Boozy Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
Adapted from Prohibition Bakery
Yield - 12 cupcakes
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plain coconut water
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
4 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup coconut rum
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 tablespoons dark rum
- Cupcakes - Preheat the oven to 325˚F. Line the cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Add the egg and sour cream to the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until well combined.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the coconut water and cocoa powder. Mix until well incorporated and then beat into the butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer and mix on low until combined. Scrape the bowl and mix on high for 10 seconds.
- Portion the dough using a standard ice cream scoop into the cupcake tins. The tins will be about 2/3’s full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the cupcake tin and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Filling - Make the filling while the cupcakes bake.
- Heat the cream on the stove until it begins to simmer. Finely and evenly chop the chocolate.
- Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate and let sit for about 2 minutes. Whisk to combine.
- Add the butter and whisk until the butter is melted into the ganache filling. Slowly add the coconut rum and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the filling to a squeeze bottle or disposable piping bag that is uncut. Let cool.
- Frosting - In a dry skillet toast the coconut until golden brown. Stir frequently to not burn the coconut. Remove to a bowl and let cool completely before assembly.
- Add the butter a clean bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until pale yellow. Slowly add the powdered sugar, beating in each addition until it is well combined. The mixture will be very stiff.
- Add the vanilla and salt with a little rum. Beat and scrape down the bowl. Continue to add rum until the frosting reaches the proper consistency, soft but pipeable.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with a large round tip.
- Assembly - Core out the top of each cupcake with a piping tip or small paring knife. Snip a small opening in the bag of filling. Fill each cupcake with the filling. There will be extra, set aside.
- Pipe a medium sized blob of frosting on each cupcake. Cover the filling.
- Dip the frosting on each cupcake into the toasted coconut. Use the remaining filling to drizzle the tops.
- The cupcakes will keep for 2-3 days in a closed container.