Ultimate Cosplay Championship
Ultimate Cosplay Championship is a combination of a group cosplay contest and a talent competition with an emphasis on teamwork and creativity. The group must first pass through an audition process before securing a slot in the finals to be held at Cosplay Mania 2017 on September 30-October 1, 2017.
Contest registration is only available online. The following information must be submitted through a form below:
- The team leader's real name;
- The team's Team Name;
- The team leader's working contact details (mobile phone AND email);
- The number of members in the team (minimum of 3 and maximum of 11 including assistants and technical director);
- The real names of the team members;
- The series that the team is cosplaying as (can be more than 1);
- A brief description of the background of the team and its members;
The information above must be truthful; falsifying any of the information will result in instant disqualification and the team members will not be allowed to join the succeeding year's competition as an additional penalty. All registration information will be kept in the strictest of confidence and other competitors will not be informed whether a particular competitor has entered the contest or not.
From all the entries submitted online, only a maximum of 10 teams will be allowed to join the audition per leg. Selection of the approved audition participants will be based on how well they managed to complete the forms and how interesting and entertaining their concept was.
Groups approved for audition will then be contacted via e-mail and will be required to submit the following additional items:
- A BGM of no less than two (2) minutes and no more than five (5) minutes that will be used for their stage performance;
- Background visuals for their skit that is either:
- A single, high-resolution static background (minimum 1024 x 768 pixels, file type JPEG or PNG) that will be shown during their stage performance or;
- A video for the background (4:3 aspect ratio either 800x600, 1024x768 or 720x480 pixels) with a length of no less than two (2) minutes and no more than (5) minutes in DVD Format.
Groups can only audition on the following dates and venues:
1) April 29, 2017 SM BF Parañaque
2) May 13, 2017 SM Seaside
3) May 27, 2017 SM Cabanatuan
4) June 10, 2017 SM General Santos
5) June 24, 2017 SM San Jose Del Monte
6) July 8, 2017 SM Bacolod
7) July 22, 2017 SM San Pablo
8) July 30, 2017 SM Megatrade Halls (Anime and Cosplay Expo 2017)
9) August 5, 2017 SM Megacenter Cabanatuan
10) August 19, 2017 SM Naga
11) September 2, 2017 SM City Molino
12) September 16, 2017 SM Baguio
The Team Leader will be required to confirm their attendance on the day of the audition before 12:00 NN. They will be provided a contestant number and tag upon confirmation. At this time, they will be required to submit all their materials for testing.
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR AND ASSISTANTS
The Technical Director of the team will be the only one allowed in the technical booth during the run of the skit. He will be allowed to oversee and provide cues for the technical materials, but will not be allowed to operate any of the equipment.
Assistants include the team's stage hands, stage ninjas (or shadows) must be included in the roster of the team and are included in the count of the team's members.
Only Assistants are allowed to set-up the stage with stage props before the performance. Assistants are provided a maximum of one (1) minute to set-up the stage with stage props before the performance begins. After the skit, they are also required to clean up all stage props so that the stage can be prepared for the next team of contestants. While setting up or cleaning up, they are required to wear black.
- Fanservice (ie. yaoi, yuri, etc.) is allowed but should be “General Patronage”. Any kind of extreme kind of fanservice (ie. kissing, PDA, etc.) that is deemed inappropriate for minors are strictly prohibited. Keep in mind that the event is a wholesome and a General Patronage event.
- Costumes that are too revealing (ie. exposes private parts) are prohibited. Scantily clad and/or sexy costumes are allowed but not encouraged. The organizing team has the right to disqualify any participant on this ground.
- All kinds of costume props must be handled with utmost care and must not be harmful to his/her fellow contestants, event staff and event attendees. Any kind of sharp and/or bladed objects that will be used as costume props that could cut human flesh are strictly prohibited. Any kind of pyrotechnic equipment/s that will be used as costume props that could render damage to the venue and/or property is strictly prohibited.
- Event organizers and staff will not be held responsible for damage or injury resulting from mishandling and/or negligence of a contestant in his/her use of props/materials throughout the duration of the event.
- Contestants under eighteen (18) years of age as of event date must have their parent/s and/or legal guardian/s sign the waiver/image release form to be provided at the registration table.
- Organizers reserve the right to disqualify any contestant who ignores and/or violates any of the aforementioned guidelines.
- Registration and participation in this contest constitutes that the contestant gives the right and the authority to the organizers/staff, its sponsors and authorized press media to take pictures and/or videos of registered contestants, teams and its members and will be the sole property of the organizers/staff, its sponsors and authorized press media to be used for future publications and/or advertising promotions.
- Organizers and its staff and their relatives up to the 2nd degree of affinity or consanguinity are disqualified from participating in the competition. This includes parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, uncles or aunts, first cousins, nephews or niece and brother or sister.
The audition process will be to determine if the group has shown enough of a performance to be accepted in the Ultimate Cosplay Championship finals at Cosplay Mania 2017. There are some criteria that will influence their decision to let them through or not:
- Stage Performance & Teamwork: This includes the quality of the performance including sound effects, blocking and story line. This also includes how well the group acted as a team and how they synchronized the performance to include special effects such as slow motion, the illusion of flight, etc.
- Creativity & Talent Elements: How creative the performance was in integrating the talent of the group which could includes choreography, magic effects, combining group members to create larger costumes, etc.
- Costume Quality: How well the costumes are made including how flexible they were so as to allow movement on-stage. This also includes special effects used in the costume as well as creative improvements that allows for extra impact.
- Entertainment Value: The emotional impact of the performance whether through humor, amazement and awe or dramatic content. How well the skit managed to impact the audience and how well the skit would be remembered after the performance.
PASSING THE AUDITION
At the end of the performance, the judges will provide a few comments before deciding on whether the group has passed or failed the audition. As long as a majority of the judges decide on letting the group through, they will be provided a slot in the finals at Cosplay Mania 2017.
They will then have a chance to compete at Cosplay Mania 2017 for the following Prizes:
- Ultimate Cosplay Runner-Up Team: P50,000
- Ultimate Cosplay Champions: P100,000
Passes for Cosplay Mania 2017 for group members will be provided by the organizers, but any airfare, food or lodging are the sole responsibility of the contestants.
Rules are subject to change and revisions without prior notice.
The Ultimate Cosplay Championship Rules and Guidelines is the sole property of Cosplay.ph® and Cosplay Philippines®.
The guidelines cannot be copied and/or replicated and/or reproduced for any other event and/or contest without the consent and/or permission from its parent owners.