

# Technical Steering Committee - 2025/09/24 08:22 CDT - Transcript

## Attendees

Adam Dean, Alexander Moser, Benjamin Hart, Christian Taylor, Fergie Miller, Jonathan Kelly, Kevin Hammond, Nicolas Biri, Ryan Williams, Terence McCutcheon

## Transcript

**Kevin Hammond:** Good afternoon, Charlie. How you doing?

**Jonathan Kelly:** All right.

**Jonathan Kelly:** I think my friends in the hospital have been going back and forth to visit him and doing stuff for him. I looked after his dog over the weekend, stayed at his house.

**Kevin Hammond:** All right.

**Kevin Hammond:** It's good.

**Jonathan Kelly:** So, I've been doing other stuff beyond looking after mom, looking after other things.

**Kevin Hammond:** Good to break.

**Jonathan Kelly:** Yeah, it was nice to spend the night away from home. for once.

**Jonathan Kelly:** Yeah. Yeah.

**Kevin Hammond:** So, I've pasted the agenda into the chat.

**Kevin Hammond:** Was there anything you want?

**Jonathan Kelly:** It popped up immediately on logging in. So that's nice. Pin. No.

**Kevin Hammond:** Was there anything you wanted to add to that? Johnny.

**Jonathan Kelly:** No. Yeah.

**Kevin Hammond:** Okay, we're just wait for the others to join them.

**Jonathan Kelly:** Is there any kind of an event that would make them go? Here's Woo.

**Kevin Hammond:** Hi Tax. Hi Ben. Hi Christian.

**Christian Taylor:** Hello.

**Benjamin Hart:** Hey

**Nicolas Biri:** No.

**Kevin Hammond:** So Neil sends his apologies and Sebastian may not join. Mark Marcus I'm not sure about. I think he might be traveling. is there any of you want to add to the agenda? Christian, I put your name against the security incident manager post

**Christian Taylor:** Yeah, happy to talk to that.

**Kevin Hammond:** Great. Hi, Alex. How you doing?

**Alexander Moser:** Hi. Are you Thank you.

**Christian Taylor:** I like your avatar,

**Kevin Hammond:** So, we'll just wait a minute for anyone late to join.

**Terence McCutcheon:** Did anyone respond back to Fergie? I know I didn't get a chance to.

**Nicolas Biri:** I pinged him but I didn't have any answers. So maybe it was just away and...

**Terence McCutcheon:** Okay.

**Nicolas Biri:** I think it was a pretty short notice. So maybe he didn't get the update. if it's the case we can probably postpone it for next week.

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah, if...

**Kevin Hammond:** if we convene next week, we'll need to have a discussion about that. I afraid I didn't catch it. I was away from after the last meeting. So I only picked it up this morning. So let's start steering committee meeting of the 24th of September 2025. we have six voting members present.

00:05:00

**Kevin Hammond:** So by my estimate agenda for today is pasted into the chat. one has raised any additional issues. so first item which may be postponed was for Fergie Miller to give us an update on the major reports.

**Nicolas Biri:** It's

**Kevin Hammond:** proposes to hold that back for a later meeting unless Fergie turns up at some point. Christian or text were there any actions arising from previous meeting.

**Terence McCutcheon:** Let me check here.

**Terence McCutcheon:** Let's see Revised wording for the candidate application questions. That's been handled. That was for committee summary of no diversity workshop is on metadata for governance action. I believe that's also on the agenda here today. dedicated discussion in the SIP editors discord to discuss the LEOCIP. That may also be on the agenda. let's see here. Hard fork working group which we'll continue to work on.

**Nicolas Biri:** All right.

**Terence McCutcheon:** Nicholas is going to take a lead on proposal for release calendar and then Adam and Sebastian be the voice of the TSC working with developers promoting the idea of the release calendar.

**Kevin Hammond:** So, we'll cover it later, Nicola, but we had a discussion at the no diversity workshop about the release calendar. So, I can give you some feedback from that when we get to the appropriate point. Fergie has joined us. You're just in time, Fergie, for your five minute hall of fame slot. Please go ahead if you're ready and...

**Fergie Miller:** Yeah, just give me for being a few minutes late. I just wanted to give everyone an update.

**Kevin Hammond:** no problem. It's good you to join at short notice.

**Fergie Miller:** Here we go. Great. So, thank you for making a few minutes available. I know you have a lot going on and lots to discuss, but I just wanted to give everyone an update on the research work program for 2025. this is hopefully the first year of a five-year program under Kadano Vision covers nine focus areas and a total of 34 research streams.

**Fergie Miller:** and typically research will publish a paper with supporting artifacts. we'll then hand that over to the web3 innovation team that Nicholas leads and they will do prototyping formal methods specifications etc. and then hand that over to engineering. so that's our sort of evidence-based methodology as it were. each year we are committing to 20 research outputs. So, that's 20 research papers published and then six innovation streams. So, that then sort of forms a funnel.

