

Open Source Committee (Intersect) - 2025/10/30 07:58

CDT - Transcript

Attendees

Adam Dean, Andrew Aitken, Christian Taylor, Dan Baruka, Elaine Cardenas, Elaine Cardenas's Presentation, EMMANUEL TITI, Gemma Dakin, Harun Mwangi, Jonathan Kelly, Minh Bui, Nick Cook, Pedro Lucas, read.ai meeting notes, Sebastian Pabon, Terence McCutcheon, Terence McCutcheon's Presentation, Uche Obasi

Transcript

Jonathan Kelly:

Terence McCutcheon: Hi John. Hello

Jonathan Kelly: Hello.

Terence McCutcheon: And it could see. Hey J.

Gemma Dakin: Hello.

Terence McCutcheon: Excuse me.

Elaine Cardenas: Just kind of wait a minute longer to see who else turns up.

Christian Taylor: Arno did mention he won't be able to make it and...

Christian Taylor: I think you're is at a conference.

Terence McCutcheon: also missed.

Terence McCutcheon: We've got five and we've got two developer advocates. So, let's get kicked off.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah, sure thing. One sec. Let me That's set up.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah. So, first thing on the agenda is just a sec. I can't remember if it's developer advocates or sorry,...

Terence McCutcheon: DA should always be first. I believe the developer advocates are typically always the first thing on the list.

Elaine Cardenas: what? Yeah. Yeah. Okay. yeah, so we'd like to get an update from the developer advocates. Please go ahead.

Uche Obasi: Okay. So, yeah. Yeah. I wanted to, kind of like mention some of the things we've been able to do within the past couple of weeks. the top of the list is the developer experience website, so we've been working to set up a DevX website within the intersect and we've been able to publish the website. So it's

devx.inctmbbo.org and I think we've been kind of working hard to make sure that we kind of put the documentation in order.

00:05:00

Uche Obasi: So we've been working a lot on syncing a lot of our sessions during this DevX working group sessions to the website al so that is also coming out and aside from the website we've also been helping out with the whole working group sessions and it's been going so well. on boarding we've been able to onboard a couple of folks into the community.

Uche Obasi: personally one of the success story that I would want to share is someone booked an appointment through the readme on the debit repo and I had a call with them with him yesterday and they were able to join the discord and they were able to also gain the intersect membership which is a good testament to some of the work we've been doing. then we've also started looking at working or rather improving the feedback form. alongside it is also the developer experience survey as well.

Uche Obasi: so yeah, we've kind of had a lot of things, going on at the moment. yeah, but these are some of the highlights that I wanted to share with the committee.

Elaine Cardenas: Thank you. fantastic. Okay, so next up we wanted to talk about procurement expectations from Intersect. So I do believe we have guest here to talk about this today. Tex, if you could take over

Terence McCutcheon: I'll pass it right on to we got Gemma and then also Nick Cook.

Gemma Dakin: Hello everybody. Nice to you meet the people that I haven't met before and to see some familiar faces. so I've been supporting text from intersect operations helping to put together the statements of working very closely with our procurement team and our finance team to get the line. So I just like to give a bit of a status recap in terms of where we're at. so as you all know you have 10 programs of work under the OSC treasury proposal. We have now signed off five of those statements of work. So the developer advocates, the travel, the bug bounty, the tooling sustainability program and the security incident manager role. So those are all good to go from a procurement perspective.

Gemma Dakin: However, we are still working to put your budget into USDM. So that kind of came as a secondary request a few weeks ago. So, we've been working with our finance team and with Christian and Tex to write out the metadata which will explain why we are taking money out the Treasury Reserve contract and what we're doing with it in terms of putting it into USDM and the amounts and then what would be returned back to the Treasury Reserve contract. so just to set expectations as well it is very important that the OC is informed on all of these decisions. Jack in SETD is the ultimate sign person who will sign off on all of this. However, it is very much with the input from the OC to drive your program of work forward.

Gemma Dakin: So Elaine has been kindly working with us and signing the relevant documents off. so I just want to ensure though that it is being shared across the committee and you guys are aware of what's going on. because I don't want things to get lost and then for us to do things without you guys realizing. So can I just check that you're all aware that those five statements of work that I mentioned have been now signed off. it needs to really be shared across the whole committee.

00:10:00

Terence McCutcheon: Yes, from the secretary standpoint and the chair. we have confirmation on it.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah. I will be sharing those documents later today then.

Jonathan Kelly: Hot.

Gemma Dakin: That's all. so when Ela you're signing these things off before you sign them off, you really should be sharing them with the rest of the committee to get their endorsement on it as well. and then once a statement of work has been signed off, we then put up on a knowledge base so it's visible to the whole committee and the entire ecosystem in fact what has been signed off and then what you're working towards. So then we then go into your milestone delivery.

