

Weekly DAO & Governance Call - 2025/01/15 12:58 EST - Transcript

Attendees

Ben Biedermann, Christopher Lema, Daniel Anomfueme, Daniel Ospina, Daniela Zschaber, Eugene Leventhal, Eugene Leventhal's Presentation, Humberto Besso-Oberto Huerta, Jana Bertram, Lau NaMu, Laura Barajas, mexi web3, Sarah Smith, Songyi Lee, Takeshi Ohishi

Transcript

Eugene Leventhal: All right, Today is Wednesday, January 15th. This is the second governance/dow call of the day. feel like we need a better name for these at some point, but not necessarily the most priority of things to discuss and vote on. But if anyone does have a fun suggestion, feel free to let me know. but excited today in general are the first calls of the new year. specifically for the overall DAO and governance crew. So yeah, really excited with the energy that came up.

Eugene Leventhal: in case anyone has somehow missed the flurry of messages and discussions in the chat, we have our first proposal up. please go vote if you do have STR. yeah, I'm excited to see the vote. it is a vast majority far for it and thank you Daniel for respectfully taining. and thank you for getting the proposal up and shepherding this kind of first specific proposal conversation that's come up was very always from my perspective it's always the worry of not enough discussion so seeing a bunch of it is great and appreciate you fielding all the various questions that have come up and today in general both for today and I think for the next couple of weeks really what these calls are going to be about I mean today is

Eugene Leventhal: We're kind of level setting, but I'm hoping from next week we're going to start diving back into some of these proposals that emerged from the co-creation cycle. Right? So, we had the co-creation cycle that pretty much went from the launch of the Dow through the end of the year to maximize alignment and focus and where we heard from the labs crew about the vertical focus that they're taking in terms of DeFi and payments and the regional priorities that they have in terms of Brazil, Kenya, Malaysia, and South Korea. from the foundation perspective, we're very much pro kind of building on top of those focus areas instead of immediately heading off to different ones. Though we do want to stress that, right, we are not bound to those.

Eugene Leventhal: the goal of the DAO, excuse me, but part of what I very much hope we will want to explore is how do we intentionally step beyond that first vert beyond those first four countries to intentionally experiment in other domains. and so today, and this is not a clean classification system. Sorry, I just did it during the morning call upon someone's suggestion, but trying to help clarify, this is the first user research, proposal that, Daniel pushed forward and is now an active vote. we have a few that, the foundation is kind of leading with, fielding or developing at the moment.

Eugene Leventhal: and something like the data and metrics one I will be putting a call out to delegates and coordinating a separate call to maybe start forming the beginnings of a committee in that direction to make sure that before we actually get all of any funding programs in place that we already have the tools

and infrastructure to measure some of that impact. So, yeah, if folks want to talk about that, happy to share kind of where we're at with the tooling that we know, which in short is HubSpot as the CRM side of things. and then we know we want things going to O. the in between is kind of getting finalized and figured out. And we're hoping that, no later than the end of the month, we can, have, the commitments in place of what we'll be doing and get the ball rolling there.

Eugene Leventhal: but yeah really the topics and these are sort of the proposals that in some way shape or started coming up in the morning. and the proposals that we very much hope and think can go up for upcoming votes. right as a quick reminder we are going to have a monthly governance cycle. So, the first of every month, I know we didn't do it in January, obviously because of holidays and New Year, but the first of every month is going to start the three-day time lock. And so, the subsequent week will be the actual vote. So, from the 1st to the 10th of each month will be the voting cycles going forward. And so, tically we'd love to see something in February.

Eugene Leventhal: We think we might be proposing something from the foundation side from for a social ratification. we feel like that might be the likeliest thing to have for a February 1 vote without rushing it unreasonably given we're already in mid January somehow. but then especially for April May 1st, we really want to see some of these proposals start getting to the point where they can go up on the forum and getting discussed. So specifically in the morning call the two that came up that seemed to be peing the most interest for people were local nodes. So what are we doing on the ground in some of these geographies that we want to go deeper and the training for delegates as a quick comment the way I view the training for delegates there's sort of two sides to it.

00:05:00

Eugene Leventhal: one side is what kind of optional requested training is available for existing delegates. So for all of you wonderful folks and everyone else in our delegate chat. and on the other side is how do we develop a delegate onboarding program? So how can we develop some kind of one three sixmonth boot camp for people at various skill and knowledge levels and at the end of which if they completed participation are interested in getting involved in governance that they have a direct pathway and I'm sure some folks have seen how do we improve the votable supply discussion on the forum right that kind of program upon graduating and meeting certain criter

Eugene Leventhal: criteria and interest, That could be one way to delegate to new folks and bring them in. so this proposal is one that has gained some steam. And I realized to do one quick operational thing so that I do not forget. sorry, my computer's also apparently needing caffeine. this proposal has gotten some more comments already. And there is currently a let us meet for the week of January 20th, I think is what next week is. So yeah, if you do want to be part of this discussion and part of scoping out what this kind of delegate training program can look like, please jump in here.