**Fergie Miller:** If you look at that over five years, that's a funnel of 100 research outputs of which 30 are then prioritized into innovation to be handed over to an engineering team from the ecosystem to develop and build through to typically in terms of our reporting each year we're committing to two a reporting cycle that has two main reports. one is a mid-year report and...

**Nicolas Biri:** Of course.

**Fergie Miller:** then one is an endofear report. So the midyear report is a bit behind this year because it took a bit longer to get everything funded and approved. so it was really just to sort of lift the midyear reports off the page to you. so we're increasingly using the Kadano forum and looking at other platforms and channels to communicate and disseminate with the community. so here's our midyear report on the Kadano forum. If I open that up, here's the report itself. So the report is designed to be a standalone document, but obviously it references the proposal.

00:10:00

**Fergie Miller:** so there's a bit of a recap at the top around the evidence-based methodology that I outlined how research works. So we start with a problem statement. We abstract and formally model we do solution design and security proofs and then we document and peer review. here's the sort of nine focus areas under Kadano vision. and then we summarize within each focus area develop the main work streams that we've prioritized for 2025 and the progress on each of those. for individual work streams we provide an overview a cont some context and objectives and then a summary of the work performed and main achievements.

**Fergie Miller:** reporting at a deliverables level. So that for research is the papers. and then we also finish with a summarization of why that's beyond state-of-the-art. So we do that for each of the research streams within the report. We've also sort of requested three change requests. So this is three streams that are developing better than the ones that we initially outlined. that can be because of resourcing constraints because of working at risk or actually improved prioritization from a market perspective or actually that the deliverables research has an inherent risk because it's early stage. So that actually these research streams have made better progress.

**Fergie Miller:** So we were sort of requesting to bring forward decentralized storage for smart contracts state proofs and blockchain bridges under interchains and then the zero knowledge workstream which sits across a lot of the other work that we do. we also sort of summarize how we're disseminating and communicating. So we've got the IOHK channels here. we're doing monthly Kadano R&D sessions. we've actually got our next one tomorrow on Our Boris when Agalos is presenting Oraoris Omega and William Wolf is presenting all the work in Laos under the innovation stream and a summary of some of the research conferences that we've attended. And then down at the bottom we've got the table of deliverables.

**Fergie Miller:** So I know we're committed to 20 research outputs. We've actually got 28 research papers that we think we're going to be able to deliver this year. So this is even more 40% over what we've committed to. But there's a summary of all the papers that are either under submission in progress published. If I then switch over to the technology validation report, very similar the executive summary on the Kadano forum. and then we've got the actual document itself so again at this top there's an executive summary and there's a recap of the evidence-based approach. It outlines what the technology validation team does.

**Fergie Miller:** So pe and they specify including with sits and they provide any supportive tooling. I will provide the links. Yep. we then provide a summary at each technology validation workstream level and then again a similar process for the individual workstream reporting. an overview, context and objectives, work performed, a summary of the deliverables, typically public repositories, sort of a comment on state-of-the-art and then also a pathway to impact which sort of gives a nod towards engineering and product which we then support afterwards. so that's sort of the technology validation report. we obviously in the appendix also reference the proposal documents.

**Fergie Miller:** so we submitted these reports to intersect at the end of August. we're now coming to the end of a three-week period consultation period where we've invited community feedback. We've disseminated these via Reddit, via Kadano 360, via Discord, as many channels as we can to get this out to the key stakeholders who we think it's most relevant for. and now we're just in the process of finalizing these reports. we'll publish them into PDF and then we'll circulate them in downloadable versions to the community. So, I just wanted to sort of bring that to everyone's attention. This is us formally reporting a midyear milestone. there's lots of work that's going on. I know it might open up lots of sort of individual discussion threads, but at a high level, we're on track to deliver what we've promised and there's some really exciting work coming through.

00:15:00

**Fergie Miller:** and yeah, I'll pause there, Adam.

**Adam Dean:** Yeah just I guess two clarifying questions. is this amount of work outputs for those unfamiliar with the previous work streams more or less or on par with the kind of the outputs that we've seen over the last eight years or...

**Adam Dean:** that have led us to where we are today essentially. and then the other question is there any intent to make those change requests a formal onchain governance request or is it just kind of notice that you guys are pivoting and the community be damned for lack of more a softer way to put it?

**Fergie Miller:** I so to answer your first point,... we average about 30 to 35 papers a year I would say in terms of outputs. so we've committed to 20 under Kadano vision. we don't exclusively work on Kadano vision. We have other research programs that are ongoing internally so our total output is about the same. however we have now carved out and specified a dedicated research program for Kadano. so the team has remained largely stable. The body of work is sort of broadly consistent. but now we have a clearer focus on what's Kadano specific. so I hope that answers your first question. In terms of your second comment, the way that we've structured our proposal was we commit to 20 research outputs.

