

Malaysia Local Nodes - 2025/03/13 09:57 EDT - Transcript

Attendees

Aik Wei, Asilbek Abdullayev, Christopher Lema, Derek Liew, Eugene Leventhal, Jamilya Kamalova, JingYuan Phen, Juan Molina, Mario Taning, SK Kim, SK Kim's Presentation, Varit Ruangsiri, Vienna Looi

Transcript

Eugene Leventhal: Yes.

Asilbek Abdullayev: What's that?

SK Kim: Yep.

SK Kim: Can everyone see my screen? Yeah, I think this is currently work in progress. I think I can share the docs later in the group as but so far I think we are breaking it down to mainly three parts. the first part is the hackathon, the second part is the stipen and the third one is for the workshop grant. So for context, the KA house we're currently renting a living room and the additional room of a terrace house right now and he had been hosting 18 sessions since the beginning and including activities like study groups, workshops, at home meetups for international guests and also also as the guest house for nomads.

SK Kim: And right now what we think is still think is that it's currently underutilized. So we need one person a group of new people to oversee this host more content and also opportunity for a new community members to step up. this could be a scaling point to host more workshops, host more guests, more at home meetups. And one thing that might be nice to have is a recorded session for example for YouTube. so we currently have a low bandwidth of doing this just one time per month but this is something that we have in mind as well.

SK Kim: And nice to have is if we see this progress as if many are very committed in making the hacker house more active we could expand it to be open for no more nomads also for students staying in the place right now. second and third is actually complimentary to the hack house. One is probably a stipen for students who volunteer to help out hosting guests or hosting people hosting general activities here for those who are volunteering and the second part is generally for a workshop run for people to apply to host.

SK Kim: So just a little bit of context I think for the past year we had some people hosting series of ZK workshops 1 to7 and yeah so this is something that we could replicate and also to appreciate for those who are hosting workshops it could be a tier list if it's a multiple part series or after event food and I think last part is also So we're currently hosting a EKL conference. This is a late addition on this but yeah we are hosting a EKL this year in 2025 right now.

SK Kim: Yeah, I think yeah, so this is a quick breakdown that we currently have right now.

Eugene Leventhal: That's great.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah. So, I think it will definitely be interesting to jump into a little more color and I saw a few other folks joined. so yeah, maybe we could just do a quick round of intros and then would love to, present some information from our side and just some overall updates and then really jump into the ideas that you overviewed there. I'll kick off on our side and then I'll ask Jamila, Juan, and Chris to introduce themselves. but yeah, I'm Eugene.

Eugene Leventhal: I'm on the governance team here and working with the other folks from scroll who are on the call to work on a variety of activities but the most relevant one is currently the local nodes and local community outside of scroll I also do research at metadv focused on grant programs so that's a whole separate other thread if that's a thing of interest for anyone here happy to chat about it another time but really excited to see how we can best work with both with H KL and all the different university groups there. yeah, Chamila, I will pass it off to you.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank hello My name is Jimm. I'm governance facilitator at scroll and I'm working together with you and Chris and others to hopefully facilitate development of different programs as Eugene mentioned local programs being one of the priority ones.

Jamilya Kamalova: So very excited very happy to see you all.

Eugene Leventhal: Chris,...

Eugene Leventhal: do you mind hopping in? And then one

00:05:00

Christopher Lema: Yeah. ...

Christopher Lema: hi, I'm Chris. I've spoken to some of you so great to see y'all here. yeah, I'm super excited. I work on the Scroll Foundation side, doing ecosystem development grants and all this other good stuff. But yeah, excited that we get to work together. I'll pass it off to Juan.

Juan Molina: Sorry, I'm buffering. hello everybody. nice meeting you all.

Eugene Leventhal: Awesome. Thank you.

Juan Molina: I think we haven't interacted much, but I lead community at scroll and lately I've been working a lot with foundation and bringing together a few ideas of how to make sure that these local nodes become U really passionate about this initiative and very excited to see it come to life. so

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, I can I know there's a lot of us on the call. Maybe I'll just coordinate as I see it on the screen. Ascro

Asilbek Abdullayev: Yeah, sure.

Asilbek Abdullayev: Hi guys. This is Aselback. I am currently with the SKL team helping it out plus the advisor for Sunway blockchain club.