Eugene Leventhal: Make sure to add your name here so I know that I should be pinging you for these kind of things. Feel free to add thoughts. We've already had a bunch of groups add thoughts and Kenna and Bit Blondie had a discussion a couple of weeks ago and it seems like there's more thoughts down here which I'll bump up to not conflate. and we will meet sometime next week to start digging into that. so the goal for today's call is really just to get kind of a vibe check from the folks here.

Eugene Leventhal: are there any broad questions in regards to governance that you're like hey I am fundamentally confused about what's happening or I'm missing things or just like something we're doing

or not doing is creating a painpoint definitely want to hear anything kind of overarching on foundation and DAO governance side and then more specifically hearing about in the morning we kind of spent some on the delegate training one more than happy to spend time on that. Again though, if there is interest in diving a little deeper in the local node discussion in an initial grant program in the education side, which has a quick caveat on the education side in case you missed it, we had FiS who's an independent researcher who I'm guessing a bunch of you already know.

Eugene Leventhal: just personally she is doing a couple of case studies for us just as some initial market research. So she did one on educational programs. and I know also in the morning call the question came up of a followup to the strategy discussions with Emily and Raza at the end of the year and where are those programs standing? So, this was a post that Emily put up on the forum that announced scroll open officially, which is sort of that top of the funnel virtual hackathon. okay.

Eugene Leventhal: So I think that's enough of a rambling introduction from my side and would love to hear first off let's start with any broad questions and then we will jump into thoughts on any one of these specifically or kind of how at least my view on where we're hoping to head over the next couple of weeks and month or two. and if you haven't yet, please RSVP for Delegate Day in Denver. If you're going to be there, I'll drop the link in a moment. I'm glad things generally are seeming okay. Please do let me know if any questions come up. We're always around.

00:10:00

Eugene Leventhal: but yeah, I would love to hear what people are thinking between some of these proposals. I mean, I personally think incubators should follow some of the initial thinking on grant program and local nodes. but again, this is all meant for discussion. and I guess I'll specifically say and thank you Sani for interest there. And I can open the doc and look at that for a moment. Right? The state of all of these documents at this point, the ones I'm highlighting, these are brainstorming documents, right? Let's call them what they are for now. These are not proposal documents and that is what they are intended to be. maybe even to make that clear, I will rename this as local nodes brainstorming tab.

Eugene Leventhal: Where I hope we head from here is to start developing, more localized, right, to the countries that we want to focus on. So, Brazil, I'm just going to call it for brainstorming, which can then lead to a Brazil proposal and yada for each of the four regions. yes, of course, my apologies. I forgot what I've done on which of my calls already. let me share the link to the folder,...

Eugene Leventhal:

Songyi Lee: Thank you.

Songyi Lee: So, Yep.

Eugene Leventhal: of course.

Songyi Lee: It's somewhere in my drive, but

Eugene Leventhal: No worries at all. That is part of why I'm here. and for local nodes specifically, again, there is at least from my side and wanting to kind of at least start with this point of alignment between DAO foundation and labs, I would be most interested in seeing B Kenya local nodes, Malaysia local nodes and South Korea local nodes as though those are the four priority regions.

Eugene Leventhal: again to stress that does not mean those are the only four countries we will do things in this year. Folks are welcome to propose standalone support ideas for something somewhere else in the world. But given the fact that labs is already spending resources and attention there. We feel as though we can really maximize our reach and ability to have impact by starting with the same regions and coordinating and kind of conquering and dividing. so to say, probably not the best analogy to use, but to divide the potential workload between foundation and labs. and so, these were just some ideas that kind of came up from those early, sessions we did in November. this is Gabby from Modular Crypto throw out a couple of ideas.

Eugene Leventhal: and yeah, this is just some of the previous thoughts from there was some more stuff down here that I missed. yeah, the modular crypto from Gabby. So, I would love to stop talking and hand it off to Suni and then hear from others. Malaysia.

Songyi Lee: Yeah, a very basic question you might have covered in the previous call. I couldn't join. what's the rational or the reason to choosing those four countries Brazil, Kenya, South Korea and there's one more Malaysia. And then that's the kind of like a focus and if you want to have a local node, you want to see those areas first.

Songyi Lee: I mean not you but the lab, I guess.

Eugene Leventhal: I guess I'm personally speaking more from the theory that the foundation team is putting forward,...

Eugene Leventhal: especially with myself kind of pushing on that is that labs has defined their priorities as DeFi and payments in those four countries. basically, I can post back to the conversation with Emily and Raza back in December where they kind of outlined a little more of their logic and I don't want to misspeak on their behalf. so the short version is that this is the link to that post.