**Fergie Miller:**

**Fergie Miller:** however we make a reference to managing a portfolio. so what I mean by that is research is early stage. It's inherently risky. there's lots of things that change including the market. and we report formally during the year and we have to submit proposals each year. So there are formal milestones where we are reviewed by the community but because of this portfol we ask for a portfolio approach because what we're saying is that as researchers like we would like to manage the portfolio in a certain way and if one line of investigation reaches a dead end we can then flip those resources into another line of investigation which we think is more worthwhile.

**Fergie Miller:** So there is a degree of trust that we know how best to manage research but we make a point of being formally transparent and accountable periodically through the year and through ongoing discussions in between those periodic milestones. so I hope that sort of addresses most of your remarks, great. yeah, Jonathan,...

**Jonathan Kelly:** You said you had a delivery requirement of 20, but you delivered 28. Is that true?

**Fergie Miller:** we're on track to deliver in 28. Yeah. so we're delivering over and above our Yep.

**Jonathan Kelly:** And are you delivering over and above under the same budget? Okay, that's interesting. Thank you.

**Kevin Hammond:** So I just wanted to point out that Insight is developing a 2030 vision for Cardano and obviously it's very important that we get alignment with the work that's being done in the research team with vision and that we carry forward the right work items.

**Kevin Hammond:** Are you aware of the vision? have you had an opportunity to provide input into that?

**Fergie Miller:** Yeah,...

**Fergie Miller:** we're aware of it and we aligned the product committee released a 25 2025 vision as well which we have aligned all the work streams to. we've been waiting for this 2030 vision for quite some time perhaps I dare say from loG as well prior to intersect and we much welcome it. So we've had this discussion with the product committee once we have that vision innovation works best when you have

demand pool and tech push or science push and you create that melting pot of great ideas and there might be some tech that is so paramount like oracles that you're going you do it whatever and there might be other work streams that are purely from the market and then there's the range in between.

00:20:00

**Fergie Miller:** So we welcome that discussion. We're looking for an improved decision-making process about what innovation streams or technology validation streams are prioritized because the scientific vision really builds the foundation so that when one sees an opportunity you're not starting from scratch...

**Fergie Miller:** but you can get something into market within a year or two rather than three to five years. So the science builds the foundation and then we have this discussion with the community and via intersect and other forums about what work is prioritized to bring forward into engineering.

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah. Yeah.

**Fergie Miller:** So yeah, we're aware of that and we welcome that discussion.

**Kevin Hammond:** Obvious but obviously there's a range of research you're doing. Not all research is basic research. Some of it is very short-term research. so that needs to be driven by strong direction from the community of course.

**Fergie Miller:**

**Fergie Miller:** So we've always done that. I think we're looking to try and formalize that but for example we were invited by MIT 50 to review their work around tokenomics which we've done. We're reviewing work around Midgard. same for Bitcoin DeFi. So we do provide support on innovation stream. So it's already happening. but yeah I take your point. we can get better and we look forward to working more collaboratively on that.

**Kevin Hammond:** Adam, can you've been tracking the 2030 vision progress? I think you were at the most recent meeting. do you know what the status is on that for Fergie and...

**Kevin Hammond:** for anyone listening into this discussion?

**Adam Dean:** Yeah. ...

**Adam Dean:** there's going to be a series of review workshops for the draft. starting next week in Singapore, and then going over to Osaka, Tokyo, and then I'm actually going to be hosting one with Juan from the product committee in Barcelona in mid-october. But I believe that is slated to go on to the chain around November for formal community acceptance, assuming there's no major revisions at this point.

**Fergie Miller:** Yeah, that's our understanding as well and...

**Fergie Miller:** obviously been sitting in the product committee for since its inception. So, yeah, good to see it finally we've seen an early draft and look forward to getting a final draft once it's gone through the community feedback process.

**Kevin Hammond:** And just to just clarify,...

**Fergie Miller:** Sure.

**Kevin Hammond:** Fergie, this provision is not owned by the product committee per say they've been driving the effort. but this is owned by Intersect as a whole. So it's not just a product efficient.

**Fergie Miller:** And obviously it's communitydriven largely as well, but yeah, I think we're on the same page.

**Kevin Hammond:** So I'm conscious that we've got other items we should discuss.

**Kevin Hammond:** I'd quite like you to tell me what the two or three most significant achievements have been in terms of the research outputs. if you could, that would be interesting. So what do you think is most important?

