Raising Wages – Epic Story Elements
Quest: Every working person should be paid enough to care for and support their family and in so doing help build thriving communities.
- The dignity of work.
- Freedom from want.
- Responsibility – of employers to pay decent wages.
- Thriving communities.
Villains and their threats:
- Profitable corporations that use their influence to hold down wages and benefits.
- Employers that hold down wages so that their employees need to rely on public programs to care for and support their families.
- CEOs who pay themselves astronomical sums while keeping wages stagnant for their employees.
- Restaurant owners who profit from paying working people who get tips a subminimum wage.
- Elected officials who take the side of CEOs and not working people and communities when they oppose raising the minimum wage.
Heroes and their tools:
- People who work to care for and support their families.
- Working people who build thriving communities.
- Working people who shop in their neighborhoods, create jobs and help our communities thrive.
- Small businesses that do the right thing by paying higher wages than big, out of state corporations.
- Small businesses that understand when their employees earn more, that boosts Main Street and builds thriving communities.
- Moms and Dads who are paid low wages and rely on public support to care for and support their families.
- Elected officials who take the side of working people, not CEOs and support raising the minimum wage.