BECOME A CODE FOR AUSTRALIA FELLOW
Are you a developer, designer or community organiser? Do you love what you do, and want to use your skills for good? We are seeking fellows for our 12 month Fellowship, committed to discovering new ways that technology can help address the challenges at:
- Family and Community Services, NSW
- Neighbourhood Justice Centre, VIC
The Fellowships starts late July.
Modern technology tools and approaches can foster collaboration and build trust while helping cities better address the challenges they face. If you want to make a difference while doing what you love, this is your chance — use your skills to build technology that helps local governments work better for the communities that they serve.
Fellows and government staff work together to foster new approaches to problem solving, build apps and effectively use technology and data to address social issues. In past years, teams have worked on increasing access to social services, exploring alternatives to incarceration, and providing new avenues for public input.
Fellows come from a variety of backgrounds in technology, design, community organising and everything in between. Some come from large well-known tech companies or startup environments, while others have experience working in Government or social impact organisations. All of our Fellows have a creative, entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about making government work better. Fellows are financially supported with $55k during their 12 months as a fellow.
- You will join forces with a community of other Fellows.
- You will meet, brainstorm and research problems across your city with council staff.
- You will be the first line to support community input and ideas on the challenges you find.
- You'll be a champion for your local community workshopping problems and helping them have a strong understanding of the challenges your city wants to solve.
- You will quickly prototype technology solutions and launch them within the public sphere
Why Become a CfA Fellow?
- Civic Technology Training. You will start with a crash course in municipal government and gain practical understanding of the vital intersection of government and technology.
- Connections. The biggest names in the tech industry and the civic technology movement will provide you with unparalleled networking, mentorship, and support.
- Professional Development. You will develop lasting relationships and learn new skills in a creative and fast-paced atmosphere.
- Exercise Creativity. Working in small teams with your government partners you’ll conduct user research and decide what you build and how you build it.
- A Labor of Love. You’ll not only accomplish a lot and make the world a better place, but you’ll have a lot of fun working with other passionate people.
- Take a deep breath.
- Show us why you want to be a Code for Australia Fellow completing this form by Sunday 5th July.
THE FINE PRINT
- This is a 12-month full-time civic service position.
- We’re looking for 2 people to work with the Department of Family and Community Services and one person to work with The Neighbourhood Justice Centre. All programs will work from our HQ in Melbourne for a total of 4 months (August & Dec - Feb). Tickets to and from are included.
- You will be your own boss.
- We’ll support your time with mentorship, technology and $55K.
- Neighbourhood Justice Centre’s Fellowship will begin on 13th July
- Dept. Family & Community Services Fellowships are likely to begin 27th July or early August.
- The Dept. of Education Fellowship fell through because a last minute change within the Department. They are recruiting for this internally.