Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
3rd Annual Postdoc Retreat: Registration & abstract submission now open!
The JHPDA formally invites all Hopkins, NIH-Bayview, and UMD postdocs to attend our 3rd Annual Postdoctoral Retreat on May 26th! To include a full day of professional development opportunities. Visit the retreat website for more details!
When: Thursday, May 26
Communications Committee Meeting
Contribute to the communications and visibility of the JHPDA!
When: Wednesday, April 13, 8:30 am
Where: Daily Grind Cafe, MRB
Contact: Pankhuri Vyas and Premraj Rajkumar
Socials Committee Meeting
Join in the organization of future social and networking events for postdocs!
When: Wednesday, April 13, 9:30 am
Contact: Justin LaFavor
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Communications: Pankhuri Vyas and Premraj Rajkumar
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Rachel Mulheren
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Dionna Williams and Marc Edwards
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: email@example.com
IN BRIEF: Provost’s Postdoc Diversity Fellowship and Small Programming Grants
The Provost’s Office is now accepting (1) nominations for Postdoc Diversity Fellowships and (2) applications for small programming grants for activities in support of underrepresented minority and women postdoctoral fellows. Deadline: April 24th.
Funding Opportunities Available:
1. Postdoctoral Diversity Fellowship: Continuation Funding. Faculty members mentoring/advising a current JH postdoc may nominate them for funding that will support the scholar’s work for up to two additional years. Only faculty mentors can submit nominations.
2. Postdoctoral Program Funding. A limited number of small grants (up to $3,000) available for cross-disciplinary programming and professional development activities that enhance mentoring and scholarly productivity for women and underrepresented minority postdoctoral scholars.
Details and guidelines for each of the above opportunities can be found here. For additional information, contact the Provost’s Office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming JHPDA Events
Policy & Advocacy Committee Meeting, Tues., April 5th
Join the Policy & Advocacy Committee in their monthly meeting. This committee serves as a voice for postdoc affairs and informs postdocs of resources and their benefits. Learn more about the committee here!
When: Tuesday, April 5, 4:15 pm
Where: Wenz Cafe (campus map)
Questions? Email Rachel Mulheren
JHPDA Monthly Meeting, Wed., April 6th
Join the JHPDA Executive Board in this month’s monthly board meeting, open to all postdocs! Learn about ongoing JHPDA initiatives, including the 3rd Annual Postdoc Retreat. Food & beverages provided!
When: Wednesday, April 6, 5:30 - 6:30 pm
Where: MRB 181 (campus map)
Questions? Email Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Industry Careers Workshop Series, Thu., April 7th
The Industry Careers Workshop Series is a four part series of participatory workshops developed at NIH for individuals who are considering a career in industry. Featuring Brad Fackler, MBA, Industry Career Advisor, Office of Intramural Training at NIH. This workshop is open to all. **Breakfast and lunch provided to registered participants.
When: Thursday, April 7, 10:00 - 3:00 pm
Where: Mountcastle Auditorium, PCTB (campus map)
Sponsored by: ASCB, JHPDA, GSA and JHM-PDCO
Questions? Email email@example.com
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Research writing for non-native speakers; registration due 4/30 (details)
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- On-campus, short-term postdoc internships in academic administration now available; internships areas include postdoctoral affairs and professional development (details)
- Work with CAN Dream to educate middle & high schoolers on dementia, brain facts, and dementia-related stigmas; contact firstname.lastname@example.org by 4/30 (details) (posted 4/04)
- Are you a postdoc and new parent? Consider taking survey on Title IX Pregnancy Accommodation for postdocs, hosted by UC Hastings’ Center for WorkLife Law; due 4/06 (details and survey link)
- Submit your application for the SciFinder future leaders program; due 4/10 (details) (posted 3/28)
- Venture firm Allied Minds is seeking applicants for Allied Minds Fellows Program; fellows will provide support to investment team and portfolio companies; deadline 4/15 (details)
- Register for the writing and career development workshop, organized by the NIH; in Baltimore on 5/11 (details) (posted 3/28)
- Share your idea for the next big health app at Hopkins inHealth Shark Tank; win $5000; one page summary due on 4/20 (details) (posted 3/28)
- 2016 Lasker Essay Contest now open; engages scientists and clinicians in discussion about the big questions in biology and medicine (details)
- Baltimore Under Ground Science Space (BUGSS) offers opportunities to interact with the public (details)
- Advancing Postdoc Women Guide Book: essential information for postdoc women in their careers; provided by National Postdoctoral Association (download) (posted 1/18)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Data Share Fellowship Program with Research Data Alliance (RDA) now accepting applications; due 4/18 (details) (posted 4/04)
- Opportunity for postdocs to work as Freelance Scientific Consultants with Kolabtree (details) (posted 4/04)
- The Office of the Provost is now accepting nominations for Provost’s Postdoctoral Diversity Fellowship & applications for small programming grants; due 4/24 (details) (posted 3/28)
- Registration now open for Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins SPH (details) (posted 3/28)
- Journal of Postdoctoral Research now accepting applications for editors, papers and abstracts (details) (posted 3/28)
- NIBIB Program Director and Program Analyst position openings at NIH(details) (posted 3/21)
- JH Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center accepting pilot project applications in aging, Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders from faculty of any rank; due 4/29; full announcement or contact email@example.com (posted 3/14)
- Postdoc positions available at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Department of Radiology (details) (posted 3/14)
- Postdoc position available in Bioinformatics/Computational biology (details) (posted 3/14)
- The American Association for the advancement of Science (AAAS) seeks an Associate Editor for its journal Science (details) (posted 3/14)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- ...For events around baltimore check the list here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.