**Fergie Miller:** I think I know it's probably a discussion for today,...

**Fergie Miller:** but the layoffs innovation stream I think is a significant milestone. so I think that's probably the most notable we have brought forward the zero knowledge workstream that there have been a number of papers there particularly the one on UC snarks that was published at crypto 25 and I would also say there's strong progress

**Fergie Miller:** if I look at the papers, there's a number of them, most of them on or on or Boris and there's a number of on sort of interchains as well. So, I think, those two areas are where that there's been the sort of the most exciting research that's come through too.

**Kevin Hammond:** Great. So,...

**Kevin Hammond:** so the meeting tomorrow you said that the research meeting that's an open meeting.

**Fergie Miller:** Yeah, I'll drop a link in the chat.

**Fergie Miller:** It's our monthly Kadano R&D session which is how recent and...

**Kevin Hammond:** Great. Yeah.

**Fergie Miller:** and yeah I'll share the link.

**Kevin Hammond:** So hopefully some of the TSC members will be able to join that meeting. Thank you very much.

**Fergie Miller:** Thank you.

**Kevin Hammond:** So great progress. good start. So the next item on the agenda was to revisit feedback on the layoff SIP. so Adam or Nicholas, you want to take that?

**Nicolas Biri:** I can take that. But the thing is I'm not sure there's been a lot of progress since last week I think we are just at the stage where each TSC member is supposed to do his homework read the SIP and then I think there's a bunch of meeting where we could discuss the SE details and agree on what should be the position or at least could I frame it actually the outcomes that the TSC takes from the discussion with the team and then probably come to a conclusion of what do we want to present to the community as a high level description of the off of linear layers.

00:25:00

**Kevin Hammond:** So there was good discussion in Tulu's about linear layoffs yesterday. So I was present at that. So that was very interesting. so I think what we had agreed was there's a SIP editors meeting next week. So we'll circulate the details of that and it would be good to get representation from the TSC at that. And then we've got the next monthly layoffs meeting is next Wednesday. It's October the 1st. It conflicts with the timing of this meeting. So we have a decision to make the future meetings on Laos could be moved.

**Kevin Hammond:** But if members want to attend the next layoffs monthly meeting which I think is probably a good idea given the state of development and the importance to the community then what we would need to do would be to either cancel this meeting next week or else reschedule it for another day. so what do who would want to go to the layoffs monthly meeting next week? Adam. Okay,...

**Adam Dean:** I was just going to add that I will not be able to attend either meeting because I will be in Singapore. So that either one is acceptable from my perspective.

**Kevin Hammond:** Ben, Johnny, Alex

**Alexander Moser:** should be fine. Yeah, I'm not in Singapore, unfortunately. Yep.

**Kevin Hammond:** I think we could also shift the start of this meeting back by 30 minutes...

**Benjamin Hart:** Yeah,...

**Kevin Hammond:** if that worked.

**Benjamin Hart:** that's fine.

**Kevin Hammond:** Let me I'll double check the timings with Sebastian. I think we could probably shut it back by 30 minutes. Do we have agreement to do that if time is pressing we can always cut this meeting short next week. Brim. So let's do that. We'll start late next week.

**Kevin Hammond:** Duncan, sorry.

**Adam Dean:** And to that end real quick, Kevin, one thing that I would like is if possible, people have a bad habit of having all these little conversations like you mentioned at the node diversity workshop, a bunch of nerds that are very close to this all got together and they had a good conversation about it, but that doesn't necessarily translate to the larger community realizing what was said or what happened during those discussions. And so yeah, the intent has been at least that I've been pushing for is that the technical steering committee can serve as the guides for the community to help explain what's going on with this layout. Why is it different?

**Adam Dean:** And just so that way the community as a whole can understand those tradeoffs and decisions that have been made for whatever reasons they have in a way that we can act as kind of that gobetween between the rank and file and the very highly technical theoretical mathematicians and researchers and things like that that we have writing papers. So it's all well and good. I've heard that just a couple of times during recent kind of contentious discussions. we took it to D what finally changed somebody's mind about it? how did we get people on side? it would be great to capture those outputs and we have this great facility through the CIP process and the conversations there.



**Adam Dean:** So I would hope to get some of that documented there for posterity so we can understand how those decisions got arrived at.

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah, we certainly should be able to do that for layoffs,...

**Kevin Hammond:** It's striking. this is a major technical issue that we can and should highlight to the community. we'll come on to the diversity meeting later, but there's going to be a summary produced by the organizer of the meeting. the problem is that it is only a summary and it won't cover all of the details and to cover all the details does need some evaluation some synthesis from different sources.

00:30:00

**Kevin Hammond:** So you're quite right that doing that is some way we can provide value to the community. Absolutely. Great. so we had put the slot battle discussion on the agenda because Duncan Coots had asked us to add it to the agenda. Duncan isn't here today. So we'll postpone that to the next meeting. we've started to mention the no diversity workshop. I was hoping that Sebastian or Marcus would be here to give their view, their perspective. I was the workshop for the first day was largely covering antithesis. This is the testing tool that CF has been promoting for the Amaru tool.

