Position Opening: Head of Engineering
Location: Any Faro Energy Office (see locations below)
Faro Energy identifies, develops and finances solar projects in emerging markets, focused on commercial & industrial (C&I) clients in Latin America. Faro brings together experienced local business leaders with the best of the international solar industry to accelerate the deployment of solar in new markets.
About The Role:
Faro Energy is seeking a candidate for a full-time position based in one of our existing offices: UK (London), USA (Durham, NC), Panama, Colombia, or Brazil (Sao Paulo). The position reports to the CEO.
This is a senior management role responsible for establishing and managing the quality and technical standards required to satisfy our investors and regional partners. You will be working with our local partners and subcontractors to ensure the timely and successful implementation of our projects from design to operation. You will have strategic and tactical responsibility for creating & implementing engineering and operational goals to exceed customer expectations for project development, quality, cost and delivery, maximising efficiency, optimising and driving project excellence.
Key aspects of the role include:
Engineering & Technical Analysis
- Provide technical support to the business development, estimating and onsite engineering teams
- Provide Technical Due Diligence related to project opportunities presented to Faro for investment
- Establish and manage processes related to vendor (Including EPCs) and technology selection on all Faro projects
- Provide both preliminary as well as comprehensive design of PV systems, and meticulous standards for review of third-party designs
- Analyze load and energy usage for appropriately designed photovoltaic & energy storage systems
- Generate highly accurate energy forecast estimates suitable for financial investment
- Prepare technical reports on investment opportunities tor Faro's investors
- Oversee all aspects of build design, from contract award to operation
- Lead and/or oversee the preparation of technical and contract documentation
- Assist projects with value engineering and financial control of contracts during construction
- Recommend cost-optimizing solutions without compromising quality or service
- Report on Engineering/Operations activities on a regular basis to the senior management team, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant key performance indicators
- Input and hold responsibility for engineering budgets
- Establish quality and reliability standards for our operating assets, and define the metrics to assess performance against standards required
- Ensure that environmental, health and safety, engineering and quality standards and procedures are documented and adhered to
Procurement & Relationship Management
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Establish our procurement strategy and maintain strong relationships with suppliers that benefit our global procurement process and drive our projects costs to better-than-market pricing
- Work with the rest of the leadership team to decide which projects are the highest priority against the business targets and which can be executed with the available resource
- Liaise and coordinate with clients, members of the technical team and contractors on technical and commercial issues
Team & Organizational Development
- Provide coaching, training and capacity building to Faro's technical and operations managers in each region, enabling them to meet your established levels of quality, certification, and capability. This should free up your time by providing them agency and qualification to carry out many of the customer-facing activities herein described.
- Support Sales team in developing project specification and quote activities
- Set departmental objectives and monitor ongoing progress and performance
- Develop the appropriate organizational structure, resource plans and culture to support the business objectives and partner deliverables
- Create and implement best practice engineering vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance
- Overall responsibility for Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) activities across the business - qualifying criteria for selection, training, tools for continuous improvement, etc.
- Ensure technical quality across the portfolio
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the business and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities
- Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process
- Lead initiatives to research and evaluate new technologies for potential addition to the portfolio (e.g. new storage technologies)
You are self-driven, proactive, flexible, and focused on results. You have great analytical and problem solving skills and are detail-oriented. You also possess communication skills and can build effective relationships with stakeholders. As such you know and develop the teams you are working with, and enjoy teaching what you know. You proactively identify ways to increase the team’s productivity and industry awareness. You are a strong and confident negotiator with the ability to negotiate at all levels. You show moral courage, openness and honesty in all your dealings. You are passionate about building a business that will be at the forefront of the global transition to a low carbon energy system.
- Fluency in English and Spanish a must; Portuguese a strong plus
- 5-7 years’ experience in designing and building solar PV or renewable energy systems
- Experience with systems larger than 100kW, both roof and ground-mounted applications; medium voltage experience a plus
- NABCEP or equivalent professional certification preferred
- Proven project & supplier management experience
- Keen knowledge of the applicable building & electrical codes for our regions (example IBC, NEC, IEC)
- Working knowledge of industry databases and tools used for modeling (eg TMY3, PVSYST, SolarGIS, etc)
- Experience in energy storage a plus
- Engineering Degree a plus
- Experience in team management & client relationships
- Experience living and working in Latin America
- Willingness to travel for extended periods
Position will commence as a full-time employee. Compensation is competitive for a start-up and will be commensurate with experience and abilities and may include equity incentives.