Collaborate: Troubleshooting Java for Blackboard Collaborate Collaborate
In order to use Blackboard Collaborate, you must have Java installed (and updated) on your computer. This handout will help you troubleshoot problems that you may experience when trying to connect to a Collaborate web conference session or video recording.
This guide will help you to:
- Clear the Java Cache by Deleting Temporary Files Through the Java Control Panel.
Clear the Java Cache
If you receive the application error pictured below, Click OK and proceed with the following steps.
- Locate the Start menu button on your desktop.
- In the Search box, Type Java.
- As you type, search results will appear in the menu above the search box.
- Do not press the Enter key.
- Click Configure Java.
- From the General tab, in the Temporary Internet Files sections, Find the Java Control Panel.
- Click Settings.
- In the Temporary Files Setting box, there should be a checkmark in the box next to Keep temporary files on my computer.
- If this box is unchecked, Check it.
- Click Delete Files.
- The Delete Files and Applications box will appear.
- Check all of the boxes.
- Click OK.
- The box will close automatically and return you to the Temporary Files Settings box.
- Click OK in the Temporary Files Settings window to close it.
- Click OK in the Java Control Panel window to close it.
- As a final test of your Java, click here to check your system requirements.
- Now, go back to your Moodle course and Select the Collaborate session you would like to join.
If you have further questions, contact IT Helpdesk (282-4357).
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.