Happy Birthday, School?
(SJ Pt.2 No.2 2007)
I am learning to respond to a text using my prior knowledge and experience.
Complete the table below about the special features and ways these schools celebrated their schools’ birthdays.
Manurewa Central School
Date school opened
9 augest 1906
Special features of the school
It used to be a native
Playgrounds were just rough paddocks
It used to be called woodside school
How did they celebrate their birthday?
Bringing their grandparents
Singing happy birthday and eating cakes
Youngest kids get balloons and got a giant cake
Compare what the schools in the book were like in the past to how they are now.
1. Playground were just rough paddocks
2. There were native schools
3.Get few lumps of coal and sticks to keep themselves warm
4. Boys had to grub out the gorse
5. Had a different name
1 .Manurewa school was moved to a different place
2. We now wear shoes
3. We use Technology and the past we don’t
4. We got a huge amount of classrooms.
5. Other ways to go to school
This year it is Elm Park School’s 50th Jubilee. We have had a school birthday but will be having our Jubilee celebrations in Term 4. What would be an appropriate and special celebration for our school?
1. Fundraise to buy a big cake to feed everyone
2. Play games like pass the parcel
3. Bring family members