**Kevin Hammond:** so sorry for the AMRO node. so there will be a summary of what was discussed there. we raised issues to do with the role of the security council and the technical steering committee with the members with the attendees of the workshop including Nicola the release schedule. So I'll cover that in a second.

**Kevin Hammond:** we want to open up the security council to consider how to manage security across diverse node implementations because obviously there are new issues that arise if we have multiple nodes involved in running on Cardano mainnet and security concerns were one of the key issues. that the node developers raised as being important for mainnet readiness. So there's a role that the security council and the TSC can serve in the helping to set standards for nodes to reach mainnet and providing advice and input on security procedures.

**Kevin Hammond:** so I mentioned discussion of layoffs it's quite about an hour or two discussion on linear layoffs based basically a run of the current design including there have been some very late breaking changes so if you've downloaded the set more than a few days ago it's now slightly out of date I'm afraid so you to go back and check it. So the layoffs design is progressing rapidly and obviously all the node developers are paying attention to that. the Cardano node the Huscoll node developers are getting ready to start on the implementation. but obviously there's still some design decisions being taken at this point in time.

**Kevin Hammond:** So we're not at a stage where we've got a completely final design to be worked on. So anything's done now. It's going to be preliminary and might need to be revised later. The release schedule so we had discussion of our regular release schedule. the suggestion that was arrived at was that we could have four collection points throughout a year with only two of them being used. and then discussion centered around if we're going to do that what we then need to do is to work backwards. so we need to allow for tooling to upgrade.

**Kevin Hammond:** all the node developers to reach a consistent position in terms of the implementation of their nodes for the hard fork. we need to make constitutional changes perhaps where we're entering a

new era where new parameters being introduced. So this whole raft of things that we have to deal with in the new world that we're entering into. so what we will need to do is to coordinate this very carefully. And what we won't be able to do we suspect is to have hard forks quite soon after the node development has completed as has happened in the past.

00:35:00

**Kevin Hammond:** So we think there's going to be a longer latency and this will be necessary to iron out inconsistencies between node implementations for example. So that's one of the changes that's going to be made. The other thing that we're going to have to do is to start to discuss scope earlier. So there will need to be an early scope discussion. what we are developing layoffs for example roughly when will it be ready and node developers will need to coordinate on that this is somewhere where in secular the TSC and the hard working group can help out so initial scope determination rough early stage planning then what will happen is we will get closer to a hard fork date and we

**Kevin Hammond:** need to firm up on the scope. what SIPs are going to be included, what is going to be excluded, and then there will need to be a final cut where if something isn't working and we're getting to the stage where we're intending to have a hard fork, then we cut items that aren't ready yet, postpone them to the next hard fork. or alternatively if something comes in very late and is working we will need to do that at that point. So that was roughly how the discussion went. so one of the things that I will try to progress is to write down all of these different stages are that all the different things that are needed for a hard fork so we can provide that as input for the hard fork working group.

**Kevin Hammond:** The bad news Nicola is there was a lot of division in the room between those...

**Kevin Hammond:** who wanted a timebased release schedule and those who didn't. So the people who didn't were the ledger and consensus team didn't want timebased releases. they preferred feature-based releases.

**Nicolas Biri:** Yeah, That's weird...

**Nicolas Biri:** because I mean first it's probably not the most impacted team by this and second in their case very likely what will happen is that we will probably have a schedule release for test net and then a feature release for mainnet. Meaning that basically especially for something like Leos you probably want to have a first release that is Leos is ready for test net and then the next stage is yes no at the next art fork Leos ready will be ready for mainnet if everything goes well during the test net.

**Nicolas Biri:** So for them it's probably even easier than from for other team because there's this at least two stages where you just go to test net first and...

**Nicolas Biri:** then to mannet but I think it probably means that we need to have a discussion with them and...

**Kevin Hammond:** The other node implementers haven't got to the stage of thinking about it.

**Nicolas Biri:** also with was the feedback more positive from the other node implementers So, they don't face this problem yet.

**Kevin Hammond:** They're not facing the problem yet.

**Nicolas Biri:** Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. That's true.

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah,...

**Nicolas Biri:** That's true. At the moment, they're trying to catch up. They're not yet at the state where they need to deal with the new features. So, yeah, it simplifies a bit the thing on their hand. I agree.

**Kevin Hammond:** in particular what the Amor team is doing is they're working from a snap snapshot which captures the ledger state immediately prior to Conway and what they're expecting to do is to two errors and then to discard the code base for previous notes. So they're not going to have a node that is capable of covering all errors.

**Nicolas Biri:** But that being said, I also understand that as we discussed last time, there's pros and cons again from a fixed release schedule compared to a featurebased schedule.

