Release 57: August 30, 2018
This is a summary of issues that players may encounter. Shroud of the Avatar developers are aware of these issues; players do not need to report issues already on this list. Returning players should know issues that are new as of this release are marked as [New] and highlighted.
Graphical and Visual Effects (VFX)
- The new Ignite Ranged Weapon and Poison Ranged Weapon skills do not yet show visual effects, this should be fixed in a patch soon.
- In many scenes, shadow quality will degrade and become blurry over time. (Fixed in patch 1)
- Snow (and some rain) can still be observed falling into buildings, particularly on lower graphics settings.
- LOD (level of detail) objects are still being implemented, so players may occasionally experience objects visually “popping” in and out of existence, or between visual states.
- Some armor and clothing items from different sets will sort through one another.
- Cloth simulation causing certain wearables to look strange.
- Many NPCs are currently using placeholder models.
- Steam: Players may be unable to restart the game client from Steam if any window or browser was opened from within the game client (such as using the in-game features to submit a bug on our forums). Steam will recognize the open browsers/windows as the client still running. Closing these windows or restarting Steam will work around this issue.
- Launcher sometimes cannot apply update patch. (This issue can sometimes be troubleshooted by having the game client closed while patching. Also, make sure you have enough disk space to download and apply the patch.)
- The following firewall ports must be open for the Launcher and Game Client to run properly.
- TCP Port 5074
- UDP Port 55721
- UDP Port 6881
- Game Service:
- UDP 5054
- UDP 5055
- UDP 5056
- UDP 5057
- UDP 5058
- UDP 5059
- Elysian Illumination no longer damages undead, and has a broken range for applying heals.
- Pets cannot follow players onto elevators.
- Some areas in Novia Overworld are using temporary, blocky collision.
- While Gems can be socketed into ranged weapons (like bows), they do not yet unlock additional enchanting options for ranged weapons.
- Obsidian weapons may not be inflicting bonus damage on Obsidian Golems correctly.
Housing, Decorations, and Player-Owned Towns
- Some decorations placed in basements may shift through walls and end up in inaccessible locations. Please be cautious while placing decorations in basements. If you believe an item has been lost while placed, please contact email@example.com
- Island-Based Water Keep/Water Castle lots placed on islands cannot, yet, be transferred to land-based lots.
- Water Lot Markers for POTs can be placed on shorelines but not docks.
Chat, Dialogue, and NPCs
- [New] Players attempting the “Free Sir Patrick” task but failed may be blocked from re-entering the scene to free him. Players with this issue should submit a bug in the forums in order to be fixed in an individual basis.
- Some quests may have journal entries, sparkling hands, or quest/compass markers that do not go away on completion of their associated tasks.
- Some players pursuing quests may have issues obtaining objects related to those quests.
- The Ravensmoor/Agents of the Oracle quest is currently not working and will not be fixed until a Hidden Vale polish pass is scheduled.
User Interface, Menus, and Controllers
- UI settings are not tied to an avatar. Players with multiple characters on one account will see the previous avatar’s UI settings persist when switching between characters.
- It’s possible for party/companion nameplates to be visually obscured when players combine enough buffs to wrap icons onto three rows.
- If an item’s name is in Runic, its flag as “Private Property” will also appear in Runic.
- Summoning creatures and pets may cause your focus to display incorrectly to party members.
- USB Game controller devices (joysticks, steering wheels, gamepads, etc.) can cause unexpected input signals.
- There are numerous issues that exist with Cloth Simulation related to Unity 2018, including observed drops in performance. Cloth simulation can be disabled from within the video settings to improve this experience.
- Some virus programs with outdated libraries may attempt to quarantine essential game files, mistakenly identifying them as threats. This can have significant effects, including the client not starting at all. We recommend keeping antivirus programs updated frequently as they address problems. Workarounds include reinstalling and launching the client with the aggressive antivirus software disabled, or whitelisting the game directory in the antivirus list of exceptions.
