Library Assistant Job Description
Job Title: Library Assistant
Type of Position: Part-Time
Mondays 8:30-3:30 (with half hour unpaid meal break)
Wednesdays 11:30-8:00 (with one hour unpaid meal break)
Fridays 11:30-5:00 (with half hour unpaid meal break)
Total Weekly Hours: 19
Essential Values of All Christian County Library Employees
All employees of Christian County Library are expected to accept the following values:
Customer Service: Responds to the needs of customers and staff.
Respect: Courteous, reliable, and dependable.
Positive Attitude: Represents the library to customers and staff in a positive manner;
promotes a positive work environment
Accountability: Holds one’s self accountable for actions and decision
Innovation and Initiative: Ability and willingness to complete assigned tasks
Teamwork: Ability to work on a team
- High school diploma or GED
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills- written and oral
- Basic computer skills- familiar with using internet, Microsoft Office Suite products, email
- Excellent people skills
- Reliable, responsible, dependable, honest, organized, quick learner
- Working knowledge of reader interest levels, book, authors, and reference sources.
- Working knowledge of automated library circulation systems and online databases.
- Working knowledge of print, non-print, digital, and online information sources available from a wide variety of sources, including publishers, the Internet, and library and vendor-based systems.
- Ability to develop or demonstrate the necessary supervisory, decision-making, leadership, team-building, strategic, conflict resolution, and marketing skills.
- Ability to set priorities and coordinate multiple projects.
- Ability to successfully maintain performance of assigned duties and responsibilities to achieve the desired outcome.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing, and by listening.
- Ability to interact in a positive, effective manner with coworkers, Director, and general public.
- Ability to perform with minimum of supervision, to work collaboratively in a team environment, and to demonstrate professional standards, good judgment, dependability, and timeliness in work environments.
- Ability to adapt to multiple demands and changing priorities, to learn, and be willing to embrace change. Remains flexible.
- Ability to present ideas and provide instruction. Comfortable with teaching and use of various forms of technology.
- Be able to lift 20 lbs
- Be able to bend over and pick up books for up to 8 hours
- Must be able to provide three non-family references
The follows are the job responsibilities for this position. They are divided into categories with assigned duties that are specific to each section.
Job Responsibility No. 1: Circulation of Library Materials & Monetary Transactions
- Check out library materials to cardholders as set by library policies
- Check in returned materials and processing items appropriately
- Evaluate the condition of items upon return; Check audiovisual materials for all components; Assessing damage on items and charging people for damaged items
- Collect payments on overdue, damaged, lost items
- Issue receipts for monetary transactions
- Collect money for printout and copies
Job Responsibility No. 2: Place Holds on Materials for Patrons
- Assist patrons with the use of library online catalog, reference materials, internet and library databases
- Guide them through the shelving arrangement to locate materials
- Assist patrons in placing a hold on desired item
- Submit requests for items not owned by Christian County Library via MOBIUS or ILL
- Process holds in the appropriate manner to guarantee arrival and desired pick up location
- Receive and pull holds for materials on the shelf to be put on the holdshelf or to be sent to pick up location
- Process inter-library loans materials in the appropriate manner
Job Responsibility No. 3: Maintain Library Records
- Record daily number of visitors
- Participate in survey of usage of materials
- Maintain holiday closing schedules
- Check in periodicals as they arrive
- Accurately change Sierra status of materials when withdrawing, placing in mending, or sending to technical services for processing tasks
- Accurately change Sierra record of materials when moving from new book location to permanent location
- Register new patrons and issue library cards
- Update library records in Christian County Library ILS software
- Replace lost library cards
- Link library accounts
Job Responsibility No. 4: Processing of Returned Materials
- Accurately and quickly check in returned materials
- Arrange carts so items can be properly reshelved
- Shelf-read, shift, straighten the collection as needed
- Shelve materials as needed
Job Responsibility No. 5: Communication with Co-Workers & Administration
- Effective, timely, thorough, and respectful communication with co-workers in various forms such as, but not limited to: verbally (in person and on phone), written (day notebook, email, message on lockers, etc.), and other forms as dictated by the situation
- Effective, timely, thorough, and respectful communication with Administration on the following topics:
- Scheduling requests; Vacation or PTO submitted in writing via an email 4 weeks in advance
- Absences, including whether or not employee is using leave for time missed
- If there is an issue with a co-worker’s performance
- Procedural changes or issues
- Policy changes or issues
- Other topics not addressed here
- Effective, timely, thorough, and respectful communication with IT on technological issues and use the IT Ticket document when appropriate
Job Responsibility No. 6:Miscellaneous- Such as, but Not Limited To
- Cleaning and dusting, as needed
- Light plumbing/maintenance, as needed
- Assisting patrons with disabilities
- Coming in on days library is closed to empty the book drop, as needed
- Other duties as assigned