peter Van Garderen: Hey Terence.

Terence McCutcheon: if make sure that they stay in the lines that they're looking for. So be a secondary way to report back to OSC what kind of progress we're looking at but... Silona?

Silona Bonewald: Yes, yes come to the dark side. So y'all might know that part of the thing that I do is standards. So I think it might be really interesting for us to also take this to a meta level.

Silona Bonewald: Tex and Christian in that you're going to have a lot more of this coming in. It's kind of like one of the reasons that people often gravitate to open source. So that they can at least get a working spec done. Without necessarily having to do all of the normal standards pieces, like going through w3c or ietf, like I used to work at the IEEE SA. I would love to sit down and for us to go through something and they could basically be our first guinea pigs.

Peter Van Garderen: Yes, Thank you!

Peter Van Garderen: I'm a digital archivist, I have a Master's degree of Archival science. I've spent two decades working in digital record keeping which is taking isil standards and IEEE standards and applying them to technical infrastructures. That's what I'm trying to do with this Oracle on Cardano right now, but Cardano is freaking hard...

Peter Van Garderen: But we finally figured it out. So I've created standards and I've implemented standards and I believe standards specifications are the solution for our problem here. Starting with an oracle standard would be fantastic Silona, sign me up.

Silona Bonewald: cool. Yeah, I'll ping you, I'll find your LinkedIn as well.

Peter Van Garderen: Great. Thank you. similar

Christian Taylor: Sandip?

Sandip Pandey: I just want to say that I am in full support of this working group.

Christian Taylor: Should we do one more formal vote all thumbs up in favor?

Peter Van Garderen: I don't get a vote, I'm a guest speaker. I don't even know. Sorry guys.

Adam Dean: Yeah, Micah Peter. Stop voting, you guys don't get to vote.

Adam Dean: Votes rigged, we've got vote tampering happening. So we're gonna have to redo it.

Christian Taylor: Just add it as a subsection in the Google form.

Peter Van Garderen: Where's SanchoNet when you need it?

Silona Bonewald: That's why we need the rules.

Micah Kendall: You need DID..

Silona Bonewald: exactly

Peter Van Garderen: This is just my chat, This is my AI generator version. By the way, Peter's still sleeping.

Peter Van Garderen: My agent is authorized to make decisions though. So go ahead.

Terence McCutcheon: Something we'll go through in coming weeks as well as we get into July or deeper into Q3 is a verification it'll start right now. If you are in a working group or in/on a Committee, please make sure that you have your individual founding membership established and paid for. If not, I would hate for post-verification, Somebody be removed when they're a big contributor here. So more to follow on that. and then the only other thing

Adam Dean: Just a note on that. I did already open source a way to accept payments in ADA.

Peter Van Garderen: Can you send me the link? Thank you, Adam.

Christian Taylor: Can you send me the link to it?

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, please do.

Adam Dean: Yeah, it's to get the woocommerce plugin. But yes, I know we've gotten some feedback from people that we don't have a way to pay with. native assets for our cardano Club so that's kind of weird.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah.

Christian Taylor: Correction is coming to that. I don't know the time window. But yeah. little embarrassing

Terence McCutcheon: So next up is the open source tools. I will find a way to make sure that you can access this. Just give me a few minutes on sharing the links and things like that. We also have and they move over to this here, we have an open source committee shared drive. I'm noticing that there are not that many people in here, and if I'm seeing correctly, I may not have direct admin access to be adding people. So I'm gonna change that and make sure I have access and then make sure everyone else has access accordingly.

00:45:00

Terence McCutcheon: I'll double check with a Miro board as well because I think there is one for OSC. But if not, we will create one but those would be the three main tools that we'd have right now is click up for task assignment and continuation the Google Drive open source committee for collaboration and document storage and then the Miro board for additional thoughts. Questions, comments, concerns?

Terence McCutcheon: Okay, silence is golden, I think is what we all like to roll with here. So let me just pull back the active notes Here. Bear with me because I will get the agenda fixed up in ClickUp for future weeks here.

Terence McCutcheon: Coming July 19th, that's kind of iterative right now. So something may change on the 12th, if that needs to move it all but theoretically July 19th, we're tentatively planning to have that session dedicated to reviewing the open source strategy. Adjusting and/or adding additional goals as needed. We are moving pretty heavily into achieving what was set. So I want to put that out there as just a thought or an idea and if you have any additional feedback to that, of course, let us know individually all together.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, so we can get some more ideas there and if we want to start writing a revised document for that right now I can set that up accordingly. Any questions on goal realignment?

Christian Taylor: Just to add a quick drop in there too during that. I'm also going to be doing the review of Q1/Q2 for the OSO and how we delivered on our goals. And then I get the Committee's feedback for the latter half and end of the year. And if there's anything we need to change towards that approach. I'll just relink that in there. So everyone can read that as well.

Terence McCutcheon: We are getting close to the end here. But now it is that time for an open forum. If there's something that we haven't shared with you, something that you want to talk about for yourself. Let us know what's going on.

Micah Kendall: Is there anything? So what's next for us if we've got a few yay's, should we write out a 12-month plan of what the deliverables should be or?