00:40:00

**Nicolas Biri:** So I can understand that people have a different point of view and at some point we just need to gather the pros and the cons and decide on one or the other and obviously not everybody will be happy with the decision. but yeah at some point the community itself should take the final decision probably.

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah. Yes.

**Nicolas Biri:** Yeah they're done.

**Kevin Hammond:** So the discussion said and...

**Kevin Hammond:** discussion recognized the value to the community of having a fixed schedule particularly to developers who are not the core developer team.

**Kevin Hammond:** to DAP developers and...

**Nicolas Biri:** Relaxing is perhaps a bit hard.

**Kevin Hammond:** and so on of knowing that they can basically relax and not have to worry about some random schedule and not have to worry about things like holiday schedules, etc. no, no. I think some pe so some groups so those...

**Kevin Hammond:** who are more downstream Nicola. Yeah.

**Nicolas Biri:** Yeah. Yeah.

**Nicolas Biri:** No, no, but x is probably not the good term, but yes, a bit more relaxed probably. Yes. Adam, I'm sorry. you have your hands on since pretty good long time.

**Adam Dean:** Yeah, I just wanted to point out from very recent firsthand experience with the Ledger and some of these other teams and the specific words that were used to approach them would have a large impact on their acceptance or outright refusal for it. So telling them we're going to aim for two different time periods for hard forks throughout the year doesn't mean we expect you to have two hard fork ready releases every single year like clockwork every six months.

**Kevin Hammond:** Hey, Yep.

**Adam Dean:** So just firsthand experience with Alexi and some of the other people that I guarantee were in that room pushing back against this idea. It's probably just we have to couch it correctly and...

**Nicolas Biri:** Nothing. But I think it might be one of the reason...

**Adam Dean:** and get them to understand we're only going to still hard fork when they're ready, but we're going to do it at these two time periods through the year and not just randomly in December when they feel like it's a good time to mint to release. Right. that'll have to wait until April whatever the case happens to be.

**Jonathan Kelly:** That is to say...

**Adam Dean:** Whatever the case is.

**Jonathan Kelly:** if they miss the vote that they missed the vote until the next

**Adam Dean:** Yeah. Yeah.

**Nicolas Biri:** why they are a bit reluctant about it because if I remember correctly They like to have basically a feature branch policy on beta. Meaning that they are working on a feature when the feature is ready they are merging it. And the fact that at some point they may have to keep a long running branch...

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah. I don't

**Nicolas Biri:** because something is unready is probably not the best for developer team. So it could also explain why your developer team won't be happy about it. It's just that if it's good from a community perspective, we need to find a mitigation between what is good for the development team and what is good for the community.

**Adam Dean:** Yeah, and I'll just, again for the record go on to say that I view very much the past eight years of IO's development process being source available and not open source and spirit. so a lot of these guys are very used to it's my team and I get to control the Cardano ledger with an iron fist even though they are a contractor working on behalf of and paid for by the Cardano community. so I think we just have to massage that perception of the relationship a little bit and then get everybody used to what the new normal is, and of course that's going to be a little bit contentious while we go through it, because we're just changing up corporate culture a little bit.

**Adam Dean:** And so that it's to be expected, but I think we'll get there. I think the juice is worth the squeeze in the long run.

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah. ...

**Kevin Hammond:** we definitely need the discussion to work out what the issues were. This was a very short poll that I was able to make. so obviously concern about longunning feature branches Nicola but if we have multiple nodes under development that's going to happen anyway because not all nodes will be ready at the same time and we will have to make patches changes to the node based on what we discover inter regarding interoperability with other notes.

**Kevin Hammond:** So we may be a while off being in that position but it's definitely going to happen. I think the other concern may be that the teams will come under a lot of pressure to get things ready for the collection point.

**Nicolas Biri:** Come on.

**Nicolas Biri:** on.

**Kevin Hammond:** So that's something we'll have to be aware of. So if you know that one of the possible points is say 6 months out and the next one is say 9 months out if you miss the deadline for the six month version you've inevitably got a three-month delay for the following one. and obviously there could be pressure then to complete the development and secure software doesn't work best under development pressure.

00:45:00

**Kevin Hammond:** So we need to do that properly but equally we do have to have enough time for people to do the testing and we do have to allow enough time for the community the constitutional committee the DREPs the SPOS's to evaluate the proposal and...

**Kevin Hammond:** as I was saying for any constitutional changes to be proposed and put forward to the community as well. say yeah.

**Nicolas Biri:** But yeah,...

**Nicolas Biri:** I think it's also where this idea of first we release for test net, then we release for mainnet is important because it means that yes, if you're a bit under pressure and if you rush to have something integrated, there's still this cool investment period to bulletproof what has been done as well. and it's also that probably we need to move to a culture...

