Debate Motions 2016-2017
Notes for users:
Rounds or infoslides typed in red means that we could not retrieve this information.
The abbreviation of “TH” stands for “This House”, a stylistic commonplace in Parliamentary debating.
“THW” stands for “This House Would” and “THBT” for “This House Believes That”.
Istanbul Meridyen Debating Academy (3-4 September 2016 in Istanbul, Turkey)
CA Team: Melda Eren (CA), Monica Forman (CA), Nika Jelendorf (CA), Rebecca Irvine (CA)
- R1: THBT governments should strictly regulate construction and renovation in order to preserve historical architecture (buildings, parks, public spaces etc).
- R2: THW ban self-learning sex robots that aim to be highly gratifying and realistic
- R3: THW permanently remove from service Imams who are stationed in places where an honour killing has occured
- R4: THW not use scientific data acquired through non-ethical experiments
- Final: Infoslide: Husartsan was the first memorial monument dedicated to the victims of the ‘Armenian Tragedy’. It was erected in 1919 near Taksim Square in Istanbul, on the premises of a former Armenian Cemetary. In 1922, during the occupation of Istanbul, the monument was dismantled and subsequently lost under unknown circumstances. Recently, President Erdogan has declared Turkey the “most meaningful place” to commemorate the ‘Armenian Tragedy’, which Ankara does not recognize as genocide.
Motion: THW rebuild the Husartsan memorial
Red Sea Open (7-10 September 2016 in Eilat, Israel)
CA Team: Dan Lahav (CA), Harish Natarajan (CA), Nika Jelendorf (CA), Noa Ovadia (ACA)
- R1: Infoslide: Mother Teresa left her comfortable European upbringing to work with the poor in India, and devoted her life to the Catholic Church. She has been canonised (formally declared a saint). Her legacy is controversial, due to the fact that her belief in the virtue of suffering resulted in an opposition to economic development.
Motion: TH, as Catholics, would oppose the canonisation of Mother Theresa.
- R2: THBT the US Government should provide significant campaign funding for congressmen and senators who score highly on bi-partisan metrics*.
*Scores derived from instances of voting with the other party, co-sponsoring bills, etc., calculated by independent bodies.
- R3: Infoslide: Tony Montana, a Cuban refugee, arrives in Miami, where he experiences racial discrimination and has few economic opportunities. Rather than continuing as a dishwasher at a diner, he joins a cartel and starts selling cocaine.
Motion: THBT the life in the cartel is a better life for Tony Montana than a life of following the law.
- R4: THBT the state’s general economic approach should be to promote policies which seek to maximise net economic gain*, even when it comes at the expense of structural unemployment.
* For example free trade agreements and the automation of labour.
- R5: Infoslide: Inseki-Jisatsu i responsibility-driven suicide. A large number of these were committed by military commanders and members of the political leadership following Japan’s defeat in World War II.
Motion: THBT Japan should depict the act of Inseki-Jisatsu as cowardly.
- R6: THBT liberal states should provide legal and financial aid to citizens who wish to permanently emigrate from them
- Semis: TH believes that it is within the interest of Tibetans to assimilate with China
- Final: Infoslide: A “Cultural Defence” is a defence to the prosecution of a criminal act, which, according to the defendant, results from their cultural background.
Motion: THW allow the “Cultural Defence” in all criminal proceedings
ISIC (1 October 2016 in Birmingham, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Nick Zervoudis (CA), Lucia Arce (DCA), Sarah Tay (DCA)
- R1: Infoslide: Slum tourism is a type of tourism that involves visiting impoverished areas - usually through a service provided by tourism agencies. Slum tourism is now becoming increasingly prominent in developing nations, including India, Brazil, Kenya and Indonesia
Motion: THBT the governments of developing nations should actively encourage slum tourism
- R2: Infoslide: Identity Cards are common state policy are Southeast Asia, and often include race and religious identification in addition to the IC holder's name, date of birth and address. In some cases, religious identification is used to enforce Sharia Law on Muslim individuals. Identification seldom allows for 'Mixed' categories.
Motion: THBT states should stop identifying citizens by their race or religion
- R3: Infoslide: The Association of South East Asian Nations (also known as ASEAN) consists of the following countries: Malaysia, Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Myanmar, and Vietnam. Its aim is to accelerate economic growth, social progress and peace and stability within the region. When ASEAN was formed in 1967, it adopted a series of principles that have collectively come to be known as “The ASEAN Way.” These principles place extreme emphasis on national sovereignty and the commitment to non-intervention into the affairs of member countries. ASEAN takes great pride in the fact that community decisions are made through extreme consensus.
Motion: THBT ASEAN should give up all efforts toward greater political and economic integration
- Final: Infoslide: The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a trade agreement that was signed on 4 February 2016 by Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, United States, and Vietnam. Other countries and regions interested in TPP membership include the Philippines, Colombia, Thailand, Laos, Indonesia, Cambodia, Bangladesh, India. In October 2015, Indonesian President Joko Widodo declared Indonesia's intention to join the TPP.
Motion: THBT it is in Indonesia’s interests to join the TPP
UCD Novice (6 October 2016 in Dublin, Ireland)
CA Team: Cian Leahy (CA), Erin Kyle (CA), Paul O'Dwyer (CA)
- R1: THBT the Feminist Movement should rebrand as Egalitarianism.
- R2: TH supports essential services workers rights to strike.
- R3: Infoslide:
Motion: THW prosecute the perpetrators of Bloody Sunday.
- Final: Infoslide:
Motion: TH supports the end of the Hannibal Directive.
UCD IV (7-8 October 2016 in Dublin, Ireland)
CA Team: Emma Lucas (CA), Kit Mercer (CA), Michael Coleman (CA), Owen Mooney (CA), Juliette Barnes (DCA)
- R1: Except where there is a clear threat to national security THBT it is illegitimate for Western states to limit immigration from the the developing world
- R2: THW impose a cap on the amount of money parents are allowed to spend on their children (excluding essential healthcare and disability needs).
- R3: THBT Hillary Clinton should put her experience overcoming sexism to the forefront of her campaign.
- R4: Infoslide (roughly): From the 2000’s onward, a trend following online movements has been developing in which elderly people are expected to behave in a way that is similar to young people.
Motion: TH regrets this trend
- R5: Infoslide (roughly): A universal basic income (UBI) is a form of social security in which all citizens or residents of a country regularly receive an unconditional sum of money, either from a government or some other public institution, in addition to any income received from elsewhere.
Motion: THBT progressive parties should advocate and campaign for the introduction of UBI.
- Semis: THBT Putin has been good for Russia.
- Final: THBT feminists should oppose capitalism.
UCL President’s Cup (8 October 2016 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Cerys Bradley (CA), Darion Hotan (CA), Joe Mayes (CA)
- R1: Infoslide: A wethouse is a homeless shelter that allows occupants to drink alcohol on its premises.
Motion: TH supports the creation of wethouses.
- R2: TH believes that major political decisions should be made by parliament rather than a public referendum.
- R3: TH believes that states should make developmental aid contingent on the human rights record of the recipient country.
- R4: TH would impose fines on public acts of climate change denial.
- Semis: Infoslide: Wikileaks is a media organisation and library which finds and releases classified and leaked documents pertaining to war, spying and corruption. Since its creation in 2006, it has released tens of millions of documents about and from governments across the world. Wikileaks recently stopped redacting the names of civilians from its documents because it takes a prohibitively long time to do so.
Motion: TH supports Wikileaks continuing to publish the documents it acquires, even if they reveal private information about civilians.
- Final: TH would allow soldiers to opt-out from military missions on the basis of conscience.
- Non-schools final: Infoslide: Grammar schools are state schools which are selective based on academic ability.
Motion: TH supports the creation of grammar schools.
Imperial Open (15 October 2016 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Eliot Pallot (CA), Imogen Maclaren (CA), Stefan Siridzanski (CA)
- R1: THW allow communities to pay for increased police presence in their area
- R2: Infoslide: A negative income tax is a system where people earning below a certain amount receive supplemental pay from the government instead of paying taxes to the government. It can be banded so the less you earn the more the government pays you. For the purposes of this debate it would replace most income related benefits (e.g. food stamps, housing subsidies, job seekers allowance, income support)
Motion: THW implement a negative income tax
- R3: Infoslide: SpaceX is an American aerospace manufacturer founded by Tesla Motors CEO and entrepreneur Elon Musk with the goal of creating the technologies to reduce space transportation costs and enable the colonisation of Mars. Musk believes that by 2035 at the latest, there will be thousands of rockets flying a million people to Mars, in order to enable a self-sustaining human colony.
Motion: THW nationalise SpaceX’s mission to colonise Mars
- R4: Infoslide: Saudi Aramco is the national oil company in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It is the largest oil producer in the world, and has the largest proven oil reserves. It is entirely owned by the Saudi state. Saudi Arabia has decided to offer up between 5-10% of the company for public trade in 2017 with indications that it may gradually offer up additional parts of the company for sale. The estimated value of Saudi Aramco is between $1.25 trillion up to $10 trillion.
Motion: TH supports the privatisation of Saudi Aramco
- Semis: THBT secular states should force the Catholic church to accept the ordination of female bishops
- Final: THBT the EU should end its commitment to the free movement of people as a core principle of the single market
Edinburgh Cup (15-16 October 2016 in Edinburgh, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Hannah Beresford (CA), Srishti Krishnamoorthy (CA), Connor Forbes Galbraith (DCA), Dan Roberts (DCA)
- R1: THW introduce academic streaming
- R2: TH supports voluntourism
- R3: TH, as the state, would aggressively fund GMO research
- R4: THBT Japan should acquire nuclear weapons
- R5: TH regrets the culture of casual sex
- Semis: TH, as an astronaut, would take part in Mars One (one way trip to Mars).
- Final: THBT the USA should never use the language of American exceptionalism
Imperial Novices (16 October 2016 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Muhammad Asadullah Khan (CA), Ronan Patrick (CA), Sophia Rodriguez (CA)
- R1: Infoslide: Tiger Parenting is a term which refers to strict or demanding parents who push their children to be successful academically by attaining high levels of scholastic and academic achievement, sometimes to the detriment of the child's social, psychological and emotional well-being.
