Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
11.11.15 at 5:30 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved on 11.16.15
- Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 5:34 pm.
- Roll Call:
- E/M S BOD: Julie Suckla, President (via phone); Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Chad Fish, Member; Kathy Stemmler, Member; JenniLynn Lawrence, Member
- Rob Lee, consultant
- Attendance Record Sheet (scanned in to Google Drive)
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- BOD Spokesperson
- Thanked the PTO for providing babysitting
- Thanked all those who participated in the Veteran’s Day parade
- Introduce Rob Lee
- Rob Lee
- Presentation of preliminary transition plan
- Handout: “Report to the Children’s Kiva Montessori School – Board of Directors”
- JenniLynn moved to accept Rob Lee’s proposal for the board’s assistance in making a decision. Motion seconded and approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- BOD Spokesperson
- Establish guidelines for open forum
- Stand and state your name
- Time limit of 3 minutes
- Tamia shared the board’s email (email@example.com) with the attendees. It is also available on the school’s website under the board tab.
- Angie Seeley suggested creating a “Q and A” on our website.
- Open Forum till 6:55 pm (Notes from Open Forum)
- Monica Plewe – suggested that we keep Josh till May if possible. Be cautious of relationship with the district and accepting the Downey building, etc.
- Brian Mason – concerned over our relationship with the district. How can our new ED help improve the community rather than be antagonistic toward the district? Concerned at the amount of “patting ourselves on the back” that is going on. Considering removing his child from our school.
- Caitlin Monroe – we can’t expect the district to take on our challenges, but we can certainly collaborate with them. We aren’t necessarily cutting the district down, but rather recognizing the concerns that exist. We need to try to figure out the working relationship.
- Alexia Hudson – mentioned we can’t control parent opinion.
- Brian Mason – continued to express frustration of the lack of commitment to diversity and our comparing ourselves to the district.
- Alexia Hudson – asked when and how the board would be making the decision concerning Josh. Nate mentioned that the board will not make any decisions tonight and that the announcement will be made in an open meeting. The time frame has not been set up at this time.
- Gabi Morey – would you consider an interim ED? Rob would not recommend an interim, but rather utilize your current staff.
- Gabi – will the board continue to meet with staff and parents? Nate mentioned that the email address is available and we will take into consideration everyone’s opinions. The final decision will be made in a public meeting.
- Andrea Dillon – would like to see Rob give criteria for our new ED. AJ is willing to be a liaison with the tribe. Reminder that 3 or 4 months ago we didn’t even know if we were going to have a school. Don’t forget where we were and yet look at where we are.
- Adjournment: JenniLynn moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:17 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary