What is Google Apps?
Google Apps for Education is a suite of communication and collaboration applications that our students have been using for 7 years and includes:
Why did we choose Google Apps?
Based on our recent growth and cost trends, we looked for an email and calendar solution that could provide with us the following benefits:
- Everyone on the same Communications platform— faculty, staff and students. Our students have been on GAE (Google Apps for Education) for over 7 years.
- Google Calendar - Provides sharable calendars (internally and externally) that integrate seamlessly with Gmail, Drive, Contacts and Hangouts.
- More collaboration features - Google Drive and Google Classroom provide enhanced collaboration between students and faculty. True collaborative editing of shared documents in Drive.
- Real time messaging - Google provides real-time text based and video messaging as well as Google Hangouts for online meetings.
- Unlimited space for email and documents - No more full mailboxes and complex GroupWise archiving. Industry leading spam filtering, business continuity, and disaster recovery.
- No additional fixed costs - including no ongoing licensing, server or storage costs. No additional staffing.
- Our regional peers who are using GAE for faculty and staff email and calendaring today include: Augsburg, Bethel, Concordia, Hamline, Luther, Macalester, Morningside, St. Kates, St Olaf, St. Scholastica, Valparaiso.
- Augustana Going Google FAQ - Click on this for a detailed FAQ answering dozens of questions like “Will my email address stay the same?” (Yes, your email addresses all stay the same).
What does Google Apps include?
- Gmail: Gmail's spam protection, powerful search, and integrated calendars help you get more done. For education, there are absolutely no ads.
- Google Calendar: Spend less time planning and more time doing with shareable calendars that integrate seamlessly with Gmail, Drive, Contacts, Sites, and Hangouts.
- Google Hangouts: Connect any time via video, voice, or text. Use text chat for quick questions and Hangouts for group video calls, virtual office hours, and field trips.
- Google Drive: Share documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Collaborate in real-time with your class or co-workers. Access them from any device and share them instantly. No more sending attachments or merging different versions.
- Google Classroom: Create, share, and grade assignments with ease. Classroom helps you keep classes organized, and improve communication with students.
Google Docs editors
What are the key benefits?
- Lots of storage — You get unlimited online storage between Drive and Gmail. You'll no longer need to worry about deleting messages or archiving them out of your live GroupWise account.
- Enhanced message organization and retrieval — For example, you can add one or more tags, or "labels," to your messages to organize and store them more efficiently. And with the Google-powered search feature, you can find any message quickly and easily, whether it's in your Inbox or stored in your message archive."
- Easier calendar sharing — Google Calendar lets you and your team quickly and easily share your calendars with each other and specify the details you want to show. Calendar sharing is a great way to keep each other informed about your schedules. Now it's easier than ever to find out if someone is in a meeting, on a business trip, or on vacation. Google Apps calendars can also be shared with people outside of Augustana.
- Integrated chat and video conferencing — With the Google Hangouts instant messaging application, you can communicate instantly with other people right from the Gmail interface. In addition, you can automatically save your chats so you can retrieve important information later.
- Store, sync, and share files with ease — Keep files in a secure place with Google Drive's online file storage. Access your work whenever you need it, from your computer, tablet, or phone.
- Real-time collaboration — Using Google Docs editors, you can create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, and more, that you and your collaborators can view and edit at the same time. You can still use your Microsoft Office products as needed, but now you'll have more options for storing and collaborating on your documents.
- Easy-to-build personal or class web sites — With Google Sites, you have the ability to quickly publish a robust internal web site on which to gather all sorts of shared information, such as documents, spreadsheets, presentations, files, and videos. You can even embed Google calendars, discussion forums, and other gadgets on your site!
How will this work?.
- Tentative schedule — Migration process will start on the afternoon of Friday, April 17th. At that time we will copy your email, calendar and address book over to GoogleApps. All new mail from outside of GroupWise will start being delivered to the new accounts that weekend.
- Training sessions — Beginning in early April sessions will be offered to help you prepare for the move to Google Apps. Follow up sessions will be offered after the move to help you learn about more of the Google Apps features. We are also working on a set of web pages with tutorials, Tips and Tricks and FAQ’s to help with the transition.
- Summer Training — Advanced feature workshops and training on using GoogleApps in the classroom will be offered during the summer.
- What about privacy — Our data on Google Apps for Education is protected by our education specific terms of service with Google, which guarantee:
- No ads, no email scanning
- We own the data
- Our calendars are private
- CORE Apps include: Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Sites.
- For more details, see the Google for Education Trust Page - www.google.com/edu/trust
- Consumer apps like Google Plus, YouTube, and Hangouts require our GAE users to click through the consumer terms of service.