Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
October 13, 2014 at 7:15 pm – Beech Street
BOD Approved 11.10.14
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 7:31 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Julie Bell, member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, BM; Alexia Hudson, CHD
Absent: Chris Babbs, member
Community Members: Chad Fish, Shamai Buckel, Cari Spoonemore, Preston Dillon
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Julie Bell
Next Montessori Moment: Anna
- Approval of September 8, 2014 Minutes: Nate moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of agenda: Anna moved to approve the agenda with the following change: move item VIII.b.(SAC Policy) from the Consent Agenda to IX.c.(ED). Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum:
- Preston Dillon reported on the 2014 Charter School Policy & Facility Summit. Handout
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – September 8, 2014”
- Alexia: train Tamia on how to upload minutes to the CH website.
- Susan: put together a monthly cash flow report for the board. Run it past Josh and Alexia and then present it to the board in your next board report.
- Finance Committee: draft out Financial Policies and have them ready for the next board meeting.
- All BOD: fill out the following: (1) online board self-assessment from CLC and (2) Montessori-specific assessment before Sept. 22. Still need Julie B and Chris
- Consent Agenda
- Approval of Updated Parent Handbook
- SAC policy approval – moved to IX.c.
- CKMS 01 Checking Account Resolution
- Resolution for Audit Exemption
- Approve Fundraising Approval Handout
Anna moved to approve the Consent Agenda as presented. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Action Item – Tamia will include approval dates on the following Consent Agenda items: “a” and “e”.
- Action Item – Tamia will take the signed resolution to DSB.
- Action Item – All signers (Julie S, Anna, Nate, Tamia, Josh) need to sign the signature card at DSB.
- Action Item – Josh will upload revised handbook to E/M S website.
- BOD President – Julie
- Using Googledocs
- Tamia distributed a “Files on Google” document to help clarify the flow of all Google doc folders.
- Interest in graphics identity committee to Matt by Oct. 17th, meeting on the 20th.
- Julie Suckla is interested in joining the committee.
- Action Item – Julie will contact Cari Spoonemore regarding Graphic Identity Committee.
- Budget & Financial oversight Committee – Nate
- Executive Director – Josh
- School Accountability Committee (SAC)
- Elem/Middle Board Member – Julie Bell
- Training Oct. 16th, Durango – Shamai will attend, perhaps Monica Plewe
- Approval of SAC Policy
- Julie moved that we adopt the SAC Policy as written/presented with the deletion of the board liaison piece. Motion seconded, all approved. Motion carried.
- Relevant notes regarding SAC from the CH BOD meeting:
- Shamai will update the SAC Policy to reflect the changes.
- Admin will schedule an annual forum for the school community at large with the SAC board committee representatives running the meeting.
- Approval to accept $1,300 Donation
- Julie moved to accept the $1,300 donation from The Herbal Alternative with the understanding that there will be no public promotion of the donor’s business. Motion seconded. Roll Call Vote: Anna (yes), Nate (no), Julie S. (yes), Julie B. (yes), Tamia (yes). Motion carried.
- D.A.R.E. will be running a program in our school.
- CDE Policy Waivers – Josh filled out all the paperwork and will put it on Alex Carter’s desk for signature and submission.
- ED and BM will create separate board reports for CH and E/M S.
- Josh proposed that the school calendar be updated with the following changes: March 12-13 (no school/professional development) and ending school on Friday, June 5th rather than Wednesday, June 3rd. Will need approval at the next BOD meeting.
- Business Manager – Susan
- MOU/Purchase Services
- Discussed; no opposing views. Susan will submit it to Re-1.
- BOD signed Resolution for Audit Exemption.
- Development & Fundraising Committee
- $15,000 budget line item for Fundraising needs met this year
- Fundraising schedule review
- Action Item – Anna will contact the board in the next few weeks with more information on fundraising efforts/materials.
- Mission/Vision Committee
- Review Attachment (Board Report)
- New Business
- Action Item – Chad will look into the specifics on the auction for portables; contact Preston with further information and walk-through.
- Anna suggested that we bring in a consultant to help in the lower el classroom and to be paid from year 2 CCSP grant.
- Anna suggested we look into providing lunch-time relief for staff on days when there are enough adults to manage lunch.
- Josh suggested letting our Student Council present a “thank you” to the Re-1 board for allowing our school (educational choice) to be authorized.
- Susan presented the idea of “Spirit” shirts – organized and ran by Student Council.
- Calendaring – Julie
- Upcoming events
- Parent Education Night – Thursday, October 16th at 7 to 8:30 pm, Beech St.
- Graphics Identity Committee – Monday, October 20th (Contact Matt for details)
- P/T Conference – October 30th and 31st
- Health & Wellness Committee Meeting – Wednesday, Oct 22nd at 4pm, Beech St.
- Board Governance Training – Tuesday, October 28th from 5 to 9 pm, Beech St.
- SAC Meeting – Thursday, Nov 6th at 5 pm, Beech St.
- Finance Committee Meeting – Monday, November 3rd at 5:30 pm, Beech St.
- PTO Meeting – Tuesday, Nov 4th at 3:45 pm, Beech St.
- Health and Wellness Family Night – Thursday, Nov 13th at 5:30 pm, Beech St.
- Site Committee - TBD
- Re-1 BOD Meeting (Student Council Presenting) – Tuesday, Nov. 11th at 7 pm.
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, November 10, 2014 at 7 pm at Beech St.
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s) – Julie
- Matt and Julie: coordinate schedules with Susan for a date for a basic board financial literacy training and then inform the board.
- Proposed changes to school calendar – November
- Executive Session – Topic of Discussion: Personnel matter CRS24-6-402 (4) recorded
- Anna moved to enter into Executive Session at 9:11 pm.
- Julie moved to exit out of Executive Session at 9:32 pm.
- Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:32 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary