#16 - For Azeroth!: “Becoming the Lich King”
• Garrett • Jocelyn
Intro: Welcome to For Azeroth!
What We’re Up To
Memorial for Ralff
We discussed AIE’s loss last week, and in case you missed it, we lost one of our founders, Roger “Ralff” White. He was a wonderful and kind man. AIE gathered at the Shrine of the Fallen Warrior on Sunday to pay their respects.
ChicagoTom’s screenshot is amazing: https://twitter.com/tmpeck/status/836226081967468544/photo/1
- Spec specific legendary bad luck protection coming in 7.2!
- Datamining can sometimes pull placeholder data, and is not necessarily representative of final design (i.e. T20 set bonuses are not final)
- Raid burnout - has always been an issue, but seems more so in Legion because of the AP grind outside of raid
- They’re working on combatting the feeling of “obligation” to grind AP.
- Chain running Mythic+ isn’t fun.
Get Your Crit Together is 8/10 in Nighthold now, and we’re recruiting again! Nighthold fights are very punishing on small groups, so we’re looking for one melee DPS, one ranged DPS, and one healer.
Arthas - Becoming the Lich King
Reclaiming Kel’Thuzad’s Remains
- Shortly after the Scourge’s sacking of Lordaeron, Arthas showed up in Vandermar village and met a new dreadlord, Tichondrius the Darkener.
- Fun fact: Arthas is racist against Dreadlords and assumed Tichondrius was Mal’ganis. After threatening the dreadlord, Tichondrius actually congratulated Arthas.
- Tichondrius explained that the blade Frostmourne steals souls and that Arthas’s soul was the first claimed by it.
- With the help of the Cult of the Damned Arthas traveled to Andorhal and recovered Kel’Thuzad’s body.
- During Arthas killed the paladin Gavinrad the Dire who had given Arthas his holy warhammer during his induction into the Silver Hand (that we talked about last week)
- Kel’Thuzad’s remains were badly decomposed. Only the power of the Sunwell could revive him.
- Tichondrius sent Arthas for a magical urn to transport Kel’Thuzad’s remains. This urn not only contained the ashes of his own father King Terenas, but was also in the possession (and protection) of the Silver Hand.
- After killing the two paladins, Ballador the Bright and Sage Truthbearer, Arthas faced off against his old friend and mentor, Uther the Lightbringer.
- Uther almost defeated Arthas when he sent Frostmourne flying from its master’s hands. Frostmourne magically returned to Arthas’s hand though and the Lich King imbued the corrupted paladin with even greater power. Uther died, covered in blood, and wishing a special place in hell for Arthas.
- Arthas dumped out his father’s remains and replaced them with Kel’Thuzad’s.
Fall of Quel'Thalas
- Upon reaching Quel’Thalas, Arthas was met with heavy resistance lead by none other that the Ranger-General, Sylvanas Windrunner.
- Sylvanas’ effort were in vain as her camps were overrun and she was slain by Arthas and his Scourge.
- Thoroughly slighted by Sylvanas’s actions, Arthas punished her by corrupting her spirit and transforming her into a banshee. Enslaving her in the process and forcing her to kill her own kin.
- Arthas blazed a trail of destruction straight through Silvermoon, leaving the city in ruins. On his way to the Sunwell he faced off against the High King of Quel’Thalas Anasterian Sunstrider and killed him with minimal effort.
- With Silvermoon in ruins and their king dead Arthas used the power of the Sunwell to return Kel’Thuzad as an undead lich.
Destruction of Dalaran
- With Kel’Thuzad reanimated, the two made their way towards Alterac. Kel’Thuzad revealed the plans of the Lich King, the Scourge, and the Second Invasion.
- Upon reaching the Alterac Mountains Arthas and the Scourge destroyed the Blackrock Orc encampments and took control of a demon gate. Kel’Thuzad used this gate to speak with the demon lord Archimonde, who instructed them to move towards the great mage city of Dalaran.
- The Scourge invaded Dalaran, killed many including Archmage Antonidas, and claimed the Book of Medivh.
- Kel’Thuzad used the book to summon Archimonde into Azeroth.
- Upon his arrival Archimonde told Arthas that the Lich King was of no further use to the Legion and placed Tichondrius in command of the Scourge.
- Arthas’s worry was calmed by the Lich King who proclaimed that everything was going as he had foresaw.
- As Arthas and Kel’Thuzad disappeared Archimonde destroyed Dalaran in an instant.