Gemma Dakin: so again you do have quite a lot of milestones that are imminently due on these programs of work. again text has been working with us from a secretary standpoint to fill these out collect the information. You do have a very complete OSU knowledge base. So that's fantastic and a lot of the links we've taken from there. But again, these milestone acceptance forms need to be signed off by Elena as chair and shared with the OC broadly as the committee so that you guys can also collaborate and input into these documents so that it's being shared properly in a very decentralized transparent way.

Elaine Cardenas: Thank you.

Gemma Dakin: And then if I may just continue on one more point. so the broad statements of work. So for instance we have the developer advocate statement of work. That is the statement of work which matches up to your treasury withdrawal for that particular piece of work. However, what we've then done is we've then developed subcontracts for the particular dev advocates of which there are four. and those subcontracts are for OSC to manage. So TEX is tracking those regular milestones, ensuring that the budget is kept on track, ensuring that the deliverables are met with obviously the support of OSC.

Gemma Dakin: So just to be clear that subsequent delivery once contracts have been signed off is OC's responsibility and...

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah.

Gemma Dakin: there is the accountability and responsibility of OSE in order to deliver these programs of work. Nick, do you have anything else to add?

Nick Cook: Not necessarily on the delivery assurance side. but I mean for those of you who haven't met before, I'm Nick Cook and I'm responsible currently. I'm interim operations director for Intersect. and I think obviously we want you guys to succeed and it's in our interest for you to succeed really but also I think from an insect side and a deliver assurance side, I think sometimes we're seen as the enemy rather and in actual fact all we're trying to do is play forward what we think the areas or vectors for negativity could be from the community on certain things. and that's why we're trying to be fairly stringent on a lot of these things.

Nick Cook: and you guys have proposed a really really ambitious program of activity and work for the next kind of nine months. and we need to make sure that you'll actually deliver on that. Obviously, it is super ambitious. and I think a few of the programs seem quite similar to each other, which is fine. my slight concern is that because you've been so ambitious with the amount of work that you've proposed and

getting done, it's making sure that it gets done to a level of quality outcomes that give the right value to the treasury money being spent, if that makes sense. and obviously we're here to help you do that in whatever capacity we can.

Nick Cook: But as we move forward, I think we need to just be cognizant of making sure that we're not just ticking boxes to get the things done that we said we were going to do and make sure that the actual quality and metrics are there to actually deliver to the community the value for the end dollar as it were or the ader and make sure that the effort is being transitioned into outcomes that are tangible. cuz I think go on Johnny.

00:15:00

Jonathan Kelly: Are you coming to make this statement today because you don't feel this has been the case so far or is this just a preliminary statement?

Nick Cook: No. It's certainly not that you haven't delivered anything so far that's of the right quality. just obviously when we first went through the statement of work we've spent a considerable amount of time trying to shape up some of the KPIs with Tex and Christian and you guys just to make sure that that's clear to the community and that the right KPIs are being delivered. there's certainly no criticism here. I just want to make sure that we're really focused on metric delivery around these programs to really justify that they're delivering. I don't want you guys what I'm doing is I'm thinking about the optics of six nine months ahead where could there be a vector for the community the echo chamber that can sometimes be X to criticize some of these programs and what they have delivered and the value for money.

Nick Cook: So, I just want to make sure that's at the forefront of everyone's thought process when we're going through these programs is...

Nick Cook: what do we actually need to make sure we deliver an evidence so that we can hit our milestones and b make sure the community don't really have any room for criticism.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah, thank you.

Elaine Cardenas: We'll definitely focus on making, sure all of our work that we're delivering to the community is visible. Jonathan Kelly

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, I just want to highlight that this kind of fear of response has been a constant theme throughout Interex history and...

Nick Cook: No. Okay.

Jonathan Kelly: has actually led to a lot of ill will coming because of that level of guardedness and fear of their response. I think at least let us run it for a while and see if there's any issues come up rather than preempting it by making statements about how they might come at us. it's a bit of an odd way to approach people that are starting a bunch of exploratory firsttime programs which was highlighted in the requests. But yeah, your heart is in the right place.

Jonathan Kelly: It just seems very scared of the community, let's say.

Nick Cook: I just Yeah,...

Nick Cook: I'm not sure it's that I just want to make sure that when you guys are going through the program of delivering this work, you're actually thinking about okay, what are the right metrics for us to measure ourselves against is the reality.

Jonathan Kelly: No, absolutely. no, it's definitely a required thing, but I never like to think in terms of...

Jonathan Kelly: what can I do to prevent being criticized because you can end up completely destroying any real productivity from that fear.

Nick Cook: I hear you 100% and...

