Marketing and Advertising
Sarah Smith presenting
Increasing customer base
Where to start? Ask yourself
- Is the market diversified?
- Is it in the best location?
- Is it on the best day of the week?
- What is the customer base shopping at this market?
- How is your market better and stronger than the easy choice of food that is not local?
- What resources will increasing the customer base require?
- What is the time commitment from you and others?
- Who are partnerships that can commit to promotion? (Remember it is a partnership and you will still have time to commit.)
Ideas for free events
- Music from a local band
- Bring in displays i.e. giant pumpkins
- Having a live demonstration for customers to take part in i.e. pressing cider
- Antique cars and tractors
- Kids events
Ideas for partnering with local businesses and non-profits
- Wagons to carry bags out of market can be sponsored by business
- Public health
- Business donating item and raffling it off i.e. freeze from an appliance store fill with farmer's product
- Any local festival/event already taking place in the community
Fundraisers and Programs
- Pottery sale, made by the vendors, to raise money for the market
- Cook offs
- Fruit and veggie prescription program
- Sell tickets to a harvest dinner
- Voucher tickets for kids to get free fruits and veggies
- Road race like a 5k starting and ending at market
These events bring in members of the community who come for the event and might not have come just to market.
Customer appreciation and rewards
- Keep them coming back
- Market booth
- Potluck with food provided by vendors
- Surveys and Mystery shoppers
- Frequent shopper cards-after spending designated amount of money there is a free reward given
- Friends of the Market program
Growing Your Farmers' Market-UC Davis (http://sfp.ucdavis.edu/files/144705.pdf)
Managing Customer Relations-UC Davis (http://sfp.ucdavis.edu/files/144671.pdf)
When Things Don't Work: Insight into Why Farmer's Markets Close (http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/small-farms-tech-report/eesc_1073.pdf)
Clara Moore presenting
Friends of the Market programs and Social Media
Friends of the Market program
- Community membership for Friends of the Market
- Yearly donation
- Customers are the market!
How to start?
- Simple conversation: Ask if they want to be a friend of the market?
- Then if they become a friend, give them a small gift for joining.
- Finally, contact them. Maintaining contact is important so in the next year they are more willing to give
Benefits to your market and friends of the market
- Members are a good volunteer base
- Give member updates on market events and happenings
- Branding is important for your market!
- Gives consistency
- Have one person be the voice
- Personal: "whispering in their ear"
What platform to choose?
- Facebook-everyone uses
- Instagram-younger crowd
Use it as a personal connection
- Be a friend
- Show people in action
- Stay lighthearted
- Do not post too often
- Use tools i.e. boosting, scheduling posts
- Repost farmers
- Share links
- No more than two times a day
- Short and sweet
- Respond quickly
- Post only 5 pictures at a time
- Become a source of information
- Post as much as you want
- Simple captions
- Capture attention with high quality pictures
What are ways to create advertisements for events and fundraisers?
- Canva and Moldiv are user friendly sites.
Do all vendors have to be involved in incentive programs at a market?
- Include everyone who wants to be involved.
How do you get local community members to like social media sites?
- Give an incentive if people share a post or like a page
- Have a follow up post for the person who won
- Gift baskets are another good incentive
Do you advertise where the money for Friends of the Market goes?
- Yes, Clara's example goes to low income access for the market. Friends of the Market know that is where the money is going.
Who manages the kids table?
- Volunteer position to set up and make sure there is supplies.
- The market funds the supplies.
- The table is in the middle of the market.