Eugene Leventhal: So, wait, is that the right post? too many links open things forever. I'm sorry. But this should be the strategy. And proposal review. So, there's a little bit of explanation here. Both videos are linked. Number eight, call number 18 was with Rosa. Call number 19 was with Emily. folks are welcome to watch that on double speed if you want the full context. The short version of it is that given scroll's overall ethos on kind of prioritizing Latam, Africa and Asia, the lab side has decided to pick four specific growth priority regions and the countries mentioned as a combination of factors.

00:15:00

Eugene Leventhal: if I remember correctly, the way Raza puts it, it's the size of the opportunity times our right to win or our ability to kind of have a seriously competitive advantage in those places. So, yeah, if there's more specific color on kind of why those four and not other four from the lab side, I can ask Chris to jump in, but I feel like it might be best to pull in some lab spokes in future discussions. But I also want to touch on why am I trying to push for the DAO to try to align with some of those as opposed to just jumping wherever. and the thesis on my side is that right Labs is doing what they're doing. right they have their agenda, their growth team, their priorities. They're kind of executing on that and dedicating capital and resources.

Eugene Leventhal: So in my opinion, if we can iterate on the first ideas in a market where we are already deploying capital, energy, time, etc., we can just make it go further and we can learn more quickly on

what's working and what isn't. As opposed to if we pick a country where scroll has absolutely no presence. there we're not going to know are our ideas not working because of we have bad ideas or is it something, we just don't have enough resources there. So from that perspective, I think it makes most sense to start with at least one of those four. maybe even do a program for each of those four and as we learn what's really working, then start going into newer new places beyond those four. but again, right, that's our view, at the end of the day, these are going to be Dowo proposals.

Eugene Leventhal: So if there's a huge interest for the DAO to pick a fifth country early on, there's no blocker to not do that. It will just need to be well thought out and clearly describing why does it make sense to go to country X and not one of the four where we already have resources going? Please

Songyi Lee: Thank you so much. And just another small question. I think Chris has something to add or you can answer me later. who will be the best person to coordinate this proposal together with because we will be very interested in Malaysia, Korea and then have a similar activation so we can replicate and then we have both Ethcon from which is most active community and Bloom from Korea and supporting Pakoda as a delegate so we can come up with something. Yeah. Perfect.

Eugene Leventhal: on the previous thing and then I'll directly answer your question.

Christopher Lema: Yeah. I guess to just quickly add a little color to sort of what led to the decision of taking news. I think what Eugene mentioned the opportunity times our right to win. I think digging more into why there's a belief of a right to win. there's the positioning of the scroll team itself where labs is right we have a lot of connections in these regions. whether that's actually scroll employees on the ground or we just are very good friends connected with good founders in the region right the other one is taking and factoring in the payment side of it right if this region using crypto is already native to crypto is already having a surge of crypto adoption and they're probably used to stables that means it's a good opportunity us to plug in and take advantage of that rather than going into a region that might not

Christopher Lema: be as equipped or might not know much about crypto. That would be a much bigger lift for us to actually do work there, And if we wanted to do that, it's okay, but we have to recognize that that lift is going to be much longer and it's a much longer term play. so when you factor in all of that is sort of why we landed on these four. I think a good point that was made in the earlier morning conversation was that is relevant for labs, But for the Dow, where are we equipped to tackle these regions or maybe there's another region that the DAO is particularly suited to do that rather than what labs can do and that should be factored in here right just because labs has the resources there doesn't mean that the delegates here have those resources and I think that should be an important factor that we discuss as we think about scaling this a little bit further so yeah just wanted to quickly chime in on that and I'll let Eugene answer the next

Eugene Leventhal: And before I answer the coordination side, were there any other follow-ups there, Or did that help kind of clarify some of the initial thinking?

Songyi Lee: Yeah, I think I just wanted to I mean I'm probably in the telegram group. I can just quickly skim through it but if who is most active in this proposal at the moment to coordinate together. if no one then I'm happy to.

00:20:00

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah.

Songyi Lee: If not Yeah.

Eugene Leventhal:

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah. Sorry, I know I meant to Was there anything in response to what Chris said that you wanted to jump in? And I haven't answered to answer the question, so I'm personally taking on the role for the next couple of weeks to make sure that whatever the first ones come up get some energy. my intuition was that probably thanks to yourself and the Pagota crew designing for either both Malaysia and South Korea I'm guessing modular crypto and maybe some others that are based in Latam broadly or specifically in Brazil might want to lead for Brazil whoever has capacity and interest to lead some of these I think that's where we're going to want to start.