Motion: TH supports Tiger Parenting
- R2: Infoslide: The On-Demand Economy is defined as the economic activity created by technology companies that fulfill consumer demand via the immediate provisioning of goods and services. Examples of such technology companies include Uber, Deliveroo and AirBnB.
Motion: TH regrets the rise of the On-Demand Economy
- R3: Infoslide: Education policy includes, but is not limited to, changes in curriculum, changes in class sizes, the structure of the schooling system.
Motion: THW allow teacher unions to veto education policy that is not linked to pay and benefits
- R4: THBT the United States should militarily intervene (put boots on the ground) in Syria and Iraq
- Semis: THW not allow tech companies/social media to target advertising in order to change people's political ideology
- Final: Infoslide: Over 50 women and children have been captured by the Nigerian military after raids on Boko Haram campsites. These are the wives and children of former or current Boko Haram soldiers. They are kept in a fortified compound by the government, without access to the rest of society. They are provided with an above average standard of living, and given counselling services as well as moderate Islamic teaching.
Motion: THW let the captured wives and children of former or current Boko Haram soldiers choose to live in open society
Roosevelt Open (21-22 October 2016 in Middleburg, Netherlands)
CA Team: Emma Lucas (CA), Olivia Sundberg Diez (CA), Sella Nevo (CA)
- R1: As adopting parents, THW tell its child it is adopted only after its teenage years
- R2: TH would ban all non-medical research into the genetics of race (For example, the effect of race on intelligence, morality, etc.)
- R3: Infoslide: Entrapment is a practice whereby a police officer tempts a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit. For example, police officers posing as drug dealers and offering drugs.
Motion: THW allow the police to use entrapment
- R4: TH regrets the rise of the hookup culture (* The hookup culture is one which accepts and encourages casual sexual encounters focused on physical pleasure, without necessarily including emotional bonding)
- R5: Infoslide: In many developing countries including India, Argentina and South Africa, it is common for political parties to hand out food en masse in the streets, especially towards elections, as a strategy to get more votes.
Motion: THBT developing nations should ban political parties from handing out food and basic necessities
- Semi: Infoslide: FARC is a guerilla group engaged in armed conflict with the Columbian state since 1964. After decades of fighting, the Columbian government reached a peace deal with FARC, which includes a complete disarmament of FARC in return for seats in parliament, full amnesty and re-integration programs for anyone who didn't commit crimes against humanity, and community service for those who did. The Columbian government put the deal up for a referendum vote, in which the Columbian people rejected the deal by a 50.2% majority with low turnout.
Motion: TH regrets the Colombian government's decision to hold a referendum on the FARC peace deal
- Final: THW prefer a world where people cannot lie
Helsinki Mini (22 October 2016 in Helsinki, Finland)
CA Team: Craig McDonald (CA), Milla Huuskonen (CA), Anton Moisseev (DCA)
- R1: TH regrets the rise of TV talent shows
- R2: Infoslide: A zero-hour contract is a type of contract where the employer is not obliged to provide any minimum working hours, while the worker is not obliged to accept any work offered. As no hours are guaranteed, worker's rights suchas sick pay or parental leave may be affected. These contracts are often used in retail and service industries.
Motion: THW ban zero-hour contracts
- R3: THW prohibit people with criminal records from running for political office
- R4: Infoslide: Pop feminism refers to a popularised form of feminism in contrast to academic feminism or feminist political activism. Pop feminism celebrates female empowerment and feminist identity through media including but not limited to pop music, advertising, fashion and social media campaigns. Examples of pop feminism include various songs and performances by Beyonce or Vogue India's "My Choice" campaign.
Motion: TH regrets the rise of pop feminism
- Final: THBT it would be in Russia's interest to abandon the goal of becoming a global superpower rivaling the US
SOAS IV (22-23 October 2016 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Daniel Bramble (CA), Gavin O’Leary (CA), Jamie Jackson (CA), Monica Forman (CA)
- R1: THW ban private healthcare
- R2: THW require children, to the extent they are able, to financially support their parents in old age
- R3: TH regrets the remilitarisation of Japan
- R4: THW ban foreign states from funding religious organisations
- R5: THBT companies have a moral obligation to significantly invest in helping the communities in which they operate, even when it has no benefit to that organisation
Belgrade Open (28-30 October 2016 in Belgrade, Serbia)
CA Team: Dan Lahav (CA), Djordje Jovicevic (CA), Karin Merckens (CA)
- R1: THW prosecute violent fouls in sports as criminal assault
- R2: THBT ICC should forcefeed detainees going on hunger strike
- R3: TH, as China, would allow women, and only women, to marry multuiple male partners
- R4: THBT Israel should Privatize the West Bank Checkpoints
- R5: TH regrets the overhelming narrative of good triumphing over evil in childrens
- Semis: THW rather be a part of “Club 27” thank live an average anonymous
- Final: In retrospect, THW have preferred Truth and Reconciliation Commissions over the ICTY to deal with the aftermath of the Yugoslav Wars
Queen’s University Belfast IV (28-30 October 2016 in Belfast, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Alex Harris (CA), Méabh McMahon (CA), Olly Donelly (CA)
- R1: THW ban essential service workers from striking
- R2: TH supports the creation of personal artificially intelligent robotic romantic partners
- R3: THBT violent protest is legitimate
- R4: Infoslide: Propaganda balloons are small, unmanned, hot air balloons filled with western and south korean media and propaganda. They are sent across the North Korean Border by individual South Korean citizens, often evoking a negative response from the north Korean government.
Motion: THBT the South Korean Government should ban propaganda balloons
- R5: THBT televised debates between the leaders of major parties before general elections do more harm than good
- Semis: Infoslide: Most people in NI identify as 'Irish' or 'British' There are very few accepted 'Northern Irish' cultural signals (Flags, Sports teams, A national Anthem)
Motion: THBT the Northern Irish government should aggressively promote a distinct 'Northern Irish' Identity
- Novice Final: Infoslide: (Context slide about the movement to destroy Hitler house and Rhodes must fall.)
Motion: THS the destruction of historical artifacts seen to glorify atrocities
- Open Final: Infoslide: Men are body-shamed if they are not tall or strong looking enough. They are more likely to drop out of education, to get arrested, and to commit suicide than women. Activism for men's issues is limited, and often perceived oppositional to feminism.
Motion: TH supports the advocacy of men's issues explicitly independent of feminism
NAMDA Novice (29 October 2016 in Manchester, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Bethany Garry (CA), Kit Mercer (CA), Muhammad Asadullah Khan (CA)
- R1: THBT young, educated people in Western countries should focus their charitable efforts (e.g., volunteering, donations, etc.) towards benefiting the disadvantaged in their own country, as opposed to in the developing world
- R2: THW teach vocational skills rather than liberal art subjects in underdeveloped areas
- R3: THW prefer a world without romantic love
- R4: THW replace income tax with a tax on the social privileges of individuals (eg gender, race, parental income, IQ, physical appearance)
- Semis: THW only fight defensive wars
- Final: THR the automation of labour
Trivium Tournament (29 October 2016 in Nijmegen, Netherlands)
CA Team: Lisa Schallenberg (CA), Adrienne Huisman (DCA), Davy Fung (DCA), Jeroen Heun (DCA), Pieter van der Veere (DCA)
- R2: TH believes that feminist female students should boycott students’ corps
- R3: TH would prosecute the editor-in-chief when the magazine they are in charge of publishes falsehoods
- R4: TH would disqualify the entire amateur football club for one competition season when there are acts of violence on or around the playing field
- R5: TH would legalise a market for organs
- Final: TH would prefer a monocultural society over a multicultural society
KCL IV (29-30 October 2016 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Gigi Gil (CA), Josh Bailey (CA), Raffy Marshall (CA), Sam Van Elk (ACA)
- R1: Infoslide: Seeking Arrangements is a website which provides a forum for attractive women to be connected with richer men that are willing to spend their money on them. These people are referred to as sugar babies and sugar daddies respectively. It is common for sugar babies to have multiple sugar daddies.
Motion: TH opposes 'Seeking Arrangement'
- R2: Infoslide: In many developing states where the murder rate is exceptionally high - for example the Phillipines and Burundi - there exists a common practice whereby the communities effected hire local mercenaries to carry out extra-judicial law enforcement, including the killing of suspects. Police forces usually are not present in these areas or turn a blind eye to the mercenaries' actions.
Motion: THS the extra-judicial killing of suspects in states where law enforcement is systematically failing
- R3: Infoslide: UN protectorates are international administrations established to govern countries or regions in crisis. Examples include the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK) and United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET). / A failing state is a political body that has disintegrated to a point where basic conditions and responsibilities of a sovereign government no longer function properly. Examples include, South Sudan, Somalia and Haiti.
Motion: THW create UN protectorates in failing states
- R4: Infoslide: Insider Trading Laws Prohibit investors from using information gained from confidential sources which is not publicly available to other investors. For knowledge to be publicly available the opportunity needs to exist for other investors to access it. (For example getting confidential information from a CEO in return for buying her lunch would currently be illegal whilst it would be ok to pay for access to a publicly available stock report).
Motion: THW remove all restrictions on insider training
- R5: Infoslide: A Social Credit System collates a wide variety of indicators to produce a rating that reflects your usefulness to society. Indicators include, but are not limited to; propensity to give, law-abidingness, socially-beneficial vocation and civic and political engagement (e.g. voting). The indicators are controlled for socio-economic status. For instance, a nurse who voted would likely be deemed more useful than a corporate lawyer who goes on three holidays a year and gives nothing to charity. A higher Social Credit score gets a citizen expanded access to public services such as welfare, hospitals, schools etc. A Social Credit System still guarantees citizens a social safety net.
Motion: THW introduce a Social Credit System
- Semis: Infoslide: A bail-in is rescuing a financial institution on the brink of failure by making its creditors and depositors take a loss on their holdings before they can recieve any government assistance. A bail-in is the opposite of a bail-out, which involves the rescue of a financial institution by external parties, typically governments using taxpayers money. For example, bondholders in Cypriot banks and depositors with more than 100,000 euros in their accounts were forced to write-off a portion of their holdings.
