Capital Project Proposal Overview
On March 30, 2017, the Board of Education voted to reduce the scope of the Capital Project from $196.4 million dollars to $106.3 million dollars. The community will vote on the revised Capital Project on May 16, 2017. The revised project includes security upgrades to all buildings K--12, addition and renovation work necessary for the conversion of the 7--8 junior high school to a 6--8 middle school, additional classroom space at Boght Hills, additional music classrooms and special education classrooms throughout the elementary buildings, enhanced library/media centers at all elementary schools, science and technology labs at all elementary schools, as well as site and field work on the Shaker High School/Shaker Junior High School campus.
Construction Timelines and Safety
- Construction will begin summer 2018 at the middle school and three elementary schools (Blue Creek, Boght Hills, and Southgate)
- The remainder of the elementary schools (Forts Ferry, Latham Ridge, and Loudonville) and the high school will start in 2020.
- We anticipate the 6th grade to move in the fall of 2020. There will still be renovations to be completed during the summer of 2021.
- A detailed construction schedule will be developed as the design is developed. In general, additions will be built as swing space and then occupied as major areas are renovated.Renovation will be done off hours and during summers or will be completed during the school year in areas that can be isolated from the school population per NYSED regulations.
- Several comprehensive measures will be taken to ensure the safety of students including:
- separation of students and construction by hard barriers
- strict compliance with New York State Education Department Regulations 155.5. Refer to the New York State Education Department website at www.nysed.gov for a detailed description of these requirements.
- establishment of a health and safety committee to review construction
- robust communication and coordination between the project team and district administration