Nick Cook: and I'm not saying that you should change what you're doing based on that at all. I think it's more in line with the fact that obviously we have to deliver assure whatever's going to be done and I just really want to make sure that this is successful for everybody certainly the OC because it's a huge part of Kadano's future. and it is really pivotal and we want all of these programs to Part of my slight concern which Christian and techs already know about is do you have the resources to be able to deliver all 10 of these programs or all of the programs you're planning?

Nick Cook: And if not, how can we potentially help you with that by involving ecosystem partners or others that might manage a program for you over here?

Nick Cook: Or I just want to make sure that you have the banks required to deliver all this.

Jonathan Kelly: No, that's fine.

Jonathan Kelly: One thing I'd suggest is maybe taking on another open source office full-time member of staff indeed.

Nick Cook: Yeah, I mean I don't disagree with that. the only slight issue with that is we don't have budget for it. we might need to find that.

Jonathan Kelly: So, this is the problem, so we either will or won't deliver. and we'll certainly try to at the best of our ability. yeah, but if we don't have the resources, this is because we didn't have the resources, not because of any lack of

Nick Cook: I mean, obviously text has been what I would call a very malleable resource for Intersect and has worked excellently across a number of our domains. And I think having the amount of workload now that's required in the next kind of nine months, Tex is moving back more into I would say a solidified open source role. and we're unburdening him with those other responsibilities so that he can spend pretty much 100% of his resource time within open source. So we're hoping that will help and there is an acknowledgement that we do realize that that resource is required. because when we went through the statement of work, I think we looked at that and thought, it's super ambitious, which is good, but can it all be delivered and how can we support that? so if we can support it with additional resource, we obviously will.

00:20:00

Nick Cook: I think that's another discussion we need to have around what that might look like or how we could potentially provide that or is there the opportunity to outsource some of the programs that you've got planned to ecosystem partners who can take up the load on one or two of those maybe.

Jonathan Kelly: I think that outsourcing aspect is actually coming up in this agenda with some of the items such as the summer earth code and accelerator program but we're not going to get ahead of ourselves.

Nick Cook: Perfect. No, that's great. and I think one of the other important things is look, if you're struggling to deliver certain things, come and speak to us and we'll see what we can do to support and help. It may be that we can move a resource around for a period of time to help with certain things. we're just cognizant of the workload that you've proposed and want to make sure that we can help you to deliver that and where we can.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah, thank you very much. we'll definitely reach out ...

Elaine Cardenas: and if we need any additional resources and stuff. Gemma, please.

Gemma Dakin: Yes, it's Gemma.

Gemma Dakin: That's okay.

Elaine Cardenas: Gemma, my apologies.

Gemma Dakin: That's okay. I have just put a link in channel in the chat, which is the link to the Intersect knowledge base which has the signed off SWS for the Treasury budget this year. So, you'll find three of yours on there. I think it would be great and I don't know if you guys do this but to track those milestones in your sessions so that what's coming up what we'll be requesting and then that will also help you track it with your tracking of the subsequent milestone. So for developer advocates for example so again using dev advocates as an example at the end of this quarter we will be asking for progress reports for those dev advocates and it covers three months.

Gemma Dakin: I know that dev get paid on a monthly basis. So maybe collecting monthly evidence from those dev advocates and then you have that prepared for when we then come and ask for the quarterly evidence for that particular program if that makes sense. So just a way of thinking about how you guys can do this in a sort of timely fashion so it doesn't come as a shock when the treasury milestones are due.

Gemma Dakin: Great. Thank you.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah, thank you.

Elaine Cardenas: We'll formalize more of the discussion that we've been having Thank Is there anything else that either of you would like to say about this topic?

Nick Cook: I don't think there's anything from my side. Obviously, we're here to help and support and when you might need it. whether that's with advice on things, whether we can provisionally provide some resources as we previously discussed,...

Nick Cook: maybe for a couple of weeks here and if there's things that are running short on deadlines or, over capacity. So, we're here to help as and where we

Elaine Cardenas: Thank you.

Elaine Cardenas: Did somebody raise their hand? I can't. Jonathan Kelly.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, me I've just got one question, Nick and Gemma. you guys are aware of the previous discussions that have been had around using something like Andamio as a management tool,...

Gemma Dakin: Okay. He

Jonathan Kelly: right? for milestones and deliverables just to make sure things are trackable. Is that something you're personally in favor of or have reservations

Nick Cook: I think there's some ongoing discussions around that happening. there's a couple of discussions. One is around that which hasn't progressed too far as yet. and I think will be part of the budget committee discussions. personally I'm in favor of the best tool for the job. and then there's another discussion that also around...

Nick Cook: how we facilitate monthly stipended payments to committee members. and that's one that I think is advancing at a little bit more of a pace. but I'm always in favor of the best tool for the job.

Gemma Dakin: and...