Motion: THS the use of bail ins of failing major financial institutions
- Novice Final: Infoslide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nzeJrXFttg
Motion: THR the demonisation of the rich
- Open Final: Infoslide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLyPpUsNkAE&feature=youtu.be&t=1m9s / Asian Values is a political movement which prioritised collective economic and social improvement over concepts of individual human rights and liberal democracy. These values include a preference for social harmony, concern with socio-economic prosperity and the collective well-being of the community, loyalty and respect towards figures of authority, and preference for collectivism and communitarianism.
Motion: TH prefers Asian Values to Western liberalism
UCU Open (4-5 November 2016 in Utrecht, Netherlands)
CA Team: Clíodhna Ní Chéileachair (CA), Ilija Ivanišević (CA), Nishith Hegde (CA), Rebecca Irvine (CA), Ybo Buruma (CA)
- R1: THW ban political candidates who repeatedly make false claims during election campaigns from running for office
- R2: THW fully subsidise all forms of plastic surgery
- R3: Infoslide: Indigenous peoples are ethnic groups who are descended from and identify with the original inhabitants of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently. For example: Native Americans, Indigenous Australians, Canadian first-nations people.
Motion: THW grant full self-government to indigenous peoples who live in geographically separate areas
- R4: Infoslide: The International Criminal Court (ICC) is an international court that prosecutes individuals for the international crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes. Currently the ICC is dependent on its member countries to catch and bring forward any individuals the ICC indicts.
Motion: THBT the International Criminal Court should hire bounty hunters to catch people who refuse to surrender after an indictment
- R5: THBT women should boycott major international sporting events in countries with poor womens' rights records
- Novice Final:
- Open Final:
Welsh Novice (5 November 2016 in Aberystwyth, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Ed Mason (CA), Tara Murphy (CA)
- R1: THW force fathers to take paternity leave
- R2: Infoslide: An Economic crime is an illegal act committed with the principle motive of economic gain. E.g. stealing a loaf of bread
Motion: THW not punish economic crimes, when committed by individuals living in poverty
- R3: Infoslide: An overseas constituency is an electoral district located outside of nation states borders which is recognised by the state’s government as a district for the representation of its expatriate residents who live within the territory of another nation state. For example, France has eleven constituencies covering the rest of the world. In 2012 french citizens, living in Canada and the United States voted for Frédéric Lefebvre to represent them in the French National Assembly. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Constituencies_for_French_residents_overseas.svg/500px-Constituencies_for_French_residents_overseas.svg.png
Motion: THW create overseas constituents for the UK Parliament
- R4: Infoslide: Development aid is financial aid given by governments and other agencies to support the economic, environmental, social, and political development of developing countries. It is distinguished from humanitarian aid by focusing on alleviating poverty in the long term, rather than a short term response.
Motion: THW only provide development aid to countries who are investing in and using sustainable forms of energy
- Final: THS a future in which all manual and unskilled labour is completed by robots
Westminster Open (5 November 2016 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Annabelle van Beusekom (CA), Bailey Reid (CA), Darion Hotan (CA)
- R1: Infoslide: A megachurch is a church with, on average, over 2000 people in weekly attendance. They are often very wealthy, with large financial contributions made by their members.
Motion: TH regrets the rise of megachurches
- R2: THW ban international adoption
- R3: THBT environmental legislation should be entirely determined by a panel of technocrats
- R4: Infoslide: A city state is a self-governing city with sovereign control over its boundaries (e.g. Singapore, the Vatican city, Monaco, Bahrain, Carthage (RIP)).
Motion: TH prefers city states to larger nation states
- Final: Infoslide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsL96q4UD-A
Motion: THBT the state should incentivize high-performing citizens to have children together
Durham IV (5-6 November 2016 in Durham, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Floris Holstege (CA), Sophie Large (CA) Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman (CA)
- R1: THBT citizens in countries with high political corruption should evade tax as a form of protest
- R2: THBT the US should legalise foreign political donations
- R3: THW prefer a world where children are raised communally, as opposed to in families
- R4: THW not contact uncontacted peoples
- R5: THBT the UN should set up a global refugee state
- Semis: THW stop the global oil trade by 2030
- Final: THW prefer a world where everyone wore uniform, grey jumpsuits
Oxford IV (11-12 November 2016 in Oxford, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Crash Wigley (CA), Dan Lahav (CA), Dessislava Kirova (CA), Fanele Mashwama (CA), Tommy Peto (ACA)
- R1: When police are put on trial for alleged instances of a violent wrongdoing, THW decrease the burden of proof to the balance of probabilities
- R2: Infoslide:
- Motion: THW allow negative voting
- R3: THBT armies should indoctrinate soldiers to take their own lives in the event that they fall captive to the enemy
- R4: THBT the state should promote the norm of the 'single life'
- R5: THBT NATO should expel members that do not meet the organisation's defence spending targets
- Open Quarters: In 2008, instead of bailing out systemically important financial institutions, THW have bailed out homeowners directly
- ESL Semis: THBT it is always morally wrong to buy sex
- Novice Final: THBT the state should facilitate the creation of a new identity (complete with relocation and new government documents) for any citizen that requests it
- Open Semis: TH opposes the attempts to form a new Fatah-Hama\s unity government
- ESL Final: THW prosecute leaders that have lied to their nation over the justification for going to war
- Open Final: THBT the left should not celebrate the ideal of individuals climbing up the class ladder
Yorkshire Novice (12 November 2016 in York, United Kingdom)
CA Team: David Bender (CA), Morag Deans (CA)
- R1: THW ban private education
- R2: Infoslide: Most legal jurisdictions use juries to determine guilt, and have a judge to determine a sentence. / Some jurisdictions use judges to determine both guilt and the sentence. In jurisdictions that use juries, they consist of twelve randomly selected citizens. / Citizens must fit certain characteristics, such as age, not holding certain politically important jobs, or not having some mental health conditions. / All jurisdictions disallow people with direct involvement in the case from serving on a jury, whilst a small number (not including the UK) expand that principle to indirect involvement, such as being affected by issues in the case. / Juries must find defendants guilty beyond a reasonable doubt to convict.
Motion: THW abolish juries
- R3: THW ban the production, distribution, and consumption of pornography
- R4: THW make development aid to non-democratic countries conditional on verifiable* steps towards democracy
* Assuming it is possible to verify whether or not a country is making steps towards democracy.
- Semis: Infoslide: (Printed and distributed to teams) A small number of people (~2000 in the UK) have the capacity to manipulate energy using small wooden sticks. Such people are known as ‘witches’ and ‘wizards’. Those without this skill are known as ‘muggles’. The existence of the magical world is kept secret from muggles, as witches and wizards fear persecution by muggles. / The wizarding world in the UK is highly stratified by ancestry. Those with many generations of witches and wizards in their family are called ‘pureblood’. Those who are born of mixed magical/muggle ancestry, or with some muggles in recent generations are called ‘half-bloods’. Those with two muggle parents are called muggleborns. / Muggleborns are heavily discriminated against, politically and socially. Three common slurs against muggle-borns is that they are ‘mudbloods’, are less magically powerful, and have stolen their magical powers from 'true' wizards. / Between 1995 and 1997 a group of pureblood extremists took over the UK wizarding government, which caused a large amount of damage including the destruction of all time-turners. The pureblood extremists were known as Death Eaters, and were lead by Tom Riddle (aka, Lord Voldemort). The Death Eaters were defeated by the Order of the Phoenix, lead by the late Albus Dumbledore, and Harry Potter. Lord Voldemort was killed in the battle, and all other Death Eaters were killed or captured. / The Wizengamot is the highest body of the UK wizarding world. It constitutes both the UK wizarding world’s parliament and highest court. The Wizengamot appoints the Ministry of Magic, which governs the wizarding world. The Wizengamot is elected by witches and wizards on a regular basis.
Motion: THW enforce a quota of muggleborns for elections to the Wizengamot
- Final: Infoslide: Federal Political Career: Barack Obama: US Senator for Illinois from January 3rd 2005 to November 16th 2008. Donald Trump: ... / Nuclear Wars Started Based on Twitter Mentions: Barack Obama: None. Donald Trump: None... yet.
Motion: THW require those seeking election to the Office of President of the United States of America to have served a minimum of five years as national elected position or statewide executive office
Birmingham ESL Novice (13 November in Birmingham, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Katrin Fallman (CA), Milla Huuskonen (CA)
- R1: Infoslide: A universal basic income is a sum of money that every citizen receives.
- Motion: THW, for all citizens, replace current benefit systems with an unconditional universal basic income
- R2: Infoslide: For the purposes of this debate there exists a "truth pill" that prevents people from holding back their genuine opinion or actively lying about issues when speaking. This excludes matters of national security.
Motion: THW require politicians to use the truth pill prior to speaking in public
- R3: THBT when multinational companies do business in Western states, these states should enforce their environmental standards at all stages of production
- R4: TH regrets the institution of marriage
- Final: Infoslide: This is Lithuania: (the following images: http://www.mapsland.com/maps/europe/lithuania/large-location-map-of-lithuania-preview.jpg https://www.travelblog.org/Maps/map-of-Lithuania-lh.gif) / Lithuania is a country in the Baltic region of 2,9 million people, a member of both NATO and the EU. / Lithuania reintroduced conscription somewhat suddenly in 2015 and made the policy permanent in 2016. Men of ages 19-26 are conscripted for 9 months of military service.
Motion: TH regrets Lithuania reintroducing conscription
Cambridge IV (18-19 November 2016 in Cambridge, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Karin Merckens (CA), Thomas Simpson (CA), Veenu Goswami (CA)
- R1: THW abolish all government schemes that provide grants, tax-breaks or loans at preferential terms to home buyers
- R2: THBT indigenous groups in parliamentary democracies should form independent political parties instead of encouraging their members to vote for, and run on behalf of, existing parties
- R3: THBT governments should make available a publicly searchable database containing the income, wealth and taxes paid by all citizens
- R4: THW prohibit the use of predictive algorithms in criminal trials
- R5: TH, as Israel, opposes a Iran nuclear deal
- Open Quarters: THBT states should focus on negotiating bilateral trade agreements over large, regional agreements such as the TPP and RCEP
- ESL Semis: Infoslide: The Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) is an economic union currently consisting of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Russia. It involves the free movement of capital, labour, goods and services, provides for common regulations across a range of industries and there are plans for creating a common currency.
