Middletown Springs Auditors Meeting
February 28, 2018 – 7:30 PM
Middletown Springs Town Office
Auditors present: Juanita Burch-Clay (Nita), Sarah Grimm, Melissa Chesnut-Tangerman
Others present: None
Call to order: 7:32 PM
· Minutes from the January 24, 2018 meeting were approved.
2. Agenda adjustments: Topic of meeting is discussion of priorities for auditors’ attention for the rest of Fiscal Year 17/18 and Calendar Year 2018, along with timelines and goals.
3. Review auditor activities since last meeting:
4. Priorities for Auditors’ Attention
o Research requirements for an external audit
§ Melissa has started the research and has info from VLCT.
§ Next steps are to meet with the Treasurer for input, check with other towns who have done this recently, and develop a timeline for the RFP.
o Work with town fund trustees to clarify reporting, and prepare a report for FY18 (end of June.)
§ Nita will continue work on this
o Review cash receipts procedures and make adjustments as necessary
§ Meetings to be set up with Treasurer, Clerk, and others
o Internal controls checklist from VLCT
§ To review at the March meeting
o According to the Select Board, the sheriff reported that $7632 in tickets was issued in 2017, but the Treasurer reports that the Town had received $717 as of November 2017. Sarah will look into it.
o Nita will address this in her work with the funds
o Audit checklist – Melissa has been looking at the draft checklist from the new VLCT auditor handbook. Areas to look into as we do FY18:
§ Tax assessment and collection records
§ Cemetery commission and library trustees. (Are they “town officers who receive or disburse funds”?)
5. Next tasks:
· Nita - Talk to Grant’s store about transfer station tickets
o Continue work with trustees of town funds
o Prepare to speak at town meeting. (Mention SB, Treasurer, and auditors on 3-year cycle)
o Check on auditor hours to date, both paid and volunteer
· Sarah – Attend select board meetings.
o Contact the Sheriff’s office for information about tickets and fines.
· Melissa – Continue work on external audit information
o Continue to review auditor handbook.
6. Future Meetings:
Meeting adjourned: 9:07 PM
Minutes submitted by Juanita Burch-Clay