Carmelised Cranberry Relish
Skill level: Easy
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- Knob of butter
- 1 large orange
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, finely sliced into matchsticks
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 500g/1lb cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- splash of Port (optional)
- Use a zester to zest the orange, or use a speed peeler to peel off the zest then finely shred it with a knife and set aside with the ginger.
- Halve and juice the orange. Tip the orange juice into a shallow saucepan and boil gently with the sugar until you get a light amber-orange caramel.
- Scatter the zest and ginger into the caramel, cook for 1 minute, then tip in the cranberries and port if using. Cook everything on a high heat for 5 minutes until the cranberries are starting to split but still have texture. Leave to cool and serve with the turkey.
This recipe will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator, or can be frozen for up to a month.