Library Assistant Job Description
Job Title: Library Assistant
Type of Position: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Location: Clever Branch
Total Weekly Hours: 20
To Apply: Submit application and resume to email@example.com, or in person or by mail to Ozark Branch, 1005 N. 4th Ave., Ozark, MO 65721 by March 26, 2018.
Essential Values of All Christian County Library Employees
All employees of Christian County Library are expected to accept the following values:
Customer Service: Responds to the needs of customers and staff.
Respect: Courteous, reliable, and dependable.
Positive Attitude: Represents the library to customers and staff in a positive manner;
promotes a positive work environment
Accountability: Holds one’s self accountable for actions and decision
Innovation and Initiative: Ability and willingness to complete assigned tasks
Teamwork: Ability to work on a team
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be available to work all hours the library is open
- Proficient computer, typing, and internet skills
- Some college
- Library experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills- written and oral
- Basic computer skills- familiar with using internet, Microsoft Office Suite products, email
- Excellent people skills
- Reliable, responsible, dependable, honest, organized, quick learner
- Working knowledge of reader interest levels, book, authors, and reference sources.
- Working knowledge of automated library circulation systems and online databases.
- Working knowledge of print, non-print, digital, and online information sources available from a wide variety of sources, including publishers, the Internet, and library and vendor-based systems.
- Ability to develop or demonstrate the necessary supervisory, decision-making, leadership, team-building, strategic, conflict resolution, and marketing skills.
- Ability to set priorities and coordinate multiple projects.
- Ability to successfully maintain performance of assigned duties and responsibilities to achieve the desired outcome.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing, and by listening.
- Ability to interact in a positive, effective manner with coworkers, Director, and general public.
- Ability to perform with minimum of supervision, to work collaboratively in a team environment, and to demonstrate professional standards, good judgment, dependability, and timeliness in work environments.
- Ability to adapt to multiple demands and changing priorities, to learn, and be willing to embrace change. Remains flexible.
- Ability to present ideas and provide instruction. Comfortable with teaching and use of various forms of technology.
- Be able to lift 20 lbs
- Be able to bend over and pick up books for up to 8 hours
- Must be able to provide three non-family references
The follows are the job responsibilities for this position. They are divided into categories with assigned duties that are specific to each section.
Job Responsibility No. 1: Circulation of Library Materials & Monetary Transactions
- Check out library materials to cardholders as set by library policies
- Check in returned materials and processing items appropriately
- Evaluate the condition of items upon return; Check audiovisual materials for all components; Assessing damage on items and charging people for damaged items
- Collect payments on overdue, damaged, lost items
- Issue receipts for monetary transactions
- Collect money for printout and copies
Job Responsibility No. 2: Place Holds on Materials for Patrons
- Assist patrons with the use of library online catalog, reference materials, internet and library databases
- Guide them through the shelving arrangement to locate materials
- Assist patrons in placing a hold on desired item
- Submit requests for items not owned by Christian County Library via MOBIUS or ILL
- Process holds in the appropriate manner to guarantee arrival and desired pick up location
- Receive and pull holds for materials on the shelf to be put on the holdshelf or to be sent to pick up location
- Process inter-library loans materials in the appropriate manner
Job Responsibility No. 3: Maintain Library Records
- Record daily number of visitors
- Participate in survey of usage of materials
- Maintain holiday closing schedules
- Check in periodicals as they arrive
- Accurately change Sierra status of materials when withdrawing, placing in mending, or sending to technical services for processing tasks
- Accurately change Sierra record of materials when moving from new book location to permanent location
- Register new patrons and issue library cards
- Update library records in Christian County Library ILS software
- Replace lost library cards
- Link library accounts
Job Responsibility No. 4: Processing of Returned Materials
- Accurately and quickly check in returned materials
- Arrange carts so items can be properly reshelved
- Shelf-read, shift, straighten the collection as needed
- Shelve materials as needed
Job Responsibility No. 5: Communication with Co-Workers & Administration
- Effective, timely, thorough, and respectful communication with co-workers in various forms such as, but not limited to: verbally (in person and on phone), written (day notebook, email, message on lockers, etc.), and other forms as dictated by the situation
- Effective, timely, thorough, and respectful communication with Administration on the following topics:
- Scheduling requests; Vacation or PTO submitted in writing via an email 4 weeks in advance
- Absences, including whether or not employee is using leave for time missed
- If there is an issue with a co-worker’s performance
- Procedural changes or issues
- Policy changes or issues
- Other topics not addressed here
- Effective, timely, thorough, and respectful communication with IT on technological issues and use the IT Ticket document when appropriate
Job Responsibility No. 6:Miscellaneous- Such as, but Not Limited To
- Cleaning and dusting, as needed
- Light plumbing/maintenance, as needed
- Assisting patrons with disabilities
- Coming in on days library is closed to empty the book drop, as needed
- Other duties as assigned