Gemma Dakin: And just to add to that, I think that we have had some issues, for example, with the retainer program. Being able to pay 50 maintainers a month on a monthly basis is just not something that we're currently able to do from an operation perspective at thinking about a platform like Andamano that could facilitate that as a third party provider is a really good idea and we'd be really open to hearing the pros and... cons to using that tool versus another tool. For example,

00:25:00

Gemma Dakin:

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah. ...

Jonathan Kelly: since the last time there was some let's say ignorant on my part statements made against Andamio being used, but having since seen the demo and played with it myself and seen that they're adding USDM as a distribution method or any Cardano native token as a distribution method under a milestone, a deliverable task. this is good for the future for fit for the kind of operations you're needing. And then the people would have their work signed off based on the evidence they submit against the deliverable and...

Jonathan Kelly: be able to claim that money themselves. So you wouldn't be burdened with having to manage the 50 payments. It would happen and when people submitted their own evidence.

Gemma Dakin: Yeah, exactly.

Gemma Dakin: That is definitely something that we're keen to look into a bit more.

Elaine Cardenas: Thank with those contributions out of the way I believe we can move on to the next topic which actually has to do with the same type of outsourcing things to vendors process which is the Google summer of code vendors. So there are three in particular that we are considering right now. and that's MLABS C and Newcast. I wanted to have the OSO team talk a little bit more about these potential vendors because the OSO team has been doing doing a lot of that communication and stuff.

Elaine Cardenas: Was MLABS the one who Tex you can answer this was MLABS the organization that proposed the really budget efficient stuff in India.

Terence McCutcheon: No.

Elaine Cardenas: Christian you're sorry I didn't see your Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: So, yeah, Christian's here, too. But, yeah, so the thing is, with MLABS, they were actually, one of the first ones to take a closer look at what our offerings were and see how they could get involved. and so this is something that they're really primed to do based on what their organizational structure looks like and how they've run their previous cohorts and onboarding of developers and whatnot. So they were actually the first ones to reach out to us.

Elaine Cardenas: Yes. please.

Terence McCutcheon: The India side of things came true from C and then also essentially a partnership or a split thereof from Newcast. But at that point I would pass it off to Christian.

Christian Taylor: So, MLABS is very strategic in Latam, Europe, and US to do part of this program. They already have some point people in universities to connect there. the only thing I think that the OSC has been critiqued to is it's very Haskell oriented. So, we do need to adjust the curriculum to reflect that. But to get more bang for buck too, I did connect with C because they have big hackathons that go in India. they are proposing to do up to 20 universities for half the budget. they just need some partnership to accommodate that. So I contacted Newcast wanting to participate. and we'll potentially get up to 2,2500 students.

Christian Taylor: Newcast did verify that the C# numbers are accurate and C already has memorandums of understanding with all those universities.

Christian Taylor: They're just waiting for us to pick that course curriculum and we can choose the universities in particular from their roster. so yeah,...

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah. So in terms of ...

Elaine Cardenas: what is Newcast's role with the potential like India like stuff because I'm not super clear on how they help C#.

Christian Taylor: C is very familiar with the C movement or the program language. A long time ago, they built up a 3 million dev community. They just recently joined Cardano.

Christian Taylor: Newcast is the native team in India that does the Cardano codeex every year. so it would be wise to tap Newcast's Cardano SME presence or subject matter experts with C and actually can train their teams to be familiar to run this university program. So that way you have more than enough resources. Adam

Adam Dean: I might be misremembering what a summer of code is exactly, but are we just trying to stipen a bunch of people that are already inside of the Cardano ecosystem here, or are we trying to bring in new green field contributors that are not aware of what Cardano is through I thought it was selective kind of sponsorship to give students a little bit of cash over the summer by giving them a programming task and...

00:30:00

Adam Dean: and then away they go and then usually the top candidates get an internship at Google or something. What...

Christian Taylor: So no that's the point.

Adam Dean: what are we trying to accomplish by just pamping it with giant India numbers essentially? Sorry if you're from India but you guys have a metric ton of people there. but it's just about the raw number of people. We also want to attract talent.

Christian Taylor: So, talking with Mahesh at C# since they've done a lot of this, he's actually arguing that it's harder to do it during the summer because that's when students are on break. So, he can actually integrate it into their course curriculum both in the spring and fall semesters. That way, you're actually integrating the technology with their degrees. and that will facilitate more participation. And the program runs about two months for their participation.

Elaine Cardenas: Adam.

Adam Dean: I'm just going to go on record as saying again this is a material change to what the scope of the project and the budget was. everybody wants to get a big pile of money and I'm sure MLABS and C and everybody is interested in getting their partner commission cut off of helping us with this project. but when you completely change the scope and it's no longer a summer of code, does it match what the voters approved during the budget process? If it's just yet another one of these, we've seen it over and over in Catalyst. we're going to partner with XY Z college and then they're going to add two sentences about Cardano in a curriculum somewhere and so give us 100,000 ADA or something. it again very bait and...