**Kevin Hammond:** Absolut absolutely.

**Nicolas Biri:** where if we miss a deadline, we miss a deadline and it will be in the next one.

**Kevin Hammond:** So happy to discuss if there's any other questions about the no diversity workshop or I'm happy to discuss that further with people either privately or...

**Kevin Hammond:** or in next As I said, we expect there will be a summary report produced by the organizers. So they were taking notes throughout the sessions. Brilliant. next item on the agenda was the security manager role which is being promoted by the security council.

**Nicolas Biri:** Thank you.

**Kevin Hammond:** So Kristen, you promised to speak to that. we've all been able to take a look at the role the job advert and...

**Kevin Hammond:** hopefully the job description as well.

**Christian Taylor:** Yeah. ...

**Christian Taylor:** and I think if the former cadence wasn't enough to help justify what this role will assist with, basically security operations intersect is very, very immature, bare bones, and outside of myself, there's not a dedicated body for this and I'm one of the most overstretched people working. so this is a person just for structure and cadence that will come in as a security incident officer, set up processes in place, be the point person for the security council and integration stuff to allow for anonymity if the council chooses it. and help structure us within 12 months that maybe we need the role next year, maybe we don't. and help us GitHub operation security stuff too as we need it.

**Christian Taylor:** So we need more than just the telephone game. And so a big part of this role is going to be forming partnerships with entities and actual teams doing a lot of the monitoring work. and appointing the security council to be the head as the steward of with intersect being the steward of the HASLL core. we need the security council to be that authority to help escalate these issues and handle them rather than it just being one lead dev without any informing anyone.

**Christian Taylor:** What's up?

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah. ...

**Kevin Hammond:** if the very watching the call the goal here is to appoint a security officer within intersect whose role will be to coordinate policies procedures and responses to any security incidents and as I was just discussing from the node diversity workshop that shouldn't be just the node question it's going to have to be

**Kevin Hammond:** for Cardano mainnet.

**Christian Taylor:** Yeah, basically they need to form an ecosystem partnership for this whole process is the primary remit.

**Kevin Hammond:** And one of the early responsibilities will be to coordinate the disaster recovery fire drill that we have been discussing.

**Christian Taylor:** So, to answer the concern, no, they won't be by the phone 247 just waiting for a call. I wish it was that

**Kevin Hammond:** I think so. You're making it clear they're not just sitting around waiting for things to do, Christian. there's a lot of work that has to be done. and...

00:50:00

**Kevin Hammond:** equally one person is not going to find 247 support. so what we would expect is that this person is the they're doing the main coordination but other team members would need to be involved.

**Christian Taylor:** Yeah. and...

**Christian Taylor:** I can lead pioneering calls with the ecosystem partners, but this person's going to be the one to follow through, make sure all the eyes and tees are crossed to get that development support. and as y'all can see too, we do need someone from Intersect to help handle this. We do have available bodies for backup support, but now that Matt Davis has stepped away too to focus on the smart contracts, there's another missing body for the security support. So,

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah. the great thing is that unlike some other chains,...

**Kevin Hammond:** we don't have huge numbers of security incidents to deal with.

**Christian Taylor:** I hope so.

**Christian Taylor:** Yeah. Adam knows something.

**Adam Dean:** that we know of, there have been some that just haven't been fully disclosed in the past.

**Jonathan Kelly:** Indeed.

**Adam Dean:** So, we may not even know how many skeletons are actually in the closet at this point. I know things about stuff andor things. we can say, but

**Christian Taylor:** But to clarify too, the Intersect HR team will lead the interview process and they'll loop in y'all, the OSC, and the security council, just to make sure a good culture fit and,...

**Christian Taylor:** all KYC's done on this since it's a very sensitive topic as to who we hire. So, yeah.

**Kevin Hammond:** So this group will be involved in the recruitment process question. so we're looking for input from TSC members on this u important role.

**Christian Taylor:** So they'll give us a short list and then we'll be able to propose from those candidates.

**Kevin Hammond:** Thank so I'm going to just quickly skip ahead max so TX sorry I'm going to have to read this out so I get it right. Max TX execution cost brackets memory parameter change.

**Alexander Moser:** Yes. Are you not referring to the new parameter?

**Kevin Hammond:** No, I'm not referring to the new parameter.

**Alexander Moser:** Then there will be a second topic that is about the standard parameter change that we have discussed probably three months ago by now or nearly 3 months ago. We've identified it as security parameter. Kevin wrote public note that we intend to change this to meet the constitutional timeline of reannouncing the change that runs out on the 7th of October. So we could anytime after that post the premier change.

**Jonathan Kelly:** And that is to mean a parameter change governance action for vote.

**Alexander Moser:** Sorry. Yes.

**Kevin Hammond:** Correct.

**Kevin Hammond:** So, I'm just checking the I'm just checking the epoch change deadline. So, there's an epoch change on Monday the 6th. that is technically not inside the 3-month window. So the earliest we could submit the proposal on the 7th So the first epoch for voting would be the 11th.