Asilbek Abdullayev: So one of the university clubs in Malaysia, one of the leading music clubs I have to say and outside that also I'm working with other infra project. Yep.

Eugene Leventhal: Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: I quay. Yes.

Aik Wei: Hi. Can you hear me? Yeah. Sorry, I'm on the move right now. As you can see, I'm in a car. I just left Shanghai's part.

Aik Wei: I was with Shanghai earlier just now as yeah, so I'm Eggway president of APU blockchain and cryptocurrency club and basically our goal is also to activate a lot of educations on web 3. I'm also currently working as an ambassador for Chronicle Protocol as well. yeah, looking forward to work with you

Eugene Leventhal: Great. Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: SK, do you mind jumping in

SK Kim: Yeah. hey everyone. So my name is Kim can call me Shanghai. So I'm currently the community manager of Eve Kale. and on my day job I'm the content writer in web three. Yeah. So that's Hi, I'm Danny. maybe it is the same quen from last time so I'm the lead organizer for the conference and nice to meet you guys. My day job is I'm building a project or...

Eugene Leventhal: Amazing.

SK Kim: doing startups. hi I'm an aspiring retiree from the ETL community.

SK Kim: as I've told RH before I helped to start the ETL community back in 2018 and hope to be able to give the reigns to the young folks. my day job is as a product manager at Etherscan as well as scroll scan. Hi James nice again. So I'm just stay here but my day job is about defy consulting and some fund management and aside I'm also planning to do my own stuff.

Eugene Leventhal: Thank you. Yeah, it seems like great energy and vibe within the hacker house. really cool to yeah, Jing Yuan, do you mind jumping in? you're on mute...

Eugene Leventhal: if you are. perfect.

JingYuan Phen: Hi.

JingYuan Phen: I'm Jingu and I'm the vice president of Taylor's Blockchain Club.

JingYuan Phen: Currently I'm not working anywhere or I'm not a ambassador. I'm just a vice president.

Eugene Leventhal: Got it.

Eugene Leventhal: Thank you. var. Yes.

Varit Ruangsiri: Can you hear me? Yes. So, yeah, I'm Barrett. I'm part of the eat patai committee. I'm from based in Bangkok and yeah just being here observing. Is there anything I really want to contribute something to the Southeast Asia community. So yeah, happy to be here and personally I do a lot of governance related stuff being delegates in several protocols and nice to meet you all.

00:10:00

Eugene Leventhal: Thank you. Vienna.

Vienna Looi: Hi guys, I've been working on different projects with Pagoda, Seang hopefully the hacker house as well.

Vienna Looi: Looking into refi some citizen science DIY stuff and Buddhist economics.

Eugene Leventhal: Nice. Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: Derek

Derek Liew: Hi, I'm the president of PYMT blockchain club currently still a student and then I spend most of my time participating hackathon and at the same time I'm also an ambassador for OSS protocol. So yeah, I hope to contribute to this FKL and...

Eugene Leventhal: Amazing. Thank you.

Derek Liew: scroll in the future. Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: And Mario Got it.

Mario Taning: Yeah. Hi, nice to meet you. My name is I'm the president of Wes Blockchain Club. So, we're trying to activate the web community in our university in Malaysia. And currently, I'm a deaf at Pluto. it's a D5 protocol on Solana. So, yeah, nice to meet you all.

Eugene Leventhal: Thank really exciting group of folks working on this and open to spending time to figure out this community strategy. So, just really appreciate everyone chatting and taking the time. I guess to give a quick update from our side, I'll start and then Juan or anyone else on the scroll side, please jump in to add any more context.

Eugene Leventhal: But overall we're still early with our DAO. we launched towards the end of last year in October and we started this kind of design process together as a way to generate the ideas and we're designing the different proposals. so if anyone is interested in governance more broadly at scroll definitely happy to fill you in. but to keep it focused on the local nodes Malaysia as I'm sure y'all are aware with the activities with kind of scroll campus coming together and our head of growth moving there and we obviously have RH there so we want to make sure that we are building a kind of sustainable and long-term community effort and working with the folks who have been doing it the longest with the ETHL crew and all of the wonderful

Eugene Leventhal: blockchain clubs and other community groups on the ground there. So yeah, we're just really excited to explore what it looks like. and Juan who has been working on the community here at Scroll for some time is helping us also think through how to make it more structured and consistent from the support from the foundation side. So, we should have some updates within the next week or so with just some more kind of detailed frameworks and ideas that will hopefully help make the local nodes have more consistent information across the different nodes. because in addition to working with y'all in Koala Lumpur, we have a community in Seoul that we're talking to in Nairobi, in Kenya, in Brazil, in one or two cities.

