FAQ-Going to the Library from Study Hall
Keefe Library, Boston Latin School
I want to go to the library during study hall. What do I need to do?
- Go to link in SIS or from the Keefe Library web page click on “Study Hall Sign Up.” You need to set up an account the first time.
- 7th Grade Group Work Support - The library will coordinate with teachers to have a group sign-up during Science Fair and Capstone project time.
- Students should report directly to the library at the beginning of the period. Attendance is taken and shared with study hall teachers electronically.
- If a student has a question or concern about their study hall sign up or account, they should come to see a librarian before school.
- 5-minute print pass is allowed any time during the school day.
How often may I go to the library from a study hall?
We want to give as many students as possible access to the library. Here are the guidelines for sign-up:
- These students are permitted to sign up for 8 library study halls per month, when space is available.
- 7th Grade Group Work Support - In addition, there will be a limited number of sign-ups for 7th graders during group project assignments.
- Grades 9-12 can sign up as needed and when space is available.
- Students may only come to the library for one study hall per day.
When I arrive at the library what should I do?
- Check in at the praefect station to scan your I.D.
- You may then check out a laptop at circulation desk, use a desktop in the computer area or sign up to use a group study room.
When can I print homework?
- The Keefe Library opens at 7:25 a.m. for students to print. This is a very busy time, so we strongly recommend printing at home when possible.
- The 5-minute print pass may be signed by any teacher or administrator and allows students to print. If typing up or extensive editing of an assignment is needed, students should sign up to come during a study hall to the library, not use a 5-minute pass.
What is the I.D. scanning system?
- All students spending their study hall period in the library need to present their ID cards to be scanned.
- Each period attendance is taken and shared with study hall teachers electronically. Study hall teachers will mark the students AE in SIS from this shared list.
- Students who don’t scan may receive a cut. If a student is concerned about an attendance issue, they may come talk to a librarian.
If I need to leave during study hall what do I do?
If you need to leave and plan to return, obtain a pass from a librarian and sign out at the clipboard at the main desk.
Are students allowed to go to the library during R5 or their lunch time?
Students are not allowed to drop in during their lunch period unless they have a pass from a teacher or administrator.
How can I sign up to use a group study room during study hall?
Grades 8 -12 may sign up for study rooms in a binder at the main circulation desk. You may sign up in advance, but not more than 2 reservations are permitted at a time for students. Groups who do not show up within the first 10 minutes of a period give up their reservation. After school if you do not arrive by 2:30 p.m. another group may take the room. 7th graders must speak with a librarian to use a room.
Can I use my phone in the library?
Phones are only allowed in the library after school. If you have an academic reason to use your phone during study hall in the library, please talk to a librarian. As in other areas of the building, phones will be confiscated if they are being used without permission from a faculty member.
Please visit our website for more information:
August 23, 2017