Andrew J. Ma (425) 223-3356 ● email@example.com
- Strong curiosity and passion for technology and building great products from consumer applications to enterprise software and services
- 15+ years of software engineering experience across web, mobile and backend services
- 8+ years building and leading highly effective engineering teams both local and remote
- Strong delivery of multiple mobile experience (tablet, phone and tv across Android and iOS)
- Proven track record of creative problem solving, data driven decision making, and strong bias for action
2017 - Current
- Seattle org-leader for a team focused on special audience started by building a team of 10 engineers.
- Seattle POC for hiring cross-functional roles (Product management, data science, design).
- Drove team’s current direction to focus on build new sharing formats for Facebook.
- Creating product roadmap and driving cross group efforts across multiple teams.
2014 - 2017
Director of Engineering – Global Mobile Consumer Platform
- Managing a team of 36 (managers and engineers) organized into 6 teams to build the core consumer mobile experience for Groupon.
- Driving relationship and organizational design over 12+ partner teams.
- Responsible for hiring, setting goals, overall architecture, strategy.
- Mentoring and growing individuals as well as annual performance reviews.
- Broke into comScore’s top 25 mobile app in 2016 (#2 in retail category).
Director of Engineering – Things-to-do/Groupon Getaways
- Building from scratch an organization of 22 engineers (4 teams - managers and engineers) supporting Things-to-do (activities) business and Getaways (travel) business. Located across two locations (Seattle and New York City).
- Ownership of travel and activities experiences in the Android and iOS Groupon mobile app as a partner distributed mobile team.
- Building services for onboarding events via 3rd party integration platform. Partnering with Ticketmaster, tickets.com and Telecharge to allow event vendors to partner with Groupon for promotions.
Senior Mobile Engineering Manager – Groupon Getaways Mobile
- Building and managing team of 10 engineers (SDE and QA) for the Getaways Android and iOS mobile team which powers the mobile strategy for a $300+ million business unit. Includes both the stand-alone Getaways app and the Getaways experience within the main Groupon app.
- Managing vendor/contractor and equipment budget.
- Led project to standard common mobile libraries across mobile apps in Groupon (Android/iOS).
- Mobile app featured in: Techcrunch, Geekwire, TheNextWeb, Mashable, NY Times.
2011 - 2014
Software Development Manager – Amazon Instant Video
- Leading the Core Mobile Platform team which provides base components for the Android codebase for Amazon Video including: network library, caching, weblabs, authentication, metrics.
- Staffing responsibilities: 1:1s, Performance management, annual reviews, interviewing, hiring.
- Leading a cross-organization effort to integrate Amazon Video into the Amazon Shopping app.
Software Development Engineer – Amazon Instant Video
- Senior leader of Amazon Video's Android engineering team who has successfully launched on 3 generations of Android based tablets, 3 TV platforms and on 2 phone platforms.
- Designed and implemented flagship features: ASAP (Advanced Streaming and Prediction) and X-Ray.
- Technical lead for various core initiatives such as: the Amazon Video app on Google TV and integration into Amazon Shopping app on Android phones. Leading cross-org technical architectural leadership.
- Technical lead for two additional unannounced cross-division projects.
2002 - 2011
Senior Software Engineer Manager – Developer Network Publishing Platform (2008-2011)
- Technical Lead for implementation of the publishing portal and integration of entire publishing pipeline which power $2 billion per year of content flowing from content developer through the marketplace to the end user and calculating royalties.
- Led a 10-person team to develop the content submission pipeline for the Xbox LIVE business which involved replacement of 120+ tools and 12 content types into one streamlined pipeline.
- Interviewing, hiring, performance review and performance management.
Software Engineer Manager – Bing (formerly Windows Live Search) (2006-2008)
- Managing a 4-person team to develop the Structured Data Pipeline which ingests millions of items through XML feeds into the search index on a daily basis.
- Responsible for multiple aspects of the Product Search service including quality assurance, sustain engineering, network/topology planning, development work, and project management
- Technical Lead for the creation of the Quality Scorecard across the entire Bing Search organization to begin measuring and reporting overall engineering health including live site quality with metrics.
Software Engineer - Microsoft Office InfoPath 2003 (2002-2004), MSN Shopping (2002-2006)
- Area Owner for xml feed ingestion system for a system designed to handle 50+ million products.
- Responsible for implementing the automation effort for MSN Shopping which involved gathering requirements, developing a test harness, designing and implementing the infrastructure.
- Created multiple tools that were shared across the division throughout MSN and Office.
- Published InfoPath web papers and technical blog entries.
University of Waterloo
Bachelor of Mathematics - Computer Science
- Bachelor of Mathematics in Honours Computer Science with co-operative education.
- Completed requirements for Information Systems option.
- Catalog for donated glasses (Add, label and parameterized search capabilities)
- Using NanoHTTPd in an Android app to serve a backbone.js based web app and a json format data stored in a local Android SQLite database.
Stack Overflow http://bit.ly/ajma-so | GitHub http://bit.ly/ajma-gh | Linkedin http://bit.ly/ajma-li