Eugene Leventhal: and then some other areas are potentially bubbling up as So yeah, I think by the summer we're going to see a few of these possibly four to seven local nodes with scroll around the world and we're just super excited to explore this in more detail. I guess Juan, is there anything you want to mention at a high level with some of the initial framework thinking just to make sure to put that on everyone's radar?

Juan Molina: Yeah, for So, I think one of the biggest things for Malaysia is leveraging the efforts that labs is putting in the country. So, you guys do have a big advantage in terms of the resources available Raza Renhow locally scroll campus happening in Malaysia as well. and I think that's a great opportunity to think about how to add value to these general resources that are already happening and building on top of scroll from the local node side.

Juan Molina: So when planning these activities, think towards how do we bring more devs to scroll open? How do we bring more devs to scroll campus? how through these initiatives, how do we add value to these other things? And we funnel these efforts into a bigger thing for follow-up for these people. I think that's one of the biggest things for Malaysia. and then secondly I would encourage that I want to say that at least I'm calling it a phased approach where initial proposals from these local nodes are more like an establishment period for three months where we kickstart and start working on how

00:15:00

Juan Molina: the local node works, the operational dynamics, what works what doesn't, and readapt in the near future, read adapt quickly if needed. and then evolve from there, a second phase with more capacities, more stuff. But I think taking it easy and trying to do lowhanging fruits first and then move on to more complex things in the second or third stage would be great. and lastly, I think this has a lot to do with what talents are available.

Juan Molina: So who's willing to collaborate with the local node and based on that you plan out your activities right so particularly in Malaysia once again there's a huge advantage because we do have Renhow there so in terms of technical content you guys have all the support in the world in that sense for technical content that wouldn't be a burden I heard bigly about a grants round so if scroll can provide that grand structure for you guys to be able to execute and you guys have the talent to be able to execute on something like that then that can be definitely discussed but we didn't have a talent within the ETHKL or the Malaysia community that could execute a grants round then it would be a little bit harder for us to prioritize that kind of activity.

Juan Molina: just think about the talents that you guys have available, think about what you guys have the capacity to do and from there plan out the activities. and I think the overall idea of local nodes is how do we support scrolls overall goals? How do we through community building in a very hyper localized way? So very focused in Malaysia. How do we, basically win the ecosystem for scroll locally? and with that in mind, it should be much easier to trickle down the activities and another big thing to think about, as you guys mentioned, ETHKL happening later this year, definitely also something to look towards to. So, how do we show up big as a scroll community during this event, right?

Juan Molina: So I assume you guys will have a hackathon probably right as usual. So how do we make sure that most hackers are participating on scroll just because of how much community work we've been doing from before the event, So that's also a way to set out goals and then build out activities to reach those goals. and for the event specific stuff, I think there's really cool things that we can explore. that

would be really interesting, but I think that's later down the year that we could probably, disclose those specific activities. So, I mean, that's overall my thought process right now.

Juan Molina: I think the local node framework document is in a much better place and for sure hopefully we can share that later this year sorry later not this year later this week for it to make much more sense on what is ideal I guess to make sure that these local nodes are successful that's my number one priority is making sure that these local nodes are a total hit and that we make them work whatever it takes.

Juan Molina: So those are my overall thoughts. Any questions, comments? Awesome.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, thank you for sharing all that,...

Eugene Leventhal: And we'll make sure to pass along the information as soon as it's available. I realize I should also send the telegram chat link for the local node proposal group where there's a dedicated channel for the KL conversation. So that would be the best place to kind of share and just keep the whole group updated.

Eugene Leventhal: So yeah, anyone here who wants to join, please feel free to. and SK would love to turn it back to you and kind of, maybe go through the idea in a little more, detail and we can provide some feedback or ask some questions and, go from there.

00:20:00

SK Kim: All right. One sec.

