Release 40: March 30, 2017
This is a summary of issues that players may encounter. Shroud of the Avatar developers are aware of these issues; players do not need to report issues already on this list. Returning players should know issues that are new as of this release are marked as [New] and highlighted.
Graphical and Visual Effects (VFX)
- [New] Unity 5.5 introduced a visual issue with grass textures in scenes appearing as opaque rectangle artifacts. This has been fixed for most scenes, but individual reports are still desired for cases where this still occurs.
- [New] Unity 5.5 exposed some collision errors that were not present in previous versions. These may result in unpredictable collision behavior or unintended stuck locations. Players should let us know where they encounter problem spots.
- [New] Large NPCs can occasionally become invisible if camera is zoomed in.
- [New] Some player equipment may still be visible while dead.
- Rain and snow can be observed falling inside some buildings, especially on low graphics or in very complex scenes.
- Text awaiting localization may have question marks surrounding it.
- If your video drivers are out of date, characters may appear as if they are covered in triangles.
- LOD (level of detail) objects are still being implemented, so players may occasionally experience objects visually “popping” in and out of existence, or between visual states.
- Some armor and clothing items from different sets will sort through one another.
- Many NPCs are currently using placeholder models.
- Launcher sometimes cannot apply update patch. (This issue can sometimes be troubleshooted by having the game client closed while patching. Also, make sure you have enough disk space to download and apply the patch.)
- The following firewall ports must be open for the Launcher and Game Client to run properly.
- TCP Port 5074
- UDP Port 55721
- UDP Port 6881
- Game Service:
- UDP 5054
- UDP 5055
- UDP 5056
- UDP 5057
- UDP 5058
- UDP 5059
- [New] Resurrection spells do not properly work between PvP and Non-PvP flagged players.
- [New] Excessively-stacked runes lost when creating Combos are not properly being reshuffled into the deck.
- [New] Due to limitations on merchants with very large numbers of items for sale, new pavers recipes are temporarily for sale at decorations merchants instead of smelting/blacksmith supplies merchants.
- [New] Unable to enter scenes from Overworld using the ENTER key
- [New] Some boss mobs are not delivering correct loot (e.g. Yellow Mushroom & Ghost Corpion bosses)
- [New] Players are unable to switch to Alternative deck if Coconut “mounts” are equipped.
- Combat Cover does not currently apply as expected for magic spells.
- Some scene instances may be bugged in which it is easy for players to fall through the ground. An existing workaround is to reload the scene.
- It's possible to get stuck in buildings when colliding with moving doors.
- Many areas in Novia are using temporary, blocky collision.
- While Gems can be socketed into ranged weapons (like bows), they do not yet unlock additional enchanting options for ranged weapons.
- Obsidian weapons may not be inflicting bonus damage on Obsidian Golems correctly.
- Wands and staves do not currently scale well compared to bow and melee weapons. Their functionality will be rebalanced in future releases.
- A few obsolete versions of food items (like Turnips) can still be obtained but cannot be consumed or used as decorations.
- Not all skills are balanced, implemented, or working as intended yet. Skills missing an icon on the skill tree are not finished and should not be used, though you may need to purchase them to unlock other skills in the same tree.
- Weight and gold values for objects throughout the game are still being adjusted and are not finalized.
Housing, Decorations, and Player-Owned Towns
- [New] Using the Property Manager to transfer Default row homes between scenes will inherit the shape of the default row home present on that lot. If it’s different from the one that was stored, players risk items between caught in walls, floating, or other visual anomalies.
- Collision boxes break for Corner Tower Castle Wall decos when rotated.
- Island-Based Water Keep/Water Castle lots placed on islands cannot, yet, be transferred to land-based lots.
- POTs using underground biomes do not yet have dynamic population identifiers in the overworld map.
- Water Lot Markers for POTs can be placed on shorelines but not docks.
Chat, Dialogue, and NPCs
- [New] Cabalists are still appearing in sieges using their placeholders (liches).
- [New] The quests for learning free attack, utility bar, and deck building are only placeholders at this time, though functional. They are available via the trainer automaton in Soltown.
- [New] There may be some issues with how some quests and tasks interact with the new onscreen Task List.
- [New] Players can remove tasks from their current task list at any time by visiting a town crier. (Note that the option only appears after the first visit.)
- Single-Player Offline: The first companion, Fiona FitzOwen, is able to be recruited and will fight alongside the player. Her model is currently a placeholder and her dialogue is still incomplete at this time; when talked to, she will comment on NPCs in the bar she is recruited within, but will not "chime in" with other NPCs at this time.
- Neutral NPC’s may not aggro properly when attacked.
- The Heart of Sorrows item found in Malice and the Sceptre of Dread found at the end ot the Path of Courage quest line currently has no associated functionality.