Eugene Leventhal: So, I tremendously appreciate you kind of flagging that y'all have interest. The way I hope these things generally progress is that there will be at least two to three delegates choosing to work on each of these proposals, what we prefer seeing less of especially for these bigger programs is one group tries to own the region kind of thing right and we get why that happens sometimes we get the benefits of that but we see especially with the kind of approach that we're taking can we work with pagota and whoever else is and var and curia labs are also a delegate and I'm assuming he's also want to be involved

Eugene Leventhal: on the Malaysia side can we get whatever energy there is from our delegates can we map who are the high context communities that we will probably want to partner with and do we possibly even want to pull some of them into the code design right it's not just delegates who have the right to design proposals here in my mind if we can work with some of the groups that you mentioned and Pagota and one or two other delegates to build out the first pitches for the first proposal for Malaysia and for South Korea Korea that would be amazing. and same goes for Brazil. I just see a lot of the names on this list have either Latam base or have worked in Latam and with communities there or between blockful and modular their teams are pretty much fully based in Brazil.

Eugene Leventhal: So that's exactly how I'm hoping these things go. And yes, it starts with delegates being proactive and saying I care enough to being willing to work on this. And then we'll figure out what's the best process? Is it best to do a sync? Do we take over some of the Wednesday calls and just clearly label it that Wednesday morning next week is all about local nodes in South Korea. Do we schedule a separate call? So, it's kind of today and I'm guessing next week is kind of starting the dialogue on how do I best help each group start driving this forward. and I will keep nudging people in the larger Telegram groups for each of these proposals of hey, what's going on with local nodes and how do we work on it? yeah, exactly.

Eugene Leventhal: And to Humberto, to the point that you're dropping there, the whole reason of wanting to bring together many organizations as opposed to just letting a single group fully lead the charge is to avoid the danger of gatekeeping. and right even if there isn't malicious intent, there's a lot of other reasons that those kind of dynamics can get played out. And in my opinion, one of the easiest way to subvert that potential is by co-design, mult have all of the people who care about it work on it together and design a thing that they can all agree on. yeah, and obviously if folks have other suggestions on how to potentially

do that, please let me know. so yeah, while we're on the topic of local nodes, would love to hear if anyone else has interest.

Eugene Leventhal: yeah, if anyone else is interested in potentially working on the Kenya proposal, if anyone has any overarching thoughts on what are the components of a local node program or at least the starting ones, right? We don't need to define all of this in the first proposal. We could do a V then a V3, and keep kind of scaling them up quarter over quarter or over six months. yes, Daniel. Sure.

Daniel Ospina: Sorry I don't know if this would be a good moment to bring a bit of feedback or discussion points around some of the things they're highlighted. Yeah on the hackathons point and boot camp is we have seen across ecosystems that hackathons give very underwhelming results on their own. we shouldn't assume that hackathons are good at building projects. we see 90 plus percent or fail very quickly and don't go anywhere. where we do see hackathons being useful is to build community or at least attract tech talent that has an entrepreneurial interest.

00:25:00

Daniel Ospina: So I think as long as we really understand the role and maximize for talent attraction and then being able to have that mailing list that is generated as a resource that actually proper venture building programs can leverage I think there can be valuable but if we pitch them as generating projects I would suggest that's not going to work like we're going to waste our money if that's what we're trying to accomplish. So I talked in the past of the collaboration of local communities in vertically online programs. So let's say venture pipelines that are more industry specific. So you can incate by gaming projects incubated by defi specialists etc.

Daniel Ospina: And then working with local communities can work really well because you kind of need those deeper specialization and more complex programs for ventures to actually come out of the other end and survive than hackathons. So all in favor for running these type of things but let's say within the right objectives and otherwise collaborating with other programs and...

Daniel Ospina: building the whole thing. I mean that this is also what we hope to develop further through the research proposal is to validate that framework and those anecdotal observations that I'm sharing right now.

Eugene Leventhal: for sure.

Eugene Leventhal: And before I hand it off to you, I'll just quickly comment that I agree. I think for any of the things that will get included in the first local node programs, we shouldn't do them just because they exist somewhere else and wouldn't it be nice to just have it here, There should be clear of I mean, this logic won't work here and I'm just speaking off top of my head, right? But point one, builds a certain base. and then point two is actually a feeder of community which then can lead to three which then actually gets handed off to our grant programs and our funding programs etc.

Eugene Leventhal: So I mean the hope quickly going back to the full list of these right between our incubator eventually that we'll have or whatever version that we do of non-financial builder support and our financial support which this should probably get renamed as funding programs our local nodes our delegate training like our education all of these things should be part of an interconnected web activities

and nothing should really be siloed. So, yeah, I see some comments let me pass it off to Ben and then I will address some of the comments that are coming up in chat so I can catch up on

Ben Biedermann: I can keep it quite short. I just wanted to respond to what Sei said about Malaysia and Korea. So, I've been working with the Malaysia digital economy company which is basically like a digital development company run by the state. they were quite open about blockchain projects coming into Malaysia and in this regard I also had a few touch points with the Sunway University blockchain club they're quite enthusiastic so yeah if there's anything I can do or any way I can basically contribute to that initiative wherever it is helpful I'm open to

Eugene Leventhal: Yes, you are listed here. So, I will add you and please right jump into this doc, add your name the goal is not for me to be my astro that is needed to be there to connect all the dots. the goal is for me to provide support for people who want to do stuff and make sure that we actually have the operational backing and coordination to maximize success of these things.