Motion: THBT membership of the EAEU is in the interests of Central Asian states
- Novice Final: THW allow individuals to sue the government when the government has failed to provide a basic standard of living
- Open Semis: THBT Pro-choice politicians should reject the position that abortion is legitimate but regrettable
- ESL Final:
- Open Final:
Cicero Tournament (19 November 2016 in Tilburg, Netherlands)
CA Team: Jos Buijvoets (CA), Josse van Proosdij (CA), Marike Breed (CA), Wieger Maris (CA), Ybo Buruma (CA)
- R1: THW allow the use of doping in professional cycling
- R2: THW let the citizens of a municipality choose their mayor
- R3: THW ban foreign financing of mosques in the Netherlands
- R4: THBT the government of the Netherlands should unconditionally sign the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement
- R5: THW stop using the CITO-toets (and every other way of central examination on primary schools)
- Semi: TH supports the existence of Grindr
- Proam Final: THW allow duelling to the death
- Final: TH, as the state of California, would separate itself from the United States of America if Trump implements the 'Muslim Registry'
Maastricht Novice (19 November 2016 in Maastricht, Netherlands)
CA Team: Srdjan Miletic (CA), Jelte Schievels (DCA), Lucy Lester (DCA)
- R1: THW not eat meat
- R2: TH supports WikiLeaks's decision to release Hillary Clinton's e-mails
- R3: THW rather live in a world where make up did not exist
- R4: THW legalise child labour in developing countries
- Final: Infoslide: There is a button. If pressed, nuclear weapons no longer function. This would be immediately detected by owners of said weapons. If you do not press the button immediately, it will disappear.
Motion: THW press the button
Joensuu Mini (19-20 November 2016 in Joensuu, Finland)
CA Team: Annabelle van Beusekom (CA), Milla Huuskonen (CA), Sara Halonen (DCA)
- R1: THW make the use of anonymous CVs* compulsory
* applications not revealing applicant's name, ethnicity, gender & age
- R2: TH as the EU would create a common European military force
- R3: THBT European newspapers should disproportionately report positive stories of refugees integrating into society
- R4: THW prefer to live in a world without religious beliefs
- Final: Infoslide: Autonomous military robots are a technology under development. They are capable of acting without human control, as specified by their programming. Laws for who is legally accountable for the actions of such robots have not been set yet.
Motion: THW hold programmers of autonomous military robots accountable for the war crimes the robot commits
Cambridge Women’s (20 November 2016 in Cambridge, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Bionda Merckens (CA), Evan Lynyak (CA), Gigi Gil (CA), Sharmila Parmanand (CA)
- R1: TH prefers secular governments that exclude all religion from public spaces to those that allow all religions in public
- R2: THBT nations should invest in regional human rights institutions at the expense of global institutions (such as the ICC)
- R3: TH regrets the rise of choice feminism
- R4: THBT opposition parties in Latin America should seek incremental transitions of power rather than the recall or overthrow of ruling parties
- Open Semis: Infoslide: A Birth lottery system is a system in which prospective parents do not sire their own genetic child, but rather receive a fertilized egg. The fertilized eggs will be the result of a random pairing of genetic material from two people of the existing reproductive pool.
Motion: Assuming the technology exists and is enforceable, TH supports a universally applied birth lottery system
- Open Final: Infoslide: The alt right is a subsection of conservative political ideology that rejects many elements of mainstream conservatism, such as free market economics, and often relies on nativist and anti-establishment arguments.
Motion: THBT social media platforms (e.g. Facebook and Twitter) should censor alt right content
Cork IV (25-26 November 2016 in Cork, Ireland)
CA Team: Aodhan Peelo (CA), Gigi Gil (CA), Christopher Costigan (DCA), Nishith Hegde (DCA)
- R1: THBT teachers should contradict curriculum that they believe will be harmful to society
- R2: THBT feminists should actively adopt stereotypically "male" traits (such as being assertive, emotionally distant, "man-spreading" etc.)
- R3: THW never offer a reduced sentence in return for information relating to other crimes
- R4: TH, as the Catholic Church, W sell all wealth (including, but not limited to, art, property, and religious artefacts) to the highest bidder and donate the profit to the alleviation of poverty
- R5: THW give the African Union passport to all citizens of African Union member states
- Quarters: THW prefer a world in which everyone believed in the afterlife to one in which no-one did
- Semis: THBT states should use subliminal messaging to secretly push liberal values upon their citizens
- Novice Final: THBT feminists should oppose drag
- Open Final: THB the time has come for US citizens to form armed militias in opposition to the state
Tilbury House IV (25-27 November 2016 in Cologne, Germany)
CA Team: Duncan Crowe (CA), Johan Båge (CA), Melda Eren (CA)
- R1: Infoslide: A plaintiff (claimant, pursuer) in a civil case is often entitled to damages if they win the case. Third parties, in most jurisdictions, cannot sue on another‘s behalf. If they could buy the right to sue they would be able to do so and would gain an entitlement to whatever legal remedy the court offers.
Motion: THW allow plaintiffs to sell to third parties their right to sue
- R2: TH regrets the prominence given to celebrity endorsements of politicians and political parties
- R3: THW apply an environmental tax to cheap mass-produced clothing
- R4: Infoslide: WestWorld is a live action simulation world where visitors live out a Wild West adventure experience in a world populated by realistic humanlike androids. These androids inhabit various stereotyped roles e.g; bartender, farmer, prostitute but with realistic simulated personalities. Visitors can explore the world through scripted adventures. Visitors are allowed to choose whether to explore the world as a hero or, if they prefer, as a purely self-interested, hedonistic villain. Androids harmed in the world exhibit realistic emotional responses. Pleasures experienced in the world are very real. Advocates for the park say it allows you to explore your true self. The decision of what pathway to take is signified by their choice of hat in the induction process: white for hero, black for villain.
Motion: TH, as a female visitor to WestWorld, would choose to wear a black hat
- R5: Infoslide: Vernacular schools are schools which teach primarily in a language of a minority group other than the official, national language (e.g. Chinese and Indian language schools in Malaysia).
Motion: THBT developing nations with ethnically diverse populations should prohibit vernacular schools
- Semis: THBT NATO should create a 'safe zone' in rebel-held territory within Syria
- Final: TH regrets the decision of Clinton supporters in the immediate aftermath of the 2016 US election to frame the Trump victory as the result of misogyny and racism and not opposition to the political establishment and/or neoliberalism
Newcastle IV (26-27 November 2016 in Newcastle, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Bethany Garry (CA), Daniel Noble Stairs (CA), Mackenzie Tse (DCA)
- R1: THBT NGO's should not provide humanitarian aid to conflict areas until those areas are stabilised
- R2: Infoslide: "Off the Field" conduct means the actions and behaviour of a player when they are not in the field of play e.g. in their private life or during the offseason. In American sports, The Hall of Fame is the highest award that a sportsperson can achieve. Five years after retirement; a player becomes eligible to be voted into the Hall. The Panel of Voters are journalists and reporters who tend to be white. At present they are unable to vote based on a player’s off the field conduct, and must make decisions based on their sporting performance.
Motion: THBT sports Halls of Fame should consider a player’s off the field behaviour when deciding to induct them
- R3: THBT feminist activist groups should create separate communities and settlements inhabited only by women
- R4: Infoslide: RuPaul's Drag Race is a reality television show in which drag queens compete against each other for a cash prize and the title of 'America's Next Drag Superstar' The show is at least partially scripted, and often seems to select a particular drag queen as the season's 'villain'. It has been criticised for using language many consider to be slurs, and later dropped the criticised segment. The show has grown to be very popular, and is in its eighth season, with many of the show's breakout stars achieving commercial success. Its host, RuPaul, is a drag queen of colour who found mainstream fame in the 90s.
Motion: TH regrets RuPaul's Drag Race
- R5: Infoslide: Recently, third parties, including rich individuals and wealthy individuals, have invested in civil damages suits, providing the resources for the legal case in exchange for control of the case and a proportion of the settlement. If the case is lost, they absorb the costs.
Motion: TH supports the act of third parties investing in damages lawsuits in exchange for a share of the settlement
- Semis: Infoslide: Desirable Autonomies for Technological Applications or DATA's List is a list of rights that would be afforded to powerful artificial intelligence based upon demonstrating sufficient sentience. The list is limited to 1) right to life, 2) right to privacy (i.e. to withhold information), and 3) right to autonomous decisions.
Motion: TH supports the giving of DATA's List to AI
- Novice Final: THW legalise prostitution
- Open Final: THW remove public commemorations to individuals whose legacy is based upon divisive history, e.g. Winston Churchill, Vladimir Lenin
Exeter Pro-Am (27 November 2016 in Exeter, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Freddie Marshall (CA), Rosalie Butcher (CA)
- R1: THBT school subsidies for music should prefer popular, contemporary music over classical music
- R2: THW guarantee the amnesty of retired dictators
- R3: Infoslide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fswH63x5QC8
Motion: TH regrets Theresa May’s comments on the election of Donald Trump
- R4: THBT LGBT+ organisations should focus most of their money and organisation to help the most needed places abroad
- Final: Infoslide: A Designer baby is a baby whose genetic make-up has been selected in order to eradicate a particular defect, or to ensure that a particular gene is present.
Motion: Beyond basic defects, THW legalise designer babies
Lund IV (2-4 December 2016 in Lund, Sweden)
CA Team: Matti Bryder (CA), Michael Dunn Goekjian (CA), Olivia Sundberg Diez (CA)
- R1: THW ban all advertising of pharmaceutical and medical products to the public
- R2: In areas with high foreign language populations, THW use second language lessons in schools to teach the most commonly spoken language in that area (e.g. in areas with high Turkish populations in Germany, one would teach Turkish in classes currently focused on learning English as a second language)
- R3: Infoslide: A free trade zone is an area where barriers to trade are removed. This typically means no tariffs on trade, a ban on states supporting domestic industry over international and some degree of common regulation.