SK Kim: Can you guys see my screen? Yeah. So, should I go through one by one first? I think there are four items, three main ones. for context of the hacker house. I think you saw this space So it's a terrace house with a living room and also a guest room that we have for guests or nomads right now.

Eugene Leventhal: Yes. Mhm.

SK Kim: And for context we host at home meetups and also workshops and also guests who are coming here at home meetups and also some more chill activities and for context we are hosting maybe 18 sessions since the beginning of 2024 till today. so these are the four things and currently what we think is that is currently underutilized as so we think that there's much more potential to continue hosting these events for people to come to this hacker house even more.

SK Kim: So yeah, so this proposal is made in the idea that we have a person in charge to host more sessions even recorded sessions for YouTube. We currently have bandwidth for just once per month for our monthly meetups. So that's something that is nice to have and we're thinking that if many are committed in making this he actor house more active or people are willing to let's say stay we could expand this house for more mat students etc. Yeah. So I think I'll just stop right here first or should I go on? Yeah. Any questions so far?

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah. Yeah. I think it would be great to dive into each one a little bit.

SK Kim: Yeah. Heat.

Eugene Leventhal: Thank you for recapping that. So, just to make sure I'm getting the idea correctly, it sounds like there's kind of two main sides to the hacker house right now. It's, potentially budget for

someone, who can dedicate time towards hosting more activities, organizing more and arranging more of the content. and then separate is what are the meetups, what is the content and the actual focus of some of those activities.

Eugene Leventhal: Is that an accurate way to reflect this idea

SK Kim: Yeah,...

SK Kim: I think that's the kind of current phase at least. if we could maybe add a little bit more kind of the long-term vision or more like ambitious stuff would be and we've seen this in Seoul in South Korea. There's a very popular long-term hacker house called nons which was an inspiration for us when we started this. but we think in Malaysia it can be a lot cheaper. generally the English level is higher and there's an active community already. so if us as a community can prove that there's enough traction then that idea of a hacker house can be a real house where people stay for long term.

SK Kim: you could have let's say half the people staying longterm and another half are nomads or guests who come and then you can create this thriving place where people just come and meet together and learn together and potentially group up and create projects together. yeah so we've actually even looked at the numbers. it actually would be able to do a lot at not that much cost. and another thing for the hack house to be very clear is it will be like an EKL hack house. So it's not like necessarily a scroll focused house. It will be a house that's for the Ethereum community and even the wider web 3 community.

SK Kim: but yeah, so it could be a shelling point as Shankai put in the

Eugene Leventhal: Got it.

Eugene Leventhal: That makes a lot of sense. yeah, Juan would be interested in kind of hearing your feedback as well.

Juan Molina: So I think so I guess the big point of feedback from our end here would be I'm trying to find out because I'm not 100% sure but with scroll camp as being available that will still be a co-working space of sort. I believe it will remain open. So, I mean, what would be the difference between foundation investing the DAO investing in a separate hacker house if there's already a resource available for scroll in the campus? I completely understand the nuns Trust me, I am very fond of this angle. That's something I'm trying to replicate for my own community in Latin America in Honduras.

00:25:00

Juan Molina: I've had the opportunity to be at nons and to chat with the guys and very very passionate about how they built this whole project, I would also like to think that it's also very depending on budget. So I don't know if you can share already what the budget could look like for something like this.

SK Kim: Yeah, I'm actually not sure yet to be given the current phase, we're not talking the grand vision stuff which will be beyond this year, but for the current phase primarily just be like having enough of an incentive for someone a couple people to keep running this lap. because as we've shared before a bunch of the active community contributors or they have full-time jobs, they don't have much bandwidth. hopefully the students can come in and It can just be like small stipens just to have enough of an incentive.

Juan Molina: All So the request in this particular point is more about for people managing this hacker house.

SK Kim: Yep, that's right.

Juan Molina: So you guys already have the hacker house, and what you guys want is, more incentives for people to get involved in hacker house basically. Great. I mean, so the only thing missing here for me is how does supporting this hacker house, how do we aim to bring more people towards something like scroll open or scroll campus etc. as a bigger goal idea.

Juan Molina: So, I think if we could detail here.

Eugene Leventhal: One,...

Eugene Leventhal: you're muted.

Juan Molina: My yeah. So I was saying for this particular hacker house what particular activities we could host for scroll we could give a stipen to university students or that has a more targeted goal and...