Eugene Leventhal: so yes whoever is excited about this let's get on a joint call see who else from delegates similar as I showed in the delegate training one just in case folks join late right that group already wants to meet sometime soon so I put together let us meet so we can absolutely do the same thing for this proposal for one of the specific countries but yeah so let me just also quickly respond to All right so Suni what about engaging local team Yeah, I mean 100%. So, if we are doing a thing in Malaysia and RH is not involved or at least aware of it, I will consider myself, doing not great at my job to some degree. so yes, our deval team, all the appropriate functions at labs will be aware of what we're doing. at least from my perspective, right? There's the two sides to it.

00:30:00

Eugene Leventhal: how do we maximize coordination without making it feel like the DAO is just executing functions for labs I don't think that would be exciting for anyone either nor would that be most impactful so I'm very mindful of that balance but I know in checking in with he's super excited to collaborate with us however whatever ends up turning out so when we schedule a call specifically on Malaysia focused local nodes I will absolutely invite him to that and we'll see if there's anyone else from the labs team who at least wants to sit in and be part of the brainstorming. yes, and Humberto, I'm just seeing the first part of your comment. So, I slightly reordered the document and added this kind of brainstorming from individuals section just to not lose it below some of the other stuff that was here which is takeaways from the CCC.

Eugene Leventhal: So both Omberto and Gabriella have added some robust notes which candidly I missed which is part of why I'm reorganizing this. So I'll make sure to read these. and then you just recap an overview of what you're doing. Yeah. And to your point of actively use level up and other educational programs. That's going to be another thing where it's like we got to make sure to coordinate and why would we develop our own education program from scratch as the DAO when they already have their own stuff going on. so yes very much agree with that and thank you for outlining that process again should be designed based on 100%. Right. And that is to Si's comment of each region should be designed based on understanding of culture and needs. that is the succinct way of putting this is why the foundation is not just carving out all these programs because we don't represent all of the regions. And so I very much want to be super mindful of that.

Eugene Leventhal: and again that's why I'm here to enable things happening. I am not here to tell you what it needs to look like. so yeah, I will very much be relying on our community and our contributors and other folks we pull in to provide that local context to highlight what's actually needed locally because they're either on the ground or have spent time there and working with folks on the ground. So really appreciate everyone especially Suni and Hberto dropping in those comments and yeah Suni

Songyi Lee: Yeah, I just quickly to just make sure that we design things based on each countries and needs and culture because I could already see those four countries are pretty different. you might find Brazil and Malaysia way similar in some sense especially the finance around that. so whatever I propose there is a event and a boot camp hackathon product all of this are great ideas but we might have a completely different approach.

Songyi Lee: So I think we have to be also flexible around the design and I just want to make sure that we have ability to actually chip in and then change to this proposal. Is that okay?

Eugene Leventhal: That is not just okay that would be tremendously appreciated.

Eugene Leventhal: So right in one version we could design the list of features and recognize that actually all of these features could be everywhere in the world but how we execute the features are different. I will be surprised if that's how it plays out just because certain features might not be relevant in certain context or maybe another feature and I'm just picking these at random. I'm not commenting on them specifically but we might realize that hey actually in order to do this in region X we really need to start with this for 3 months and then we can start thinking about the rest right so that's where I very much want to be mindful of that and I am not afraid to as we're ready start slow let's just start laying one or two things we don't need to do all the things at once versus in other places if we feel like we know all the actors we

Eugene Leventhal: have all the relevant stakeholders and partnerships at hand and we're ready to hit the ground running. There's no reason we cannot do that either. So, this is where we're really going to be turning to the delegates either to pull from your own context or I just saw a comment from Ben on super team. Haven't read it yet, but where do we learn from? Whether it's other groups who are doing this really Either myself or delegates or someone else at the foundation, we can build relationships with these places. to understand how they're working. and definitely very excited to start this kind of collaborative process. And I will just comment in case folks haven't seen or missed some of the announcements.

00:35:00

Eugene Leventhal: So on and we spoke at the DAO at least once if not a few times last year of why we probably will not focus on physical hubs from the get-go at the very least. that having been said labs is investing in a physical hub in Malaysia, So that will be a thing that we can potentially also coordinate with and tap into. so again I don't think we should be seating such physical things from the DAO as our priority. but yeah that is something on my mind there and I know the modular crypto team is kind of heads down with an event they're organizing in a month which if anyone is in Latammer Brazil yeah their event sounds amazing and I already have major FOMO that I cannot go because E Denver commitments.

