PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Spring dates!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates: Feb. 11th, Mar. 11th, Apr. 15th, May. 13th, Jun. 10th, 2015
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
Your Research Career: Winter Intersession
Where: West Lecture Hall, 1st floor Preclinical Teaching Building
When: January 5 - 9 (details below)
Intensive five-day course that introduces JHMI trainees to scientific communication.
- Monday/Tuesday: how to apply for your first NIH or other peer-reviewed grant
- Wednesday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm; covers aspects of Research Leadership, including Project Management (from 12:30 - 3:30 pm; rescheduled from Fall 2014 Research Leadership)
- Thursday: how to write a research paper
- Friday: how to plan, organize and deliver an effective research talk or poster, including appropriate design and use of graphics
Additional Professional Development Events:
ICTR Information Session: What Can the ICTR Do for You?
The Johns Hopkins Institute for Clinical and Translational Research is launching a series of monthly information sessions to discuss the variety of resources which are available to researchers, faculty, students and study coordinators.
Gerald Moose Stacy, Administrative Director of the ICTR will give an overview of ICTR services, including funding opportunities and interest groups, and hold a question and answer session following the presentation. Subsequent sessions will focus on specific programs and cores.
Where: Tilghman Auditorium
When: January 5th, 10:30 - 11:30 am
For more information contact, Crystal Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
2015 Delta Omega Poster Competition for School of Public Health fellows
The Delta Omega Alpha Chapter gives cash awards for first ($500), second ($300) and third ($200) prizes in three categories: 1) policy and practice, 2) applied research (epidemiologic public health research), and 3) laboratory research (basic science research). The Chapter selects one of the first-place winners to present his or her poster at the annual APHA meeting.
Abstract submission deadline: January 19
For more details, click here (for SPH postdocs only)
Welch Library Courses
- The Welch Medical Library is hosting a set of workshops presented by staff from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), including: an introductory look at core databases, an overview of medical genetics resources, and a hands-on exploration of tools for computational biology.
Where: Tilghman Auditorium
When: January 26th (times below)
10:00 - 11:30 am NCBI Basic Resources: They Contain More Than You Thought They Did
12:00 - 1:15 pm NCBI Health Resources for Clinicians and Clinical Researchers
2:30 - 4:00 pm NCBI Resources for Genomically-minded Computational Biologists and Bioinformaticians
- The Welch Medical Library offers the classes and lectures for our faculty, staff and students. Find more information here.
Commercialization Academy, internship opportunity for postdocs
Click here for more information.
- Registration for the National Postdoctoral Association 2015 Annual Meeting is now open (link)
- The Dan David Prize scholarship ($15K; due 3/10/15, application link; for details about selected fields of interest, click here)
- Research Study, paid participation: Physical & Mental Fatigue Study (link)
- Request for guest editors for Biochemistry Insights Journal (contact Mariana Figuera Losada)
- Association of Women in Science is recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (more info; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)