**Kevin Hammond:** What...

**Alexander Moser:** Way.

**Kevin Hammond:** what I would propose is I will circulate the draft metadata of this group. I think I may have already done that before but I will make sure that is circulated to this group so that everyone can see it. And what I would propose is that we take a formal vote on when to submit it next week. Does that sound acceptable to everyone? I'll circulate the metadata out of band. does anyone have any concerns about this priority change?

**Kevin Hammond:** It's been a while since we have discussed it before but this is basically going to allow more execution units more larger plut scripts to be executed remove some checkpoint and the proposal is going to be to do it in two stages so that we don't violate any guard rails but in total we would get I think a 25% increase in the current memory unit setting. Assuming that's successful, we would then be in the position to make a further relaxation, we believe. So this will help build in additional chain capacity.

00:55:00

**Alexander Moser:** absolutely two would have been a new one.

**Kevin Hammond:** Go ahead.

**Alexander Moser:** Sorry, just telling people to shut up in your office. reduct that from the notes, please. Gemini,...

**Jonathan Kelly:** It's going up on

**Alexander Moser:** you even better. point number two that we've raised the last time at the parameter committee was the addition of a new parameter, new margin. There are two ways to activate it. Either in the intra era hard fork that's coming up at which point it would not be a parameterizable parameter. So one that can be changed through a parameter change governance action.

**Alexander Moser:** but one that is just added as a fixed parameter in the set and only also changeable then through hardcore covenant action or we wait with adding min margin until dystra which is the era changing hardalk planned to be happening in 2026 where we can add the parameter as a full member of the parameters. One way to find out how urgent this is whether we have to go through the process of sounding it with the community and actually finding a first value for a parameter that can't be changed with a parameter change governance action.

**Alexander Moser:** and so on and so forth until the next intra era hard fork would be to ask those people that are currently working on it. That would be Carlos. But the parameter committee also raised this question to the TSC whether anybody here has any input on the process of how to get min margin into place because I think this is currently at this stage what we need to be concerned with most.

**Alexander Moser:** just checking the notes. So I believe to summarize first we need to find out the urgency of min margin. We hope to achieve to get that by inviting Carlos and one of his team members maybe and if anybody's interested from this call or any of you we invite you to the next parameter committee call which is happening in two weeks on Thursday to decide which urgency this has so that we can follow a process

**Alexander Moser:** from that. Does that make sense?



**Kevin Hammond:** So, thanks Alex. So, we're obviously relying here on vendors implementing this change and any other changes to the incentive scheme such as SIP 50. and a similar process would need to be followed for determining an initial setting for the L parameter 50 for example in including making sure that any constitutional changes to guard rails were highlighted. So the earlier we get to do the discussion the better.

**Kevin Hammond:** Adam, do you want to finish this up? were there any issues arising from the IC? Anything we should be aware of?

01:00:00

**Adam Dean:** No, there was just discussion on the security incident manager position. and Jack shared the hiring criteria, which is essentially that the individual will be kind of shortlisted by Intersect staff. Then they'll have to go through an interview with the OSC chair, and I want to say the actual intersect steering committee chair prior to being formally hired. So the committees will have ultimate control. and then potentially a member of the executive team to make sure they're a good cultural fit. u and I believe Kevin, it was already indicated that you had already signed off on that hiring process and so we were waiting on the open source and the intersect steering committee.

**Adam Dean:** but aside from that, it was just really updates on where everybody is at budget-wise. and of course the election cycle drama which we've already also worked our way through here in the TSC.

**Kevin Hammond:** Yeah, I took the liberty of signing off on that. I didn't hear any dissent to the process only to some of the details of which we can deal with. So if anyone has any input on the role itself input to the questions we should ask anything important we should ask the candidates that would be great. And what I'm assuming is it depends on the number of candidates that we need to deal with, but we might u need to split the recruitment between us. So if it's a matter it's case of attending something like 20 interviews that's beyond the capability of any one individual I expect.

**Jonathan Kelly:** I already did 13 for the USC as did tax.

**Kevin Hammond:** You'll do it Thank you. we have Johnny volunteering.

**Jonathan Kelly:** He took them all.

**Kevin Hammond:** You're a brave man,...

**Kevin Hammond:** Johnny. I made a note of that.

**Jonathan Kelly:** Yeah. a sus tax.

**Kevin Hammond:** Thank any other issues anyone wants to raise in this call? if not, I'll talk to you all again very shortly. And a reminder that next week we'll push the start time of the meeting back by 30 minutes to allow for people to attend the layoffs monthly meeting. Brilliant. Great. Thank you everyone.

**Nicolas Biri:** Thank you everyone.

**Kevin Hammond:** Come on.

Meeting ended after 01:03:10 🙌

*This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.*