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I will post something in the channel for you. I will also get that channel moved down to the open source Committee's area. There'll be a new place for y'all to go and find your stuff. Nothing too crazy. The channel is going to stay just like it is for the time being, actually no, allow me to clarify that the current channel will be archived and this will be put into a thread under our OSC working group forum, so that will be a slight change to...

Terence McCutcheon: where that conversation goes, but we'll get all done. Thankfully. It's a Friday and it should be pretty easy to find but if anyone struggles let me know and then I'll get you basically the outline for what we have on the GitBook.

Terence McCutcheon: That should answer a lot of questions that some of our seats have too.

Micah Kendall: So are we officially a working group then.

Terence McCutcheon: Yes, you retain your classification as a working group.

Christian Taylor:

Christian Taylor: Yep, and So this is the open source committee GitBook. We'll start hosting your stuff down here and even can do meeting minutes or add things to that if you like. Tex is the king of that subsection, but I do recommend doing a committee charter and then some deliverable towards your goals. That way it just helps streamline your activity and then you'll have the ClickUp space that you can also work in, that Tex will share later, kind of like a jira.

Micah Kendall: Okay. Thank you.

Christian Taylor: But the other tie into that is every time you meet, try to give an update to us if you want anything for the committee to review on the agenda as well, as you all get going. Because now you're outputs will have direct feedback.

Terence McCutcheon: And I don't want to make it small for anyone to see, but basically your goal if you have stakeholders, this one has rough plans, Sorry, but this is all work in progress here. But whoever is part of the working group where you communicate, I'll send you the full format there for it.

00:50:00

Christian Taylor: Yeah, it just goes down two groups. So there's a lot of updates on that.

Silona Bonewald: Weren't we working on an onboarding checklist or something or am I thinking of a different committee? Because I seem to remember one of the Committees working on an onboarding checklist for the working groups.

Adam Dean: That is the output that I believe MCC and Matthew Capps and...

Silona Bonewald: Okay.

Adam Dean: in the meta the group to Define working groups. I believe that was the output there.

Silona Bonewald: Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I was gonna say I'm directly involved with that. That's probably where that came from the OSC perspective?

Silona Bonewald: Is there really...

Silona Bonewald: because a lot of this parallels what you did for creating that template for creating new committees in regards to...

Terence McCutcheon: yeah.

Silona Bonewald: what those groups need to have in place. So, is there any kind of merging that's happening to that? Because that's what I feel like Micah's asking for, he's basically asking for an onboarding template kind of thing. I'm in regards to. What do I do here? Where's this, go here, and that sort of thing. And so if we could maybe even though it's not done maybe share with him a rough draft so he can kind of know and also, give good feedback on it. I mean nobody's better than the Newbie and then giving good feedback on your documentation.

Terence McCutcheon: So that document that was already published. So we could go there. it should be in that Oracle's channel because I posted in every working group. And a special interest group. But yeah, I was gonna say for reference without pointing any fingers. It's a big push that I have in the back end and working on a committee document to hopefully have by the end of the month and then there'll be a whole subcommittee section to look into an internal discussion as to whether there's going to be subcommittees or just working groups. There's kind of some fights in the background there, but that working group that Adam was referring to there's been...

Terence McCutcheon: I'm not sure where MCC got all their information because they kind of went down just a completely different path and it didn't line up with anything that we had on the Intersect get book. So again, I'm working from the background here. But any questions or feedback, just please relay that directly to me and I'll get it organized. I'm actually in direct conversation with Matthew Capps. So

Silona Bonewald: Let me know if I can help on that at all Tex because I gave them a whole overview on voting methodologies as well. I don't know if you were in that meeting for that one that seemed to be very informative for them. So if there's something that I can do to help them get more in sync, I'm here for you.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I would say let me devote that structural I can still sync with you on it right? but let me devote that area of work with Adam and the policy working group to finalize what we should

have as a voting policy for everyone. And again, I'm going to try to tie in a relevant Partners from MCC so that they don't feel like we're just taking over their work so

Silona Bonewald: Did you see the voting slideshow that I did? It's like 40 something slides about all the different things that you should consider when you're creating a voting policy.

Terence McCutcheon: I have not seen that, no.

Silona Bonewald: Okay, then definitely grab some time so I can go over that with you or I can go over wherever but they asked me to create that for the MCC. And so I went in and gave that presentation as to all the different things that when and it's specifically for open source.

Adam Dean: Can we get that is it possible to share that in our policy working group Channel?

Silona Bonewald: Yeah. Sure I'm fixing up the slides right now, but I can probably get that to you sometime Monday or Tuesday next week. Adam, just remind me, because I've got so many other things going on. I don't want to drop the ball on it.

Adam Dean: Okay, will do.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I think we've already got time with you on Tuesday or Wednesday next week, so we should be good there.

Silona Bonewald: Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: Anything else before we round this out we are right at time

Terence McCutcheon: All thank you everyone, welcome newcomers here to the OSC meetings. And we'll see you next time.

Meeting ended after 00:54:33 🖐️