Adam Dean: switchy versus just actually running the program as specified or giving the money back.

Christian Taylor: That's the thing,...

Christian Taylor: The only specification we had was involving students in programs, potential internships to come about from it. We never had anything detailed. So, I had inlabs put a proposal together that's open to scrutiny. And then to not just give it to one vendor, I pulled in the other experts that have done this in India and there's an counter thing there. So it is for us to frame how we want to do the program. These are just vendors that have reached two universities that we can integrate the scope to. So it's completely open to be worked.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah. Heat.

Adam Dean: I'm gonna kind of disagree with you there, Christian. I think you're playing a little bit too fast and loose with your own definitions. We called it a summer of code. we literally referenced Google

Summer of Code, which is a very well understood program in the open-source and developer so again pivoting it to three universities in India are going to mention Cardano in their course curriculum is a very very substantial shift away from...

Adam Dean: what we were aiming to do.

Elaine Cardenas: So before we discuss this further, I'd like to thank you. Yeah, I'd like to request that we get those documents on the proposals from MLABS and C car C car C shared so that we can concretely look at what the vendors would do for the programs.

Elaine Cardenas:

Christian Taylor: Yeah, they're already in the Discord.

Elaine Cardenas: What? Yeah. Text

Christian Taylor: I know everyone's familiar with it and we can catch up. I'm happy to do a work draft session on this. This is just the beginning groundwork of trying to scope out how we do it since the original proposer isn't able to help run the program. So,

Terence McCutcheon: I would just mention at least as far as my understanding, I haven't had a chance to explore this deeper yet because this is one of the closer to the tail end programs that we'd be specking on as far as the statements of work are concerned. my understanding when this was brought to our attention as a formal proposal was that it was designed to specifically follow what the program is asking for. at the very least that coming from the MLABS proposal. So what I would suggest is as I get a chance to deeper review this I would essentially look at the newcast andor C proposals to ensure that they integrate directly following essentially what's proposed here and then again a double verification against what the program we actually desire to put forth to ensure that there's alignment across all of them.

Terence McCutcheon: if not obviously that would require either redrafting or just not being accepted. I believe this is just a general notice of let's start to review these deeper. I don't know that this is up for a decision quite as of yet.

00:35:00

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah, I'm in agreement that I don't think we can make a decision on it.

Elaine Cardenas: I had my own personal opinions about the stuff also of the MLABS program in particular we want to minimize much of the HA hasll focus I have reasons that I don't necessarily have the time to deliver right now but I think that what would be appropriate is to schedule a meeting on

Elaine Cardenas: this because we need to consider both the proposals and stuff. We need to consider how much budget that we want to actually allocate towards everything because the last time I checked the C# stuff would dominate the budget spending. so we want to have if we want a diversity in terms of and think in terms of vendors and geographic locations and stuff. yeah, I think getting a meeting convened on this would be very helpful. sorry, I Yeah, Jonathan Kelly.

Jonathan Kelly: Hello yeah, just a follow on from Adam's position on this. I'm just quoting from the rundown of how contributors work for Google Summer of Code. potential GSOC contributors contact the

mentor organizations they want to work with and write a project proposal based on ideas the organization has suggested. Once accepted, the contributors spend a few weeks becoming familiar with the community norms and code base while determining expected milestones with their mentor for the summer. specifically contributors then spend 12 plus weeks coding on their projects. there's a source link for the minutes of that quote. So Adam was saying it's very very much modeled in the budget on the Google summer code being referenced and this is their rundown of how that would work. so any deviation is potentially relevant.

Elaine Cardenas: Thank you. Christian

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I just wanted to clarify we were just trying to get bang for buck here. I think I presented it more as a numbers thing. So just clarifying that that wasn't the intent. and I was just talking to education providers to get better scope of how people have already done this. And to your point, Adam, I definitely want to avoid that kind of scam that's why I thought there was potential with this considering it's mentors focusing students towards project ideas and then we can line it up to internship opportunities with providers in the ecosystem. So,

Jonathan Kelly: If it follows the same kind of mentor project 12week program but just shifts it from being the summer I wouldn't really have that much objection if it's the same model. when it happens I think isn't even...

Jonathan Kelly: though it's called summer of code if it's the same outcome with the same students at a different time frame I think the community wouldn't be hateful of

Elaine Cardenas: My main question is about the internships like that that they would do ...

Elaine Cardenas: how much of the mentorship time and how much of the budget and stuff would be allocated towards getting them to make contributions and stuff or would that just be external follow up thing. text. Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: I'll circle back briefly to the fact that I ran into the current leader of the Google Summer of Code program. I did set up basically kind of propose, hey, can I reach out to you when we have it organized? So, I would just suggest let's kind of take this offline, get it figured out and then actually submit that over for review and see what we can do just to make sure that there is alignment.

