EPICS V4 Telecon 04-Oct-2016

Earlier                                                                                Later

Agenda

  1. Progress on AIs
  2. Status
  1. V4.6.0 Release announcement
  2. New AIs from F2F meeting
  1. What next? Random questions:
  1. How do we get from here to EPICS 7
  2. Role of this working group in/after that transition
  3. Group leadership
  4. Should there be a V4.7.0 release?
  5. What to do with the Java modules
  6. V4 Training without David
  1. AOB

Minutes

Chair: AJ

Present: MK, AJ, RL, DH, KK, (HJ through minutes doc)

Minutes: AJ, RL

1. Table of AIs

No

Action

Assignee

Target Date

Status

2

See who can fund dbGroup/Qsrv going on

GW

cancelled

6

Update your module to include copy of that one LICENSE.

31-Jul-2016

completed

6b

Update your headers to contain the header text.

ALL MODULE OWNERS

Christmas

assigned

10

Simplify Literature page and home page to help users find novice oriented documentation.

GW

cancelled

17

Monitor changes pull request (move Monitor API from pvData to pvAccess; AI from meeting 15-Mar-2016, http://tinyurl.com/zqa3qyp

MD

assigned

18

Add Jenkins@CloudBees script and jobs for exampleCPP documentation

RL

08-Sep-2016

completed

19

Draft release announcement and circulate to group

AJ

06-Oct-2016

assigned

2. Status

  1. V4.6.0 Release announcement

AJ: we should send out a formal announcement for 4.6.0

MK: Some downloads already, roughly equal C++ and Java.

AI to AJ: Draft release announcement and circulate to group

  1. New AIs from F2F meeting

AJ: AI’s in minutes on DH, RL, TK, MD

3. What Next?

V4 Training without David

DH: Have 6.5 weeks left at Diamond, have asked to spend 50% of that on training; have ported 2 exercises to Java, working on 3rd for pvaClient and examples. Idea is to convert course to 2 days with more detail, give this at Diamond before I leave & possibly also at ESS. Could then be given as a C++ or Java course based on the materials at least.

Need some help on the VM. Won’t have much time for EPICS (assumption), but I don’t know yet. XFEL may want to keep track on this, in which case might get some time.

KK: Where are the training materials?

DH: Exercise templates and solutions in a github repo. Slides consist of iPython worksheets in the repo; run a script on them to generate HTML from these. No top-level page on the V4 website yet, will publish that before I leave.

HJ: Could provide VM (linux?) (There is one, used already - AJ)

AI on DH: Publish the final V4 training materials on V4 website before departing for DESY.

Role of this working group in/after that transition

RL: Probably this will become the Core developers Group.

Should there be a V4.7.0 release?

RL: Not necessarily. Additional examples etc. could go into a 4.6.1 (minor release).
AI#17 from the above list would be an API change that requires a new release.

  1. Group leadership

  2. How do we get from here to EPICS 7

  3. What to do with the Java modules

4. AOB

MK: Kay, you demonstrated displaying images in CSS with BOB, are you finishing up with that?

KK: Matt Pearson will complete the server side interfacing with AreaDetector, then I will work on getting BOB to display them. No timeline at the moment though.

Future Meetings

AJ: Should we continue to meet weekly, longer period?

MK: Every 2 weeks?

KK: Until David goes maybe continue having short meetings weekly?

DH: Currently working on Malcolm and not on V4 directly, so might not have anything to report for next week.

Resolved: Next Hangout meeting will be next week.