One Stone STEM + Maker Coach
Full-time, year-round position
What is One Stone?
One Stone is a student-led and directed Idaho nonprofit with a mission to make students better leaders and the world a better place. We are founded on the belief that students can make a real difference when empowered to follow their passions. One Stone started with a handful of high school students in 2008 and has now grown to more than 200 student team members from 17 different high schools across the Treasure Valley.
One Stone is widely recognized as a unique, innovative, student-centered, and highly successful student development organization. Our members actively participate in the governance and direction of the organization by serving on and leading the Board of Directors and Board Committees. Students develop power skills through three innovative platforms (and our recently launched school) that provide deep, project-based learning in connection with innovative initiatives, social entrepreneurship, and experiential service.
One Stone built upon the success of our community based programs in September 2016 by launching a school built on our values: experiential service, community, ownership, empathy, equality of voice, innovation, and creativity. Our model is rooted in design thinking, which we teach and use in learning. At One Stone’s school students focus on four areas of development:
Knowledge: How might we understand the world?
Creativity: How might we approach challenges?
Skills: How might we develop tools for life?
Mindset: How might we practice with intention?
Intertwined through each of these is the fundamental value in Voice: How might we express who we are with confidence?
One Stone school’s is:
- Tuition free, independent, diverse and inclusive
- Real-world and relevant
- Rooted in empathy
- Rigorous, with competency-based assessment
- Purpose-driven and passion-based
- Connected to community
- Focused on learning and development of power skills like critical thinking, collaboration, communication, adaptability, grit, creativity, innovation, and empathy.
One Stone’s unique learning experience prepares students to flourish on any path they choose.
Consistent with this learning paradigm, One Stone uses a coaching model rather than a traditional teaching model in learning. Staff and coaches are highly skilled people from a variety of backgrounds who embrace the vision, mission, strategy, and approach of One Stone and excel at working collaboratively with high school-age learners.
Coaches must be comfortable in a dynamic, collaborative, student-centered environment where innovation is essential. Coaches are empathetic, passionate, employ a growth mindset, embrace ambiguity, and are highly qualified professionals from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines.
The ideal STEM + Maker Coach candidate will have the ability to coach students with:
- Physics - strong background with Newtonian mechanics
- Engineering - CAD, material science
- The development of strong maker skills - including use of Foundry tools (3D printer, laser cutter, woodworking tools, welding equipment, etc.)
- Math up to Pre-calc, using some or all of the following techniques:
- Use of open-ended experiments
- Non-formal learning strategies
- Multi-week projects
- Quick “design challenges” (30 minutes to solve a problem using limited materials)
The ideal STEM + Maker Coach will have proficiency and/or experience with the following tools and software:
- Maker tools including 3D printer, laser cutter, bandsaw, chopsaw, welding equipment, etc.
- Ability to maintain tools (or preferably, comfort to oversee students maintain tools)
- CAD skills - design using SketchUp Pro or similar
- Experience with robotics, Arduino or similar (beyond LEGO robotics)
- Experience with Raspberry Pis
- Comfort helping students prototype and build solutions
- Comfort letting students fail and the ability to guide them to fail forward
- Excitement to learn new tools, techniques and approaches
- Support the student-led mission of One Stone.
- Coach students through the learning progress, encourage peer-to-peer learning, and assist with difficult concepts.
- Foster meaningful, positive relationships with students. Work individually with students to personalize their individual and development goals, mentoring them in discovering their passions.
- Collaborate with coaches and learners to create and implement a rigorous real-world learning environment.
- Design project-based, real-world, deep learning projects that encourage collaboration using the design thinking process.
- Curate personalized learning activities for each learner’s abilities, needs, passions, and learning style.
- Measure and report learning outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis.
- Identify and collaborate with community partners to create an enriched, real-world learning environment out in the community.
- Offer learning opportunities that maximize the Foundry space and encourage learners to become makers.
Successful One Stone Coaches:
- Have a sense of humor, empathy for others, and grit
- Believe that creativity and critical thinking are linked, and important skills for success
- Are flexible thinkers and doers and drive for impact
- Possess a passion for working with and engaging high school learners
- Have strong interpersonal relationship and communication skills
- Are optimistic
- Possess strong leadership skills
- Adapt to change and encourage innovation
- Fail forward
- Demonstrate an entrepreneurial work ethic
- Deploy creativity and flexibility to independently develop “curriculum” within a fluid, student-centered, project-based environment
- Embody curiosity, passion, honesty, innovation, communication, selflessness, and courage
Professional, Entrepreneur, Technologist, Engineer, Roboticist, Architect, Educator, Designer, Current Graduate or PhD Student, or some combination of these.
- Background in design or a working understanding of the Design Thinking process
- Proficiency with at least a couple of the following:
- Digital fabrication and use of fabrication tools (Laser Cutter, 3d Printer)
- 2d and 3d Modeling (Rhino, Solidworks, Fusion 360)
- Robotics (Arduino)
- Sensors and Actuators
- Adobe Creative Suite
- 3d Studio Max or Maya
- Unity 3D
- Digital Photography
- Filmmaking and Production
Compensation and Benefits:
Full-time, year-round salaried position with paid health and dental insurance benefits, paid sick time, and a flexible school-related schedule. Salary commensurate with professional experience.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references by e-mail to email@example.com.
While we welcome out-of-town applicants, we are unable to reimburse the cost of travel associated with the interview process or relocation.
Offers of employment are contingent upon satisfaction of certain pre-employment verifications and clearances including, but not limited to, undergraduate degree verification, DOJ fingerprint clearance, verification of eligibility to work in the United States, and TB clearance.
One Stone is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions based on merit. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, pregnancy, and breastfeeding), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, and physical or mental disability, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
More about the One Stone School:
One Stone focuses on student learning (rather than traditional ‘education’), including:
- Multidisciplinary, collaborative, project-based learning
- Blended learning using technology to supplement, improve and transform the learning process
- Rigorous academics with competency and portfolio-based assessment
- Design thinking for working on real-world problems and issues that matter to students
- Emphasis on science, technology, engineering and math with all students learning to code
- Coaches (staff, thinkers, and industry experts) to mentor and advise students
- Metrics and data analysis to inform refinements and improvements
One Stone incorporates a culture of innovation, creativity, collaboration, and entrepreneurship, including:
- Diversity and inclusion to ensure students are exposed to a richness of viewpoints, experiences, and cultures
- Tuition-free to ensure openness with a requirement to work for One Stone ventures to ensure skin in the game
- Admission based on the student’s alignment with the mission and commitment to the learning approach, values, and responsibilities
- Open, configurable, adaptable spaces and environments rather than classrooms
- Schedules and environments conducive to student learning
- Entrepreneurial and creative-learning focus with opportunities to fail forward
One Stone is student-centered, including:
- Student-directed learning with students exercising ownership and control of, and accountability for, their own learning student voice
- Feedback-rich environments provided by coaches, peers, experts, and mentors
- Student developed learning plans with self-evaluation and reflection
- Power skills development to ensure students are employable, are agile in an increasingly complex world, and have opportunities to make their own path
One Stone provides expansive opportunities, including:
- Current One Stone programs (Project Good, Two Birds, and Solution Lab) and other new ventures
- Internships, externships, mentorships and other opportunities to gain insight into and experience in particular fields, jobs, and careers
- Sports, visual and performing arts, and other extracurricular activities