Eugene Leventhal: but yeah, if you're around, it seems like it's going to be a pretty stellar event for folks cool time check. Right, so we have 20 minutes more than happy to keep talking about local nodes if folks want to start digging into some of the features, give more focused feedback. very happy to spend time on that. If people want to zoom out, more than happy to touch on another proposal. Right. Today's two calls

are kind of general. We're not meant to just single-handedly prioritize one. Yeah, Homberto, there to my knowledge, I have not organized a Latam specific group. there was one call with a few folks that we knew in Brazil last year, but that was before the announcement of Brazil as a priority area. I will make sure that whole group is together in one chat, which is, I think, the one where you just commented.

Eugene Leventhal: So yeah, we'll make sure to keep you in the loop there. and anyone who's the benefit of keeping your name in these sheets is that as I schedule or do stuff, I know to 100% ping you. So for any of these proposals, if you are generally interested in it, whether you want to lead the codees or, you at least want to be aware of what's going on, yeah, please make sure to drop your name in these. that way I don't accidentally miss you anywhere. and I realize just as an FYI, the Treasury Diversification Group had requested a meeting or maybe we plan one before the end of the year. I honestly don't remember at this point. and we met yesterday. for anyone who is interested in this topic, here are the notes from yesterday's call.

Eugene Leventhal: and the link to the transcript and the recording. no major takeaways just that people want to I think I wrote out next Good note takingaking so I don't have to remember stuff. yeah so this has already happened. and then I don't think folks have added inputs yet just because it just happened yesterday. But then yeah, I'm going to make a call to the wider group of delegates in case to build this list of potential service providers, right? We're not at the point of vendor selection. This is purely at the point of kind of doing some initial relationship building and due diligence so that we know who we would even feel comfortable having do these things when the time comes for it. and then kind of go from there.

Eugene Leventhal: no concrete steps yet. but yeah, there is a separate Telegram group for the to which is here. each one of these proposals should have a link to the relevant Telegram group. Cool. yeah, I feel like there's at least a couple people on the call who have not had either a chance to desire to speak yet, which if it's the latter, that is totally fine. But I just want to make sure if it's purely you haven't had the chance to yet, I'll pause for a few moments just to see if anyone else either who hasn't spoken today or even those if you have another thought, would love to hear them.

Daniel Anomfueme: Hello. I think my question has to go around we're trying to get local context which is very important cuz Suni said what happens in Malaysia is pretty much not the same with what happens in Kenya. Each country has their own cultures and perspective and let's say for now we' Hello son. let's say for Kenya now we're trying to do the whole local notes for Kenya. So for example what happens in the sense that because it's very good to have local it's very very much good and usually for this kind of proposals I like someone who lives in the country to sort of be part of the team steering it so the person could provide input based on their realities.

00:40:00

Daniel Anomfueme: So for example what happens in a situation whereby we are waiting and we pretty much don't see someone who is in the country as a delegate do we search for and on board the person and take the person through the process or how would we navigate such scenarios because I would definitely like to work on it but I feel like someone who lives in Kenya I've been to Kenya twice for it safari but I feel like someone who lives and in the country has better context with how it works and what works best for them.

Eugene Leventhal: for that is a great question. and it's one that I've been asking myself as because I think as you just pointed out to my knowledge, we do not have any delegates on the ground in Kenya. I believe if

I'm mistaken, please let me know. I know another f we have I think at least five folks based in Nigeria from our delegates across different groups. But yeah, I know Borderless I was hoping would want to help out and I'm assuming there are folks in their network who might be on the ground in Kenya. so step one is call to delegates. Is there anyone actually here who has presence there? perfect. So Bordo is if they are willing to kind of take a lead with that and they have some on the ground presence amazing. Right.

Eugene Leventhal: to the earlier context sorry speaking is getting harder by the minute to the earlier comment about the fact that we don't want a single group kind of owning a country right and not to imply that borderless would want to do that with Kenya but just for any country with any group there we would immediately ask through the borderless community and network right can we pull in a few folks on the ground who might not be involved in scroll at all but who might actually get excited to collaborate with us to scope out what the local nodes program would look like. Again, you don't have to be a delegate to be part of these kind of design processes. it's just assumed that the delegates are the most likely to want to do this. So that's one thing. And then second, right, there are folks who might have other reasons for wanting to contribute to that kind of proposal. and that's also perfectly okay.

Eugene Leventhal: so long-winded way of saying, I'm going to directly, specifically for the Kenya Local Nodes program, I'm going to check in with some of the Borderless team, and see where their head is at and if they have the capacity and ability to potentially, lead the design of that. if they don't, then it's, hey, can you connect me to someone on the ground who might be able to do that kind of thing? And we'd figure out how to best work with them if they're outside of the organization and not involved in any way, shape, or and kind of go from there. I don't want to guess too far ahead because depending on how those two steps go, a lot of potential routes expand from there.