Juan Molina: we could definitely justify it much better. does that make sense?

Vienna Looi: Yeah, maybe I can try taking a step and...

Vienna Looi: then other people can jump in. Again, this is just my personal opinion for now. so a couple of things is that I should also disclaim first a potential conflict of interest because ...

Juan Molina: Mhm.

Vienna Looi: because the house is my family home basically that I had used the crypto basically to renovate the house so that we can turn it into a hacker house kind of in conjunction with the vision that Arip has shared about looking at how nons has done it and by the way nonsspokes are also good friends and a lot of them are part of Pagoda as well. So we talk often about how they did it what was the story back then and what are the challenges and things like that.

Vienna Looi: so that aside I will first to your question around how will it add value to scroll I think there's a couple of things there honestly we talked about this a little bit in the last call which is that I think scroll campus is going to be in Moniara which is going to it's the difference is that is quite an expati area so it's not much I think locals don't generally stay there. which is fine but just know that I think RH and I talk a little bit about the builder houses that if you do bring in let's say 20 people to Malaysia. They will need to stay somewhere anyway. but staying there will definitely be at least 30% more expensive than in Sububang which actually interestingly is the area that is staying.

00:30:00

Vienna Looi: So, let's just say it's a super easy walking commute for RH if anything. but I do see that in the future to get from Sububang to the scroll campus, it will take maybe 30 minutes drive or something. but the difference is that Sububang is actually where a lot of the universities are. This kind of known as a university town. So it kind of also depends on what is the funnel that you guys are trying to design. but for me I would think that what nons did in the past is that they actually in a way captured or they were a nest

for students who didn't want to do the typical corporate job thing but haven't quite figured out their life yet. and Scroll was kind of like a base camp for them.

Vienna Looi: So kind of like we graduated but what do we want to do in life? We want to do something meaningful. So it's kind of a catchment for those kind of students. And I honestly think there's no better place to really create personally a funnel for scroll than maybe helping out students and I think this is what nons did as well they kind of had some sponsorship as well to kind of bring the rent in Gangnam area down because in Malaysia it's also very typical for anyone who to spend up to half of their money in rent as a fresh grad so that would be the funnel that I would think or

Juan Molina: Yeah, one day I mean you tied it into something particular for scroll. I mean to me it makes sense in that case and if anything I think this is why it's also important as I mentioned this staged approach and particularly for this first iteration of a local no proposal maybe like a 3 month window or something like that to be able to iterate see if this works and is achieving the goals that we set out.

Juan Molina: But you tied it in very well in terms of hey we have people coming from outside to something like scroll campus. They do need to find lodging. maybe this would be a better option to host them and also an opportunity to host local students for them to start their web 3 journey through something like this. So that definitely sounds like a good mind process there. yeah, I would definitely detail that giving out that context. So for example, one thing to keep in mind is that these local note proposals, they'll go up for voting, So we want to make sure that we give all delegates enough context of how these ties in to make scroll better. because that's the general interest of the DO, So that's why it's important to tie these things to the bigger picture.

Juan Molina: Why is this important to you guys? Okay, because it's in a university region because I think explaining all that context would be really good once drafting the final proposal for the local with that in mind definitely makes a lot more.

SK Kim: So I guess maybe John already summarize ...

Juan Molina: Yeah. Yeah.

SK Kim: but in my opinion I think having a longterm place is really important. I think the score campus is three month thing right. I used Mhm.

Juan Molina: Yeah, it's a six week thing. Yeah.

SK Kim: So I used to stay in the working space called DLO in Portugal and that place is actually mostly people working on top of Ethereum but back two years ago and it was really important and interesting place the place is I don't know if it's true but it's founded by a founder and there are so many folks there basically it's where bar chain was born because there are so many developers

SK Kim: and they do day basis they talk to each other and new idea come up. So if you just let's say support this place and just score as a main topic and then it's natural for them to talk around score things and maybe through a new concept or new functions people just discuss around it and...

SK Kim: maybe they come up some idea and then they build something on top of it. So, by the way, I'm not Malaysian, so I'm being cultivated by this community. So, maybe I'm like a real example something.

Juan Molina: Yeah, absolutely.

Juan Molina: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. that's totally valid. For Yeah. I think if we put a little more context of why this is important to the community and how this ties to the bigger goals at scroll,...