Terence McCutcheon: And there is a lot of flexibility with it as well. But again, I'll explain that differently in the other meeting. We can still take other comments, but we could also move on. So,

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah, thank you.

Elaine Cardenas: I'm in preference towards moving on because I think we got to cover a bit more stuff. but getting the Google Summer code creator to review stuff would be fantastic. So, yeah, let's schedule a follow-up to this outside of just the normal cadence. okay, then we can move on to the accelerator program vendors. yeah. Christian. Yes.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I can speak to this one too. So, Chris Sowolski won't be able to join, but we did have a conversation with Chris Barrett about trying to connect with a service provider that was going to speak at Dev Connect who's connected to a lot bunch of VCs and stuff, but given the timetable and her actual costs, we will have to drop that and replan it for a later integration possibly. But to the actual program, I'm still keeping the proposal for this as three different workshops that run two to three sessions

throughout the next year focused on open source software, technical validation, market fit, and mock pitch building. I'm finding vendors for the latter two. We do have the commercial open source software one lined up for 5K cheap. They're familiar with this and they are angel investors on the side.

00:40:00

Christian Taylor: So there's potential opportunities there for projects. but the idea is if you run through each circuit, each of the workshops run different timings. If you get through all three, you're certified for this. And we did talk to the Cardano Foundation Venture Hub to try and set up kind of different pathways and bigger opportunities with this as an ecosystem. so we're focused more on the educational side of this and building bridges for projects to have options to do different things. So, I'll have a more detailed outbreak of that in the coming weeks.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah, thank you. in terms of the two vendors with this, so at least my personal priority I think is going to sound a lot like what other people have said as well that connections to VCs is the number one most important thing.

Elaine Cardenas: making sure that we get those connections established and stuff because I've ran a Cardano business before and the getting capital aspect is quite difficult and stuff. So Christian could you speak a little more as to both of these providers connections to VCs? You said one of them I believe is an angel investor on the side, right? Which one would that be?

Christian Taylor: So that's with our open-source legal support. They offer free legal services for people wanting to know about business licensing and stuff. They are already successful entrepreneurs. So they are angel investors on the side of projects wish to pursue that. they're called the chinstrap community. The other lady is someone who is called Fractal. she's the one who Catalyst was going to help sponsor, but they didn't have the budget in their program. So that's why when they connected with us, there was a potential opportunity there, but she wanted 85k. They negotiated down to 65K. because it was only an 8week extension to actually programs involved, it was way too close for that much money for only a 8week program to launch.

Elaine Cardenas: Okay, thank you.

Christian Taylor: So we're going to restructure that for 2026 at some point.

Christian Taylor: So that's where those connections come in. now I'll hand it over to Andrew as well.

Andrew Aitken: Thanks, Christian.

Andrew Aitken: Hey Christian when you talk to Cardano about this did they mention Tech Stars because they did a very sophisticated incubation workshop in Sweden Switzerland last year I think with Cardano or...

Andrew Aitken: with Catalyst I believe.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, we've already discussed Techstars,...

Christian Taylor: Draper U, and there's another one.

Andrew Aitken: Mhm. Yeah,...

Christian Taylor: Those programs are separate to this. we're trying to build something that's more Cardano native in a sense because Techstars, they take on projects, but they have their own silicon hub thing going on. So, we're trying to build resource. Yeah.

Andrew Aitken: they did a catalyst Cardano only one So,...

Christian Taylor: But the idea was at least from what I was told is that they focus on that those projects being in their own internal network not necessarily like they're here only for Cardano is the idea coming from John and Chris. So that's why they wanted this education series to tie into these multiple paths. but yeah no the idea here is there's different grant mechanisms within Cardano.

Andrew Aitken: so this is what you're talking about here. What is a pathway for intersect driven projects to get training, right? Okay.

Christian Taylor: This is to provide you expertise to prepare your project to go into these environments is the idea.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, because the budget assigned to the accelerator is not anything worth investment type stuff.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah.

Christian Taylor: So yeah,...

Andrew Aitken: It's to provide preunding funding prep.

Christian Taylor: think of it as you got either your pre- catalyst and you need to know how to write your proposal or your post catalyst, you have an MVP. how do you actually build a business model, investor deck, and make sure you have the right market fit and then you could go into multiple pathways of Tech Stars, DraperU, get exposure in a demo day, via the CF venture hub or, we have a partnership with Killer Whales trying to see if you want to go on their TV show like Shark Tank version...

00:45:00

Andrew Aitken: Yeah. But is catalyst one of the gateways to the or...

Christian Taylor: but for Cardano. So,

Christian Taylor: Currently, outside of Treasury withdrawals,...

