07913 800 841 • firstname.lastname@example.org
An experienced Data Warehouse Architect/SQL Developer with a decade of experience in Business Intelligence, across a variety of business sectors. This experience has been invaluable in honing an acute ability to adapt to any business environment easily and deliver value swiftly. Currently seeking an exciting new Data Warehousing or SQL Developer opportunity.
- SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2014
- Oracle 10g, 11g
- Data Warehouse Modelling using Kimball Methodology
- ETL and data integration using both SSIS and Toad Datapoint
- Dashboard and report development in Qlikview, Tableau & SSRS
- SSAS OLAP Cube Design and Development
- Data Quality Management
- OLTP Data Modelling to 3NF
- Business Process Mapping and requirements gathering
- Working within Agile Project Environment
- Prince2 Foundation Certified
Data Modeler & BI Developer, Claire’s Accessories (Retail), Birmingham
(Jun 2017 - Present)
- Working closely with users groups across the organisation to identify the key business processes that need to be modelled in the warehouse.
- Capturing all the key measures and dimensions for each business process being modelled.
- Identify and analyse source data identifying data quality issues, design data cleansing and error handling processes.
- Create logical and physical database model designs to provide reference for warehouse development work.
- Identifying business critical gaps and discrepancies and proposing remediation actions.
- Work with the DBA to create optimal physical data models optimised for BI
- Specifying system data extracts and develop load processes into staging database.
- Resolving the of design queries from developers regarding warehouse and OLAP models.
Senior Data Architect, Police Mutual (Financial Services), Lichfield
(Nov 2016 – Jun 2017)
Providing data warehousing consultancy and data architecture services. Design and overseeing the implementation of an ISA data mart. Managing to turn around a failing project by developing relationships with key stakeholders and extracting business requirements from the business in order to ensure the data mart was “fit for purpose”.
- Working within an Inmon style data warehousing environment to integrate data source from new system (Exaxe Admin Plus).
- Designing conceptual, logical & physical to deliver management information pertaining to Individual Savings Accounts held within a new system.
- Creating SQL prototype models to assist with implementation by the development team.
- Authoring Technical Designs and Functional Specification Documentation.
- Providing consultancy on data governance policies and procedures.
SQL BI Developer (Technical Lead), RAC, Walsall
(Aug 2016 – Oct 2016)
Responsible for project planning for migration from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2016. Successfully embedding coding standards, Kimball methodology and TFS usage across the development team.
- Working closely with Project Manager to establish migration plan across SQL Server platforms.
- Devising and embedding SQL Server BI Stack development standards.
- Standardising the approach to data warehouse implementation.
- Troubleshooting and optimising poorly performing ETL processes and SQL scripts.
- Identifying key training needs within the BI team and making appropriate recommendations.
Lead BI Developer/BI Manager, Midland Heart, Birmingham
(Nov 2015 – Aug 2016)
Embedded an Agile data warehouse development lifecycle, within a green field project. Designed and implemented code platforms from Development through to UAT and Production. Created business processes for code promotion between environments. Implemented Kimball Data Warehouse to deliver enterprise level KPIs, HR and IT data marts. Developing KPI dashboards and scorecards with SSRS.
- Design and development of Data Warehouse architecture, including but not limited to ETL pattern.
- Creation of ETL mapping documentation to capture data lineage from source through to star schema.
- Design and creation of SSIS packages to pull data from source and push to target data models.
- Integrating data from various database technologies, including SQL Server, Oracle & Excel.
- Creating cubes within SSAS for self-service and data analysis.
- Working closely with stakeholders and senior managers to gather requirements for warehouse.
- Establishing an Agile Project environment e.g. Kanban, Sprints, Scrum meetings etc
Data Architect/SQL Developer, PwC, Birmingham
(May 2014 – Nov 2015)
Created a data warehouse that provided a complete overview of both past and future staff timesheet data and integrated this with financial data to generate actual and forecast revenue reporting. This allowed the business to perform full end-to-end analysis of their Human Resource pool for the first time in the Firm’s history. This has also resulted in a significantly more efficient Business Intelligence solution, saving many hours of staff time, that were previously wasted pulling together reports from various systems, often with varying degrees of accuracy and consistency.
- Modelled and implemented the data warehouse solution utilising the Kimball methodology, of fact tables and conformed dimensions (star schema).
- Surfacing data warehouse data to reporting tools such as Qlikview, Microstrategy and SSRS.
- Integrating data from various sources, including but not limited to, SQL Server, Oracle, SAP HANA, GFS and Excel; using SSIS.
- Working closely with stakeholders and Relationship Managers to gather requirements for warehouse and datamart implementation.
- Working within and Agile development environment.
Lead SQL Developer, British Gymnastics, Newport
(Mar 2012 – May 2014)
Created a Kimball data warehouse and suite of dashboards using Oracle and Qlikview. The Business Intelligence solution offered a single overview of the business, available for the Senior Leadership team right down to Operational Team Managers. This allowed business decisions to be made much more easily and with a lot more confidence than ever before, as the figures were consistent, accurate and timely.
- Created Strategic reporting down to operational reporting using Qlikview & MS Excel, to assist in decision making at all levels of the organisation.
- Designed and developed the full end to end Business Intelligence process, including ETL and data warehousing model.
- Managed the data quality & development of CRM database for the organisation.
- Delivered business process mapping and streamlining of existing processes, resulting efficiency and cost savings.
- Conducted requirements gathering for Management Information reporting..
Data Quality Manager, NHS, Birmingham
(Oct 2009 – Mar 2012)
Responsible for moving the West Midlands Cancer Registry’s data quality ranking from 6th to 2nd in the national league tables, within 18 months. This was accomplished through a series of data quality enhancements, such as utilising electronic feeds to supplement the manually keyed data, using automated routines to validate data entry and performing data audits through the creation of data quality test scripts. The significant improvement of data quality resulted in my appointment to oversee data quality KPI’s for the UK Association of Cancer Registries.
- Used SQL to query the Live system (Oracle) and Data Warehouse (T-SQL), to analyse data and discover quality issues.
- Delivered data quality dashboard and Reporting & Management Information solutions using Tableau and Excel.
- Applied business analysis techniques to modernise and refine business processes for data capture and to improve data quality.
- Managed the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the UK’s Association of Cancer Registries.
- Created and conducted data quality tests and system validations.
University of Wolverhampton
(Oct 2002 – Oct 2006)
- BSc Hons - Computer Studies (2:1)
- HND Computing
Available upon request.