00:35:00

Juan Molina: I think it definitely makes sense. Awesome. I think Eugene, you want to add anything or we could potentially move on to the next one?

Eugene Leventhal: No. Yeah,...

Eugene Leventhal: I think that's great and excited to see the idea fleshed out more for all the reasons mentioned of why it could be impactful. so yeah, would be excited to hear more about stipend and then keep working through

SK Kim: Yeah, I think the next two parts it's just an idea. so yeah, I think I covered most of it. I think it's for the workshop grant part. I think we used to have people hosting Z workshops. For example, last year we had a person hosting a series of six sessions of ZK workshops and this idea is what we have in mind is that to kind of give them a token appreciation for those who host these events.

SK Kim: It could be small things for example after event there's they ordering pizzas or maybe just in general a token of gratitude for them. I think that's what we have in mind for people to consistently and also feel appreciated when they host these workshops because previously they did it basically for free.

SK Kim: Of course their perks like exposure etc. but yeah, I think this is what we have in mind for the workshop grant for people to Yeah.

Juan Molina: Is there more?

Juan Molina: Okay.

SK Kim: Yeah. Yeah.

Juan Molina: So, this particularly is also for the hacker house. yeah, I think it's totally doable. that's one of the best ways of on boarding is giving others the opportunity to be a part of this thing. So maybe not always have RH doing the meetups, but having someone else participate and do these workshops would be great for sure. So would these make more sense if structured as its own thing where you guys set out like a calendar of workshops and set out a budget for those?

Juan Molina: So in this sense you can take care of the food and...

Juan Molina: any organizational budget within that program. I think if separated it would make more sense as well. Does that sound awesome?

SK Kim: Yeah, I think Yeah.

SK Kim: Yeah. maybe Denny would like to share a little bit more about the conference.

Juan Molina: Yeah, absolutely. Great. then ETHL conference

SK Kim: I think you're the best person to one second. All right. Hello.

SK Kim: So I think first and foremost yeah just a reintro I'm the conference organizer for the lead organizer for last year as well as this year and I've also organized part of the organizing team for 2023. So first and foremost I just want to thank you guys for being a sponsor of last year and I think the introduction of scroll was pretty successful with last year's conference. a lot of people got to know about RH and I think all the efforts that RH has done right after the conference as well has led up to a buildup of the scroll community in Malaysia.

SK Kim: thank you guys so much. because all in all that also builds up the blockchain community in Malaysia. So the conference for this year is pretty fresh. in fact today was our first meeting about the conference and we will be having a three-day hackathon and a one-day conference on the 20th of September. And more details will come with a sponsorship deck that I probably will discuss with either or anyone with the team. But the idea for this year is probably going to play along with distributed trustless autonomous intelligence.

00:40:00

SK Kim: So playing along with some of the narratives that has been happening this year with AI agents but also playing with why does AI exist within the blockchain space and how distributed networks can play along with the technology itself in terms of accountability and such. so the themes will be around there a bit on solar punk as well and Southeast Asia. So this year a bit of a far reach but what we'll be trying this year is instead of just having it as an Ethereum Koala Lumpur or Malaysia we'll be trying to include our Southeast Asian counterparts as well. So more on the builders around Southeast Asia. yeah so it's a working theme.

SK Kim: So just wanted to show you a bit on yeah sorry I have to kind of share my screen this way. I haven't really shared in deck. so this is the kind of general feel of it is going to be more solar punkish and the venue is going to be at this abandoned train workshop. It's all air conditioned. We'll have one general space where there'll be food spaces where people can just kind of sit around bean bags and just discuss very niche topics as well as one general and one technical. last year so for the first year we had 800 participants. Last year we had 1,3 but what we experience with increase with number is a saturation in quality. So this year we'll try to keep the conference even more condensed and concise but increase the number of hackathon count. So last year the first year we had 100 hackers.

SK Kim: Last year we had 250 hackers but what we did not expect was an overwhelming amount of hacker applications. and this year with the efforts that I think not only scroll but a lot of university have been working with on the number of builders in Malaysia this year we can push between 300 to 350 hackers and we'll be really focusing the conference around the build centric aspect of it. So even though the conference itself is going to be one day and the hackathon is going to be three days we're going to try to do a lot of activation towards the event as itself.