Motion: THBT African states should create an all-Africa free trade zone
- R4: THBT that all museums should offer to return all exhibits to their country of origin
- R5: TH, as Sweden, would pay countries near conflict zones to settle refugees rather than accepting new refugees in Sweden
- Quarters: THW allow medical practitioners not to perform specific treatments or procedures for religious reasons
- Semis: THW grant total self-governance to indigenous communities, e.g. the Inuit in Alaska or the Saami in Sweden
- Novice Final: THBT the states should enforce contracts signed before marriage that agree to punish infidelity
- Open Final: THBT nuclear weapons have made the world a safer place
John Smith Memorial Mace Welsh Leg (3 December 2016 in Cardiff, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Bailey Reid (CA), Lucy Murphy (CA)
- R1: THW Require all citizens to give a year’s national service
- R2: Infoslide: Kamikaze fighters are combatants who willingly and knowingly sacrifice themselves in war. EG. Japanese pilots who crashed into allied ships that helped destroy the 13th fleet.
Motion: THBT Kamikaze fighters are legitimate
- R3: THBT Teachers should allocate their time to students based on effort, EG Charter schools
- R4: TH regrets the narrative of the police force being institutionally racist
- Final: TH supports Trump's policy of closer Russia-US ties
Leiden Novice (3 December 2016 in Leiden, Netherlands)
CA Team: Daniel Bramble (CA), Jelte Schievels (CA), Simone Landman (CA), Ybo Buruma (CA)
- R1: THW ban the publication of polls in election times
- R2: THW require football clubs to be majority owned by their fanbases
- R3: THW oblige all religious institutions to open up all positions to women
Sheffield IV (3 December 2016 in Sheffield, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Srishti Krishnamoorthy-Cavell (CA), Tim Squirrell (CA), Katy Hatter (DCA)
- R1: TH regrets the existence of religious political parties
- R2: Infoslide: Blue skies research is scientific research in domains where “real world” applications are not immediately apparent. It has been defined as “research without a goal” and “curiosity driven research”.
Motion: THBT the state should not fund blue skies research
- R3: Infoslide: BDSM is a variety of sexual practices involving bondage, discipline, domination and submission, and sadomasochism. BDSM has historically existed primarily in secluded or underground communities, however it has increasingly emerged as visible in mainstream popular culture. Well-known examples of portrayals of BDSM include Fifty Shades of Grey, Rihanna’s S&M, and Anne Rice’s Sleeping Beauty trilogy.
Motion: TH supports the popularisation of BDSM
- R4: Infoslide: For the purpose of this debate, “Human Shield” is a term describing the deliberate placement of non-combatants in or around combat targets to gain an advantage over enemy units. Prominent examples include: shooting missiles from within cities to limit the enemy’s force response, locating military bases underneath civil infrastructure, such as hospitals, drawing the enemy to guerrilla fighting next to urban centers, etc.
Motion: THBT using Human Shield tactics, by the weaker side, is legitimate in asymmetrical wars
- Semis: Infoslide: Effective altruism is a philosophy, and social movement that attempts to apply evidence and reason to determining the most effective ways to improve the world. Effective altruism often has a focus on lives saved per pound, based on numerical, target based goals. For example- EA says it better to save 300 people’s eyesight through cataract operations, than provide one guide dog in the UK.
Motion: THBT individuals should only fund charities that follow effective altruism
- Final: THW prohibit the media from reporting on the mental illness of those accused of crimes
Southampton Open (3 December 2016 in Southampton, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Eleanor Angwin (CA), Raluca Vacaru (CA), Toby Tricks (CA)
- R1: THBT that football clubs should play no role in disciplining their fans
- R2: THBT Hollywood studios should write significantly more women in the roles of villains
- R3: Infoslide: Since the financial crisis, over £200bn of fines has been imposed on the world's 20 largest banks, with over £100bn imposed by the US regulator alone. Much of this money goes directly to the state levelling the fine, with some going directly towards compensating victims of misdeeds. Some banks, particularly in Europe, have struggled to build up their capital as required by the regulator due to the scale of these fines; RBS, for instance, recently failed the Bank of England stress test, in large part due to the losses caused by large fines for mortgage mis-selling and PPI. Many cases with multi-billion pound potential fines are still outstanding today for the world's largest banks.
Motion: TH regrets the extremely large fines imposed on financial institutions after the financial crisis
- R4: Infoslide: There is a killer flu that the whole of the UK’s population is infected with. The UK has been successfully quarantined by other countries, such that no-one has the killer flu outside of the UK. There is only one cure for this disease, and without it death is inevitable; the whole country was infected within a few days, and it is expected that everyone will die in about 2 months without the cure. The UK government has enough of the cure to save 10% of the country’s population. High ranking figures in the government, the emergency services and the army have already been given the cure; it should be assumed that the government will be able to deliver the cure to whom it chooses, given this.
Motion: THBT the UK government should seek to allocate the cure on the basis of social merit (eg lack of a criminal record, charitable giving, volunteering)
- Final: Infoslide: Big Brother is a reality TV show where contestants are locked in a house and isolated from the entire world with no ability to communicate (e.g. phones or hearing news). The actions of the contestants are filmed and streamed 24/7, with the highlights then broadcast on TV in an hour long episode each night. Each week, the contestants participate in themed weekly challenges. At the end of each week, the public votes negatively to evict one member of the house. The contestant with the most votes must leave the house. In the final, the public vote positively for which of the final four contestants they want to win.
Motion: THW place the top ten candidates for US President in the Big Brother House, and declare the contest victor President
Centrale Open (9-10 December 2016 in Paris, France)
CA Team: Harish Natarajan (CA), Sella Nevo (CA), Sharmila Parmanand (CA)
- R1: THBT states should ban the positive depictions of former oppressive leaders
- R2: THBT when allocating resources to their children, poor families should allocate most of their resources to support the most talented child in the family
- R3: Infoslide: An Artificial Intelligence machine (such as a robot) passes the “Extended Turing Test” if through extended conversation a human being cannot distinguish between the machine and an actual human.
Motion: THW grant human rights to any machine that passes the “Extended Turing Test”
- R4: THBT African-American parents should teach their children to distrust and avoid contact with the police
- R5: THW bail out failing established newspapers
- Semis: THW use the inquisitorial system in the criminal justice system (as opposed to the adversarial one)
- Novice Final: THW oppose human immortality
- Open Final: THBT the Democratic Party should take on a much more centre-leftist position and support a mass redistribution of wealth agenda
SSE Riga IV (9-11 December 2016 in Riga, Latvia)
CA Team: Johan Båge (CA), Michael Dunn Goekjian (CA), Monica Forman (CA), Rasmuss Filips Geks (CA)
- R1: THBT publicly funded universities should be required to reduce enrolment in degree programs within their university that have statistically poor employment outcomes
- R2: THBT search engines should deprioritise search or autocomplete results with sexist, racist or otherwise offensive content
- R3: TH regrets the promotion of religion in countries formerly ruled by communist regimes in Eastern Europe
- R4: THBT the US should abandon all military support for and impose economic sanctions on the Philippines
- R5: THBT the governments of Brazil and Peru should contact uncontacted Amazonian tribes
- Partial Quarters: THBT governments in the developing world should limit migration to megacities
- Semis: THBT Italy should have voted ‘si’ in last week’s referendum on constitutional reform
- Novice Final: TH supports the use of referendums when deciding whether to permit same sex marriage
- Open Final: TH supports the demolition of makeshift refugee camps on the borders between European countries e.g. The Calais Jungle in France, The Idomeni Camp in Greece
Birmingham IV (10-11 December 2016 in Birmingham, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Olivia Sundberg Diez (CA), Rebecca Meredith (CA)
- R1: TH regrets Disney's use of indigenous characters and settings in their films
- R2: THBT pro-remain political parties and campaign groups should launch a class action suit against prominent members of the Leave campaign for Fraud
- R3: Infoslide: The One-China policy refers to the practice whereby countries seeking diplomatic relations with The People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China) must break official relations with The Republic of China (ROC, Taiwan). This means that countries observing the One-China policy do not officially recognise Taiwanese claims of independence
Motion: THBT the Trump administration should abandon the One-China policy
- R4: In post conflict societies, THW grant amnesty to perpetrators of crimes rather than seeking prosecutions
- R5: THW make membership of Trade Unions compulsory
- Quarters: THW ban organisations from promoting abstinence
- Semis: Infoslide: The city of Mosul, which is predominantly Sunni, is currently the de facto capital of the Islamic State in Iraq. / There is currently a joint US-backed offensive against Mosul on three fronts. These are fought by the Kurdish Peshmerga, the Iraqi Armed Forces and the People’s Mobilization Forces (PMF). / The PMF is a Shia militia which is backed by Iran and Hezbollah. It controls significant strategic positions and villages outside of Mosul. / Turkey and the Iraqi government have asked the PMF to not enter Mosul.
Motion: TH regrets the inclusion of the People's Mobilization Forces in the war against the Islamic State
- Final: THBT Eastern European states should destroy monuments from their Soviet Union period
Kharkiv Open (17-18 December 2016 in Kharkiv, Ukraine)
CA Team: Kit Mercer (CA), Sella Nevo (CA), Eliot Pallot (DCA)
- R1: THBT doctors should be allowed to lie to their patients in order to create or augment a placebo effect
- R2: Infoside: Despite governmental distribution and subsidy of rice and wheat in India, there are still over 100 million individuals suffering from hunger.
Motion: THBT India should allow individuals suffering from hunger to sue the government for failing to provide them with food
- R3: Infoside: Religious hospitals are official, medically trained hospitals, which give both standard treatments and “religious treatment” such as prayers and other rituals. Medical procedures are done only if they don’t clash with religious law, and decisions are made through religious consultation.
Motion: THW legalize religious hospitals
- R4: TH, as the US electoral college, would refuse to vote Donald Trump into office and instead vote in a moderate Republican
- R5: THW only provide state pension to those mentally or physically unable to work
- Semis: Infoslide: Pink Pistols is a homosexual activist group that aims to support and encourage gun ownership by LGBT+ individuals in the United States of America. They have over 7,000 active members across 33 different states, and are rapidly growing. Their motto is "Pick on someone your own caliber".