- As an explicit note, the state of the main plot progression as of R39 is as follows:
- Path of Love: The Path of Love should be able to be taken from opening to completion. There remain minor polish issues which will be addressed going forward.
- Path of Courage: The Path of Courage should be able to be taken from opening to completion. Though it is able to be completed, there are significant issues involving polish and not nearly enough side quests to assure proper progression which will be addressed in future releases.
- Path of Truth: able to progress to Xenos. Players cannot currently enter the Artifice dungeon at this time.
- Necropolis: You can repeatedly do the Necropolis scene, with different spirit guides each time. Will not be fixed until the Path of Love is considered polished and complete to aid in testing.
- The Ravensmoor/Agents of the Oracle quest is currently not working and will not be fixed until a Hidden Vale polish pass is scheduled.
- Although you can sometimes see the aftermath of a riot in the Clink, it appears at random and does not have anything to do with your actions or prior visits. Myron in the Clink no longer is in a cage, but the pit that was below the cage, to help solve issues with completing his quest. The Clink has several issues that will not be fixed until a Hidden Vale polish pass is scheduled.
User Interface, Menus, and Controllers
- Tools visually disappear from inventory if equipped or replaced while already equipped in a scene. They will reappear upon scene change/reload.
- Summoning creatures and pets may cause your focus to display incorrectly to party members.
- USB Game controller devices (joysticks, steering wheels, gamepads, etc.) can cause unexpected input signals.
- Players may be unable to interact with objects via double-click if their framerate is poor. A workaround is to use the “E” interaction key.
- Memory leaks can occur when changing scenes. To the Overworld especially.
- Crashing has been tied to issues with DX11 for some, but not all, players.
- There may be framerate issues and slowdown in game, as optimizations are ongoing.
- The game may “hang” for several seconds after loading into select scenes.
- Moving between the QA and Live servers can cause achievements to be lost and/or regained.
- [New] Players are unable to sync up with other players to play external sheet music.
- A number of Audio SFX may be unlinked from volume sliders or missing. These need to be addressed case-by-case, so reports are still welcome.
- Some instruments may not be playing correct notes, or have notes missing
- Sound FX used in game are not final and in many cases may be placeholders.
- If the patch process is terminated while updating (e.g. computer/patcher crashes) user may need to uninstall and reinstall to finish the patching.
- It may be possible to run the patcher and client at the same time. We do not recommend this.
- [New] The SotaMap feature (M) is not yet supported for Linux clients.
- [New] Video settings for Brightness and Saturation are currently nonfunctional.
- The /bug command does not copy the bug report template to clipboard in Ubuntu.
- Officially, we only support Ubuntu. However, it should run on other distributions (but might require some work).
- The Linux installer and client are not read/write enabled by default. You must use Control+click on them to start them.
- NVIDIA users: nouveau works, but is slower than the official drivers and might crash; full-screen and resolution switching might be buggy with nouveau. (Use of latest official drivers recommended)
- AMD/ATI users: radeondrmfb works, but is slow and might show graphical artifacts, use the latest and official ATI/AMD drivers instead (e.g. AMDGPU PRO, however do not use experimental drivers).
- Switching graphics mode, resolution and full-screen might be buggy on Radeon cards. (Switching back from full screen can cause graphical anomalies. Try this workaround: Switch out of x11 and back).
- Screen tearing may occur in performance intensive scenes and/or during low frame rates.
- We only support two-button mice currently. One-button mouse support will be coming in a later release along with remappable keys.
- Mac client isn't developer signed, so if you have the default gate-keeper settings set, you won't be able to directly run the app. If you control-click when you click on the file, it should allow you to open. Once you do that, you will be able to run the app without issue.
- The version of the Unity game engine used starting with R8 seems to suffer from a deadlock in the logging-module, potentially leading to a complete freeze of the game, only displaying the rotating beachball. We have been in contact with the Unity developers to find a solution as of R11. Unfortunately, this is still present in some configurations, although work to fix this went into R14+. Please report any freezes you encounter. Unity is still looking into this as of R39. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Pledge Rewards and Add-On item Functionality/In-Game Status
Some items have working models and may be equipped or placed as decorations, but have not yet had their full functionality finished and implemented.
- Birthday Cake: Not yet generating random items.
- Fyndoro's Tablet of Finding: Unable to be used to find another player.
- Puzzle Box: No weekly puzzles or rewards yet.
- German Beer Recipe: Alcohol system not in game yet
- Customized Avatar Head: work not started
- Name on Tombstone and in Domesday Book: No tech to support nor data entry for players to select what name to display
- Name in Credits: No Credits page
- Family Crest: no tech to support
- Additional Character Slots: no tech to support