Return to Lordaeron
- Archimonde left three dreadlords in charge of the fallen kingdom. When he was defeated, the three were unaware, until Arthas showed up to reclaim his throne
- Arthas threatened the dreadlords who immediately fled, then flanked by Sylvanas and Kel’Thuzad, he defeated the remaining humans in the area
- During the battle, he suffered a seizure, and heard the Lich King calling out to him. In spite of his diminishing power, Arthas fought on until all the humans were dead
- Arthas didn’t know it, but the Lich King’s power had dwindled to the point that Sylvanas was no longer under his control
- Sylvanas met with the dreadlords in secret, who told her that the Lich King’s power was waning, and the time had come for her to take her vengeance
- Arthas was ambushed by the dreadlords forces in the capital city, and was forced to fight his way out with those loyal to him
- Sylvanas met him at the city limits with her banshees, and helped him escape to the forest
- Arthas heard the voice of the Lich King again, who warned him that he had been betrayed
- Sylvanas shot him with a paralyzing arrow, and would have killed him if Kel’Thuzad had not arrived in time to interfere
- The Lich King would not leave Arthas alone, but instead kept crying out to him, telling him to return to Northrend, where forces were attacking the Frozen Throne, attempting to end the self proclaimed king’s reign
- Arthas set sail for Northrend, leaving Kel’Thuzad to watch over Lordaeron
Escape to Northrend
- Three weeks later, Arthas arrived back in Northrend, where he was unexpectedly attacked by blood elves lead by Kael'thas, looking for vengeance for their kingdom’s destruction
- Arthas was saved by a nerubian who introduced himself as Anub’arak, the former king of Azjol-Nerub
- Kael’thas warned Arthas that this had only been a scouting party and that him main force would not be so easily defeated, before teleporting away
- Arthas was worried that Kael’thas was right, and that they would never reach Icecrown before Illidan
- Anub’arak suggested they go underground, through the fallen spider kingdom. Seeing no other choice, Arthas agreed
- On their way to Azjol’Nerub, they raided the lair of Sapphiron, a blue dragon and servant of Malygos. After slaying the dragon and arming themselves with his treasures, Arthas used his power to raise him, creating a mighty Frost Wyrm
Race to the Frozen Throne
- Arthas arrived at Azjol-Nerub, but was attacked by a dwarven force, left behind when Muradin “died”
- Arthas was forced to battle both the dwarves and the nerubians. When he came up against the new dwarven leader Baelgun, Baelgun warned Arthas that shifting earth had cause something below the spider kingdom to awaken
- As Arthas delved deeper into the kingdom he came across the evil that had been released, the Faceless Ones, servants of the Old Gods
- Arthas defeated the Faceless and Forgotten ones, and made his way to the Upper Kingdom, where an earthquake collapsed the tunnel and separated him from his guide Anub’arak
- Arthas made his way alone for a while, navigating his way past many boobie traps before Anub’arak was able to dig his way back to the party. Anub’arak complemented Arthas for his cunning, and said he understood why Ner’zhul had chosen Arthas as his champion
- When they reached the surface, Arthas was attacked by Illidan’s forces. The blood elves and the naga proved formidable, but Arthas was able to activate the four obelisks, opening the door to the Frozen Throne, where Illidan was waiting to confront him
The Lich King triumphant
- Arthas warned Illidan to leave Azeroth and never come back, but he refused, leading the two into a short but intense duel
- Arthas was victorious, slicing open Illidan’s chest with Frostmourne
- Arthas was able to enter Icecrown unimpeded, and though the voices of Uther, Jaina, and Muradin called out to him to stop, he ignored them
- He came upon a suit of armour, frozen in ice upon a throne, and he heard the voice of Ner’zhul asking Arthas to release him
- Arthas swung Frostmourne, breaking the icy prison and sending the crown to his feet. Arthas picked it up and placed it on his head, becoming one with Ner’zhul, and creating the new Lich King
You can send your emails to FAZpodcast@gmail.com
Zumonaki, Moon Guard
Re: the comment about how Arthas's hammer, Light's Vengeance, would have made a cool artifact weapon. Unfortunately this wasn't possible because it had already been reforged as a base to form the legendary weapon Shadowmourne.
You go to the cave you were talking about and retrieve it in that quest. I agree there could have been some cool interactions between it and the blades made from the shards of Frostmourne.
Apologies if a million other listeners have already mentioned this!
Love the podcast, keep up the great work.
Just finished episode 13 and it got me wondering about Chromie. What's going on with our little friend? Last time I remember seeing her was pandaria archaeology quests.
We see her two more times, though only once in game
- As the member of the bronze dragonflight aiding Tyrande during the trial of Garrosh Hellscream in the book War Crimes. Chromie uses the Vision of Time hourglass to show visions of the past as evidence against Garrosh.
- In Warlords of Draenor, Chromie accompanies Khadgar along with adventurers in search of Kairoz, the bronze dragon who helped Garrosh escape. She says she will attempt to make things right, and that’s the last we see her.
Subscribe to For Azeroth! on iTunes and on Youtube.com/Amovetv.
Catch the live show Monday mornings at 12pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/amovetv. Catch the live show from virtually any device thanks to AlphaGeekMedia.com.
Joce where can you be found?
Follow Jocelyn @JocePlays
The Gamers’ Inn
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
Into the Nexus: The Heroes of the Storm Podcast!
The Angry Nerd: Amove.tv/angrynerd