Motion: TH regrets the existence of the Pink Pistols movement
- Final: TH, as Ukraine, regrets its decision to destroy its nuclear arsenal and join the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT)
NCH IV (17-18 December 2016 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Joe Roussos (CA), Katie Heard (CA), Thomas Simpson (CA)
- R1: THBT governments should adopt a dramatic reduction in working hours as a key policy goal
- R2: THW ban universities from patenting technology they develop
- R3: TH prefers a hard Brexit
- R4: Infoslide: Earning to give involves deliberately pursuing the highest-earning career possible for you, for the purpose of donating a significant portion of earned income, typically because of a belief in effective altruism. Effective altruism is a philosophy that applies evidence and reason to determining the most effective ways to improve the world, e.g. choosing between charities on the basis of their impact per dollar spent.
Motion: THW earn to give
- R5: THBT the left needs to reclaim nationalism
- Semis: Infoslide: Your lifelong aspiration is to climb Mt Doom. You have invested significant effort in achieving this goal. Before climbing Mt Doom you are warned that it is extremely dangerous: there is a very high risk of death, and there are no rescue teams as the mountain is so dangerous. You only have one chance to climb. On your climb, you discover a mountaineer who was injured in a rock fall. No one else is scheduled to climb in the near future. If you abort your climb and help him, you judge there is a 1/3 chance he will survive.
Motion: THW keep climbing
- Final: Infoslide: Go Set a Watchman was announced by publishers as a previously undiscovered sequel of Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird, but it is now thought to be an early draft. In Mockingbird, the main character Atticus Finch is seen as a hero standing against the racism of the South by defending a black man falsely accused of rape. In Watchman, he appears as a supporter of segregation but nevertheless a supporter of due process. Before the publication of Watchman, Harper Lee had previously said she would not publish another novel. At the time of its approval for publication, Lee was "in a wheelchair in an assisted living centre, nearly deaf and blind, with a uniformed guard posted at the door" and her visitors "restricted to those on an approved list".
Motion: TH regrets the publication of Go Set a Watchman
Dutch Debating Winter School (22-23 December 2016 in Tilburg, Netherlands)
CA Team: Bas Tönissen (CA), Daan Welling (CA), Duncan Crowe (CA), Milla Huuskonen (CA), Nastia Grishkova (CA), Raluca Vacaru (CA)
- R1: TH prefers the draft (conscription by lottery) to aggressive recruitment of volunteers as a means of enrolling people in the army
- R2: THW stop using broad economic sanctions as a tool for foreign policy
- R3: In Western liberal democracies, THW prefer that news media were required to state a political bias rather than having an industry norm of neutrality
- R4: THR the rise of "Choice Feminism" which claims individual women may legitimately choose to participate in structures considered to be oppressive e.g. wearing makeup, wearing the veil, Sheryl Sandberg telling women in the tech industry to lean in and 'act like men'
- R5: THBT democracies should extend voting rights to migrant workers
- Semis: Infoslide: The Netherlands have an inquisitorial justice system (i.e. no jury). There is currently a draft law under consideration of the Dutch senate that gives victims and the bereaved an unlimited right to be heard in criminal proceedings. This means the victim can now not only speak about the crime and its impact in court, but also about the evidence, the way the proceedings were carried out, and about the suitable punishment.
Motion: THW pass the draft law
- Final: Infoslide: Mind uploading is the process of scanning a person’s brain and uploading the copy to a supercomputer. The computer perfectly simulates the person whose mind has been scanned - it exhibits the same memories, reactions, thoughts, and feelings, to the extent that it thinks it is the person that it simulates. The simulations live in digital environments that can be set and manipulated by external agents.
Motion: Assuming the technology exists, THW allow interrogation by torture on mind-uploaded simulations of suspects in serious crime cases
Dutch WUDC (27 December 2016 to 4 January 2017 in the Hague, Netherlands)
CA Team: Karin Merckens (CA), Syed Saddiq (CA), Hyewon Rho (DCA), Jodie O'Neill (DCA), Michael Dunn Goekjian (DCA), Omer Nevo (DCA), Veenu Goswami (DCA), Yashodhan Nair (DCA), Ingrid Rodriguez (ACA)
- R1: THBT post-genocidal regimes should destroy all places of extermination (for example, death camps)
- R2: THW allow members of the armed forces to form labour unions
- R3: THBT sports leagues should significantly tax and redistribute from wealthier teams to poorer teams
- R4: In areas with rapidly rising property prices, THW suspend all restrictions on property development that are not health and safety requirements (for example, environmental zoning regulations, building height restrictions, and regulations on the appearance of buildings)
- R5: Infoslide: The Netherlands has a political system with many political parties in which no one party typically gets a majority of the vote. Seats in the parliament are allocated in proportion to the number of votes received by each party on a national level (‘proportional representation’). The government is formed by the coalition of parties that has a majority in the parliament.
Motion: THBT the Netherlands should allow citizens to purchase additional votes from the government at a cost proportional to their wealth (for example, one additional vote for 1% of wealth)
- R6: THBT the world would be a better place if women from privileged backgrounds turned down any benefits arising from affirmative actions programs
- R7: THBT South Korea should produce nuclear weapons
- R8: TH regrets the glamorization of start-up culture that encourages people to start own companies rather than pursue traditional career paths
- R9: THW temporarily and significantly relax minimum labour standards in times of unusually high unemployment, including workplace health and safety standards, minimum wage, working hour restrictions etc.
- Open Partial Double Octos: THBT countries close to conflict zones should only grant long-term asylum to refugees who agree to one year of military service
- ESL Quarters: THBT the U.S. should provide significant campaign funding for federal and state congressmen and senators who score highly in bipartisan metrics*
* Scores derived from instances of voting with the other party, co-sponsoring bills, etc., calculated by independent bodies
- Open Octos: THW advocacy for religious belief in public places
- ESL Semis: TH, as the Pope, would abolish the requirement for clerical celibacy
- EFL Semis: THBT the primary language of instruction for school education in developing countries should be English
- Open Semis: TH, as the Chinese Communist Party, will allow fair and competitive elections for local elections (i.e. mayors)
- EFL Final: THBT the European left should promote a hard left agenda, including the nationalisation of major industry, very high tax rates on wealthy, and expansion of the welfare states
- ESL Final: THW force all news organisations to operate as a non-profit
- Open Final: THW apply universal jurisdiction to crimes against the environment
Glasgow Pro-Am (14 January 2017 in Glasgow, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Douglas Jack (CA), Finia Kuhlmann (CA)
- R1: THW introduce universal basic income
- R2: THBT European mainstream parties should appeal to populist voters in the 2017 elections
- R3: THW introduce porn into sex ed classes
- R4: TH, as Turkey, would prioritise relations with Russia over the West
- Final: THBT Western Governments should support refugees in maintaining their home culture instead of assimilating into the host culture
York IV (14 January 2017 in York, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Kez Exley (CA), Owen Mooney (CA), Ethan Silver (DCA)
- R1: Infoslide: 'Tied aid' is a bilateral aid paid from developed world nations to the developing world. It consists of lump sum payments which can only be spent by the recipient country on goods and services from the donor country. 'Tied aid' can also require political or economic concessions to the donor country or require refusal of offers from other donors. 58% of bilateral aid is currently 'tied'.
Motion: TH, as the democratic leader of a developing nation, would refuse to accept 'tied aid'
- R2: THB in the right to bear arms for self defence
LSESU Pro-Am (14 January 2017 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Jamie Jackson (CA), Radko Nedyalkov (CA), Ruby Holmes (CA)
- R1: THW remove all limits on how many terms elected politicians can serve in mature democracies
- R2: THW allow convicts to convert minor sentences (e.g. 6 months or less in prison; fines) to corporal punishment
- R3: Infoslide: New Atheists (e.g., Richard Dawkins) advocate that religious beliefs and superstitions are incompatible with science and should not be tolerated but should be actively criticized, and exposed by rational challenge wherever its influence arises in government, education and politics
Motion: TH regrets the rise of New Atheism
- R4: THBT international financial institutions (e.g. the World Bank, IMF) should not make economic liberalisation a condition of loans or aid for developing countries
Inner Temple IV (20-21 January 2017 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Mackenzie Tse (CA), Steven Ramesh Rajavinothan (CA), Teck Wei Tan (CA)
- R1: THBT leaders of groups that used violence should not take up significant government positions following the conflict
- R2: TH regrets the norm that encourages and expects young people to attend university
- R3: THW make people feel subconsciously guilty for not contributing significantly to alleviate suffering in the world
- R4: Infoslide: Athletics has been plagued by doping allegations and issues, leading to a fall in popularity. However, in the last two Olympics Games (in London and Rio de Janeiro respectively) the Great Britain Athletics team has been very successful and has had no doping allegations or issues. Lord Sebastian Coe is the President of the International Association of Athletics Federations and the Chairman of the British Olympic Association. / For the purposes of debate, please take the following as true: Lord Sebastian Coe has found evidence that numerous British athletes who have competed in the British and/or Rio Olympics games took performance-enhancing drugs. Some of these athletes won medals at one or both of these Olympics. Lord Coe knows for certain that: 1. he is the only person who has knowledge of this evidence; 2. if he were to destroy this evidence, that no other evidence relating to the British athletes who competed at the London and/or Rio Olympic Games would ever be found; and 3. no British athletes are currently using, or will use at the next Olympic games, performance-enhancing drugs.
Motion: TH, as Lord Coe, would destroy rather than release the evidence
- Open Semis: Infoslide: Eternity Pills, once consumed, irreversibly stop the ageing process and theoretically allow individuals to live forever. They do not prevent death from trauma or disease.
Motion: TH prefers a world in which Eternity Pills exist
- Novice Final: TH supports President Obama's decision to commute the sentence of Chelsea Manning
- Open Final: TH supports a norm where adult children take in their elderly parents, even in cases where their parents have the financial means to support themselves
Nottingham Trent Open (20-22 January 2017 in Nottingham, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Becky Montacute (CA), Katrin Fallman (CA), Saskia Neibig (CA)
- R1: Infoslide: The living wage is the hourly wage required by a full-timer worker to live above the poverty line.