Andrew Aitken: required steps in this path?

Christian Taylor: that's kind of the only benefactor for grant funding. Yeah. A comment.

Elaine Cardenas: I is it I mean that might be the reality of a lot of Cardano stuff currently but I don't think that is that the aim because at least in my head it would be very good to connect in particular so that catalyst is not the only option

Christian Taylor: And Catalyst is refining their scope. That's why we engaged Chris to find out what they're doing.

Christian Taylor: But the idea is with the CF venture hub team, they actually want to build it outside of CF and kind of have an independent consortium that helps coordinate all these different opportunities and all the actors because right now there's not really a road map for what's available to you. It's just whatever you find on your X feed most of the time.

Andrew Aitken: Yeah, because there are certainly for good ideas,...

Andrew Aitken: good teams who have a reasonable business model.

Andrew Aitken: There are certainly pathways with less friction available for funding.

Elaine Cardenas: What do you...

Elaine Cardenas: what do you mean? sorry, I'm not follow

Andrew Aitken: So catalyst is very prescriptive. I put a project because I wanted to learn more about it. So, I put a project through the last round, and I'm a huge fan of panelist, but it's a bit of a ponderous approach to getting funding. It's an approach.

Andrew Aitken: It's a qualifying approach. It's one that's obviously very communitycentric, which is great, but there are other pathways to get funding.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah. ... makes sense. the attacks.

Elaine Cardenas:

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, apologies. I didn't want to get into the middle of this or stop communication, but I would like to mention that there is the commercialization utility working group which that name can change if needed, but we should ensure that there's additional OSC support provided there and...

Terence McCutcheon: a cadence change is needed for that working group that we again move the conversation there just so we keep things running for the sake of the meeting.

Elaine Cardenas: Okay, thank you.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah, we can move on next up on the agenda is new the can we should review or sorry we'd like to review the new incubation project or the new projects that have applied to the incubation program. so first up we have IOSIM sorry text

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: We skipped the cadence one and...

Terence McCutcheon: I know I mentioned I didn't mean to do that...

Elaine Cardenas: Do we need

Terence McCutcheon: but I just going to highlight the next scheduled meeting would normally have been for the 13th but that's happening basically during the Cardano summit. so just quick and wide, if there's no qualms, we'd essentially move back and meet on the 6th. kind of change the weekly cadence at that point, meet again on the 20th. 27th is a US holiday. and the likelihood is that we would meet 4,1 and 18 to polish off things before the end of the year rather before the holidays.

Terence McCutcheon: So again, 6 and 20 of November and then 4118 in December. five more meetings this year.

Elaine Cardenas: a motion to schedule like this.

Terence McCutcheon: I don't know that one needs to be one formally. but it should probably be more than just an announcement.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah. I'm personally in favor of this All good.

00:50:00

Jonathan Kelly: I have no objections.

Terence McCutcheon: Okay, I'll get a schedule.

Terence McCutcheon: Sorry. Continue.

Elaine Cardenas: So there's been new projects that have applied to the incubation program and they're ready for us to review. and I wanted to see if we could chat about them briefly before the end of the meeting. the first one on this list is IOSIM. they all have very sounding names. yeah. who was it that was super Yes.

Christian Taylor: I can add so the proposal for these I'll have these sent to the committee at sometime after the call.

Elaine Cardenas: Christian. please

Christian Taylor: I got a copy of the proposals over from ClickUp but the idea is it came from the oris network team. There's two that has core related IOM and I think it's typed protocols. the other one is Serdoc which ties into Kess agent which is still an open item for discussion. but the idea is the IOE teams want this to come under intersect. They already have maintainers associated with the work. So the idea is that they would continue that under their proposal.

Christian Taylor: And no additional funding required though. They're the maintainers for it. But I already informed the technical steering committee yesterday. So I'm going to send it to both committees by end of today. I just got to get that together.

Elaine Cardenas: Thank you.

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah. Adam Dean.

Adam Dean: Yeah, I'll just kind of repeat my concerns from the TSC yesterday for the sake of the open source meeting. but I'm a bit worried that we get mandated and told by essentially one of our contractors which repositories Intersect must own and manage and maintain going forward. it was raised up that these are what do you call it? requirements for or...

Terence McCutcheon: Couple of penions.

Adam Dean: yeah dependencies for some of the Cardano node...

Jonathan Kelly: said, "Yeah, for the cardonomous

Adam Dean: so is the entire Haskell programming language stack and so there's only so much that we can be responsible for as the Cardano community. So, a lot of these things, they might have funding this year, but that just is going to increase the size of the ask for treasury maintenance dollars for next year. so I don't want to just accept everybody's project unless a really strong case can be made that Intersect is the one and only source for this to be maintained.

