Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, July 1st, 5:30 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building (PCTB) room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Cafe)
Internationals Committee Meeting
Join us in discussing and planning internationally-themed events for the postdoc community; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, June 30th, 12:30 pm
Where: Cobblestone Cafe (near Einstein’s Bagels)
Contact: Beth Zucconi
Socials Committee Meeting
Bring your ideas for postdoc social events, and help plan future events. Open to all!
When: Tuesday, July 7th, 9:30 am
Contact: Justin LaFavor
Communications Committee Meeting
Join us with ideas for effectively communicating and advertising to Hopkins postdocs. All are welcome!
When: Wednesday, July 8th, 8:30 am
Where: MRB/BRB Daily Grind
Contact: Anna Blice-Baum
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: email@example.com
Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
National survey that aims to capture information regarding postdoc fellows’ situation, goals, beliefs, and performance. It is being circulated through multiple postdoc associations around the world and takes ~10-12 minutes to complete. The goal is that this data will assist in decision making for both future postdocs and policy makers. (link)
The research team: Mor Grinstein and Roi Treister (Mass Gen & Harvard Med School) & Amir Grinstein (Northeastern & VU Amsterdam)
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Hopkins Postdocs Hike Old Rag Mountain
On Saturday, June 6th, 16 brave Hopkins postdocs climbed Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah National Park. During the > 10 mile circuit hike, they conquered a treacherous rock scramble and reached an elevation of 3,291 feet at the summit. The trip offered stunning views of the Virginia landscape, animal sightings (including rattle snakes, eagles, deer, and bears), and the opportunity to develop new bonds with fellow postdocs.
They celebrated this impressive feat with a well-deserved campfire meal and overnight camping. JHPDA Social Committee generously sponsored the event.
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Consulting Interview Workshop, Tues., June 30th
Interested in Management Consulting as a career? Learn more about the Case interviews and Fit interviews from former McKinsey consultants and now co-founders of Oystir (free service to link PhDs to non-academic jobs).
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Time: 2:30 - 3:30 pm
Location: Wood Basic Science Auditorium
For more information, click here
Game Night and Ice cream Social, Tues., June 30th
Join the International Committee for a postdoc game night! Board games, drinks, and ice cream will be provided!
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Time: 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Location: Preclinical Teaching Building Courtyard (outside)
Questions? Contact Beth
Professional Development Opportunities
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Dates through October available!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates through October now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Your Research Career – Summer Intersession
- Monday, Tuesday, Friday, July 13,14,17, 12 – 3 pm, Rangos 490
- Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm Location: Rangos 490
- Thursday July 16, 12-3 pm, Mountcastle auditorium
- Click here for more details and registration.
- Developing a powerful CV
- Tuesday, 8/04, 12:00 - 2:00 pm, register here
- Developing a tailored resume and deciphering the job announcement
- Wednesday, 8/05, 12:00 - 2:00 pm, register here
- Applying for Federal Jobs
- Thursday, 8/06, 12:00 - 2:00 pm, register here
Additional Professional Development Events
- Mapping the PhD Job Market: 6/30, 4:00 pm, Tilghman Auditorium (details)
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- 33rd Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- Institute for Excellence in Education Teaching Camp 7/09 - 7/10
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Virtual Hiring Event, FDA (1:00 pm 6/29 - TODAY; details)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- MEND Funding Initiative for Research in Neurodegenerative Disorders (due 6/30, details)
- 2015 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Inhibition in the CNS (registration deadline 7/18; details)
- ASCB Kaluza Prize for excellence in graduate student research (due 7/31; details)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here.
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Cancer biology faculty positions at The Wistar Institute (details; due 9/10) (posted 6/29)
- Plasma Protein Therapeutics Association (PPTA) seeks Medical Director (link) (posted 6/28)
- Postdoc position available in Hopkins Brain Institute (link) (posted 6/22)
- Three postdoctoral research fellow positions in regulation of normal and malignant hematopoiesis at Karolinska Institutet (link) (posted 5/03)
- Data management consultant JHU (link) (posted 5/11)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
- Senior Level Research Fellow Position “Causes and consequences of genome instability in human cancers”, NCI (link) (posted 5/11)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - bone marrow transplantation. (details, contact) (posted 5/18)
- Postdoctoral fellowship- University of Texas medical branch in Galveston is accepting applications for women’s health research (details) (posted 6/08)
- The IRCCS Candiolo (To) Italy is recruiting new PI(details) (posted 6/08)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.