Troubleshooting Java for Blackboard Collaborate PC Version Collaborate
In order to use Blackboard Collaborate, you must have Java installed (and updated) on your computer. This handout will help you troubleshoot problems that you may experience when trying to connect to a Collaborate web conference session or video recording.
This guide will help you to:
- Clear the Java cache by deleting Temporary Files through the Java Control Panel.
Error when downloading a Collaborate Session
- If you receive the application error pictured below click OK and proceed with the following steps.
Clearing the Java cache
- Locate the Start menu button on your desktop.
- In the Search box, Type ‘Java.’ As you type search results will appear in the menu above
the search box. Do not press the ‘enter’ key.
- Click on Configure Java.
- In the Java Control Panel, on the General tab, in the Temporary Internet Files sections, click on the Settings button. The Temporary Files Setting box will appear.
- In the Temporary Files Setting box, there should be a checkmark in the box next to ‘Keep temporary files on my computer.’ If this box is unchecked, check it.
- Click on ‘Delete Files.’ The Delete Files and Applications box will appear.
- Check all of the boxes and click OK.
- The box will close automatically and return you to the Temporary Files Settings box. Click OK on the Temporary Files Settings window to close it.
- Click OK on the Java Control Panel window to close it.
- As a final test of your Java, click here to check your system requirements.
- Now go back to your Moodle course and Click on the Collaborate session you would like to join.
If you have further questions please contact the ITRC (282-5880) or the IT Help desk (282-HELP).
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.