RYAN S. GRIFFIN
I love to push the limits of what is possible in the world of character rigging. Keen attention to the needs of the animators, and artistic eye, and a mind for problem solving have allowed me to become an innovator in my field.
Academy of Art University, San Francisco, CA 08/2000-12/2005
- BFA, School of Animation. Concentration in 3D Character Animation.
Senior Technical Animator
Firaxis Games, Sparks, MD 06/2016-Present
- Creating a Framework for the deployment of art, and content authoring tools.
- Working across multiple projects to create AAA titles.
- Collaborating on the development of rigging, facial rigging, animation tools, and deformation systems for use in the Unreal engine.
Senior Technical Animator 11/2011-2016
Vicarious Visions, Menands, NY
- Define the rigging pipeline through the development of Modular Procedural Rigging Tools, topology standards, and rig standards. Deployed and supported my rigging tools across multiple studios and projects.
- Production of over 400 rigged assets in the past 4 years.
- Supervised Technical Animation department.
- Switched the animation pipeline from 3DS Max to Maya.
- Re-target animation to updated rigs and worked with facial motion capture data.
- Created high end cinematic rigs for on multiple Skylanders projects.
Instructor 11/2010 - present
- Python scripting and character rigging instructor.
Senior Technical Artist 11/2008-11/2011
Turbine Entertainment, Westwood, MA
- Construction and maintenance of auto character rigging pipeline.
- Produce and maintain in game assets.
- Define and document procedures.
- Handle rigging and rigging pipeline for all prototype projects.
- Prop rigging, and weapon system creation.
- Worked with technical artists and engineers to streamline the data export pipeline.
Technical Artist 06/2007-09/2009
Secret Level ( a SEGA Studio), San Francisco, CA
- Responsible for setting up and maintaining over 70 characters.
- Produce ragdolls and other physics driven objects.
- Support animation and art teams to ensure smooth flow of in-game assets.
Lead Artist and Animator 06/2006-06/2007
E.P. Industries, El Segundo, CA
- I organized and handled the company’s artistic needs. My jobs included 3D modeler, animator, editor, designer and concept artist.
- Design & 3D modeling of concept vehicles and prototypes that are turned into real world creations.
- Built and maintain online TV show and website.
- 3D specific skills include rigging, animation, and modeling.
- Python, pySide, pyMel, and mel scripting. Ability to create robust Auto-Rigging systems, animation tools, and rigging pipelines.
- Scripting and Rigging mentor for the past 5 years has led to excellent teaching and communication skills.
- Skilled in illustration and figure drawing.
- Able to utilize Havok Behavior and Physics tools to create ragdolls and set-up character behaviors.
- Familiarity with tablet, next gen consoles, and rendered cut scenes.
- 3D Studio Max
- Havok Behavior
- Adobe Photoshop
- Maya API, PyMel, Python
- Unreal, Unity, Proprietary Engines
- Adobe After Effects & Photoshop
- Mac and PC & Linux literate
- Version control and asset management tools
Ghostly Bear Games is embarking on a journey to break new ground in many ways; starting with a small studio focused on the players, and a work environment focused on collaborating remotely. It is my opinion that Ghostly Bear is at the tip of the new development paridigm.