Eugene Leventhal: I saw some more comments, but I didn't see if any of them were questions. Yes, that would be great. yeah, I mean, I guess it's already going to be getting to the point where we might need more than one Telegram group per topic. Right. So at this point we're already of is the local nodes the appropriate conversational container is that telegram group the best place for people to discuss local nodes? yes that's a good catchall but now we might need and I apologize for having so many wonderful telegram groups but we might need a Brazil oriented one, a South Korea oriented one, a Malaysia oriented one and a Kenya oriented one. That way we can start breaking it up.

Eugene Leventhal: yeah, I guess quick pulse check if people can do quick emojis. What are your thoughts on me adding multiple topics within one of these working group telegram groups like local nodes and give thumbs down if you prefer separate groups. All right. So no thumbs down there. So, we will try the topics or channels or whatever they're called and go from there and then just keep funneling everyone into this am I in the right proposal? Nope.

00:45:00

Eugene Leventhal: but yeah to these top level telegram groups and then I will mention the channels that exist within this group bar so people know what to expect. but I haven't made them yet so that's All any other else on people's minds? if I remember correctly, Fiends is going to be posting propos nope the market research sprint that she did. There will also be one post for I think grant programs kind of hubs and local on the ground activity and incubators in addition to the education one she already posted.

Eugene Leventhal: so yeah, that should all be up next week hopefully. So there will be some more context. yeah, we have 10 more minutes. Happy to field any other questions, thoughts, concerns, etc. Otherwise,

there's no shame in breaking a little early if not. But yeah, I will be here until folks have com thoughts or questions. Yep. Yep. thank you for recapping That seems to be the preferred structure here. I don't know why I'm always afraid of those things cuz one time I did it and it made the main channel of conversation disappear and then I was very upset. so hopefully I won't do that again.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, unless there are other questions, comments, thoughts, I'm just going to go ahead and turn the channels or topics whatever in that channel and quickly do that to have one less thing they are called topics to have one less thing I can forget later. but yeah, please cut me off. I would much prefer to talk to y'all than do a quick Telegram task. but yeah, no pressure if there's nothing else at the moment.

Humberto Besso-Oberto Huerta: Nothing from my side. Thank you very much.

Eugene Leventhal: Thanks, Ombberto. Yeah, I think it did it again. I think it erased the top level. Yeah, general in that local node one doesn't have any of the previous. Not that we're at an early stage, so now is the right time for that to get a race,...

Eugene Leventhal: but I don't understand Telegram is not the best.

Songyi Lee: I mean I think that that happens.

Songyi Lee: I think there are one chat that didn't happen. I don't know why but there must be some sort of setting. But that's so far it has been the case like you erase everything as a must like the mother one and then start chatting.

Eugene Leventhal: So, I'm going to keep doing this unless people cut me off. if that is it for the day, I tremendously appreciate all of you contributing to governance here at Scroll and I'm really excited for this where this year goes. I feel like there's just so many amazing opportunities at hand. yeah, I'm tremendously excited for where this year is going to take us all. So yeah, thank you all so much and I'm here till the hour if anyone has anything else come up.

Laura Barajas: Thanks, Eugene.

Eugene Leventhal: Thanks Laura.

Laura Barajas: Have a good one.

Eugene Leventhal: Cheers. Thanks as always.

Songyi Lee: Thank you. When is your next traveling plan? Where are you guys going?

Eugene Leventhal: Personally I will be at ETH Denver. I'm organizing some stuff there. and...

Eugene Leventhal: then I have no clue. ETHSF just came together and I don't know if that is a thing worth going to or not yet. I don't even remember what else is happening right after that, but yeah,...

Songyi Lee: I mean,...

Eugene Leventhal: I am not sure. What about you? Do you know which other events you're going to be going to for now?

00:50:00

Songyi Lee: we going to MMA, Kenya. It's at the end of March. Yeah.

Eugene Leventhal: When's that? that sounds like something we should be at. It's the Magma event. Is it called Magma Kenya? Yeah, I'm sure someone will.

Songyi Lee: It's a magma residency. Chris was there for the core too. and I think should be present for this one as well. I don't know who's going to come, but let's see.

Eugene Leventhal: We'll see if either Chris or I make it from where do we work? The foundation side.

Songyi Lee: Dog friends. And thank you so much for this call. timing works. It was 7:00 a.m. So great. I like this schedule. Hi Danielle as well.

Eugene Leventhal: Perfect. Thanks,...

Songyi Lee: Yeah. Chowo chow.

Daniel Ospina: Good to see you.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah.

Songyi Lee: Everybody have a you see you next week or whenever. Ciao.

Daniel Ospina: Eugene, I wanted to ask you something.

Eugene Leventhal: Yes, sure.

Daniel Ospina: You have a second.

Eugene Leventhal: Should I keep recording or should I stop?

Daniel Ospina: It doesn't matter. so,...

