TRADITIONAL GRADING VS. STANDARDS-BASED GRADING
Traditional Grading (TG)
Standards-Based Grading (SBG)
Adapted from O’Connor K (2002). How to Grade for Learning: Linking grades to standards (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
COMPETENCY-BASED EDUCATION PRINCIPLES
1. Students advance upon demonstrated proficiency (rather than seat time).
2. Competencies are based on enduring understandings and require the transfer of knowledge, skills, and the Universal Constructs to complex situations in and/or across content areas and/or beyond the classroom (Units of learning defined by standards & competencies rather than courses or grade levels).
3. Assessment is a meaningful and a positive learning experience for students.
4. Students receive rapid, personalized support based on their individual learning needs.
5. All learning is validated regardless of when, where, or how students acquired and/or demonstrated the learning
Source: Iowa Department of Education Guidelines for PK-12 CBE (http://bit.ly/IACBE2016)
“Personalized learning is a progressively student-driven model in which students deeply engage in meaningful, authentic, and rigorous challenges to demonstrate desired outcomes” (Kallick & Zmuda, 2017)
Four defining attributes of personalized learning (Kallick & Zmuda, 2017)
Iowa ASCD Curriculum Leadership Academy 2017
Matt Townsley - email@example.com | @mctownsley
www.mctownsley.net/resources/ ß Slides and additional information