Adam Dean: if these were previously being managed and maintained by well-typed or IO, there's no reason why they can't keep doing that. I don't see that just because it's a dependency of Cardano node, it has a fit within intersects owned repository scope essentially. And yes, these are all three Haskell libraries that are used somewhere.

Elaine Cardenas: So I think my personal opinion on any Haskell libraries that would be maintained that would be fallen that would fall under the incubation program. I think it would be good to find out exactly what IO wants out of this basically. because Christian do you remember how much funding is allocated to the incubation project program in terms of per project stuff...

Elaine Cardenas: because if I recall correctly it's not super high.

Christian Taylor: the incubation program all it gets is os soft head basically there's no funding associated with the program the projects themselves have to do the treasury withdrawals andor their primary contractors so think of it like pragma...

Christian Taylor: where amaro's separate committee went and got a treasury withdrawal action to support the project but pragma itself did not so similar with our incubation program. We're here to steward open source best practice and stuff and provide a rating and livelihood to the project, but we are not going to maintain it for them and we're not here to fund them. So basically, if I has funding this year, obviously they're working on these projects. but the question comes back to Adam and that's why we instituted this process is because last year we were given a Cardano CLI wallet project called Cardominal.

00:55:00

Christian Taylor: that project didn't get a support contract. Therefore, TXipu as the vendor maintained it on their end, and we have no purpose for it on our end. I'm going to put forth a proposal to sunset that since there's already a clone and we don't have a use case for it. unless the community or committees decide otherwise, but that's why we have this incubation program because it serves any project coming under Intersect.

Christian Taylor: Both the TSC and OSC agree that this should be stewarded here under a vendor neutral banner for the community. So that's the only purpose for in sales.

Jonathan Kelly: I get sorry.

Elaine Cardenas: Thank you.

Jonathan Kelly: I guess the concern is are we going to see repeat instances of things coming in under intersect being forked and then being sunseted? Is that going to be a continuous sort of churn?

Christian Taylor: that only existed for Cardominal...

Christian Taylor: because there wasn't a contract sign there. But yeah, I mean this could happen to any project that doesn't meet the annual requirements of returning to green under our life cycle framework. So,

Elaine Cardenas: Yeah. yeah. I'd just like to say my personal opinion on the incubation program is I don't think we have to be super conservative with respect to I don't think we have to be super conservative in advance on how much hasll stuff like we support cuz I mean

Elaine Cardenas: the typed protocols thing of what is this serialization or robust session type no that's a different thing but one of these is serialization I think sir do and stuff I think this stuff is I should not say that I think at least some of this seems a good potential like fit. So, yeah, I mean there is the concern about how much resources in terms of time that we're putting into it, but I don't think that we necessarily have to prematurely optimize too much on this, especially because we're not giving anybody money on this. Christian

Christian Taylor: Yeah, if Andrew is up to it, he can explain also because he was the open source officer for Hyera and why they moved to the LFDT with Hyro. if you want to speak about that incubation, Andrew.

Andrew Aitken: Yeah, the idea is originally Hashgraph was open source by license. That decision had been made a few years prior, but it was not open source by behavior. In other words, it was technically under an open source license, but it was still a very very closed community with very low participation and the ecosystem DAP builders there wasn't really a effective structure for them to contribute and participate. So the idea was to fully open source and to put it the reason for putting underneath the LFDT was that created a truly one they have a ton of expertise in doing this so it helped provide a structure.

Andrew Aitken: It helped provide credibility and it helped really we used it as kind of a forcing function to create a kind of best practices governance model based on CNCF which in the open source ecosystem has really become kind of the model that people look to. they customize it for their own context. but we based the overall hyro governance model on a CNCF with some tweaks for the ecosystem and who the original founders were and so on. So anyway that was the overall reason and it was a big and gnarly project but I see it it seems to be chugging along and being a part of the LFDT certainly was the right decision.

Elaine Cardenas: Thank we're about at time here. so we did actually have some time allocated after this main meeting to be doing the next item. So I think we're okay on this the MRP program and next steps. yeah. So, anybody who would like to stick around for that of getting the main retainer program hashed out, Sebastian will be leading on this

01:00:00

Sebastian Pabon: Yeah, you have to go. worries about it. But in these two one minute, we can put on the table the main points of the topic and we can work on that on discord asynchronously. please click on the NRP MRP next steps event please. The main points are we need to first interviewing interview schedule of candidates. If you can go to the MRP next steps, Elaine, All right. Thanks a lot. Thanks. Thanks. These are the

Elaine Cardenas: Sorry to interrupt you, but real quick,...

Sebastian Pabon: Go ahead. Okay.

Elaine Cardenas: Tex had his hand raised. Thanks.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I just wanted to signify closure of the main public meeting here as this now transitions into an OC work session.

Christian Taylor: If we get into the actual applications,

Meeting ended after 01:01:28 🙌

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.