Motion: THW make the minimum wage the Living Wage
- R2: Infoslide: Currently, in competitive team sports, men and women compete separately in categories of their biological sex.
Motion: THW remove sex categories in all competitive team sports, and instead mandate that all teams are comprised of equal numbers of players from each biological sex category
- R3: TH, as the Labour party, would abandon support for freedom of movement
- R4: Infoslide: Mandatory minimum sentences are a minimum of punishment a judge has to decide on for a certain crime, regardless of the circumstances under which this crime was committed.
Motion: THW abolish mandatory minimum sentences
- Semis: THW only pay paternity/maternity leave to families in which both parents take at least a certain amount of leave
- Final: Infoslide: Mandated power-sharing is a system in which parties compete within their own ethnic groups and the winning parties for each side must form a coalition. If either party resigns, a new election must be called. Eg: Northern Ireland. / Integrationism is a system in which when seeking election, a candidate must win a minimum amount of support across all groups (eg: 30%) as well as an overall majority Eg: Nigeria
Motion: In post-conflict societies, TH prefers mandated power-sharing to integrationist constitutions
Aberdeen Open (21 January 2017 in Aberdeen, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Beckie Jean (CA), Jack Stanley (CA), Penny Sadeghi (CA)
- R1: THW abolish trial by jury
- R2: THW mandate that characters from minority identity groups in TV/film be played by characters from those groups
- R3: Infoslide: The West Bank in Palestine is controlled by Fatah, led by President Abbas. Internationally Fatah are seen as the legitimate government of the Palestinian Authorities, negotiations primarily occur via Abbas. / The Gaza Strip in Palestine is controlled by Hamas. Hamas are viewed as a terrorist organisation by much of the West including the USA and EU. Hamas are often aggressive towards Israel, and use political violence against opposition groups and political parties including against Fatah in the 2007 civil war. / President Abbas has previously blamed lack of progress towards peace with Israel on Hamas' aggression.
Motion: THBT The West should intervene in Gaza to overthrow Hamas
- R4: THW abolish national curricula
- Final: If offered in negotiations, TH as the UK government, would allow UK nationals to purchase associate EU membership
Trinity Women’s Open (26 January 2017 in Dublin, Ireland)
CA Team: Caitríona Ní Bhriain (CA), Sophie Corke (CA), Niamh Egleston (DCA)
- R1: THBT terror suspects should be granted media anonymity in the immediate aftermath of an attack
- R2: TH, as the EU, would aggressively increase promotion and funding of minority languages in their member states
- R3: Infoslide: In Catholicism, the Sacrament of Penance is the method by which Catholics may privately confess their sins and have them forgiven by a priest. / The intent of this sacrament is to provide healing for the soul as well as to regain the grace of God, lost by sin. A perfect act of contrition removes the eternal punishment associated with sin - including mortal sins - for example murder, theft, and perjury. / Priests are bound to the Seal of the Confessional i.e. absolute secrecy about any sins revealed in confession.The spiritual penalty for a priest who breaks the Seal of the Confessional is automatic excommunication from the church. / In 1992, the vicar of a mafia-dominated parish in Palermo, aroused a storm of criticism by revealing that a young mafioso had confessed to him that he took part in five massacres. The Seal of the Confessional is currently protected in various jurisdictions, including but not limited to Ireland, the USA, and Italy.
Motion: THW compel priests to report to state authorities crimes admitted during confession
- Semis: Infoslide: Unit 731 was a Japanese research facility in occupied China during WWII in which prisoners and civilians were used as human guinea pigs in a range of experiments, involving cruelty and intentional infliction of suffering and disease. Some of these led to important scientific discoveries. / The Tuskegee Syphilis Study (1932-72) examined the natural progression of untreated syphilis among African-American men. Patients were not informed of their disease status and researchers knowingly failed to treat them even after penicillin became the standard treatment for the disease.
Motion: THW prefer a world in which research findings based on unethical research procedure were never put to use.
- Final: Infoslide: Strong artificial intelligence (AI) is an artificial intelligence construct that has mental capabilities and functions that mimic the human brain. Autonomous artificial intelligence is technology which is programmed to be able to make decisions without human intervention. / A number of states, including but not limited to the USA, Israel, the UK, Russia, and China, are investing heavily in the development of weapons which make use of autonomous artificial intelligence, such as missiles which can identify and attack targets and ships which can hunt for enemy submarines over thousands of miles.
Motion: TH supports the categorisation of the military use of autonomous AI as a war crime
Trinity IV (27-28 January 2017 in Dublin, Ireland)
CA Team: Gigi Gil (CA), Hannah Beresford (CA), Michael Coleman (CA), Michael Dunn Goekjian (CA)
- R1: THW force all companies to be 100% owned by their workers
- R2: THBT the British government should pay reparations to Northern Irish Catholics
- R3: THBT the use of erotic capital by women does more harm than good
- R4: Infoslide: The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a free trade agreement between Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States and Vietnam. In recent days, Donald Trump has signed an executive order committing to withdrawing the United States from the TPP.
Motion: THBT China should join the TPP
- R5: THBT post-colonial states should commemorate their war dead who died fighting for their former coloniser
- Novice Final: THB in God
- Open Quarter: Infoslide:
Motion: THB the Israeli Government should grant the right of return to Palestinians, rather than partition the country into two separate states of Israel and Palestine
- ESL Final: THBT leaders of the American Left (e.g. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren) should publicly promote collective acts of nonviolent civil disobedience aimed at disrupting the Trump administration, e.g. sit ins, selective sabotage if state construction projects, strike action by government contractors etc
- Semis: THB religions should discourage their adherents from attempting to justify faith rationally
- Open Final: THB the Mainstream European left should pursue a hard left agenda
Warwick IV (28 January 2017 in Coventry, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Clare Robinson (CA), Darion Hotan (CA), Martin Devenney (CA)
- R1: Infoslide: On 1 June 2015 Dylann Roof murdered 9 people in a church in Charlestown, South Carolina. A federal court has sentenced Dylann Roof to death.
Motion: TH regrets the death penalty for Dylann Roof
- R2: Infoslide: Radical Honesty is the belief that people should overwhelmingly favour honesty in social interactions. This broadly includes the belief that we shouldn’t lie to protect people’s emotions (white lies): “you look fantastic in that dress” or “no, mum, your chilli tastes amazing” This does not necessitate telling the truth in very extreme cases, e.g. telling an axe murderer where a child is hiding.
Motion: TH supports a norm of radical honesty
- R3: Infoslide: The Justice against the Sponsors of Terrorism Act was passed in October 2016. It allows the families of the victims of terror acts to sue nations (e.g. Iran, Saudi Arabia) that are they deem sponsors of the terrorist organisation involved in their family member’s death.
Motion: THW allow family members of terror victims to sue states that sponsor those attacks
- R4: THW allow Police Departments to profit from confiscated goods
- Semis: Infoslide: Ethiopia has two major ethnic groups, the Oromo (Christian) and the Amhara (Muslim). The Oromo currently control the Government. Since 2015, the Amhara have been protesting against the Government's treatment of their region, with elements pushing for independence. / The Government has declared a state of emergency and restricted international access to these demonstrations; however, there are allegations of human rights abuses. The Government has repeatedly refused to admit international observers.
Motion: THW force Ethiopia to accept international observers
- Novice Final: THW implement a maximum wage
- Final: THBT humanitarian NGOs should allow doctors in conflict zones to refuse to treat known members of terrorist organisations
Bristol Pro-Am (4 February 2017 in Bristol, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Bailey Reid (CA), Nick Zervoudis (CA), Sophia Rodriguez (CA)
- R1: THW ban the screening and production of films depicting current or recent conflicts
- R2: THW allow workers to sell their rights in exchange for higher pay (e.g. right to form or join a trade union, health and safety protections, right to maternity/paternity leave)
- R3: Infoslide: A prenuptial, or premarital agreement, commonly abbreviated to prenup or prenupt, is a contract entered into prior to marriage, civil union or any other agreement prior to the main agreement by the people intending to marry or contract with each other. The content of a prenuptial agreement can vary widely, but commonly includes provisions for division of property and spousal support in the event of divorce or breakup of marriage. They may also include terms for the forfeiture of assets as a result of divorce on the grounds of adultery; further conditions of guardianship may be included as well. It should not be confused with the historic marriage settlement which was concerned not primarily with the effects of divorce but with the establishment and maintaining of dynastic families.
Motion: THW require all couples entering into a civil partnership or marriage to sign a prenuptial agreement
- R4: Infoslide: Multiculturalism refers to the existence of multiple cultural traditions within a single country, usually considered in terms of the culture associated with an aboriginal ethnic group and foreigner ethnic groups. This can happen when a jurisdiction is created or expanded by amalgamating areas with two or more different cultures (e.g. French Canada and English Canada) or through immigration from different jurisdictions around the world (e.g. United States, Australia, Canada, Brazil, United Kingdom, New Zealand, and many other countries). / Multicultural ideologies and policies vary widely, ranging from the advocacy of equal respect to the various cultures in a society, to policies of promoting the maintenance of cultural diversity, to policies in which people of various ethnic and religious groups are addressed by the authorities as defined by the group to which they belong. / Multiculturalism that promotes maintaining the distinctiveness of multiple cultures is often contrasted to other settlement policies such as social integration, cultural assimilation and racial segregation. Multiculturalism has been described as a "salad bowl" and "cultural mosaic".
Motion: THBT governments should prioritise policies focused on assimilation over policies of multiculturalism (e.g. large state school infrastructure over lots of small schools focused entirely around religion, ethnicity, gender)
- Final: Infoslide: 'Braindrain' is a slang term for a significant emigration of educated or talented individuals. A brain drain can result from turmoil within a nation, from there being better professional opportunities in other countries or from people seeking a better standard of living. / Common causes of a brain drain include: Political instability, poor quality of life, limited access to health care and a dearth of economic opportunity prompt skilled and talented workers to leave source countries for places that offer better living conditions and greater opportunities.
