FAQ-Going to the Library from Study Hall
Keefe Library, Boston Latin School
I want to go to the library during study hall. What do I need to do?
- 60 spots per period are available starting at 7:00 p.m. on Pick-a-Time Online Sign Up. Go to link in SIS or from the Keefe Library web page click on “Study Hall Sign Up.” You need to set up an account the first time.
- 7th Grade Group Work Support - The library will coordinate with teachers to have a group sign-up during Science Fair and Capstone project time. Students who sign up as a group do NOT need to sign up in Pick-a-Time and must scan their ID for attendance purposes.
- Students should report directly to the library at the beginning of the period. Attendance is taken and shared with study hall teachers electronically.
- Teacher passes are allowed only in the case of an emergency.
- 5-minute print pass is allowed any time during the school day.
How often may I go to the library from a study hall?
We want to give as many students as possible access to the library. Here are the guidelines for sign-up:
- Students are permitted to sign up 8 times per month on Pick-a-Time
- 7th Grade Group Work Support - In addition, there will be a limited number of sign-ups for 7th graders during group project assignments in a binder at the desk.
- Grade 9-12 students may sign up an unlimited number of times.
- Students may only come to the library for one study hall per day.
When I arrive at the library what should I do?
- Check in at the praefect station to scan your I.D.
- You may then check out a laptop at circulation desk, use a desktop in the computer area or sign up to use a group study room.
When can I print homework?
- The Keefe Library opens at 7:30 a.m. for students to print. This is a very busy time, so we strongly recommend printing at home when possible.
- The 5-minute print pass may be signed by any teacher or administrator and allows students to print. If typing up or extensive editing of an assignment is needed, students should sign up through Pick-a-Time to the library, not a 5-minute pass.
What is the I.D. scanning system?
- All students spending their study hall period in the library need to present their ID cards to be scanned.
- Each period, staff will generate a master list of study hall students in the library. and share this list with study hall teachers. Study hall teachers will mark the students AE in SIS from this shared list. Students who don’t scan may receive a cut.
If I need to leave during study hall what do I do?
If you need to leave and plan to return, obtain a pass from a librarian and sign out at the clipboard at the main desk.
Are students allowed to go to the library during R5 or their lunch time?
Students are not allowed to drop in during their lunch period unless they have a pass from a teacher or administrator.
How can I sign up to use a group study room during study hall?
Grades 8 -12 may sign up for study rooms in a binder at the main circulation desk. You may sign up in advance, but not more than 2 reservations are permitted at a time for students. Groups who do not show up within the first 10 minutes of a period give up their reservation. After school if you do not arrive by 2:30 p.m. another group may take the room.
Can I use my phone in the library?
Phones are only allowed in the library after school. If you have an academic reason to use your phone during study hall in the library, please talk to a librarian. As in other areas of the building, phones will be confiscated if they are being used without permission from a faculty member.
Please visit our website for more information:
September 6, 2016