Daniel Ospina: we are at 1.4 out of two million of quorum. I heard from LTB that they will try to vote this week. So hopefully we can count on their vote. yeah.

Eugene Leventhal: It's Yeah,...

Eugene Leventhal: they told me yesterday they're going to vote yes.

Daniel Ospina: So we should be reaching quorum...

Daniel Ospina: but I'm a little bit afraid we are 100K or 200K short. And someone reported me on Telegram which means I cannot DM anyone.

Daniel Ospina: Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: I have time blocked out either tomorrow or...

Eugene Leventhal: Think Tomorrow is Thursday. thanks, Eric. Bye. I have time blocked out tomorrow to DM all the delegates. Yeah. Yeah.

Daniel Ospina: Yeah, most Just wanted to make sure I could count with a tiny bit of support there to make sure they know it's happening. Yeah.

Eugene Leventhal: And also we're at this weird early stage. We have low delegated supply. If somehow there's literally not a single negative vote, no one expressed major concerns or issues and we're 100k short. we'll figure out how to socially manage that. But I see that more as a design problem as opposed to there's an issue with your proposal problem. So unless there's a huge outpour of everyone else starts piling in on the no side, I'm kind of considering this is already pretty much approved and we're just waiting for the final touches. Yeah, of course.

Christopher Lema: And just to add to that, I think that that is an important thing to know we set these parameters way ahead, we didn't know what the total voting supply was. So it' and we've, talked about this early on these parameters are meant to change early as we see activity and what is the actual reality of people voting. So I agree. I'm pretty sure it's going to pass at this point. I'm confident it'll go over the quorum, too. But you never know with these things until the end. But yeah, I think it's up for discussion.

Daniel Ospina: Cool. Thank you.

Christopher Lema: If we think it's too hard to reach that quorum given the votes, we'll probably just have to make a tweak here or there. And I don't think anyone there's no one voting no, right? So I think it shouldn't be an issue.

Daniel Ospina: I appreciate they mention guy to you guys since I have you here in 30 seconds the Q&A summarization bot for Telegram chats and stuff like that. I'm asking...

Eugene Leventhal: Are you asking...

Eugene Leventhal: if you did or are you telling us about a new thing?

Daniel Ospina: if I already did, and if not, I guess I just told you.

Eugene Leventhal: I don't remember.

Daniel Ospina: But no.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah. Yeah. I don't think so.

Daniel Ospina: So, we have a thing coming out on Monday, and it can read a bunch of data sources, Telegram, Notion, Discord, chats, GitHub, etc.

Daniel Ospina: And when people ask a question, if it knows the answer, it replies and has also references to the original messages, etc. So, we're launching that next week and putting in a few places. If you guys think it can help for knowledge management, I'm happy to give you more information, a deep dive, whatever, to try it out. so that's it.

Christopher Lema: Do you have more information about it? Because I know we use a similar thing for Discord already. I don't think I've seen one for Telegram. I'm assuming it'll probably be more helpful for our Devril team. because they feel that especially around, hackathons, a lot of the questions get answered. it's the same question like, hey, where do I get test in the faucet? And if you have an bot that's automatically pulling that information, that's probably much easier. so I think that's something that they would

potentially be interested in as well. I mean there obviously for us too with the delegate questions being popping in and out, but you see it less frequently, right? And there's less people. but I think for the dev side especially we're doing a scroll open hackathon right now and a lot of the questions is hey where do I go to form the teams? Where do I get the test net faucet? when is the registration closed?

00:55:00

Christopher Lema: it's very basic question that just a waste of everyone's time to answer all of them. So I think there is something there. if you have information or...

Christopher Lema: I'll let us know

Daniel Ospina: So I just put in the the link.

Daniel Ospina: There would be a small article that talks a little bit more about the bot. That one is coming live next week. So I'll share it along. But the use case that you mentioned absolutely it can do that. it's already doing that for us internally in staging and the other use case that is not developed yet but what we are thinking next in the road map is just helping to find links and summarize links as well. So people share a link you don't know what it is it gives you a quick summary so it goes into the link reads it but also it files all the links so it can share all of that knowledge.

Daniel Ospina: So let's say if you're sharing different links from random places that are part of the knowledge base, it can file that and then search it whether is to help people find the link or find the information within the link. So we're anyway like that the arbitum folks were excited about that because he was like how often do you spend 20 minutes finding that link that someone had shared and with this you can solve it.

Christopher Lema: Yeah, it happened at the beginning of this call.

Daniel Ospina: Yeah, So it could do that automatically.

Eugene Leventhal: Thanks, Daniel.

Christopher Lema: Yeah, that'd be cool. yeah, I'll definitely check it out and keep us posted once you announce Monday. Thanks,

Daniel Ospina: Thank you. We'll do. Thanks guys.

Meeting ended after 00:57:16 🙌

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.