Motion: THBT citizens who pursue further or higher education should be required to return back to their home country for a period of time following their graduation THBT citizens who pursue further or higher education should be required to return back to their home country for a period of time following their graduation
Queen Mary IV (4 February 2017 in London, United Kingdom)
CA Team: Harish Natarajan (CA), Sharmila Parmanand (CA), Srishti Krishnamoorthy-Cavell (CA), Surya Kumaravel (DCA)
- R1: THW not allow children to participate in religious activities or become members of religious organisations
- R2: TH welcomes the rise of overtly biased media
- R3: THBT developing nations should distribute, as a dividend to citizens, income derived from natural resource extraction
- R4: TH regrets the characterization of soldiers as heroes
- Final: Infoslide: Respectability politics or the politics of respectability refers to attempts by marginalized groups to police their own members and show their social values as being continuous, and compatible, with mainstream values rather than challenging the mainstream for what they see as its failure to accept difference
Northumbria IV (4-5 February 2017 in Newcastle, United Kingdom)
Template IV (X-Y Month 2017 in city, country)
Estonian Open 2017 (X-Y Month 2017 in city, country)
R1: TH opposes the use of taxes explicitly designed to promote behavioral changes in citizens (ex. additional taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, non-eco friendly products).
R2: Infoslide: The Johnson Amendment is a US law. It states that tax-exempt entities like churches and charitable organisations are unable to directly or indirectly participate in any political campaign on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate. Specifically, ministers are restricted from endorsing or opposing candidates from the pulpit. If they do, they risk losing their tax-exempt status.
THW repeal the Johnson Amendment.
R3: THR the influence Tinder has on dating.
R4: TH does NOT welcome the increase in usage of robots and automatisation of labour.
R5: THBT women in highly gender-unequal democracies should form independent political parties instead of voting for, and running on behalf of , existing parties.
SF:Infoslide: A multi-tier EU is an idea floated around in policy-making circles that, when implemented, would allow member states to choose differing levels of adherence of EU laws and regulations in exchange for increased access to the common market and the Euro.
THS a “multi-tier EU”.
NF: THBT conscription is a war crime.
F:TH supports US airstrikes on Syrian military targets.
HWS Round Robin 2017 (X-Y Month 2017 in city, country)
R1: THS the use of “eye in the sky” policing in urban area with high crime rates.
R2: THS democratic governments using social disgust as a grounds for restricting public speech or display.
R3: TH regrets the shift in focus within the academic study of history from studying great figures and institutions to studying cultural forces and the experiences of ordinary people.
R4: Given the choice as an individual who is a typical, healthy 30-year-old, THW elect to never again feel the emotion of sorrow.
R5: THBT the US should issue guest worker visas, under which minimum wage laws would not apply.
Finals: THBT governments should abandon the strategy of "decapitation" in fighting terrorism.
PEP IV 2017 (X-Y Month 2017 in city, country)
Rd 1: This House Would fully subsidize gender reassignment surgery for pubescent teenagers regardless of parental consent.
Rd 2: Info Text: All theaters in Israel receive huge governmental subsidies. Theater companies are required to tour the entire country.
This House Believes that Israel should fine actors who refuse to perform in settlements.
Rd 3: Info Text: China’s ‘Social Credit System’ intends to use data to measure each citizen’s pro- or anti social behaviour (as decided by the Chinese government). China intends to use it to reward and sacntion its citizens.
This House Believes that the U.S. should hack China’s ‘Social Credit System’ in order to disrupt it.
Rd 4: Info Text: Republika Srpska is an entity in Bosnia & Herzegovina. It is populated mostly by ethnic Serbs, while the rest of Bosnia is populated mostly by ethnic Bosniaks and Croats. The majority of Republika Srpska’s population wants to secede.
This House Believes that Republika Srpska should be an independent state.
Rd 5: This House Believes that Mexico should allow neighbourhoods and cities in North Mexico to form armed militias in order to combat drug cartels.
Semi Final: This House Would impose criminal laws to crimes committed by users of avatars in virtual worlds (such as ‘Second Life’)
Final: Info Text: The EU backed customs union is a unified trade space for Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania and self-proclaimed state of Kosovo* (sic!)
This House Supports the EU backed Western Balkans Customs Union, even at the price of terminating the free trade agreement with Russia and joining the EU sanctions on Russia.
Cardiff Open 2017 (X-Y Month 2017 in city, country)
Rd 1: This House believes that all companies should be at least 75% owned by their workforce, in equal shares.
Rd 2: Info Text: Roxxxy, the first humanoid ‘sex-bot’, was developed in 2010. Although, no ‘Sex-bots’ have been sold, the infrastructure and the technology exist to create a sexbot with synthetic skin, capable of learning their owner’s wants and desires. These sexbots are not just used for sex but are also capable of simulating affection.
This House would ban the sale and ownership of sexbots.
Rd 3: Info Text: PewDiePie (Swedish gaming vlogger Felix Kjellberg) is the most subscribed-to channel (53 million subscribers) on YouTube, making millions of dollars every year. His videos are mostly gameplay videos, but also include some vlogs. He has been accused of anti-semitism on multiple occasions. Most recently, he posted a video claiming to be testing a theory that he could pay very little for a pair of freelancers to say and do extreme things. He asks the freelancers to unfurl a banner reading “Death to all Jews” as they laugh about it on camera. He appears to be horrified when they actually carry out the act. Youtube currently demonetises videos that contain offensive material (and other things) on a case-by-case basis, but allows the creator to earn money from the rest of their videos deemed clean.
This House, as YouTube, would demonetise all of PewDiePie’s videos.
Rd 4: Info Text: A pardon is a government decision to allow a person who has been convicted of a crime to be free and absolved of that conviction, as if never convicted. In most jurisdictions, there is no need to admit guilt to accept this pardon.
In Western Liberal Democracies, This House would remove the executive’s power to grant pardons.
Pro-Am Final: Info Text: Individuals are often required to disclose information of criminal history for example when applying for jobs, schooling, and tenancies. This is separate to any requirements under the Sexual Offenders Register or other disclosure requirements.
This House would not require individuals to disclose their criminal record, except when dealing with vulnerable individuals (e.g. schools).
Final: Info Text: Respectability politics refers to attempts by marginalized groups to show their social values as being compatible with mainstream values rather than challenging the mainstream for what they see as its failure to accept the inherent difference between them.
This House believes that marginalized groups should abandon respectability politics.
Maynooth Open 2017 (X-Y Month 2017 in city, country)
Round 1: THBT the US should impose tariffs on the products of companies that shut down manufacturing plants and outsource jobs.
For the purposes of this debate, “outsourcing” refers to when multinationals close down manufacturing plants in the United States, and relocate to regions in which environmental and labour legislation is more relaxed
Round 2: THW Make it a Wasteland (Open Motion)
Round 3: THW make holocaust denial a crime
Round 4:Infoslide: Transnational criminal gangs engage in international crime, including but not limited to: trafficking human beings, and smuggling drugs and illegal weapons.
THBT the USA Should Assassinate the Leaders of Transnational Criminal Gangs, Regardless of Country They Are Located In
Round 5: A European, non-Muslim, progressive female politician has been asked to give a speech at a European Mosque. When she arrives, she is informed that she will be required to wear a headscarf, and that the attendees will be segregated by gender with men at the front and women at the rear.
THB that when presented with this scenario, non-Muslim, progressive female politicians should refuse to speak at the event.islam
Semi Final:Infoslide 1: ‘Mother and baby homes’ were an institution ran by the Catholic Church in Ireland until 1970’s. Unmarried mothers were forced into these homes, performed unpaid labour, and had their newborn children forcibly taken from them, to be sold for adoption if possible. At a former mother and baby home named Tuam, the remains of over 700 children were uncovered in a septic tank. They died as a result of neglect from the nuns.
Infoslide 2: On her deathbed, a nun who was active in running a mother and baby home apologises, and sincerely pleads you for forgiveness. You are alone with her, and no-one will ever know what you tell her.
TH, as a survivor of the mother and baby home, would not forgive the nun.
Novice Final: Infoslide:Ireland has been historically neutral, including during the Second World War. It is not a member of NATO, and solely contributes troops to the UN on a peacekeeping and humanitarian basis.
THW end Irish neutrality.
Grand Final: Open Motion
Liverpool IV 2017 (X-Y Month 2017 in city, country)
Rd 1: Info text: Bahasa Indonesia is the official national language of Indonesia, but over 300 local languages are widely spoken. Bahasa Indonesia (and only Bahasa Indonesia) is the compulsorily language of educational instruction at all levels of education. While it is used widely for communication, over 80% of the population speaks other languages as their mother tongue. 8/10 students entering primary school will be taught in a language which they are not most – or not at all – familiar with. About two hours a week are devoted to ‘local studies’.
This House would make local languages the primary language of instruction in schools.
Rd 2: This House would abolish 24hour news media channels.
Rd 3: Info Text: Celtic and Rangers are two football teams in the city of Glasgow. Celtic is associated with Glasgow’s Catholic community and Rangers with its Protestant community. Clashes between teams and their supporters are heavily sectarian in nature, with games being a significant flashpoint of sectarian conflict, and are a contributing cause to the city’s reputation for violence.
This House would integrate Celtic and Rangers into a single team.
Rd 4: This House would keep oil prices artificially high.
Semi-Final: Info Text: A “border poll” is a referendum in Northern Ireland on whether the nation should remain in the United Kingdom or join the Republic of Ireland. A border poll has been held once before in 1973, voting in favour of remaining in the UK. A majority (56.2%) of Northern Irish citizens support the holding of another border poll.
This house believes the Northern Irish assembly should hold a border poll.
Pro-Am Final: This House believes that the most important consideration when awarding scientific Nobel Prizes should always be its practical contribution to society.
Final: Info Text: Alexander the Great was a king and military commander in the 4th Century BCE. Considered the most effective military leader of all time, he had conquered the largest empire of the ancient world by the age of 30. There is historical evidence he was both romantically and sexually involved with men throughout his adolescence and adulthood. He was married twice, to two different women, and had at least six children. Ancient Greek society had no concept of a homosexual identity.
This House would describe Alexander the Great as gay in history books.