SK Kim: So potentially we can use scroll opens working space for some mini events that we might have as well as just have some other extra general events around the main event. So I'm really excited to work on that with you guys. I will discuss further with whether it be Raza or Emily and we'll see where it goes from that.

SK Kim: But I would love to hear what you guys have in mind as well with how a successful conference in Malaysia could be for you guys.

Juan Molina: Yeah, for sure.

Juan Molina: I mean, I think it would have a lot to do with presence. So, for example, if there's a hackathon, how many people are actually building on scroll? And that's based on labor done beforehand of the event, So, how do we tie this all in together? we're proposing hacker house. We're proposing workshops to happen in this This hacker hall happens to be in a very university ccentric region. So do we build three months before the event? How do we build hype, enough momentum with these activities?

SK Kim: Hey,

Juan Molina: So as many workshops as we can executing these universities onboarding as many devs to participate potentially as their first time in a web 3 hackathon during ETKL and for that representation to be on scroll. That's how we can tie this whole thing together. We're still exploring to be completely frank how could it look like for example for a local node to actually be a representation at an event. So instead of us scroll being the main sponsor of something like kale, what if the local node requested the sponsorship in their behalf? So that's something that we're exploring, but I think that's probably further down the line as these local nodes mature more. But I mean once again you guys have Raza on the ground, you guys have Renhow, so that's not something I would worry too much about.

00:45:00

Juan Molina: But that's how I would tie it in together. So as I mentioned I would really encourage or I think it would be best if we take this stage approach. So I mean at whatever stage is closer to ETHKL consider working these activations that the local node is doing aims to bring more representation for scroll at an event like ETHKL.

SK Kim: Yep.

Juan Molina: So anyone that seeskl should already know about scroll basically and that's what we should aim to do and how are we going to do it then we can do it by doing a bunch of workshops we can go to universities on boarding as many devs as possible and then all these people invite them to ETKL etc. and what the turnout should be something like in the hackathon a bunch of devs hacking on scroll we do have a booth I mean anyone should be interested in coming to the booth and chatting with scroll and the local node etc. and something that is being explored for example in other places of the world alongside events is stuff like hacker houses etc.

Juan Molina: So I mean you guys already have this in your proposal as more of a long-term vision. So I mean how do we host I don't know people from Southeast Asia in this hacker house to build on scroll kind of thing.

Juan Molina: So that's how we tie it all in together I believe.

SK Kim: fascinating. I just want to kind of build off a little bit more on...

SK Kim: what you were saying. I definitely agree. just having this buildup of events towards the main event would be honestly not just benefit scroll but benefit us as a community as well. because what we noticed from the first year and then the second year is that even though the number of hackers were growing, there was a lot of new hackers as well. And just having this smaller activations towards the event whether

it be scroll or anyone it can really help hackers kind of get used to the format as well as being part of the build.

SK Kim: And I think one added advantage that they have with hacking on scroll within the event itself is that once the hackathon is done,...

SK Kim: it's not just the bounty, right? They can actually build out the entire project having scroll open in KL. They can always Yeah, exactly. Yeah.

Juan Molina: Exactly. Yeah.

Juan Molina: Exactly. that's the followup. so we talked about how do we work towards ETKL and then basically what ends up happening is that ETKL works towards scroll open and that's how we like tying the goals of one with the other and I think that's a way to justify the activities ...

SK Kim: Okay. I think that's all from me.

SK Kim: before I complete my part I also just want to ask whether you guys have any plans towards the end of the year around September where there's not just ETHL but there's right after ETL is coring week and token because I want to include you guys but make sure that there's no fatigue around the No worries.

Juan Molina: I think it would be hard to say, right now. I don't think we're thinking too far ahead at this time to be completely honest. But I wouldn't worry about so one thing that's clear to foundation and labs is that Malaysia is our priority region. So I don't Malaysia, Korea, Brazil and Kenya. So whatever is required these regions are priority.

SK Kim: All right.

Juan Molina: So I would really assume that whatever is happening in these regions is priority for us. Yeah.

SK Kim: Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, I would also just quickly add,...