- Low client performance and bad framerates can influence resurrection timers, making them last longer than their intended duration.
- The client may crash while exiting the game while the avatar is Dead/Ghosted.
- Players may be unable to interact with objects via double-click if their framerate is low. A workaround is to use the “E” interaction key.
- Memory leaks can occur when changing scenes. To the Overworld especially. (Restarting the client may resolve this issue.)
- Crashing has been tied to issues with DX11 for some, but not all, players.
- There may be framerate issues and slowdown in game, as optimizations are ongoing.
- Moving between the QA and Live servers can cause Steam achievements to be lost and/or regained.
- Some instruments may not be playing correct notes, or have notes missing
- Sound FX used in game are not final and in many cases may be placeholders.
- If the patch process is terminated while updating (e.g. computer/patcher crashes) user may need to uninstall and reinstall to finish the patching.
- When using Windows 10 to play Shroud of the Avatar, some users are experiencing intermittent sound hitching and terrain glitches. A potential workaround that sometimes helps when experiencing these issues is to run the game in Windows 8 compatibility mode. Instructions for running SotA in Windows 8 compatibility mode are below.
- Use Windows Explorer to navigate to your installation directory and find the "Shroud of the Avatar.exe" file.
- If you are playing through the launcher, the default location is either C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe or C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe.
- If you are playing through Steam, the default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe.
- Right-click your "Shroud of the Avatar.exe" file and select the “Properties” option.
- In the “Properties” window, select the Compatibility tab.
- In the Compatibility tab, check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select “Windows 8” from the dropdown menu.
- Click “OK” at the bottom of the “Properties” window.
- When you next run the game, it will be running in compatibility mode.
- Certain types of trees in various scenes may have rendering problems on their branches, lending them a glowing green appearance.
- Linux clients are currently running on an older version of Unity to avoid discovered performance issues.
- The in-game map (M) does not currently work for Linux client.
- Screen may turn black/white if clients are launched with Anti-Aliasing turned on.
- Officially, we only support Ubuntu. However, it should run on other distributions (but might require some work).
- The Linux installer and client are not read/write enabled by default. You must use Control+click on them to start them.
- NVIDIA users: nouveau works, but is slower than the official drivers and might crash; full-screen and resolution switching might be buggy with nouveau. (Use of latest official drivers recommended)
- AMD/ATI users: radeondrmfb works, but is slow and might show graphical artifacts, use the latest and official ATI/AMD drivers instead (e.g. AMDGPU PRO, however do not use experimental drivers).
- Switching graphics mode, resolution and full-screen might be buggy on Radeon cards. (Switching back from full screen can cause graphical anomalies. Try this workaround: Switch out of x11 and back).
- Screen tearing may occur in performance intensive scenes and/or during low frame rates.
- We only support two-button mice currently. One-button mouse support will be coming in a later release along with remappable keys.
- Mac client isn't developer signed, so if you have the default gatekeeper settings set, you won't be able to directly run the app. If you control-click when you click on the file, it should allow you to open. Once you do that, you will be able to run the app without issue.
- The version of the Unity game engine used starting with R8 seems to suffer from a deadlock in the logging-module, potentially leading to a complete freeze of the game, only displaying the rotating beach ball. We have been in contact with the Unity developers to find a solution as of R11. Unfortunately, this is still present in some configurations, although work to fix this went into R14+. Please report any freezes you encounter. Unity is still looking into this as of R39. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Pledge Rewards and Add-On item Functionality/In-Game Status
Some items have working models and may be equipped or placed as decorations, but have not yet had their full functionality finished and implemented.
- Customized Avatar Head: reward changed to “Lord Forged Item.” Please see your account page to fill out form for redemption.
- Dark Elven Kinsman Buckler: Glows regardless of whether you have purchased Underworld or not (since Underworld has not shipped yet)
Website and Account Page
- Microsoft Edge users may have issues submitting web forms. Please use another browser to submit forms.