Wisconsin Virtual School
Course Extension Policy
Wisconsin Virtual School allows a student 5 months access to their course(s).
Wisconsin Virtual School will grant an extension upon request from the school district or Local Education Guide (LEG) when students are unable to complete the course within the allowed time limits. WVS will consider the online teacher’s recommendation and the amount of work remaining to be done in the final decision for granting an extension.
Requests for an extension should be made in writing by emailing Wisconsin Virtual School (firstname.lastname@example.org) two weeks before the student’s original end date. This provides enough time to make a decision in the best interest of the student and the school district. Requests made after the end date will not be granted.
- An extension for all advanced placement, high school, middle school, or credit recovery courses for 30 days beyond the end date will be provided at NO COST IF WVS, the online teacher, and the LEG feel it’s in the best interest of the student with extenuating circumstances (medical issues, family emergencies, etc.). The fee for extension requests not meeting the extenuating circumstances criteria will be $150 for an additional 30 days.
- The school district must continue to provide the student with an active LEG or contact person to support the student’s successful completion of the course in the extended period.
- School districts may decide locally if the student would be responsible for any fees owed the school district.
- A second 30 day extension can be provided for a $150 fee.
- No extensions will be provided beyond two 30-day extension periods. If more time is needed, the student would have the option of re-enrolling in the course for the current registration fee.
- Extension fees will not be prorated for less than 30 days course access.
- Students who need their final grade for graduation or another timed event should submit all work at least two weeks prior to the date the grade is needed. This will allow the WVS teacher sufficient time to grade work. There will be no guarantee that work submitted less than two weeks prior to the required date will be graded in that time period.