Eugene Leventhal: from the foundation side, we're figuring out our own kind of themes and priorities from a governance perspective, and it looks like one of them is likely around end of summer, early fall, we might want to do we were thinking a virtual conference initially but on the intersection of AI and governance. So if ETHKL is being explored for around similar time of sometime in September yeah we can explore how there might be coordination and collaboration there as well given the kind of theme that you presented because yeah we're foundation is obviously much newer than the lab side so lab has a lot more existing momentum and focused roadmap we're still excuse me in the process of designing that roadmap

Eugene Leventhal: map for the rest of this year and into next year for the foundation side. So yeah, there we will keep you posted with some updates from our end that might also be able to nicely tie in with some of...

SK Kim: Amazing. Thank you,...

00:50:00

Eugene Leventhal: what you are already planning there. so yeah, we can explore if there's additional collaboration from that angle as well as part of this.

SK Kim: Eugene. Thanks for sharing.

Eugene Leventhal:

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, of course. Thank you so much. yeah, I mean, this has been tremendously helpful. thank you again for putting this together and for everyone who joined. I know we only have about five or so minutes left. so I figure at this point it would be best to look forward to specific next steps. so, as Juan mentioned, we're trying to get some resources to just make it easier for folks to kind of frame out and put together formal proposals. we will hopefully get that to you by sometime early to mid next week.

Eugene Leventhal: and then as you know we would love to kind of work with you all to start formalizing this into an initial proposal. we can keep it in more of Google doc form and provide some feedback initially and then once we go through some more focused feedback then we can coordinate on getting it into an actual official proposal and on the forum. I do just want to remind with governance cycles at scroll we kind of start voting cycles for the first 10 days of every month. so if something were to go up for say an April 1st vote to get official feedback it would need to already be on the forum at least kind of a week to 10 days before then is recommended to make sure there's enough feedback from the wider delegate community.

Eugene Leventhal: So I guess also would be interested to hear, what are the timelines that you're hoping for? if you're looking for to get this kind of run by the DAO and potentially voted in April, we would obviously have to rush a bit in order to get a proposal up roughly by the end of next week onto the forum.

Eugene Leventhal: But if it's okay for May 1st voting and then it would only be decided upon in midMay, then there's a little more wiggle room. So I just wanted to mention that to make sure we keep the right timeline on your end in mind as well.

SK Kim: I think generally we are fine with either one.

SK Kim: Ideally it's not too rush I think custom is fine. I mean, yeah.

Eugene Leventhal: And in this case I think that especially given we had this conversation and there's already alignment on a number of the ideas. I think it is possible to do something for April 1st. I don't want to say that as in it's not doable. I just want to be realistic that if you if you and your team are willing to put together a proposal in the next few days then we can work on getting you the feedback and getting it on the forum sometime early next week. and I mean as delegates you can just post it on the forum. You don't need us to post it on the forum.

Eugene Leventhal: So yeah, we can definitely do that, but yeah, if that feels too rushed, we can absolutely work on a slightly slower timeline and...

Eugene Leventhal: shoot to get it on the forum in three or four weeks, and that will give more than enough time for people to react ahead of May 1st. So, just let us know what works best for you. We don't mind doing either one.

SK Kim: Yeah, because there are a lot of students currently in this call as well.

SK Kim: So yeah, I think we can have them chip in later on to see what they are doing as I think as part of this notion.

SK Kim: So yeah, I think I'll get back to you on that. No problem.

Eugene Leventhal: Sounds good.

Eugene Leventhal: And yeah, I saw a number of people jumped into the Telegram group and both Juan and I are there. So yeah, please feel free to tag us with any questions or anything. And just really appreciate you putting together these ideas and getting such an amazing group of folks together for this conversation.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, just really appreciate it and I'm really excited to work with you all on getting the local node started. Cool.

SK Kim: Yep. Thank you as well.

SK Kim: Thank you, Juan. And thank you all for joining.

Asilbek Abdullayev: Thank you.

Juan Molina: Yeah. Yeah. Definitely happy to provide feedback at any time. Please message me or open. hope it all made sense. If you have any other questions, I also think the local node doc that we're going to share is definitely going to help a lot. but you guys have the right ideas. I think it would just need require for you to connect these ideas. and we're on the right track there. Great. Thank you everybody. Thank you Gina. See you.

00:55:00

Vienna Looi: Thanks. Good night.

Asilbek Abdullayev: Byebye.

Meeting ended after 00:55:12 🙌

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.